Wikileaks - Julian Assange Discussion

This one is extremely underreported. I only found that one report in English and another one in german (see two links below). Would be good to share it, so that it at least gets a bit of traction:

UK: 370 world leaders, politicians, diplomats, and lawyers pen open letter calling for Assange's release | Video Ruptly

www.ruptly.tv/en/videos/20200921-056-UK--370-world-leaders--politicians--diplomats--and-lawyers-pen-open-letter-calling-for-Assange-s-release said:
UK: 370 world leaders, politicians, diplomats, and lawyers pen open letter calling for Assange's release

Some 370 world leaders, politicians, lawyers and academics called on the release of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange from prison signing an open letter, according to Lawyers for Assange member and legal researcher Polona Florijancic, London, Monday.

The open letter is addressed to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and other government ministers and includes signatories ranging from Argentine President Alberto Fernandez to former Brazilian Presidents Dilma Rousseff and Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

"On the one hand we have a journalist who has exposed incredible war crimes and torture and corruption, on the other hand we have the embarrassed superpower that wants to prosecute him," said Polona Florijancic, an independent legal researcher and member of Lawyers for Assange. "Currently, 190 lawyers and legal academics, judges and professors have signed this letter, including 19 lawyers' associations, three of them with consultative status at the United Nations."

"The prominent signatories from the politicians now are the heads of state. And here I would like to mention (former Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis) Zapatero who is a lawyer himself," Florijancic continued. "So, you can see again someone who knows exactly what he is signing." Assange has been behind bars in Belmarsh Prison since he was dragged out of the Ecuadorian Embassy in April 2019. He faces multiple charges in the US related to espionage. His trial on possible US extradition started on September 7. [...]

Trump ‘offering out pardons like Christmas gifts’, report says​

Everyone from Joe Exotic to the president himself is under consideration, while Eduard Snowden has asked for Julian Assange to be added to the list

On the twelfth day of Christmas, reports suggests Donald Trump may send anyone he's ever spoken to a pardon in a get-out-of-jail-free card, even if they haven't asked for one.
In a report from Axios quoting sources with direct knowledge of White House conversations, the president is blindly discussing pardons "like Christmas gifts" not just to specific requests but to "every person who ever talked to me".

Mr Trump has reportedly been relishing the authority to grant pardons preemptively, and has been interrupting meetings to ask if anyone wants to be added to his list, which he'll no doubt be checking twice. Sources quoted in the report, however, were unclear as to whether Mr Trump was being serious or joking.
Some advisers felt awkward being put on Mr Trump's naughty or nice list, saying they didn't believe they had committed any crimes that would require a presidential pardon, and receiving one could hurt their public image.

Christmas has already come early for some of Mr Trump's inner circle, with former national security adviser Michael Flynn receiving one of his first pardons that reportedly sets a template for a wave of pardons to come for friends and loyalists.
That could include everyone from Rudy Giuliani to Joe Exotic, if the president's tweeting habits are to be believed.

Mr Trump retweeted a post from Matt Gaetz in November that he should pardon everyone in his administration in anticipation of the bloodlust from the Democrats – including himself.
While Twitter is outside the traditional request formalities of the pardon process, which White House attorneys are said to also be working through, high-profile candidates at the top of many Christmas wish lists have been making submissions directly to the president.

Former National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden asked Mr Trump to pardon WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
"Mr President, if you grant only one act of clemency during your time in office, please: free Julian Assange. You alone can save his life," Mr Snowden said in a tweet.

Although he didn't ask for one himself, Mr Snowden has been floated as having prime pardon potential, with Democrat lawmaker Tulsi Gabbard joining the chorus calling for his freedom as someone who "at great personal sacrifice, exposed the deception and criminality of those in the deep state".

What remains unclear is whether Mr Trump intends to pardon himself in anticipation of future potential legal issues, and, if he does, whether it would be in any way legal.
While he has declared he has the "absolute right" to issue himself a pre-emptive pardon, legal experts are divided on whether it is legal under the Constitution.
Left vague by the Founding Fathers and never tested in the courts, the legality of a personal presidential pardon could be challenged by some future charge of criminality for which the pardon could be used as a defence.
The court would then rule on the text of the Constitution, which says “power to grant reprieves and pardons for offences against the United States, except in cases of impeachment”.
“You could say, implicit in the definition of a pardon or implicit in the notion of granting a pardon – because the Constitution uses the word ‘grant’ – is that it’s two separate people,” Brian Kalt, a law professor at Michigan State University, told The Associated Press. “You can’t grant something to yourself. You can’t pardon yourself.”
That legal theory was cited in a 1974 opinion from the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel that said “it would seem” a president could not pardon himself – issued just days before President Richard Nixon resigned following the Watergate scandal.
The workaround, it suggested, was a president resigning and transferring presidential power to the vice president to issue the pardon.

Pamela Anderson dons bikini, asks President Trump to pardon Julian Assange​

I don't know about Assagne, I did see Lindsay Graham double down on Snowden for treason.

Keeping in mind Graham is on Trump's side with the election fraud pursuit I find it an unlikely move. If he does he risks loosing support from politicians
He knows he would get immense support from many people if he does pardon them, I wouldn't be optimistic in it will happen mainly for strategic reasons.

He needs support from republicans who may have strong opinions on the both of them.

Been hearing the argument of, "why can't he just pardon them since he is being cheated" I think it's strategic, I think he will keep trying every card before dropping the hammer on things in case he runs out of options, which signals to me, there are more surprises, or maybe he may not be seeing all his possible moves, or new avenues are opening for him.

Trump ‘offering out pardons like Christmas gifts’, report says​

Everyone from Joe Exotic to the president himself is under consideration, while Eduard Snowden has asked for Julian Assange to be added to the list

On the twelfth day of Christmas, reports suggests Donald Trump may send anyone he's ever spoken to a pardon in a get-out-of-jail-free card, even if they haven't asked for one.
In a report from Axios quoting sources with direct knowledge of White House conversations, the president is blindly discussing pardons "like Christmas gifts" not just to specific requests but to "every person who ever talked to me".

Mr Trump has reportedly been relishing the authority to grant pardons preemptively, and has been interrupting meetings to ask if anyone wants to be added to his list, which he'll no doubt be checking twice. Sources quoted in the report, however, were unclear as to whether Mr Trump was being serious or joking.

Following on the heels of one of President Trump's latest Tweets :-

Is this recent statement on Parler by a well connected insider.
"THE ELEVENTH HOUR"

Following on the heels of one of President Trump's latest Tweets :-

Is this recent statement on Parler by a well connected insider.
"THE ELEVENTH HOUR"

By de-coding the image, some have said the date for Assange's release is 4th January 2021

Let's all hope for that.

CIA Gina Haspel also indicated the significance of the date 4th January 2021

Well, the Brits have finally made a ruling on Assange's case.

Officially, he's not being extradited, but it doesn't sound to me like they're going to actually release him anytime soon.

The judge was in complete agreement with the charges, implicitly ruling that she finds the US govt has legal standing to try and sentence an Australian citizen for 'treason', 'spying' and 'conspiracy'.

The judge ruled that she believed Assange would receive a fair trial in the US, but 'out of concern for his welfare', ruled against extradition. The judge stating this is from the very system that has psychologically tortured him (and that's not hyperbole - that's the finding in a report compiled by Nils Melzer, the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture).

The judge ruled: "Faced with conditions of near total isolation [in U.S. prisons]... I am satisfied that the procedures (outlined by U.S. authorities) will not prevent Mr. Assange from finding a way to commit suicide."

The judge doesn't seem to be worried that Assange will not be well treated; she's worried that the Americans aren't diligent enough to ensure that he'll not kill himself and thus spend many more long years behind bars.

By accepting the substance of the charges and narrowing the focus to 'concern that Assange may top himself because the US prison system is too cruel (unlike ours here in Green and Pleasant England!)', she appears to me to have given the US prosecutors an easy path for overturning the ruling.

I guess we shall see in the coming weeks. As we've seen throughout Covid-1984, the British ruling class are adept at speaking out of both sides of their mouths in order to deceive people and mask their real intentions.

Things are being discussed behind the scenes.

By accepting the substance of the charges and narrowing the focus to 'concern that Assange may top himself because the US prison system is too cruel (unlike ours here in Green and Pleasant England!)', she appears to me to have given the US prosecutors an easy path for overturning the ruling.
I was thinking the same thing, and read that an appeal to overturn the ruling is expected. I think the fight is far from over.

The Australian journalists union called on the US to drop its attempts to prosecute Assange. “Julian has suffered a 10-year ordeal for trying to bring information of public interest to the light of day,” Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance President Marcus Strom said.

But we are dismayed that the judge showed no concern for press freedom in any of her comments, and effectively accepted the US arguments that journalists can be prosecuted for exposing war crimes and other government secrets, and for protecting their sources.”
[...]

The judge rejected many of Assange’s legal arguments, including that the charges were politically motivated and that he would not receive a fair trial in America. The judge and defence teams later discussed an application for bail. The US government is expected to appeal against the decision within the designated 15-day period.

Back
Top Bottom