"Life Without Bread"

dugdeep said:
I don't get it :huh: I'm taking lots of magnesium and potassium, have recently increased the amount of salt I'm eating, including it in my water. I also rubbed magnesium oil on both calves yesterday morning and this morning. I can't figure out why this happened to me. Anyone have any ideas? Can leg cramps happen from low calcium? I haven't been taking any calcium, although I did powder some egg shells recently and started putting a pinch in my water. Maybe it's time to start supplementing it more earnestly?

I have the same issue IF I don't eat a few slices of AGED cheese on a regular basis (in the evening) I've read all the ills associated with cheese, but if I don't eat it, I get horrible leg cramps that will wake me up and prevent me from sleeping. This has been going on for many years.

A Chinese doctor told me the cramps were because I eat meat all day long, then stop when I go to bed, and "canabolism" causes the cramps. The cheese protein digests VERY slowly, so it prevents the cramps. I've been looking for some type of replacement for the cheese, but everything I try in pill form goes through my system too fast to do any real good.

Laura said:
So, it looks more like it is an issue of transitioning to fat burning (which can get glitches if a person goes in and out of ketosis) AND dehydration. In the first case, it is just a matter of getting things going and keeping them ontrack, and the second - which should be considered automatically as a possible - which means drinking more water and getting more salt.

Muscles reorienting to fat burning makes sense, from what I'm experiencing - weak legs, tensed - a two hour walk Monday morning left me depleted of energy (normally fine for much longer periods) by mid afternoon. Regarding dehydration, the last few days it's felt as if I need to be drinking all the time (and that's with water well salted and potassium'd), also I've cut down on herbal teas (especially green), as PBPM recommends an extra glass of water for such refreshment.

Megan said:
[..]It would be interesting to know what kinds of cramps other people are having. I have two different kinds, sometimes at the same time but usually not. The "traditional" kind that I have had for decades, and that could well be related to thyroid, is deep and very painful, but easily stopped (if it occurs in a leg) by simply standing up and putting weight on it. I don't tuck in the bed covers, so that I can quickly stand up if one starts while I am in bed, which is usually where it happens. Over the years I have developed bumps on the backs of my lower legs over the points where the cramps normally occur.

Tripotassium citrate in amount that fits on half your little-finger nail, dissolved in a small cup of water, usually before sleep. Cramps are gone! Before i always battled leg cramps after going keto, why lying on bed. Cramps came, tried to turn my foot up, but the front-muscles got painfully cramped. When i tried to turn my leg down the hind-leg muscles got cramped.. :)

forge said:
Megan said:
[..]It would be interesting to know what kinds of cramps other people are having. I have two different kinds, sometimes at the same time but usually not. The "traditional" kind that I have had for decades, and that could well be related to thyroid, is deep and very painful, but easily stopped (if it occurs in a leg) by simply standing up and putting weight on it. I don't tuck in the bed covers, so that I can quickly stand up if one starts while I am in bed, which is usually where it happens. Over the years I have developed bumps on the backs of my lower legs over the points where the cramps normally occur.

Tripotassium citrate in amount that fits on half your little-finger nail, dissolved in a small cup of water, usually before sleep. Cramps are gone! Before i always battled leg cramps after going keto, why lying on bed. Cramps came, tried to turn my foot up, but the front-muscles got painfully cramped. When i tried to turn my leg down the hind-leg muscles got cramped.. :)

In the times that i have experienced this condition it was due over exhaustion and over exertion from a 4 hour bike ride. Though i brought plenty of water that just added to the problem of pushing what minerial's i had out of my body faster on hot summer day. So intense was the cramping that i lost use of the ability to walk and had to sit down and massage them to get the blood to circulate again.

Then at night, there was the most intense cramping, like the legs had been put in a vice and were being squeezed.

It was only when i prehydrate ( before the ride ) with an electrolyte, and brought a canteen with an electrolight (and water) with me on the rides and slowly sipped them both through the ride, that problem was eliminated.

Also i found that eatting some protein ( include the fat ) a half hour before a workout seemed to keep me fueled up so i did not fatigue during the duration of an intense ride.

Home Remedies For leg Cramps
http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Leg-Cramps.html

Other possible factors that could possibly aggravate or contribute to the occurrence include the excessive consumption of alcohol. In some cases it is possible that a lack of physical activity and a sedentary lifestyle contribute to the problem either directly or indirectly. When there is inadequate physical activity and one spends most of the day seated then the leg muscles and those in the calves and feet do not function as they should. This causes a stiffening of the muscles, which during relaxation in sleep may lead to twitching and consequent night leg cramps. At times the presence of night leg cramps or nocturnal leg cramps may be attributed to the presence of some other condition, where the leg cramps are actually a symptom and not the primary condition itself. Addison’s disease and Parkinsons’s disease are two such possible culprits.

Stay Hydrated During Work

Some preventive measures -

Dehydration causes leg cramps. It is especially important to stay well hydrated during workouts.
Drink plenty of fluids before, during and after exercising.
Stretching prior to starting your exercise routine is extremely important.
Stretches help relax muscles and thus prevent leg cramps.
When beginning a workout regime, it is imperative that you do so gradually. A sudden increase or changes in physical activity levels can cause leg cramps. Keep rolled up bed sheets or blankets at your feet to prevent your toes and feet from pointing downward while you are asleep. Riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes before bedtime could prevent cramps from developing during the night.

Additional Tips to Cope with Night Leg Cramps

• Avoid using tight bed covers or restrictive sheets as this could cause an awkward pointing of the toes, which may lead to nocturnal leg cramps.

• Make it a point to stretch the calf muscles with some light exercise for at least five minutes before going to bed each night.

• Take up a non intensive fitness regime like yoga or pilates to strengthen the muscles and also to loosen them up. Yoga is particularly useful as the breathing exercises and meditative practices also help you to consciously relax your mind, as well as the muscles. Yoga also helps improve circulation, which could help minimize the occurrence of night leg cramps, if poor circulation is a cause.

Most people who experience night leg cramps are simply bothered by the problem infrequently. Regular or frequent occurrences of night leg cramps can however be extremely troublesome as they also result in disrupted sleep. This could then cause problems of fatigue and exhaustion. In such a scenario it would be advisable to seek medical treatment.

Attachments

• leg-cramps-picture.jpg
    leg-cramps-picture.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 31
Wants to give update on my ketosis. I was also taking lot more protein than recommended based on my weight with no carbs before a week back. I tried to introduce carbs but it didn't go well and upset the stomach and kicked me out of ketosis. so stopped eating veggies and back on ketosis. Still Decreased my protein intake with more duck fat to little more than my weight ( 55 to 60 grams). Though I am out of anti nutrients like gluten for more than 2 yrs, still not sure whether I have any gut healing issues or not. Other noticeable part is leg cramps after I started reducing the protein. Taking L carnitine, Vitamin C helped. Yesterday I didn't feel hungrness with 60 grams of protein with no carbs. I need to introduce the carbs again and I will try tomorrow and see how it goes. Still needs to finish the reading the books that arrived.

seek10 said:
Wants to give update on my ketosis. I was also taking lot more protein than recommended based on my weight with no carbs before a week back. I tried to introduce carbs but it didn't go well and upset the stomach and kicked me out of ketosis. so stopped eating veggies and back on ketosis. Still Decreased my protein intake with more duck fat to little more than my weight ( 55 to 60 grams). Though I am out of anti nutrients like gluten for more than 2 yrs, still not sure whether I have any gut healing issues or not. Other noticeable part is leg cramps after I started reducing the protein. Taking L carnitine, Vitamin C helped. Yesterday I didn't feel hungrness with 60 grams of protein with no carbs. I need to introduce the carbs again and I will try tomorrow and see how it goes. Still needs to finish the reading the books that arrived.

Thanks for the update, seek10. How is your sleep?

Trevrizent said:
Laura said:
So, it looks more like it is an issue of transitioning to fat burning (which can get glitches if a person goes in and out of ketosis) AND dehydration. In the first case, it is just a matter of getting things going and keeping them ontrack, and the second - which should be considered automatically as a possible - which means drinking more water and getting more salt.

Muscles reorienting to fat burning makes sense, from what I'm experiencing - weak legs, tensed - a two hour walk Monday morning left me depleted of energy (normally fine for much longer periods) by mid afternoon. Regarding dehydration, the last few days it's felt as if I need to be drinking all the time (and that's with water well salted and potassium'd), also I've cut down on herbal teas (especially green), as PBPM recommends an extra glass of water for such refreshment.

I too are having problems getting back to the muscle strength I had prior to going on a ketogenic diet(I'm on my 4th week now). Last week I went to the gym and started my usual routine with the rowing machine. I could only manage to row 3000m, when as prior to the diet I normally did 6000m. However, the last couple of days I have taken digestive enzymes with every meal and this has seemed to help: I just came from the gym and I easily managed to do 5000m. Don't know if this improvement is because of the enzymes or just the body having adjusted. Also the shortage of breath when climbing up stairs that I've had ever since starting the diet is almost gone.

forge said:

This is interesting. I looked it up and couldn't find TRIpotassium citrate, but did find potassium citrate which has interesting properties and uses.

As a food additive, potassium citrate is used to regulate acidity. Medicinally, it may be used to control kidney stones derived from either uric acid or cystine.

Potassium citrate is rapidly absorbed when given by mouth and is excreted in the urine as the carbonate. It is, therefore, effective in reducing the pain and frequency of urination when these are caused by highly acidic urine. It is used for this purpose in dogs and cats, but is chiefly employed as a non-irritating diuretic.

Potassium citrate is an effective way to treat/manage gout and arrhythmia, if the patient is hypokalemic. In common with other substances that render the urine alkaline, it may be used to reduce the danger of crystalluria during sulfonamide therapy.

It is widely used to treat urinary calculi (kidney stones), and is often used by patients with cystinuria. A study of 500 patients with recurrent stones found that it reduced the frequency of stones from 2 per year to a half per year. It is also used in many soft drinks as a buffering agent.

It is also used as an alkanising agent in the treatment of mild urinary tract infections such as cystitis.

Potassium citrate is usually administered by mouth in dilute aqueous solution. This is because of its somewhat caustic effect on the stomach lining, and the potential for other mild health hazards.

The maximum allowable over-the-counter (OTC) dose for elemental potassium is regulated by the FDA to be no more than 100 mg (approximately 3% of the daily allowance).[citation needed] Pure potassium citrate contains 38.28% potassium.

Daily Potassium Citrate Wards Off Kidney Stones In Seizure Patients On High-Fat Diet

ScienceDaily (July 27, 2009) — Children on the high-fat ketogenic diet to control epileptic seizures can prevent the excruciatingly painful kidney stones that the diet can sometimes cause if they take a daily supplement of potassium citrate the day they start the diet, according to research from Johns Hopkins Children's Center.

"We can confidently say this is a safe and powerful way to prevent kidney stones, and it should become part of standard therapy in all ketogenic dieters, not just those who already show elevated urine calcium levels," says senior investigator Eric Kossoff, M.D., a pediatric neurologist at Hopkins Children's. "If you wait, it might be too late."

The ketogenic diet, believed to work by initiating biochemical changes that eliminate seizure-triggering short circuits in the brain's signaling system, is given to many children whose seizures do not respond to medications. But the diet, which consists of high-fat foods with very few carbohydrates, causes a buildup of calcium in the urine and the formation of kidney stones in about 6 percent of those on it.

Hopkins Children's adopted the preventive treatment with potassium citrate two years ago, and doctors now believe this one major side effect of the diet is a thing of the past, allowing more children to remain on the diet for longer.

Potassium citrate taken twice daily, either as powder sprinkled on food or dissolved in water, is believed to inhibit stone formation.

In their study of 301 children treated for epilepsy with the ketogenic diet at Hopkins Children's the researchers found that those who got potassium citrate twice daily were seven times less likely to develop kidney stones — one of 106 (0.9 percent) developed a kidney stone compared to 13 out of 195 (6.7 percent) who were given potassium citrate only after testing positive for elevated levels of blood calcium. Most children received one 30-milliequivalent packet (about 1, 170 milligrams or 0.04 ounces) of potassium citrate twice daily.

Although rarely serious, kidney stones can cause significant pain, along with kidney and urinary tract infections, and may require surgery.

The research was funded in part by the NIH and the Carson Harris Foundation.

A report on the work is published in the August issue of Pediatrics. Co-investigators include: Melanie McNally, B.S.; Paula Pyzik, B.S.; James Rubenstein, M.D.; Rana Hamdy, M.D. M.P.H.

Laura said:
forge said:
Tripotassium citrate [..]

This is interesting. I looked it up and couldn't find TRIpotassium citrate, but did find potassium citrate which has interesting properties and uses.
Tripotassium citrate is the IUPAC name (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry)
Curious that they didn't bother and put all tree forms of potassium under E332.

"Potassium citrate is an effective way to treat/manage gout and arrhythmia, if the patient is hypokalemic. "
_http://healthdiscussions.org/hd/index.php?t=tripotassium+citrate+wikipedia

"Tripostassium citrate can also be used as an antacid for the stomach."
_http://www.foodditive.com/additive/potassium-citrates-i-monopotassium-citrate-ii-tripotassium-citrate

My arrhythmia significantly lessened, but it must be because of a month's rest and no workplace stress + 8-9hrs sleep compared to 5-7 hrs/days previously.

Mod's note: Edited to fix the quotation boxes

dugdeep said:
This morning I had a leg cramp in both legs when I woke up. They were just starting and I managed to stretch them out before they got bad. I'm clueless as to what's going on here. I'm making all the right moves, AFAIK - taking Ca, Mg, K lots of salt and water. The only thing I'm not taking is L-carnitine because it's not available in Canada.

I'm actually considering taking the L-carnitine with rice powder in them I mentioned a few posts back if it means stopping the leg cramps and better making the transition. It might do more harm than good, however, even though rice isn't the most evil of the evil. Any opinions on that?

Jonny Bowden, author of "Living Low Carb" recommends a slightly higher potassium dose when starting this diet. I thought it was a bit too high, but thinking about it, perhaps it is not. It is the same dose we used after heart surgery in patients with low potassium levels. It really doesn't increase your potassium levels to dangerous levels, it is just enough to increase 1 or 2 mEq. He says:

I'm Getting Leg Cramps, Especially at Night. Why?

This is almost always due to a mineral deficiency, particularly potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Remember that insulin tells the body to hold on to salt and water. When your insulin levels fall, especially during the first week on your low-carb diet, the kidneys will release that excess sodium-and you begin to lose a lot of water.This will usually result in a loss of potassium as well, and one of the symptoms of potassium loss is muscle cramping (as well as fatigue). Dr. Alan Schwartz, medical director of the Holistic Resource Center in Agoura Hills, California, recommends taking one or two potassium supplements (99mg) with each meal, especially in the first week of your low-carb diet. Magnesium supplementation is also a good idea. Note: nuts help prevent potassium and magnesium imbalances. While you have to watch your intake of nuts during the weight-loss phase of your program, they nonetheless are chock-full of these valuable minerals.

anart said:
seek10 said:

Thanks for the update, seek10. How is your sleep?

Well, with 9 mg Melatonin, 5-HTP etc. I am pushing my self to sleep 8 hrs or little more,if time permits. What I observed is I wake up after around 5 hrs with a fear of failure . After that it is a sleep with 2 or 3 of breaks and lot of dreams of mechanical nature that is the reflection of my time at work " mentally carried away by the overwhelming amount of 'to do', expectations, over arousal from defense mechanisms etc." I am making it a point to stay in dark for at least 8 hrs. It feels good to be in dark for that time.

I just finished reading "Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food" by Catherine Shanahan MD and Luke Shanahan. Even though it doesn't talk about gluten nor casein and promotes veggies, it was still very interesting. In fact, the "Vegetarian Myth" and the "Primal Body, Primal Mind" books share some of the information and references of this book but in a more synthesized way. This book provides deeper context and interesting clinical science and experiences since the authors have backgrounds in biology, alternative medicine, culinary arts, etc.

I'll share here some quotes that reinforces the importance of what we have been discussing so far and other clues which might provide new information for those of us having rashes and allergies among other things.

I think that what makes this forum unique is that we all make our research and experiences public for everyone to read and that allow us to improve our health path as we discover more things, keeping an open mind and making efforts to gain knowledge . Networking works!

First, some cooking tips to get the most of our foods:

Cooking Meat, Rule Number One: Don't Overcook It

When I started eating meat again after experimenting with vegetarian¬ism in graduate school, Luke's opinion that well-done meat is wasted meat was unconvincing. But after studying the chemistry of well-done versus rare, I recognized that, once again, Luke's primal instinct was spot on. I can still recall the effort required to swallow my first bloody, glumpy, chewy bite when I crossed over to the other side of the culinary divide. Luke's delicious brown stock gravy helped my first time go much easier. Now, five years later and much the wiser, I find meat cooked as much as medium to be stringy, chewy, coarse and devoid of the savory flavor of juicy red blood. I'll never go back.

When it comes to steak, it's not the size that matters; it's the consistency and texture. Overcooked meat is tough because its fat, protein, and sugar molecules have gotten tangled and fused together during a wild, heat-crazed chemical orgy. The result is a kind of tissue polymer that requires more work to cut with a knife and more chewing, as well as more time to digest. The worst part is that so many of the nutrients we need are ruined.

Ruined nutrients don't just politely disappear. Once ingested, your body won't be able to simply flush them down some metabolic drainpipe. When heat kills nutrients, it does so by causing reactions between nutrients, forming new chemical compounds including known carcinogens (such as aromatic hydrocarbons and cyclic amines), as well as other molecular fusions that damage your kidneys and blood vessels.140 When meat is cooked properly, fewer harmful reactions occur.141 The nutrients and flavor compounds survive, and can now be gently released into the meat's juices where they are more bioavailable, and more readily tasted and absorbed So how much heat is too much heat? If, when you slice it, there's not even a trickle of juice, it's way overdone. Steak should be juicy and red. I recommend you work your way down to medium rare, and once you get used to that, go for rare. One last thought: If you're an Anthony Bourdain fan, you already know that restaurant patrons who order their steak well done get the oldest, least choice cuts. It's not that the chefs have it in for peo¬ple who order their steaks brown. They have to save the freshest product for those palates that can taste the difference.

Cooking Meat, Rule Number Two: Use Moisture, Time, and Parts

[...] It is a little-known fact that when a chef talks about flavor, he's also talk¬ing about nutrients. When he says some flavors take time to develop, he's saying sometimes you have to wait for certain nutrients to be released. Cooking meat slow is the best way to turn an ordinary meal into something extraordinary—in terms of taste and nutrition. The potential flavor of meat, or any food, derives from its complexity. Depending on the cut, "meat" may include muscle, tendon, bone, fat, skin, blood, and glands—each a world of chemical diversity. When that diversity is released on your tongue you can taste it, and the rich, savory flavor means a world of nutrients are on their way.

You don't actually need a slow cooker to cook meat slowly and enjoy all the same benefits. All you need is moisture, time, and parts (as many different tissue types as possible: ligament, bone, fat, skin, etc.). Making soup, stewing, keeping a top on to trap the steam, basting often when cooking in the oven—all these techniques keep the moisture inside the meat, enabling water molecules to make magic happen. Here's how.

The transformation of, say, a cold and flavorless chicken leg into some-thing delicious begins when heated moisture trapped in the meat creates the perfect conditions for hydrolytic cleavage (see figure 1). At gentle heating tem-peratures, water molecules act like miniature hacksaws, neatly chopping the long, tough strands of protein apart, gently tenderizing even the toughest tissue. And because water also prevents nearby strands from fusing together, keeping meat moist prevents the formation of the protein tangles that make overcooked meat so tough.

How does hydrolytic cleavage translate into taste? It's simple. Taste buds are small. The receptor site where chemicals bind to them is tiny. So things that impart taste (called flavor ligands) must be tiny, too. If you were to take a bite of a cold, raw leg of chicken, you wouldn't get much flavor from it. Cooking releases trapped flavor because, during the process of hy¬drolytic cleavage, some proteins are chopped into very small segments, cre¬ating short strings of amino acids called peptides. Peptides are tiny enough to fit into receptors in our taste buds. When they do, we get the sensation of savoryness food manufacturers call the "fifth flavor," or umami. (Sour, bitter, salt, and sweet are the other four major flavors.) [...]

Cooking Meat, Rule Number Three: Use the Fat

{Some basic information that we already discussed repeatedly skipped}

Since, to keep meat moist, fat must be located on the outside of a cut of meat, good butchers strive to produce cuts encased inside a neat layer of rich, tasty fat. In smaller, leaner animals like birds, most of the fat sits right under the skin, naturally in the perfect location to keep meat moist during cooking. If you want a flavorful, juicy bird, for goodness' sake don't peel off the skin!

One of the latest new trends in the food world falls squarely in the category of everything-old-is-new-again: grass-fed beef. Pasture-raised beef has all kinds of advantages, both for you and for the animals. You may have heard that grass-fed is good for you because of its higher omega-3 content. That's true. But to get that omega-3, you have to get large cuts of meat with an exterior layer of fat (or the liver, or the bone marrow, or other "nasty bits"—see below). Compared to most grocery store beef, which comes from grain fed cows and is heavily marbled with heat-resistant saturated fat, the muscle in pastured cows is relatively lean. So when you buy a grass-fed steak, it's practically fat free and will dry out quicker during cooking than the typical grocery store steaks that you might be used to. [...]

Cooking Meat, Rule Number Four: Make Bone Stock

More than anything else, the health of your joints depends upon the health of the collagen in your ligaments, tendons, and on the ends of your bones. Collagens are a large family of biomolecules, which include the glyco¬saminoglycans, very special molecules that help keep our joints healthy. People used to eat soup and stock made from bones all the time, and doing so supplied their bodies with the whole family of glycosaminoglycans, which used to protect people's joints. [...]

{The following reminded me an Indiana Jones movie :P}

Pillar Number 2: Or, an Meat Offal- Good For You

Long ago, when a deer was killed then lifted on a hook to be dismembered, the hunter began by inserting a knife just below the xiphoid process at the lower end of the sternum and briskly drawing it down to the pubic bone. When properly done, the guts spilled out of the belly and naturally fell to the ground—off fall. In modern usage, the term offal encompasses every part of an animal except ordinary muscle meat.

If you've ever seen one of those travel shows hosted by a snarky gour¬Aland eating strange foods in exotic locales, you might recall watching scenes of street venders in Calcutta frying brains on a skillet, or sweetmeats served in a dusty open-air eatery in Uzbekistan, and thinking, How can they eat that? It's all a matter of what you've grown up with. Had you been born elsewhere, you might drool at the sight of lungs on a stick just as you might now go ga-ga over a greasy corn dog. In fact, until recently, those offal meats were a big part of American dining, integrated into our diets through a wide range of dishes. Turn the cookbook pages back just a few generations and you'll find Halloweenish recipes calling for organ meats and other variety cuts alongside familiar casseroles and crumb cakes. My 1953 version of Joy of Cooking lists Calf Brain Fritters and ten other brainy recipes, as well as in¬structions for making meals from liver, kidney, tongue, heart, head, and thymus.

If you dig further back to cookbooks printed before the Industrial Revolution, you'll find ghastly instructions requiring a witch's arsenal of implements, large cauldrons and bone-splicing hatchets. From The Ladies New Book of Cookery, published in 1852, listed under preparation of beef, we learn the private housewife was to "take a green tongue, stick it with cloves and boil it gently for three hours." Also included are practical tips on how to estimate internal temperature without a meat thermometer: "When the eyes drop out, the pig is half done." Plus pointers on mannerly kitchen protocols: "It is better to leave the wind-pipe on, for if it hangs out of the pot while the head is cooking, all the froth will escape through it."

Our founding fathers' wives followed recipes that made extensive use of offal meats, especially in the fall when many animals would be killed to con-serve precious grass and hay for the best breeders that could repopulate the pastures again in spring. Since offal goes bad quickly, they needed to be consumed or preserved as soon as possible. The prudent housewife of the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries would want to make use of every last scrap and, nutritionally speaking, nothing would better prepare her family for the long winter ahead. Offal meats are rich in vitamins, especially fat-soluble vitamins, which can be stored in our own fat reserves for months. As winter wore on, and root cellars emptied, those larders of nutrients built up inter¬nally by feasting in the fall sometimes made the difference between life and death, or a successful pregnancy and one fraught with complications.

Why You Should Eat That Liver Pate

One of offal meat's most famous proponents was Adelle Davis, a bio¬chemist who pioneered the fledgling field of nutrition in the mid 20th cen¬tury. A patient of mine, who was taken to her in the 1940s on the advice of his pediatrician for help with his disabling asthma, was not simply treated. He was cured. Back then, there were no handheld inhalers. Every time he developed a cold or the weather changed, his mother would have to rush him to the hospital for shots of adrenaline. Davis advised his mother to send him off to school with a thermos of pureed raw cow's liver every day, which he managed to drink primarily because he wanted to avoid the emergency room. The raw cow's liver provided a spectrum of missing nutrients to calm the inflammation that triggered his asthma attacks. But it may also have done much more, ensuring his entire nervous system was wired correctly. Today, in his seventies, his reflexes are still so fast that he can trounce Luke on the tennis court.

I don't recommend you eat raw liver unless you are familiar with the source and have taken proper measures to prevent parasites.159 But a quick glance at the nutrition tables for liver and other variety cuts reveals why nutrition-oriented physicians might use these parts as cure-alls like Davis did; they're the real vitamin supplements. As she explains in her book Let's Cook It Right, "The liver is the storage place or the 'savings bank' of the body. If there is an excess of protein, sugar, vitamins, and any mineral except cal¬cium and phosphorus, part of the excess is stored in the liver until it is needed.... Liver is, therefore, nutritionally the most outstanding meat which can be purchased."16° Of course, if the cow is sickly, or raised on depleted soil, the savings bank of the liver is likely depleted as well.

The following are just a few examples of the benefits of eating different variety meats. The Latin name for the retina of the eye is macula lutea. (Lutea is Latin for yellow.) This thick, membranous yellow layer of the eyeball is a rich source of the nutrient lutein, a member of the retinoid family of vitamin A precursors. Lutein supplements are now promoted as being good for prostate health and for preventing macular degeneration. The fat behind the eye¬ball is a rich source of vitamin A and lutein. (If you think you'd rather swallow a supplement than pop an eyeball after breakfast, remember that vitamins are heat-, light-, and oxygen-sensitive and unlikely to survive process¬ing.) And while you're digesting the idea of eating eyeball fat, consider that the gooey juice in the eye is primarily hyaluronic acid, rich in glycosamino¬glycans. You can get hyaluronic acid injected into your lips (to fill them out), your knee (as a treatment for osteoarthritis), and even your own eye (to treat certain ocular diseases) for $200 a dose (twenty one-thousandths of a gram). It's called Restylane. But you can get this useful nutrient into your body just by eating the eyes you find in your fish head soup, and the glycosaminogly-cans will find their way to the parts of the body that need them most.

Brain and nervous tissues are fantastic sources of omega-3 and other brain-building fatty acids and phospholipids, and with more than 1.2 grams Ter 100 gram portion, they are a richer source of this vital nutrient than almost anything else.161 Even windpipe contains stuff we don't get enough of these days—those glycosaminoglycans again. Many of my patients spend .:.77wards of a hundred dollars a month buying supplemental nutrients that are far less potent than what our ancestors enjoyed daily, simply by including variety meats in their diet. [...]

Eating Eyes is good for your eyes. Eating joints is good for your joints.

Gawan said:
strange dizziness and tiredness. Yesterday I needed to take three naps over the day with a length of 0.5 - 1 hr.

To answer my own question here, I did look up again, if really nothing is written in the books about it. My clue was this time looking for synonyms instead only for dizziness, so I discovered faintness:

THE ART AND SCIENCE OF LOW CARBOHYDRATE LIVING p. 41 said:
6. Feeling Faint

Issue: I'm happy losing weight with a low carbohydrate diet, but I'm al­ ways tired, get light headed when I stand up, and if I exercisefor more than 10 minutes I feel like I'm going to pass out.

Response: Congratulations on your weight loss success, and with just a small adjustment to your diet, you can say goodbye to your weakness and fatigue. The solution is salt. .. a bit more salt to be specific. This may sound like we're crazy when many experts argue that we should all eat less salt, however these are the same experts who tell us that eating lots of carbo­hydrates and sugar is OK. But what they don't tell you is that your body functions very differently when you are keto-adapted. When you restrict carbs for a week or two, your kidneys switch from retaining salt to rapidly excreting it, along with a fair amount of stored water. This salt and water loss explains why many people experience rapid weight loss in the first couple of weeks on a low carbohydrate diet.

Ridding your body of this excess salt and water is a good thing, but only up to a point. After that, if you don't replace some of the ongoing sodium excretion, the associated water loss can compromise your circulation The end result is lightheadedness when you stand up quickly or fatigue if you exercise enough to get 'warmed up: Other common side effects of carbohydrate restriction that go away with a pinch of added salt include headache and constipation; and over the long term it also helps the body maintain its muscles. The best solution is to include 1 or 2 cups of bouillon or broth in your daily sched­ule. This adds only 1-2 grams of sodium to your daily intake, and your keto­ adapted metabolism insures that you pass it right on through within a matter of hours (allaying any fears you might have of salt buildup in your system).

This rapid clearance also means that on days that you exercise, take one dose of broth or bouillon within the hour before you start.

So I'm up to a salty drink, which I really forgot in the last days to add in my drink, cause I mainly drink tea.

Gawan said:
So I'm up to a salty drink, which I really forgot in the last days to add in my drink, cause I mainly drink tea.

Don't forget to up the potassium. See Psyche's post above.

Continuing with Deep Nutrition, here is a little bit more depth into the cholesterol information. For me it is interesting because this subject is most dense in medical books. But the authors approach it in a very "child story" way. I'm only quoting some of the info which includes the problem of sugar and inflammatory fats like hydrogenated oils and vegetable oils that get oxidized and their role in dis-eases:

Deep Nutrition said:
Inflammation and Free Radicals

Maybe five percent trans (and other mutant fats) doesn't sound that scary. The real trouble is not so much that there's bad fat in the bottles (and other products). The real trouble has to do with the fact that after you eat these distorted, mutated fatty acids, they can reproduce inside you.

Imagine a zombie movie, filmed at the molecular level, except the mutant fattys don't stumble through your bloodstream in slow motion. Using radicals (defined in the next section), mutated PUFAs convert normal fatty acids into fellow ghouls at the rate of billions per second. I call this conversion-on-contact the Zombie effect because, as every horror-movie connoisseur knows, when a zombie bites you, you become one of them. When a throng of molecular miscreants starts hacking away at your cells, things can really get scary. Their ability to damage normal PUFAs makes this class of oxidized PUFAs more dangerous than the trans fat we've all heard about on the news. Since they're a lot like trans, only worse, I call them MegaTrans.

There are many technical names for MegaTrans, including peroxidized lipoxygenases, oxidized fat, lipid peroxides, lipid hydroperoxides, and a others. Think of them all as different gangs of bad fats. [...]

The Reason Vegetable Oil Inflames Your Arteries

Free radicals are high-energy electrons that are involved in every known disease. They behave like molecular radiation, burning everything with which they come into contact, inside your body or out.

In the frying pan, MegaTrans reacts with oxygen to generate one free radical after another. Frying in vegetable oils doesn't so much cook you,: foods as blast them with free radicals—fusing molecules together to make the material solid. Chemists call this series of reactions a free radical cascade.

Free radical cascades damage normal PUFAs, turning them into ugly molecular ghouls (the Zombie effect). Just a little MegaTrans in the bottle of canola oil can become a lot of MegaTrans after you—or the cereal/ donut/frozen dinner manufacturers-cook with it. On the plus side, free radical cascades make your food extremely crispy. (Free radical cascades also happen to play a role in the polymerization reactions that make plastic solid. This is probably the origin of the well intentioned, but not strictly scientific, assertion that "margarine is one molecule away from plastic.") On the minus side, free radical cascades make your arteries extremely crispy. They will also damage other bodily tissues, which can generate inflammation, a kind of chaos that interferes with normal metabolic function. [...]

Lipoproteins are designed like M&Ms: just as the candy's coating prevents the chocolate inside it from getting all over your hands, the protein coat en-ables lipoproteins to circulate throughout your body without getting their messy insides smeared on your arterial walls. Of course, lipoproteins don't carry chocolate. If your diet is healthy, your lipoproteins are full of essential fats, vitamins—all kinds of good stuff. If you eat bad fat, your lipoproteins carry bad fat too, and that can make the whole fat circulation system break down. When the fat circulation system breaks down, people's cholesterol numbers get out of whack. HDL may go down, while LDL and triglycerides may go up. Let's take a closer look.

A lipoprotein is a particle made of fat (lipid) that's been wrapped with a protein coat (hence, lipo-protein). Some lipoproteins are big, and some are small. The big ones are generally lower in density than the small ones because they carry so much buoyant fat. Some of the big• ones are called LDL., for low-density lipo¬protein. And some of the smaller ones are called HDL, for high-density lipopro¬tein. Sound bite science has us calling HDL "good" and LDL "bad," but these terms are misleading. Both LDL and HDL help deliver vitamins and essential fatty acids to our tissues. Though it may contain bad fats, no lipoprotein is inherently bad. Furthermore, lipoproteins exist in a wide variety of densities (their particular density depending how much protein they contain), and their densi¬ties vary as they circulate throughout the body during their life cycle. The binary designations of "high" and "low" density are arbitrary and only add to the confusion. Calling LDL and HDL bad and good cholesterol doesn't make sense either, because lipoproteins aren't cholesterol. They are protein-encased parti-cles that contain cholesterol and all sorts of other kinds of fats—many of which are vitamins and other essential materials. Lipoproteins distribute all these ma¬terials to tissues in need. Without enough of these tiny nutrient couriers in circu¬lation, our tissues would starve.

Lipoproteins contain some cholesterol, but mostly they contain triglycerides, other fatty nutrients (like lecithin, choline, essential fatty acids, and phospholipids), varying amounts of fat-soluble vitamins, and retinoids—all wrapped inside a protein coat.

After your food is broken down by enzymes in the intestine, the fat and most other nutrients get absorbed into intestinal cells (called enterocytes). Here, fat and fat-soluble nutrients are prepared for circulation through the bloodstream. Since fat particles won't dissolve in blood, the intestinal cells wrap these tiny balls of fatty nutrients in a protein coat. Lipoproteins made in the intestine are called chylomicrons. Other tissues that participate in the lipid cycle make other types of lipoproteins, all with the same general design: a blob of fat wrapped in protein.

Cells that make lipoproteins don't throw just any old protein coating the fats, kick the little particle out into circulation and say, "Good luck!" The cells of our bodies must be able to recognize lipoproteins as sources of nutrients. So the protein coating (made of apoproteins) also serves as a of barcode describing the particle's origin and contents. When released into circulation, the wonderfully designed apoproteins also function like little handles, enabling hungry cells to grab the lipoprotein particle as it floats by.

As with any package delivery service, the accuracy of this labeling systern is critical to the success of the whole delivery process. If anything were to damage the label (we'll return to this idea soon), the lipoprotein would fail to carry out its function, and the whole system would be thrown out of whack.

{It is here where sugar and inflammatory fats create the most damage}

After the packaged lipoprotein leaves an intestinal cell, it travels through the bloodstream for several hours, completing many circuits. As it floats along, it deposits its fatty nutrients into the tissues that need them most.

Hungry tissues get fed by signaling endothelial cells lining their smallest blood vessels to place special proteins on their surface, which act like tiny fishing rods set to snag lipoproteins as they float by. Once snagged, the parti- cle may unload some of its payload into the endothelial cell or, alternatively, the endothelial cell may open up a tunnel-like structure right through its center to allow the lipoprotein to pass from the bloodstream, through the endothelial cell, and directly into the hungry tissues.

Hours after a meal, the amount of fat in circulation drops as lipoproteins either exit the circulation or give up their fat and shrink (gradually increas¬ing in density as they travel). Eventually, the liver picks up the shrunken, high-density remnants and sorts through the contents to recycle anything discarding any waste. Unwanted or damaged fats exit by way of the bile system back into the intestinal tract for disposal.

The lipid cycle can take any of several different routes. Fats can enter the circulation by way of the intestine (as chylomicrons) or by way of the liver, or even by way of the skin. There are actually multiple points of entry. Even the brain may participate. Fats can exit the cycle by being transported into a hungry cell, or by being exported out of the body through the liver's bile system.

The liver is like a transfer station. It sorts through the incoming lipopro¬teins to separate the good fats from the bad. When it has collected enough good fats, the liver fashions its own lipoproteins (called VLDL, for Very LDL), complete with new identifying labels, and sends them back into the bloodstream again. These particles go through another arm of the cycle, fol-lowing the same series of steps, delivering cargo piecemeal or transporting to a final destination intact. Those particles that deliver cargo piecemeal eventually get small enough to be picked up by the liver again, where they will be disassembled and their fats either discarded or recycled once more.

One loop of the lipid cycle starts in the intestine and distributes lipids you just ate. Another starts in the liver and distributes lipoproteins your liver made. And a third loop starts in the periphery—that is, the rest of the body—and distributes lipoproteins made by the skin, brain, and other organs. Each of the three sources (intestine, liver, and periphery) manufactures its own brand of lipoproteins complete with its own proprietary labels.

When everything works properly, your arteries stay wide-open, pretty pink, and clean. But when fats don't get delivered properly, they pile up in the bloodstream, damaging epithelial cells and giving arteries a yellowish, irregular, lumpy appearance that is conspicuously unhealthy . [...]

How Bad Diet Damages Lipoproteins and Causes Arterial Disease

What damages lipoprotein labels? One of the most important factors, appears to be sugar. As I'll discuss in the next chapter, sugar adheres to things by a process called glycation. Over time, this stiffens cell membranes, leading to prediabetes and consistently elevated blood sugar levels. When-ever blood sugar levels are high, it creates an opportunity for sugar to gum up the protein labels on your lipoprotein particles. And that's a problem.

In 1988, researchers working in Lyon, France discovered that when the labels on HDL particles got jammed up with sugar, they simply fell off.227 The study was done in a test tube, where the denuded HDL particles ad¬hered to the glass. In your body, the naked fat would be exposed to blood. That's no good, and I'll explain why below. Let me first point out that one of the common findings in diabetic patients is a low HDL level. One possible explanation is that the excessive sugar in their blood has knocked the coats off their HDL, and the naked particles have fallen out of circulation.

And what about LDL? In 1990, another experiment investigated what sugar does to LDL. This time, the labels didn't fall off, but rather became so deranged as to be illegible and unrecognizable to hungry cells.228 As a result, glycated LDL particles stay in circulation too long, which would explain why some diabetics have high LDL levels: With so many undeliverable LDL packages floating around, they just start adding up.229,23° (When LDL levels are high because of glycation, then high LDL is a problem, as we'll see.)

Most diabetics have high triglyceride levels. Triglyceride is not a lipo-protein. Like cholesterol, it is a component of all lipoproteins. Triglycerides are carried in both LDL and HDL particles. But the vast majority of triglyc¬eride is carried by chylomicrons (the lipoprotein particles your gut makes right after a meal) and very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL), which your liver makes from recycled fats. These plump nutrient carriers want to deliver their cargo into your hungry cells. But, like all lipoproteins, they can't do the job all alone. They need a special enzyme—think of it as a dock-worker—to pick 'the fatty acids up and carry them into the cell. A study done in 1990 showed that sugar interferes with this process.231 So if you have high blood sugar, that sugar may shred the lipoprotein coats beyond recognition, or simply rip them off the particles' backs. If the particles ever do make it to a cellular dock, sugar keeps them from completing the delivery. [...]

In your body, one of the most dangerous things a lipoprotein can carry is oxidized, pro-inflammatory fat—MegaTrans. When that gets spilled inside your arteries, your body calls on its own HazMat unit.232 But in pre-diabetics and diabetics, so much bad fat is released (either all at once or over time) that the cleanup crews can't keep up and arteries wind up getting in¬jured by free radical cascades and, literally, fried .

Sugar and vegetable oil combine forces to destroy arteries. First, sugar blocks lipoproteins from getting to their destination, forcing them to dump their cargo into your arteries. Second, the explosive, MegaTrans-rich vegeta¬ble oil cargo coats arteries with a toxic goo. If you want to keep your arteries healthy, you'll want to know what that toxic goo does.

Back
Top Bottom