The Amygdala Hijack and more

Just come across this thread and thanks for this really amazing Video!

I thought there were a couple of useful points that EE trainers/presenters could use:

1. Goleman's articulation of the HPA axis and the Amygdala.
2. The very neat explanation of the classic fight or flight response vs the Complex threats experienced in modern society.
3. The benfits of meditation and his statement that he'd rather teach ADD kids how to meditate rather than fix them with ritalin.

All this is really what we have learnt from EE but put forward by an authority on neuroscience. It will be especially appealing to logical/IT/Engineer types and I'd recommend this video to prospective EE'ers.

Kinyash

Another interesting thing, though it is not discussed there, is the relationship between the HPA axis and adrenal fatigue.

Ana said:
What I have understood is that He call "flowing" to a state of active consciousness, becoming aware. In this state we become active part of the internal processes deciding what to do with our emotions.

So you are flowing when you are here and now, aware of the inner and outer world and it is the first step to become emotionally inteligent, osit.

Thanks for the info!

I have noticed recently when communicating with people I am aware of how they make me feel I.e nervous or at ease , and how this can alter my social brain so that I find it more difficult to find the right words to say or how some people you just connect with and conversation just flows.

I pay special attention to the people that make me feel uneasy and I observe why that is. For example It could be that person may have an intimidating presence and tone to their voice which for me Is a problem that relates back to childhood and the fear of expressing myself. This usually has an significant impact on my confidence when talking to someone else afterwards, even when i normally have positive rapport with a familiar individual.

I sometimes try to then accept the way I feel and tell my inner predator to 'shut it' and laugh at how much it can take over you which can help to regain focus :)

I viewed it & thank you!
Very Informative!

I find interesting the reference to meditation.

I picked up Daniel Golemans book after viewing his lecture. Below are a few excerpts from his book that I hope you find interesting. When Laura noted the relationship between the HPA axis and adrenal fatigue, I was curious and looked up what he had to say. I also pulled a few quotes from Adrenal Fatigue by James Wilson

Social Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
Page 225
Under stress, the adrenal glands release cortisol, one of the hormones the body mobilizes in an emergency. These hormones have widespread effects in the body, including many that are adaptive in the short term for healing bodily injuries.
Ordinarily we need a moderate level of cortisol, which acts as a biological “fuel” for our metabolism and helps regulate the immune system. But if our cortisol levels remain to high for prolonged periods, the body pays a price in ill health. The chronic secretion of cortisol (and related hormones) are at play in cardiovascular disease and impaired immune function, exacerbating diabetes and hypertension and even destroying neurons in the hippocampus, harming memory.
Even as cortisol shuts down the hippocampus, it also strokes the amygdala, stimulating the growth of dendrites in that site foe fear. In addition, heightened cortisol blunts the ability of the key areas in the prefrontal cortex to regulate the signals of fear coming from the amygdala.
The combined neural impact of too much cortisol is threefold. The impaired hippocampus learns rather sloppily, over generalizing fearfulness to details of the moment that are irrelevant (such as a distinctive tone of voice). The amygdala circuitry goes on a rampage, and the prefrontal area fails to modulate signals from the overreacting amygdala. The result: the amygdala runs rampant, driving fear, while the hippocampus mistakenly perceives too many triggers for that fear.
The condition of vigilance and overreactivity has been called post-traumatic stress disorder.
In linking stress to health, the key biological systems are the sympathetic nervous system (SNS) and he hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. When we are distressed, both eh SNS and the HPA axis take up the challenge , secreting hormones that prepare us to handle an emergency or threat. But they do so by borrowing resources from the immune and endocrine system, among others. That weakens these key systems for health, just for a moment or for years at a time.
The SNS and HPA circuits are turned on or off by our emotional states- distress for the worse, happiness for the better. Since other people affect our emotions with such power (through emotional contagion, for example)the casual linkage extends outside our body to our relationships.

Page 230
An interviewer's unnerving ,hostile reaction reliability trigger the HPA axis to produce some of the highest levels of cortisol of any laboratory stress simulation ever tested. The social stress test hikes cortisol much more than does that classic lab ordeal in which volunteers do increasingly difficult math problems under intense time pressure against annoying background noise, with a noxious buzzer signaling wrong answers- but without the presence of someone making nasty judgments. Impersonal ordeals are soon forgotten but judgmental scrutiny delivers a particularity strong and lingering dose of shame.

Page 232
Relationships that are constantly critical, rejecting or harassing keep the HPA axis in constant overdrive.
When the source of stress seems impersonal, like an obnoxious auto alarm we are helpless to stop, our most basic need for acceptance and belonging goes unthreatened. Kemeny found that for such impersonal stress, the body got over its inevitable jump in cortisol within 40 minutes or so. But if the cause was a negative social judgment, cortisol stayed high 50 percent longer, taking an hour or more to return to normal.

Adrenal Fatigue: the 21st Century Stress Syndrome by James L. Wilson
Page 273
Too much physical, emotional, environmental and or psychological stress can deplete your adrenal, causing a decrease in the output of adrenal hormones, particularly cortisol.
During stress cortisol must simultaneously provide more blood glucose, mobilize fats and proteins for a back up supply of glucose and modify immune reactions, heartbeat, blood pressure, brain alertness and nervous system responsiveness. Without cortisol, these mechanisms cannot react adequately to a significant stress challenge. When cortisol levels cannot rise in response to these needs, maintaining your body under stress is nearly impossible, The more extreme the differences between the level of stress and the lack of cortisol the more significant the consequences.

i feel a bit daft atm as i have had the book social intelligence for quite a while now but never got around to reading it. i can safely say that after watching the video i will be giving it a thorough read. good call!

Gimpy said:
Interesting. Listening to the explanation, what I heard was the lawyer was just as smart as he was prior to surgery, but he could no longer tell the difference between what was important and what wasn't. He had no sense of urgency or time passing....without the finer emotions. In trying to figure that out, he would become confused/disoriented.

This is possibly projection on my part....according to MRI scans, I've got scarring deep in the mid brain, and spread throughout the upper lobes. While it can be statistical...meaning the scarring doesn't affect function much....I do notice a problem with urgency and what is important, and don't always have a sense of time passing, or 'deadlines'. Its a subtle thing, but all my life, I've been punctual. When I say I'm going to do something, I do it. Over the course of this disease, that's slid away a bit at a time, and when I have moments of clarity I try to do as much as I can against the moment its gone again.

For example: I've had a note on my computer to sign up for the EE forum for a very long time. But it was only yesterday that I did so. In my mind, there is a sense that the forum has been around a while, but nothing but a vague unease telling me that its important to remember it and sign up...and this is after being asked to post there by different people.

It scares me....and I wonder if I can make any difference at all for the Fellowship....but I won't stop Working or doing EE....it may be all I CAN do...this talk gave me a ray of hope that meditating will help 'work around' some of this damage.

Its tough to discuss this, but its better to be open about it than not. :)
The brain always forges another path, no? :/

great video, looks like one more book in the wish-list :)

the critical role of emotions in normal human functioning is perhaps the most important message. with this in mind i find it quite interesting that psychopaths are able to function near-normally in society like humans with normal emotions.

I find the part about right and left brained people to be amazing.

Being right brained he says would be more like depressed, and left brained things roll off easily. I feel that it is relative to this link below. They mention right brained as "big picture" oriented. Seeing this society without the big picture, one can easily skip the problems, because there may be some details that seem to make things look good. For example, this past economic boom, people saw their investments go up, they saw house prices rise, more people employed, but failed to think that overall nothing changed to deserve this boost. Those that predicted failure were categorized as pushing doom and gloom, another listed feature of the right brain: present and FUTURE.

I don't really get how they put reality based for the left brain, perhaps on a micro scale of "ones own reality". Perhaps this is relative to what psychopaths do, focus on their immediate reality?

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right-brain-v-left-brain/story-e6frf7jo-1111114603615
I see her spinning clockwise relative to "top"; right brained.
LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

The lawyer description sounded like an autistic person, the high IQ, emotional disconnect. It is the amygdala that is different in autistic brains.
adrenal fatigue and the whole HPA amygdala connections is interesting

Finally found time to watch it and agree that it's very good way to approach the topics covered. I even sent the link to a couple of engineers I know (good idea Kinyash).

Should this be added to the Recommended Books, or maybe create a Recommended Videos ?

l_autre_d said:
Finally found time to watch it and agree that it's very good way to approach the topics covered. I even sent the link to a couple of engineers I know (good idea Kinyash).

Should this be added to the Recommended Books, or maybe create a Recommended Videos ?

Excellent idea! Book and video, I think.

Gimpy said:
It scares me....and I wonder if I can make any difference at all for the Fellowship....but I won't stop Working or doing EE....it may be all I CAN do...this talk gave me a ray of hope that meditating will help 'work around' some of this damage.

Gimpy, I am reading The Mind & The Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force by Jeffrey M. Schwartz and Sharon Begley and I am amazed at the possibilities of rewiring our brain to correct for genetic, accidental, or learned brain malfunction. I wrote a short review of this material here on the OCD thread, which may be relevant to your circumstance or relevant to modulating an amygdala hijack survival reaction in general.

One other cool pont in Dr. Goleman's lecture was how he postulated that Google ( and other high -tech corporates) probably hires based on IQ, and they could be missing out big time as an organization because there is a high possibility their new hire will be low on EQ. To illustrate the point, he showe a statistical graph of IQ vs EQ. I'd really like to see a similar graph for IQ vs psychopathic tendancies. I bet you'd find that a lot of the recruitment methods used nowadays tend to favour psychopaths with high IQ's! Just a gut feeling.

By the way, did y'all notice how good a presenter Dr.Goleman is? he captivates the audience right from the start and presents the material in a compelling fashion using lots of EQ.. - humour and stories. That's a whole lesson in itself!

Kinyash

Kinyash said:
One other cool pont in Dr. Goleman's lecture was how he postulated that Google ( and other high -tech corporates) probably hires based on IQ, and they could be missing out big time as an organization because there is a high possibility their new hire will be low on EQ. To illustrate the point, he showe a statistical graph of IQ vs EQ. I'd really like to see a similar graph for IQ vs psychopathic tendancies. I bet you'd find that a lot of the recruitment methods used nowadays tend to favour psychopaths with high IQ's! Just a gut feeling.

By the way, did y'all notice how good a presenter Dr.Goleman is? he captivates the audience right from the start and presents the material in a compelling fashion using lots of EQ.. - humour and stories. That's a whole lesson in itself!

Kinyash

Trully an amazing speaker. He has that "old wise teacher" thing going on!
Indeed statistics of EQ vs psychopathic tendencies would be nice... but I bet that the answer would be rise on psychopathic traits would be correlated with descending levels of EQ.

Back
Top Bottom