Why did it snow in october?

Menna

The Living Force
I have asked this question many times and no one has an intellectual/factual answer. As I drive to and from work for the first time in my life (26years) I can remember seeing leaves covering snow or so much greenery, plant life with snow on the ground. It is pretty evident there is definitely something going on with our planet or outside our planet. I don't know what that something is.

We've published a number of articles on SOTT explaining that things are changing in the solar system, not just on Earth. But on Earth, these changes include a contracting and cooling of the upper atmosphere along with an inner heating of the earth which is releasedvia volcanic activities. This heat causes increased evaporation and the evaporation meeting the colder upper atmosphere then causes precipitation which, depending on other factors, can fall as torrential rains or snow. It also seems that the magnetic field of the earth is weakening and other related factors are coming into play. The end result will likely be the sudden onset of an ice age. That is probably what we are witnessing in fits and starts.

Scroll through the SOTT focus articles and you'll find several that address the problems of climate change.

Laura said:
We've published a number of articles on SOTT explaining that things are changing in the solar system, not just on Earth. But on Earth, these changes include a contracting and cooling of the upper atmosphere along with an inner heating of the earth which is releasedvia volcanic activities. This heat causes increased evaporation and the evaporation meeting the colder upper atmosphere then causes precipitation which, depending on other factors, can fall as torrential rains or snow. It also seems that the magnetic field of the earth is weakening and other related factors are coming into play. The end result will likely be the sudden onset of an ice age. That is probably what we are witnessing in fits and starts.

That sums it up! I woke up here in Colorado to another 8 inches of snow this morning after around a foot of snow last Wednesday morning. It usually snows before Halloween here, but snowing twice before Nov. 2nd is definitely unusual.

It is pretty evident there is definitely something going on with our planet or outside our planet. I don't know what that something is.

I am unclear what you mean? Are you saying that snow before Nov 1st is evidence of "something" going on?

There are a lot of variables here no? Perhaps is "unseasonal" and "unusual" but still well with the realm of a normal possibility in the "chemistry" of weather on the earth. The Northern Hemi - is only 50 odd days away from solstice, and baring any localized warm water warming effect, anything seems possible at the latitudes in question.

Snow in New-York City on July 4 would, to me, seem alarming !

Happyville said:
It is pretty evident there is definitely something going on with our planet or outside our planet. I don't know what that something is.

I am unclear what you mean? Are you saying that snow before Nov 1st is evidence of "something" going on?

I think you have to take more into consideration to get the picture, as Laura pointed out there's a lot going on that you can see for yourself looking back through SOTT. Things do seem rather unusual at the moment, the season was stretched out with a late warm spell and suddenly snapped into early snowfall.

To get more of an idea of 'something going on' just look back through SOTT with reference to rainfall and flooding this last year, and even back into the year before. What you see is an increase in 'once in a lifetime' events, record breaking levels and so on. There's a LOT of moisture in the atmosphere and it really makes you wonder what happens when that level of precipitation starts falling not as rain but as snow.

So its not just a case of early snowfall as an isolated event, sure things are variable. But when you look at the bigger picture it starts to fit with a pattern of weather that is more than a little seasonal variation, or so it seems to me.

Yes snow in the middle of summer would be alarming. I don't think snow in October is alarming (that strong of a shock) but I can't ever remember seeing leaves covering 4-5inches of snow looking at the snow on the ground then looking at the trees and seeing them full not bare is strange to me as I have never seen the area where I live look like this...you are right it's not impossible for it to snow in October but the amount we got here in NY around 6 inches to me it is all "out of character"

Laura- the Sott info will be helpful. You say the magnetic field of the earth is weakening. That is very interesting. How would one measure that/come to that conclusion?

anart said:
That sums it up! I woke up here in Colorado to another 8 inches of snow this morning after around a foot of snow last Wednesday morning. It usually snows before Halloween here, but snowing twice before Nov. 2nd is definitely unusual.

While it's not snowing in NC, it feels like I am in MA around this time of the year. During this past week, every time I woke up, I keep getting that sensation of being in the northern states before the "winter." We had cold rains on Halloween, which is a first time (for me at least, for the last 18 years).

Menna said:
Laura- the Sott info will be helpful. You say the magnetic field of the earth is weakening. That is very interesting. How would one measure that/come to that conclusion?

Do the search on SoTT on magnetic field and read through those articles about that subject. For example, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Fading and Shields down! Earth's magnetic field may drop in a flash (just two examples of many articles on SoTT).

Yes snow in the middle of summer would be alarming. I don't think snow in October is alarming (that strong of a shock) but I can't ever remember seeing leaves covering 4-5inches of snow looking at the snow on the ground then looking at the trees and seeing them full not bare is strange to me as I have never seen the area where I live look like this...you are right it's not impossible for it to snow in October but the amount we got here in NY around 6 inches to me it is all "out of character"

LOL... I should have prefaced by saying I am Canadian, and our endless debates about the weather is sort of engrained into our social cultural fabric.

In short its small talk for us, but the end of the day ( for us ) there is very little that is unusual about unusual weather !!

Even lightening during a snow storm - seen that constantly since I was a kid!!

Happyville said:
...I should have prefaced by saying I am Canadian, and our endless debates about the weather is sort of engrained into our social cultural fabric.

Do you know why 'endless debates about weather' is so engrained in your culture? Is it so engrained that you disregard any information about changes in weather?

1984 said:
Happyville said:
...I should have prefaced by saying I am Canadian, and our endless debates about the weather is sort of engrained into our social cultural fabric.

Do you know why 'endless debates about weather' is so engrained in your culture? Is it so engrained that you disregard any information about changes in weather?

Also, my understanding was that last weekends' snow storms over Canada's east coast, was unusual by Canadian standards too:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/236936-Early-snowfall-rain-pounds-Atlantic-Canada-as-U-S-storm-moves-north

It's easy to lose the big picture when you just focus on your own little world and subjective experiences and understanding. That's why SOTT exists - to constantly scan the planet and its environs (solar system when possible) and try to connect the dots.

There is a whole lot of weird stuff going on and has been for years really kicking off back in 1985, (earlier, really, but that's when I sat up and paid attention!). One thing we have tracked as much as possible is the evidence of "global warming" on the OTHER PLANETS in our solar system. What is happening on Earth is not happening in isolation...

See, for instance: Connecting the Dots: Cosmic Changes, Planetary Instability and Extreme Weather
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/232298-Connecting-the-Dots-Cosmic-Changes-Planetary-Instability-and-Extreme-Weather

Menna said:
Yes snow in the middle of summer would be alarming.

We had snow on the last summer in France, In June to be exact:
http://electra2zeiss.tonempire.net/t6437-incroyable-il-neige-en-france-juin-2011

Strange isnt'it?

In contrast to your snow troubles, we are experiencing unusually sunny skies here in Dalmatia and warm autumn - almost summer(people are swimming in the sea and sunbathing on the beaches... Also I have noticed higher humidity and certain strange stillness all around. Feeling like The Calm before Storm ...

Back
Top Bottom