Would horse be a potential beef substitute ?

eightyfour

Padawan Learner
Non ruminant animal capable of digesting grass. It might be a way to get around the climate bureaucracy. People in parts of Italy eat horse and people in Siberia keep small horses for meat. It would require a bit of selective breeding for a more robust conformation.
I don't understand why its a bit of a taboo in the UK and former colonies. Nutritionaly the iorn content is high which is a problem for regular consumption not sure how bad that is. Anyone on here eaten horse ?

That was interesting, but alas no, I have never had horse, I've had duck, rabbit, frogs, lamb, and the usual western ones.. cow, pork, chicken, several types of fish.

But what caught my attention is the liver remarks they made, I have not met anyone in the US who like beef liver, and I really like it, and most of the people I've asked usually think it's such an odd thing to eat, but it's delicious.

So, I am not sure, I think there's something to the idea that there's a cultural barrier, I also think that horses have a more emotional attachment for most people and that's why they won't consider eating them, I am one of those I must admit. I think horses are closer to pets than game for most people I've met.

But I'd be willing to consider trying it, if I had the opportunity.

In Switzerland they used to have two types of butchers - either you sold horse meat only, or you sold every other meat. But both was not possible - not sure why.

I’ve had horse meat frequently when I grew up - it’s got a sweetish taste that is a bit different to the other meats, but I always thought it was OK to eat.

Here in Australia I haven’t seen any horse meat on sale, ever.

So there must definitely be some cultural influence with horse meat …

I don't understand why its a bit of a taboo in the UK and former colonies. Nutritionaly the iorn content is high which is a problem for regular consumption not sure how bad that is. Anyone on here eaten horse ?

It's complex. Horses are associated with nobility and warfare here, so they would have been highly valued in many cases by people who influence society from the top down. This might be a somewhat outdated view now but there are still a lot of people who keep horses for the love of riding and develop strong bonds with them. Many of them tend to be very wealthy, horses are expensive to acquire and own. It isn't so much a logical thing as it is emotional. I don't feel comfortable with eating dogs or horses, for example, and I have never owned either. In the case of dogs there are some logical reasons not to eat carnivores, but horses would appear to be a good choice from a nutrition point of view.

In the past, people would eat horses if they were hungry or poor enough (whereas eating dogs would probably be a very last resort). People ate horse in the part of the country I live in as recently as the 1930's. Wealth and comfortable times have helped turn this into a taboo, possibly even the association with poverty is part of it. What both horses and dogs have in common is the way they have been used historically has involved a strong bond with humans, and they have been given the opportunity over generations to demonstrate many fine qualities which have separated them from other animals in our culture. Pigs, for example, are clearly very intelligent but they have not generally been given such an opportunity.

This article sums up the situation, I think.

If theirs a time where no one can't have sheep cattle or goats and get expected to eat fake meat. Horse, pigs, rabbit and ginney pigs are probably the next best option. Pigs are a fairly smart animal that will behave like a dog if allowed to free range (i had one following me around like a dog for a couple of weeks). I can understand not wanting to eat a friendly animal but i still eat bacon because its not the same pig.

J'ai eu la chance d'avoir un cheval APPACHE qui est toujours dans mes prières aujourd'hui, cela ne me viendrait pas à l'esprit de manger du cheval, je ne mange aucun bébé animal... Je me contente de boeuf, de porc... Mais ceux ci sont dans mes prières aussi chaque jour...
"Oh Divin Esprit Cosmique je remets entre tes mains tous les animaux que nous avons tué, que nous tuons, que nous tuerons, tous les animaux que nous avons torturé, que nous torturons, que nous torturerons, que nous avons abandonné, que nous abandonnons, que nous abandonnerons, tous les animaux à qui ont a pris leur chair, leur peau, leur plumes, leur amour, leur vie, leur amour, leur confiance à nous les humains"
Cette prière est dite chaque jour matin et soir...
J'étais végétarienne avant de venir au forum de LAURA...

I was lucky enough to have an APPACHE horse that is still in my prayers today, it would not occur to me to eat horse, I don't eat any baby animal... I am content with beef, pork... But those are in my prayers too every day...
"Oh Divine Cosmic Spirit I put in your hands all the animals that we have killed, that we are killing, that we will kill, all the animals that we have tortured, that we are torturing, that we will torture, that we have abandoned, that we are abandoning, that we will abandon, all the animals from whom we humans have taken their flesh, their skin, their feathers, their fur, their life, their love, their trust.
This prayer is said every day morning and evening...
I was a vegetarian before coming to LAURA's forum...

I've never developed the taste for that type of protein substitute. But it's big at the local butcher in Fr.
I am too partial to lamb being in the cornerstone of France's largest population of basque herders.

The local herders maintain large populations of stock in the area which keeps prices competitive and balanced by large open-range herding.

A big plus since I enjoy the nutrients from the fat with the Keto properties that it offers

1665591155152.png
But I'd be willing to consider trying it, if I had the opportunity.
I have to agree that in the coming time food sources will be the new gold perhaps for a short period of time and another danger as well, especially during famines.

1665592710622.png

friendly animal but i still eat bacon because its not the same pig.
Agree!
I'll just adapt though it would be a little difficult since my encounters with this 2D entity (from what I've experienced) have always been at some level of mental communication thru a pattern recognition of happiness.

And that change may take some adjustment with adapting it as a protein food source. Just have to wait and see.

Here in Chile, the local traditional dried meat product is called charqui and is made from horse meat.

Horse meat seems to be more popular in the areas with a large indigenous Mapuche population, central-south and south parts of Chile.

And there have been cases where horse meat has fraudulently been sold as beef, because to most people it tastes like beef except stronger.

The source of the meat is important, as you do not want meat from a previous farm horse that may have been pumped with pharmaceuticals and other contaminants.

Personally, I've only tried charqui and never a direct cut of horse meat unless I may have been unknowingly scammed.

As I've been going out hunting this season, I've noticed the herds of wild horses that run loose on the local Indian Reserve that I pass through when heading up into the mountains. There is admittedly something pretty romantic about them.

I think that horses were far too useful an animal to be considered for food. One can ride a cow, it is technically possible, but I think there's a reason why cows aren't regularly saddled up to go fro a ride. One can employ an ox to haul wagons or for other brute tasks like tilling, but the horse is much more versatile than the bovids, is easily rideable once trained, can pull carts, be used to till, and my guess is that they are more intelligent as well.

I've had the thought that each animal from 2D arrived on earth with their own specific missions particular to their group Soul. I think the corollary to this would be the Native American notion that each animal carries a 'medicine' - each has particular characteristics (such as an eagle's sight or the snake's ability to shed its skin, a deer's gentleness) that humans can look to for information. These 'medicine characteristics' could be sort of like the animal version of what we call virtues.

So in addition to what Ben mentioned - cultural notions of nobility, and the widespread use of cavalry in the history of warfare - I think that beyond the metaphorical richness of the animals, horses were also an incredible physical asset, and the primary work animal on a lot of farms. In that sense, they were worth much more alive than dead. Their productive capacity was simply too great to consider them on the table, unless times got really tough.

That said, the thought has crossed my hunter's mind that a single one of those wild horses would feed a lot of people if it were to come to that... I don't think the global situation is there yet, though.

I’ve had horse meat frequently when I grew up - it’s got a sweetish taste that is a bit different to the other meats, but I always thought it was OK to eat.
From my own experience I can confirm the taste of horse meat. I was rather fond of it in my student days and shortly after, but nowadays it's quite rare to find and not easy to get. It's something of a connoisseur's niche market in the Netherlands as far as the real meat is concerned. On the other hand, readymade products which contain horse meat are regularly available: horse smoked meat for sandwich topping, horse smoked sausages, canned stew, meat croquettes, bitter balls and mince bars - to name a few.

Horse meat is consumed in Mexico because it is cheaper than beef. Horse meat is mainly used in inexpensive restaurants. Horse meat, besides being more economical, has more muscle mass than fat, so its protein content is higher and its consumption is recommended by nutritionists in Mexico.

Mexico is among the three main exporters of this product, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Mexico, China and the United States are the countries with the highest rate of horse production.

In Mexico City there is a market specialized in meats that are considered exotic: Lion, Ostrich, Armadillo, Lizard, Deer and Horse among others, even insects.

According to USDA nutritional information

Horse Meat

Amount per 100 grams
Calories 175
Total fat 6 g
Saturated fatty acids 1.9 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 55 mg
Potassium 379 mg
Carbohydrate 0 g
Dietary fiber 0 g
Protein 28 g
Vitamin C 2 mg
Calcium 8 mg
Iron 5 mg
Vitamin B6 0.3 mg
Vitamin B12 3.2 µg
Magnesium 25 mg

Beef meat

Amount per 100 grams
Calories 250
Total fat 15 g
Saturated fatty acids 6 g
Trans fatty acids 1.1 g
Cholesterol 90 mg
Sodium 72 mg
Potassium 318 mg
Carbohydrate 0 g
Dietary fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 26 g
Vitamin C 0 mg
Calcium 18 mg
Iron 2.6 mg
Vitamin D 7 IU
Vitamin B6 0.4 mg
Vitamin B12 2.6 µg
Magnesium 21 mg

So, Horse meat is a good option.

Here in Sweden they sell horse meat as cold cuts, calling it “Hamburger meat” for reasons unknown. Perhaps because it sounds more neutral rather than Horse Meat. The Swedish way is often a bit of the silent way. “Not into your face” kind of way. For a better term - i call it cowardly.

A decade ago or longer, there was a huge scandal unfolding in Sweden, where it was discovered that the much cheaper horse meat was sold as expensive entrecôte beef to restaurants and customers alike.

A semi scandalous news story broke here in the UK a few years back (maybe 5, I'm not sure) about our frozen food "beef" meals actually being horse and they were not labelled as thus, a cardinal sin here in the UK.

Many of us were grossed out, but a fair portion of people also said "meat is meat".

I wouldn't voluntarily eat horse unless I had to out of necessity, and not globalist necessity - but life or starvation.

I rarely bought those frozen products, I haven't once since that story.

Lords knows what else they're feeding us ... I reckon we've already been Soylent Greened.

It has been mentioned here already. Horse meat has about half the fat compared to beef. And beef already has very little of fat.

More importantly, horse is not considered for human consumption, therefore there is a whole lot of drugs allowed to be used throughout the lifetime of which nobody really knows how potentially harmful they could be to us, humans. Assuming we talk about a regular farm horses. Wild horses? Probably even better. Race horses? No thank you. Those things are fed with such potent cocktails that it is a miracle it lives as long as it does.

Back
Top Bottom