Why do we not remember our past lives?

DiscoveringTruth

Padawan Learner
I have been seeking a satisfactory explanation for why we are unable to remember our past lives but have been unable to find one. If the universe is one big school and all there is are lessons, then why don't we remember what we learnt in a previous life? Why don't we have the benefit of drawing from a reserve of past experiences/lessons to take better decisions in our present? To be born without any knowledge of our past seems to defeat the purpose of learning, if one assumes that learning is the primary goal of existence. I may be able to avoid making the same mistakes in this life that I made in a past life if I remembered them.

Practically it would be strange to know that you lived in such and such place/time/family earlier but then if that is the objective truth, that one has had previous lives, why not remember crucial lessons that can help me grow faster? I could perhaps carry over my math education from a previous life into the next and progress faster but instead I have to die and forget and do it all over from scratch - all without a clue. I find it extremely strange that reincarnation imposes this amnesia on 3D beings. I don't know if the 4D beings face the same restriction or not or if this is not natural in existence and has been artificially introduced into human beings or because humans needed to learn the lessons "the hard way" for being service to self oriented.

As I'm sure you know DiscoveryTruth there are countless cases that do suggest that a very small minority do have strikingly vivid memories of past lives - but does this ever entail them actually remembering the lessons of that life...? I've never seen that suggestion, so yes, maybe its fair to say we come here blind to that subject... but then again...

A few possible answers to your question :

1. How about because its simply designed to be that way by those who have hijacked this awareness domain for their own purposes? Couldn't have food running around knowing about being food now could we? If one considers the Fall, part of that concept entails blind acceptance of the predatory rules of 3rd density existence - and one of those may be that souls who inhabit here don't get to have the advantage of easily remembering anything concerning what they are here to learn, part of which being perhaps that they are to be hunted.

2. You say we don't remember our lessons but maybe we do in the inherent choice of the next incarnation in that we know what is best for us to learn via the next set of lessons and so we reincarnate into circumstances that enable us to proceed with that. If whilst doing this we actively remembered our previous lessons these could easily distract and or deflect us from the free will opportunities that then arise for us to learn afresh what we need so as to progress. After all just because we have maybe learned a set of lessons doesnt mean this learning creates a continuity of understanding of the implicit nature of all lessons to be learned. Look at scientists today - they learned loads of lessons but they re still believing in the lies of Covid! Also, the idea of being allowed to bring our lessons with us sounds a bit like being allowed to take crib notes into an exam. I know the subject matter seems new but actually it may be very familiar - we just need to apply our selves 'correctly' and the lessons necessary for each incarnation naturally materialize. The choice to learn or not seems to me everything. The ancient Greeks used to say we do not come here to discover but to remember (and this remembering is not about things that happened before but about how familiar or important a lesson feels and how well we can address the learning in the here and now) and I think this hints at that.

3. If say your previous lesson had been hugely traumatic or even horrific (i.e. events that we either do to others or experience done to ourselves that are extreme) it could severely impair our mental and emotional capacity to function at all down here again knowing this. Sort of once bitten, twice shy. We'd just hide under the bed and scream 'I'm not coming out!')

Just a couple of minor thoughts - others will no doubt find better.

Practically it would be strange to know that you lived in such and such place/time/family earlier but then if that is the objective truth, that one has had previous lives, why not remember crucial lessons that can help me grow faster? I could perhaps carry over my math education from a previous life into the next and progress faster but instead I have to die and forget and do it all over from scratch - all without a clue. I find it extremely strange that reincarnation imposes this amnesia on 3D beings. I don't know if the 4D beings face the same restriction or not or if this is not natural in existence and has been artificially introduced into human beings or because humans needed to learn the lessons "the hard way" for being service to self oriented.
I think LESSON is more important than the person name or body or location etc. Our inherent temperaments likes/dislikes/impulses/character/intuitions etc. comes from the past learned lessons in the current life's context/ blue print ( say Level 1 lessons) that can't be totally identified with physical body however "settled" science tend to insist on.

If we consider the parallel time lines, multiple life at the same time ( time is our 3D construct), up-stair controllers ability to change timelines and so on, it complicates current life's lesson more if one keep remembering previous life's nuts and bolts and trying to handle it. We know, it's painful

Why don't we have the benefit of drawing from a reserve of past experiences/lessons to take better decisions in our present? To be born without any knowledge of our past seems to defeat the purpose of learning, if one assumes that learning is the primary goal of existence
Have you noticed how some people are able to learn a subject / instrument or skill faster than others ? Maybe that knowledge is buried in their subconscious from a previous life already.

I think if we were able to directly remember, it would be cheating and there would actually inhibit your chance to learn more refined lessons, so there would be no point in incarnating.

There are meditation exercises you can do to access previous lives.

It's not quite like we don't remember our past lives. It's actually our choice. This is something I remember.

From a biological perspective, our mind assimilates more memories over time. A sensitive person remembers everyone they have met. He/she suffers because of their loss. Such a person's life is never completely complete. Such an oversensitive person has wounds and scars that cannot heal fully.

When you are 5, you can go on living with a few scars. Life can get excruciating when you are 30 years old. Sometimes it just so happens that you've lived 100 years into 30 years and you don't know what to do next. It exhausts you. When you come back to your memories, you feel that they are carrying too much luggage.

You remember strange things. You remember too much. You remember prehistory and history because you chose that. What you wear then is very heavy.

You can live 120 years ... You remember all those who were close to you but died.

At some point you can't live with it. You want to be born and not know the drama.

But you can choose a world where you remember it too. This usually only resembles normal memory at times.

Imagine... You're 15, you're in high school, but you feel like thousands of years, millions of years or more. It's your choice. You live with it every day, you bear a cruel burden. And you can do a lot. You can learn very quickly. You have it all in you, but at the same time you suffer more than others.

What you choose? Remember how it's all done, remember love and loss, remember the pain you've been through? Or maybe you prefer to live a normal life?

I am almost 30 years old today. But I remember everything. It's not clear, but I can see it and know it. It is very hard every day. This is a very rare choice. I have never chosen that way before, I remember it too.

I remember what happened before I was born. But it hurts. It is not nice. This is a nightmare. This is something that returns every day and this choice is my nightmare.

Funny/odd how extreme trauma, while horrible, is at least memorable. (Boy am I in a quirky mood)
Hence, I am terrified of fire. I am terribly afraid of a fire on the plane. This memory is one of my strongest memories. An absolute nightmare. I'm being burned at the stake and everyone's looking at it.

So is it worth remembering past lives?

When I see a match, I am afraid. When I see an airplane engine, I panic. I am being lifted above the ground and I only feel that they will burn me at the stake in a moment.

At that time, I had no escape route. It was in France. There was nothing I could do, no one could do anything. There was a fire under me and I wanted to do so much. And I did nothing. I died on that stake. I was burned.

I started remembering it again when I was 20. Earlier, I had superseded this memory. It was so hard. I had big dreams, they were all taken away.

When you remember such things, you take more care. These days I am not in danger of being burned at the stake, but when I'm on a plane I think about it.

The plane is synonymous with that to me. I have no choice. I am left to my fate.

Hence, I am terrified of fire. I am terribly afraid of a fire on the plane. This memory is one of my strongest memories. An absolute nightmare. I'm being burned at the stake and everyone's looking at it.

So is it worth remembering past lives?
My thing is more from being thrown off of cliffs/high places. My stomach churns. I can’t even watch others. If my wife is taking a photo at a lookout point, I can’t watch. It feels like I am about to be heaved into a certain death. Although the specific memory I have is being suffocated as an infant by a green velvet pillow.

Is it “worth” remembering? What is worth? It’s an open question for each individual.

My thing is more from being thrown off of cliffs/high places. My stomach churns. I can’t even watch others. If my wife is taking a photo at a lookout point, I can’t watch. It feels like I am about to be heaved into a certain death. Although the specific memory I have is being suffocated as an infant by a green velvet pillow.

Is it “worth” remembering? What is worth? It’s an open question for each individual.
For me, it is worth remembering about this.

If I did not remember, I would not be sure of the direction I was taking.

But at the same time, memories from previous lives can be remarkably vivid. Hundreds of years pass, but it is as if it happened yesterday. That's why you don't want to remember it. Do you understand that?

Back
Top Bottom