The Amygdala Hijack and more

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
This lecture is a fascinating exposition of all the things we discuss in the context of "The Work" and more. He explains many work concepts in terms of neurobiology and I think this is a MUST WATCH for everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hoo_dIOP8k&feature=player_embedded

More from Dr. Daniel Goleman here:

http://digital.films.com/play/6KHRP5

Emotional Intelligence, with Daniel Goleman

Based on Daniel Goleman’s best-selling book, this classic program spotlights Dr. Goleman as he argues that strong interpersonal skills, not just IQ, shape a person’s prospects. According to the acclaimed clinical psychologist’s research, people who are emotionally intelligent tend to have more success as parents and partners as well as in their chosen field of employment because they have mastered the five basic emotional competencies: self-awareness, emotion management, motivation, empathy, and social skills. Unlike IQ, EQ—emotional quotient—can be learned. Regardless of age, Goleman asserts, individuals can strengthen and deepen their relationship with themselves and others. Distributed by PBS Distribution. (70 minutes)

The link also includes these short clips:

Playlist: Emotional Intelligence, with Daniel Goleman

Introduction to Emotional Intelligence (04:12)

Dr. Daniel Goleman says IQ predicts only ten to twenty percent of life's personal and financial success. Other factors such as parent's income, luck, and emotional intelligence make up the other eighty to ninety percent.

Explanation of Emotional Intelligence (02:30)

In most aspects of life it takes something beyond intellect to do well. A person who is gracious and caring has high emotional intelligence, which can lead to success. Emotional intelligence is not fixed and continues to improve each decade.

Recent Discoveries in Neuroscience (02:48)

The first layer of the brain is the stem; it controls automatic reactions and doesn't think or learn. The limbic system is the emotional brain which added the ability to learn. The growth of the neocortex shows that feelings came before thoughts.

Amygdala Hijack (01:26)

An amygdala hijack occurs when the neuron between the amygdala and thalamus recognizes a feeling as an emergency. The signs of a amygdala hijack are a quick and sudden reaction, strong emotion, and a sense of regret after the fact.

Just Say No Neurons (02:27)

Inhibitory neurons in the prefrontal lobe of the brain have the power to let the brain reject impulses; Dr. Goleman calls them "just say no neurons". A deficiency in these neurons will result in bad behavior; Mike Tyson is used as an example.

Self Awareness (02:36)

Emotion intelligence refers to the brain circuits that allow people to be intelligent about their emotions. Self awareness is the first part of emotional intelligence. This is the ability to recognize feelings, which allows people to make sound decisions

Hunches and Intuition (02:57)

A case studied by Antonio Damasio is used to illustrate the effects of having no emotional intelligence even when intellect and memory are present. Intuition should be used in conjunction with rational thought when making decisions.

Managing Emotions (04:52)

Every emotion is an action plan for the body; an impulse to react. Managing Emotions is the second aspect of emotional intelligence. It allows the brain to control the impulses caused by emotions. The marshmallow test" is used as an example.

Motivation (01:27)

Motivation is the third part of emotional intelligence Emotions motivate individuals towards goals. Optimism am important motivator. The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is what the person tells them self when faced with an obstacle.

Empathy (01:14)

Empathy is the fourth part of emotional intelligence; it refers to the ability to know what someone is feeling using nonverbal cues. Empathy is crucial to getting along with other people. Sympathetic distress in babies is an example of empathy.

Lack of Empathy (02:50)

Empathy is what keeps people form harming others. Children who have not learned empathy from their parents do not realize that they can recognize and respond appropriately to other people's feelings.

Handling the Emotions of Others (02:24)

The fifth part of emotional intelligence is the ability to handle emotions in other people. Those who are adept at social skill recognize that emotions are passed from one person to another in every interaction.

Emotional Intelligence and Health (01:36)

Being intelligent about emotions is good for health. People who are chronically distressed have double the risk of developing a major disease. One key to handling stress is obtaining the tools to calm down.

Keys to Handling Stress (03:21)

The three keys to handling stress are changing circumstances, changing perception, and changing the way the body reacts to the stress. Exercise, prayer, and meditation are all ways to calm and relax your body.

Emotional Intelligence in Marriage (03:41)

Emotional intelligence plays a major role in the success of marriages. Without it arguments can escalate from defensive counter attacks, to disgust and contempt, to stonewalling. This can be avoided if the prefrontal lobe is given a chance to react.

Emotional Intelligence at Work (02:19)

The story of Melburn McBroom is used to illustrate the importance of emotional intelligence at work. Effective communication in the work place can be accomplished by choosing an appropriate time, place, and manner to address a problem.

Declining Emotional Intelligence (02:20)

Over 15 years America's children showed a steep decline in emotional intelligence; anger, depression, disobedience, and loneliness were more prevalent than they had been before. Courses in emotional literacy can raise emotional intelligence in kids.

Parents and Emotional Intelligence (02:50)

Parents are their children's main emotional tutor. Parents are given many opportunities to teach emotional intelligence. School bully's are an example of children lacking emotional intelligence.

Teaching Emotional Intelligence in Schools (01:54)

Schools across the country have started to teach emotional intelligence as part of the regular curriculum. Kids who are exposed to this have fewer problems like fights and substance abuse, they also have higher test scores.

Handling an Amygdala Hijack (02:21)

One of the fundamental skills of emotional intelligence is handling an amygdala hijack. There are five steps that can be used to improve in this area; watch yourself , find a model, notice signals, short circuit the hijack, and repeat steps.

Emotional Brilliance (03:10)

Dr. Daniel Goleman shares a story that perfectly explains emotional intelligence.

Newest Research on Emotional Intelligence (01:55)

Emotional intelligence is a different way of being smart. Dr. Goldman shares a story to illustrate this concept.

Importance of Emotional Intelligence at Work (01:39)

According to Dr. Daniel Goleman, when it comes to career success, emotional intelligence matters far more than IQ. Based on data from 200 companies, emotional intelligence is twice as important as cognitive and technical abilities combined.

Self Awareness (02:27)

A break down of how the five emotional intelligence skills matters for outstanding performance at work, reveals that a combination of gut feelings and relevant data are used in decision making by all successful professionals.

Managing Emotions (01:23)

Self control is a factor of emotional intelligence. How well business people are able to restrain themselves and their impulses plays a large role in having a successful career. Being conscientious is another beneficial trait to possess.

Motivation (01:07)

According to Dr. Daniel Goleman, motivation is a key factor in emotional intelligence. One of the major signs of high motivation is a constant drive to improve performance.

Empathy (01:34)

Dr. Goleman says empathy is one way emotional intelligence matters at work. The ability to recognize how people are felling and responding to you has to do with the art of listening.

Social Skill (02:19)

Social skill, the fifth component of emotional intelligence, is crucial for business success. Social skill determines how well one can handle relationships. Persuasion and the ability to resolve conflict are two aspects of social skill.

Q&A With Dr. Goleman (02:16)

Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity (ADHD) is discussed because hyperactivity is poor impulse control. A question about amygdala hijack in preschool age children gives insight into teaching emotional intelligence to children.

Thank you for this Laura, fascinating indeed.

To me one of the important subjects was the relationship of emotional 'centre' to
the frontal part of the cortex {intellectual centre).
Observation shows that emotional reaction is very fast and that is hard wired,
the rational thought comes later.
Therefore one has to train oneself to take a deep breath and in about 90 seconds
the chemical charge of the emotion will dissipate enabeling clear thought.
He also mentions the positive results of meditation.
With respect to love (question at the end) it was interesting to learn that there are
three regions of the brain involved but that the long lasting relationship depends
on the importance of caring ot empathy.

Thanks for mentioning this video.

I watched it last night and found it very enlightening.

One thing I thought was interesting was his comment at the beginning about how just watching his lecture would not make a person more emotionally intelligent.

In part, I agree, I think some of those brain circuits he describes are more or less set in people from an early age. I think that's the whole point of the Work: is that it takes a lot of 'work' to change from being a reaction machine, running from one Amygdala hijack to another, to a machine functioning at a higher level.

But I think he contradicts himself later on when he mentions the information about meditation and how it strengthens the left-brain circuits that allow for the calm processing of emotions. So, he actually does give some practical advise at boosting one's emotional intelligence, OSIT.

Then there's the whole topic of psychopathy and one wonders how all of this differs in those individuals.

He discussed the story about the lawyer who had brain surgery to remove a tumor in his frontal lobe. The lawyer later tested perfectly fine on all known psychological tests, but his life fell apart because his amygdala couldn't properly communicate with his pre-frontal cortex -- he couldn't regulate his emotional responses anymore. It almost sounded like this lawyer was surgically made (by accident) into a psychopath of sorts, or something close to that. Actually, I'm not sure if 'psychopath' is the best term to describe this lawyer after his surgery though, because the lawyer still had enough self-awareness to realize something was wrong with him (psychopaths don't have this ability AFAIK). This man had lived all his life with the ability to regulate his emotions and suddenly this function was turned off. That's kind of scary actually!

Thank you Laura for the link. I just watched it and it's fascinating.

So much of interest but what was gripping for me was the link between meditation and the strengthening of the calming influence of the left pre frontal cortex to calm down the fear response. Not only that but it is transferrable to someone else!!

You can actually improve your emotional response by mediatation and directly influence someone else simply because you feel more in control. Now that is powerful stuff!!! :hug2:

Laura said:
This lecture is a fascinating exposition of all the things we discuss in the context of "The Work" and more.

Fascinating indeed!

There are also two quotes wich He uses in his book Emotional Inteligence wich I think greatly shows the essence of self mastery trough work on emotions:

Anyone can become angry — that is easy.
But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree,
at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way —
that is not easy.
(Aristotle, The Nicomachean Ethics)

"You can only see things clearly with your heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
— A. de Saint-Exupery

"Self motivation depends on the strength of the amygdala circuitry" is something too that has lessened with compulsory education. The behaviors of most people have been conditioned to a large extent by their "training by the bell" in the public fool system a la Pavlov. Not only is the "goal" provided by an external authority, i.e. the requirements of the teacher but also the "reward" is determined by the external measurement of the report card. This is effect leaves people with very little motivation in general. Same thing, OSIT, with the external "reward" of money in working for a job. Where are the internal rewards for an individual expression of creativity especially at a corporate job where productivity is measured in seconds now?

Here's an excellent video that shows the history of this conditioning of the masses. It's a long 2 hour video but pulls a lot of info into it including many MK projects and recent research showing how cooperative learning is superior in all aspects. This video is very well done and dramatically shows why we humans are called "resources" by the MCS.

http://www.openfilm.com/videos/human-resources

Thanks, Laura, for the link to a fascinating lecture.

Ryanx said:
He discussed the story about the lawyer who had brain surgery to remove a tumor in his frontal lobe. The lawyer later tested perfectly fine on all known psychological tests, but his life fell apart because his amygdala couldn't properly communicate with his pre-frontal cortex -- he couldn't regulate his emotional responses anymore. It almost sounded like this lawyer was surgically made (by accident) into a psychopath of sorts, or something close to that. Actually, I'm not sure if 'psychopath' is the best term to describe this lawyer after his surgery though, because the lawyer still had enough self-awareness to realize something was wrong with him (psychopaths don't have this ability AFAIK). This man had lived all his life with the ability to regulate his emotions and suddenly this function was turned off. That's kind of scary actually!

My take on the lawyer's predicament was in terms of intelligence being the ability to feel what you are reasoning. For the lawyer, whose IQ remained at the pre-surgery level, his emotional quotient plummeted. The lawyer was unable to access his amygdala and thus was unable to have any emotional connection to different times for the appointments. Every single time looked exactly the same as every other and so he was unable to make a decision. Normally a certain degree of feeling enters into our decision-making, even for something as simple as an appointment (at least it does for me!!).

Thank YOU Laura for sharing this. Every fascinating:

I have some "understanding" of why people at work ask me: "Why are you always smiling, I guess you haven't been here long enough to be depressed, angry, etc. Don't worry you get the full effect soon enough."

Well, I enjoy meeting new people and there is always something different everyday to do at work, as compared to doing something repetitiously every single day.

And the discussion about how meditation has an effect. I wish some, at least one, at my work place would listen about how the EE program can be a GREAT benefit -I've tried to discuss it before, but they are more interested on the "illusions" of life.

slowone said:
You can actually improve your emotional response by meditation and directly influence someone else simply because you feel more in control. Now that is powerful stuff!!!

As mentioned by slowone: maybe I should attempt the discussion about meditation again and see if I have emotional response NOT to influence them, but maybe to emotionally"charge" them into viewing mediation as a plausible solution/self-help to what ever might "ails" them.

with some SOTT article on this subject along with the Éiriú Eolas web site, I believe I have the tools to have them at least think about it.

Thanks for such a great link to the lecture.

This was a very interesting watch. It would be nice to read his book as well.

One of the things that caught my ear was the amygdala's role on emotions as was described in the lawyer's case, whose connection between the amygdala and the PFC had been damaged. My thinking was something along the lines of what RyanX has mentioned about a link between the emotionless state of this man and psychopathy.
There is a documentary mentioned somewhere on the forum, I think it is "I Psychopath", where scientists point out to having found an under active amygdala, if not completely inactive, in the brains of psychopaths.

It was also interesting to learn how the brain hemispheres keep balancing themselves, by alternating which side has dominance.

slowone said:
So much of interest but what was gripping for me was the link between meditation and the strengthening of the calming influence of the left pre frontal cortex to calm down the fear response. Not only that but it is transferrable to someone else!!

I also found it fascinating. We know that meditation works because we experience it, but it is enriching to gain more understanding of some of the whys.

maryjk_99 said:
More from Dr. Daniel Goleman here:

Thank you for the link maryjk_99!

Thanks for the video, it was enlightening. The thing that stuck out for me was how the brain remembers at an emotional level everything we've done and then gives us that gut feeling as to whether something should be done or not.

Back
Top Bottom