Stoic Ethics, Rationality and the Feeling Function

« Reply #11 of Andromeda on: February 19, 2014, 08:24:47 PM »

"I suppose it would probably be difficult to only think and feel, or to only sense and intuit and still be alive."

------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------- ------------------------------------

Invites us to think your supposition, Andromeda. I wonder what is the third missing element. Everybody should seek knowledge everywhere. Scientists love numbers, but, which came first, the music or the numbers?
and thinking about senses, meanwhile:

A Sense (Un Senso). Singer: Vasco Rossi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StRtFh01XUo&feature=kp

Lyrics
I want to find a meaning to this night
Although this night do not have a sense
I want to find a meaning to this life
altuough this life does not have a sense

I want to find meaning to this story
although this story does not have a sense
I want to find sense of this desire
although this desire does not have a sense

You know what I think?
That makes no sense if
morning will come
anyway, tomorrow will come.

Feel how beautiful wind
tlme is never enough
tomorrow is another day that will come

I want to find a meaning of this situation
although this situation does not have a sense
I want to find a meaning of this condition
although this condition does not have a sense

You know what I think?
That makes no sense if
morning will come
anyway, tomorrow will come

feel what beautiful wind
time is never enough
tomorrow is another day will come
Tomorrow is another day...already is here.

I want to make a sense of many things
although many things does not have a sense
morning will come
anyway, tomorrow will come

feel that beautiful... etc., etc., etc..

More on the feeling function.

In the Work, we talk about external consideration. I think external consideration is not possible without a certain level of development of the feeling function. We need the help of all the functions in this respect, but let us focus more on the feeling aspect of it.

James Hillman writes
[quote author=Lectures on Jung's Typology]
The ability to handle a problem or talk with a person in the right way shows a rational discrimination and an adjustment to what is needed. Yet, the entire operation may not be intellectual. One says different things to different people according to the values of the situation and according to the requirements of the other person. These answers to questions may not be either truthful or correct in the logical sense, but from the point of view of feeling they may be exactly right.

When a child asks for an explanation, an answer may be given from thinking or from feeling; at times, a story that answers to the anxiety in the child may be “truer” than an intellectual explanation of causes. To hit the mark truly does not mean always to tell the factual or logical truth. In therapy, a problem may often be relieved by absurdities of anecdote or parable, in the manner of the masters, rather than by relentless logical reductions. In resolving a conflict often the whole picture of harmony is more important than either logic or facts. The function of feeling then creates a situation in which viewpoints may rationally blend even though the opposing logical and factual issues have not been settled and may even have been compromised.
[/quote]

This brings us to timing and tact and their relationship with the feeling function.

There is a time sense connected with the feeling function, which is not mentioned in the literature, yet which is part of the ratio of the feeling function. The sense of timing and tact is a function of feeling often incompatible with the reason of thinking. This division gives occasion to doing the right thing at the wrong time. There is a “feel” to each discrete moment and each chain of moments. Each life has its “feel” to it, the way its time courses, which turns a case history into a soul history, a chain of events into a patterned rhythm.
Tact, or the sense of timing, is perhaps the crown of appropriate feeling. Ecclesiastes puts it simply: to everything there is a season. Everything has its time. Perhaps feeling is merely tactfulness, a matter of timing. Humor depends wholly on it, and music is the art of time. The feeling function perceives time: as, for instance, when visiting a person in the hospital, staying not too short or too long, feeling the time to get up and go. The quality of time, rather than the amount one gives another, carries the feeling. For this reason, disturbed feeling – the guilty feelings from the mother complex – distorts the time sense, and one gives quantities of time with only grains of feeling.

Time has a quality – or is a quality. It is not but an accumulation of endlessly clicking identical minutes into eternity. The development of the time Sense means the development of feeling awareness of the moment and of biography different from the moment constructed by the thinking clock. Rather there is a moment as quantitatively long or short as feeling shapes it. Moments have sizes: there are long moments, big moments, and moments so crowded that nothing finds place. Feeling shapes time, breaking it up into various kinds of feeling tones. These tones are not on the same band of continuity as seven o’clock follows six, which followed five. Feeling time is organized in clusters, more like an organic growth, so that today has its roots perhaps in a day last summer (and not yesterday which belonged to a wholly different branch). Thus we do pick up old relationships again where we left off. And thus is continuity so essential for feeling development.

The elapse of time may or may not alter the feeling function. When we hold a thing long and wrong, we still resent; but sometimes, through continuity, the feeling function finds a new connection and new value to an event and we can forgive. Again, there is no other education possible but that of courage to bear the long-drawn-out unchanging aspect of oneself. This teaches the feeling function patience.

[/quote]

The role of manners has been discussed here : External Considering and Good Manners . Manners is one of the traditional ways of training the feeling function.

The education of feeling involves also the observance of objective patterns of relationship.There are rules, for instance, about the relationship of guest and host, of senior and junior, between master and servant, between friends, even between husband and wife.....We find it difficult to observe objective patterns, especially when they are hierarchical. To hold a superior position without either arrogance or obsequiousness, to give an order without its turning into either a request for a favor or a command, to observe filial piety without succumbing to the family complex – these are beyond our usual capacities and are not educational aims in a society of democratic individualism.

The objective patterns of relationship are codified in manners. Learning manners means learning forms of feeling. Again, it can be argued that what one really feels has little to do with manners. Manners, it would seem, prevent feeling, because feeling has come to mean a breakthrough of sincerity, putting aside all manners, and “coming out with it,” “feeling it like it is.” Problems of human contact between black and white, between revolutionary and establishment have reached the place of nonnegotiable demands where manners are a laugh! To make a case for manners in a historical period of violence points up the difference between feeling and affect. (Not that feeling cannot also be a conduit for aggression, as in cruelty, brainwashing, or the code of the military.)

Yet manners at their best oppose only affect (i.e the expression of emotions) , not feeling (which is an evaluating function). Feelings that seem too deeply personal for manners reveal the inadequacy of our manners, that they have lost touch with their original purpose. For manners, whether polished or pioneer, give to feeling a form in which it can be understood and received. They offer feeling channels for communication; even the negative feelings of insult and spleen can be passed on by manners. Through the
adroit use of them we can freeze, snub, hurt, and ridicule, or show off to arouse envy. That manners become dry, that they reflect only persona, that they become mannered and lose all content and connection with sensitivity only confirm the primary thesis of this chapter: the feeling function is in decay. A standard sign of psychological decay is the split into polarities. On the one hand we have blunt and pregnant feelings, on the other, manners emptied of all service but defense.

The rediscovery of the archetypal significance of manners as necessary and viable channels rather than protective moats would re-ritualize them and give to the careless acts of every day an aspect of ceremony. We would feel with certainty about the simplest aspects of daily life – how to behave and what is expected. Manners would give us the “manner” of dealing. Instead, we must give worried time to molding for each inconsequential thing its own form, or we abandon all such feeling efforts, leaving it to the mothering mass of democratic fellow feeling, which is always supposed to “understand what I meant by that.” (“The general mess of imprecision of feeling / Undisciplined squads of emotion” – does Eliot not refer to decayed manners?) The obsessive worry with which we confront daily decisions of feeling, to the profit of advertisers and advisers who batten on our uncertainty, is the result of feeling forms having fallen into unconsciousness. Unlived ritual becomes unconscious obsessions and compulsions.
[/quote]

The archetypal dimension of objective patterns of relationship in different situations is explored in The Odyssey - Manual of Secret Teachings

To train the feeling function so that it can reach the heights it has the potential to reach and become the driver of development we need courage and faith.

The courage is required to acknowledge the reality of the situation - which is our feeling function is for most cases poorly developed. To train the function, the first step is to accept it as it is today - in a poor, wretched condition. Covering up the reality of the situation with ready-made emotions learned through imitation or hiding behind the twin refuges of intellectualization or aestheticization (becoming fascinated or indiscriminately appreciative of the perceived "beauty" of the various aspects of life and existence) are detrimental to the development of the feeling function.

Faith is needed to let the poorly developed function grow by making mistakes. This means becoming vulnerable to a certain extent in appropriate circumstances. Jung believed that the psyche itself has a self-correcting and self-regulating tendency and the unconscious can and does work in favor of development and wholeness (or individuation) provided the conscious ego enters into a proper balanced relationship with it. Since most if not all of us would likely have troubles in plumbing the depths of the unconscious by ourselves, we can take advantage of networking with others, in whom we very often find the reflection or projection of those parts of our own unconscious which we repress or reject or even overvalue.

A well developed and differentiated feeling function can often make its presence felt in the small things of life. It shows through small acts - what is said or done - and also what is not said or not done - according to the needs of a specific situation. Intellect finds it difficult to pin down exactly - yet it is a rational, logical art of small things. This imo brings out the essence of living life according to the Stoic teachings.

obyvatel said:

In the Work, we talk about external consideration. I think external consideration is not possible without a certain level of development of the feeling function. We need the help of all the functions in this respect, but let us focus more on the feeling aspect of it.

James Hillman writes
The ability to handle a problem or talk with a person in the right way shows a rational discrimination and an adjustment to what is needed. Yet, the entire operation may not be intellectual. One says different things to different people according to the values of the situation and according to the requirements of the other person. These answers to questions may not be either truthful or correct in the logical sense, but from the point of view of feeling they may be exactly right.

When a child asks for an explanation, an answer may be given from thinking or from feeling; at times, a story that answers to the anxiety in the child may be “truer” than an intellectual explanation of causes. To hit the mark truly does not mean always to tell the factual or logical truth. In therapy, a problem may often be relieved by absurdities of anecdote or parable, in the manner of the masters, rather than by relentless logical reductions. In resolving a conflict often the whole picture of harmony is more important than either logic or facts. The function of feeling then creates a situation in which viewpoints may rationally blend even though the opposing logical and factual issues have not been settled and may even have been compromised.

To train the feeling function so that it can reach the heights it has the potential to reach and become the driver of development we need courage and faith.

The courage is required to acknowledge the reality of the situation - which is our feeling function is for most cases poorly developed. To train the function, the first step is to accept it as it is today - in a poor, wretched condition. Covering up the reality of the situation with ready-made emotions learned through imitation or hiding behind the twin refuges of intellectualization or aestheticization (becoming fascinated or indiscriminately appreciative of the perceived "beauty" of the various aspects of life and existence) are detrimental to the development of the feeling function.

Faith is needed to let the poorly developed function grow by making mistakes. This means becoming vulnerable to a certain extent in appropriate circumstances. Jung believed that the psyche itself has a self-correcting and self-regulating tendency and the unconscious can and does work in favor of development and wholeness (or individuation) provided the conscious ego enters into a proper balanced relationship with it. Since most if not all of us would likely have troubles in plumbing the depths of the unconscious by ourselves, we can take advantage of networking with others, in whom we very often find the reflection or projection of those parts of our own unconscious which we repress or reject or even overvalue.

A well developed and differentiated feeling function can often make its presence felt in the small things of life. It shows through small acts - what is said or done - and also what is not said or not done - according to the needs of a specific situation. Intellect finds it difficult to pin down exactly - yet it is a rational, logical art of small things. This imo brings out the essence of living life according to the Stoic teachings.
[/quote]

It's funny I read the exact same book from the library a few weeks ago.

The more I think about Jung's division of functions, the less I seem to understand it, especially in light of Gurdjieff's system of centers and other aspects of cognitive science. Jung calls the irrational functions unconscious, and the rational functions conscious. Obviously his notion of consciousness differs much from Gurdjieff and Timothy Wilson's and Daniel Khaneman's understanding. I'm also having trouble understanding why thinking and feeling are opposed, and why intuiting and sensing are opposed. Are these just binary indicators of how developed one's emotional intelligence (feeling) and groundedness are? (sensing). Intuition to me seems like it arises and can take any sort of form, whether sensory, emotional, or mental; in any case I don't see why intuiting and ability to infer possibilities is opposed to directly observing and dealing with external content. Smoke means fire. Is that sensing or intuiting? It seems too automatic an association to actually call the thinking function. :huh: You know sometimes I really love feeling stupid (not in the ignorance is bliss sense though).

As for the distinction between rational/evaluation functions like thinking/feeling and irrational/perceptive functions like intuiting/sensing,

whitecoast said:
The more I think about Jung's division of functions, the less I seem to understand it, especially in light of Gurdjieff's system of centers and other aspects of cognitive science. Jung calls the irrational functions unconscious, and the rational functions conscious. Obviously his notion of consciousness differs much from Gurdjieff and Timothy Wilson's and Daniel Khaneman's understanding.

My understanding is that the unconscious used as a noun is a storehouse of information - it can be looked at like an information field (like AI mentioned). The functions access and evaluate the information. The irrational functions - sensing and intuition - are perceptive in nature and are used for acquiring data about the world. Jung described intuition as perception via the unconscious. When we are accessing possibilities or potentialities that are not physically materialized (at least for us), we are using our intuition to access those potentialities from the unconscious. The functions themselves are not unconscious. Can you provide the context and the quote where Jung said that the irrational functions are unconscious?

Reading Jung's lectures, it is clear that he saw and described what latter psychologists have identified as the adaptive unconscious or system1/system2. Jung's concept of the unconscious covers vast territory. This is how I understand Jung's model of the psyche and its extension:

Imagine a series of concentric (or interpenetrating) circles starting from a small circle and followed by circles of progressively larger radii. The boundaries between these circles are porous - so content can flow in both directions across the boundaries.

The smallest circle is the personal ego consciousness. Everything outside this small circle is the unconscious.

The circle immediately surrounding the ego consciousness is the "personal unconscious". This is what Wilson has described as the "adaptive unconscious". It contains all the information that we collect about the world including past personal experiences we have had. Everything beyond this personal unconscious is broadly called the collective unconscious.

It is possible to break the collective unconscious up into components as well. The next circle contains experiences collected by our parents and extending into the direct ancestral line. This would be embedded in a bigger circle of the collective social and cultural experiences of mankind. This in turn would be embedded in even wider circles - traversing dimensions and then densities - including all creation.

[quote author=whitecoast]
I'm also having trouble understanding why thinking and feeling are opposed, and why intuiting and sensing are opposed. Are these just binary indicators of how developed one's emotional intelligence (feeling) and groundedness are? (sensing).
[/quote]

The way I understand "opposed" is that the opposed functions cannot be simultaneously active in our psyche. This is perhaps due to "hardware limitations" - like brain area activation and neural firing patterns . When I put my attention on sensing - paying attention to breath, posture, muscular tensions (inside the body) or seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting etc (from outside), I cannot simultaneously consider possibilities or potentialities about abstract stuff. This is easier to observe and verify in oneself. The same basic concept holds true imo for thinking and feeling as well though it may be more tricky to directly verify in the way of sensing and intuiting.

Intuition to me seems like it arises and can take any sort of form, whether sensory, emotional, or mental;
[/quote]

Usually the acquiring of information through the perceptive (irrational) functions and the processing of that information through the rational functions happen too quickly so that they appear to be all mixed up together. It is possible to slow down in retrospect and see how the acquiring of information is separate from the processing imo but the usefulness of doing it depends on the specific situation and what we want to learn from it.

in any case I don't see why intuiting and ability to infer possibilities is opposed to directly observing and dealing with external content. Smoke means fire. Is that sensing or intuiting? It seems too automatic an association to actually call the thinking function.
[/quote]

What we perceive through the sense organs is sensing, what we perceive through the unconscious is intuiting. Smoke is sensed; fire is inferred through meaning making; to me it looks like sensing-thinking.

[quote author=ai]Which reminds me: one thing missing in Jung's functions, but which Dabrowski includes, is psychomotor overexcitability. If sensing and intuiting are receptive (bottom-up) functions, and if thinking and feeling are evaluative functions, psychomotor (i.e., activity) would be the top-down function. If we only sensed, intuited, felt, and thought, we might be alive, but we wouldn't actually do anything.
[/quote]

Thinking of this in terms of Gurdjieff's centers, it's like the instinctive center possesses both perceptive and evaluative processes, which seems like Jung's sensing and Dabrowski's psychomotor function. Since a person or animal only needs that center to function, it must be capable of carrying out evaluation, if only in a very basic, conditioned what-you-see-is-all-there-is sort of way.

Approaching Infinity said:
But as the quote in Obyvatel's post says: "the separation of functions is not sharply defined".

Yes, very true. Even if they are distinct at one level, they can be confused or indistinguishable at another.

We might get someone who predominately (overall or in the moment):
Thinks and intuits
Feels and senses
Thinks and senses
Feels and intuits

Perhaps these examples might match up, in order:
-theorist (need to be a good thinker and be able to intuit new connections/syntheses, but without good feeling, can't necessarily come up with the right theory; without good sensing, can't utilize all relevant data)
-sensualist (evaluates sensory impressions of the world and body, but without much critical thought or intuition of wider values)
-experimentalist (need to be a good thinker and have a good handle on data received via the senses),
-artist/empath (needs to properly evaluate non-sensory information, e.g., aesthetic norms, feelings of others).

I was going somewhere similar, but your description is better than mine. I think I called the artist/empath a 'space cadet'. :lol: It's interesting to observe how, depending on the situation and subject matter, we can switch between these general combinations.

Which reminds me: one thing missing in Jung's functions, but which Dabrowski includes, is psychomotor overexcitability. If sensing and intuiting are receptive (bottom-up) functions, and if thinking and feeling are evaluative functions, psychomotor (i.e., activity) would be the top-down function. If we only sensed, intuited, felt, and thought, we might be alive, but we wouldn't actually do anything.

Good point.

obyvatel said:
Digressing a little bit from the main topic, just like having a lot of thoughts does not mean one is using the thinking function and having a lot of feelings does not mean one is using the feeling function, there is also pretense or "covering up" reactions. Marie Von Franz writes

Lectures on Jung's Typology] Life has no mercy with the inferiority of the inferior function. That is why people produce such “covering up” reactions. Because it is not their real reaction said:
Marie Von Franz gives some examples of the typical one-sidedness of urban dwelling modern man. He may have one function that works better than the others (his superior function) and when the urge comes in from the unconscious to redress the one-sidedness by developing the inferior function, the initial impetus is quickly hijacked by the superior function.

It is not only the superior function that interferes with the inferior function(s). It can sometimes also work the other way. Jung believed that the unconscious produces compensatory reactions to excessively one-sided conscious ego attitudes to keep a regulating balance in the psyche. When the one-sidedness is not consciously addressed, the inferior function(s) can come up and give the superior function an "unadapted neurotic twist.".

Yes, and this may be more difficult to detect in ourselves than in others. Since the superior function is more demonstrative, the lesser tributaries often go unnoticed, but they sure make a difference.

obyvatel said:

That makes a lot of sense.

On the possible combinations of the superior and auxiliary functions from the Portable Jung there are a few examples like: "practical thinking backed by sensation, speculative thinking with intuition, artistic intuition selecting and presenting its images with feeling values and philosophical intuition systematizing its vision into comprehensible thought by means of a powerful intellect and so on." Furthermore it's stated that the unconscious functions would have their own attitude that correlates with the conscious one ie. conscious pratical thinking with an unconscious intuitive-feeling attitude. The one major warning given is to not attempt to develop the inferior function directly so the conscious standpoint is protected. The way of development must proceed via the auxiliary function in order for a) rational types to have a broader view of what's happening and what's possible and b) irrational types to gain a stronger development of the rational auxiliary or judgement to handle the unconscious.

Here is an excerpt from St Exupery's "The Little Prince" - Possibility Of Being posted part of it in the "Marius the Giraffe..." thread. It seems to bring out some key differences in the thinking and feeling functions.

For those not familiar with the story - here is a little prince who lives in an asteroid far away who has come down to the earth looking for a solution to a problem his asteroid is under. On the earth he meets a fox and an exchange takes place.

[quote author=The Little Prince]

"Who are you?" asked the little prince, adding, "You are very pretty to look at."

"I am a fox," the fox said.

"Come play with me," proposed the little prince. "I am so unhappy."

"I cannot play with you," the fox said. "I am not tamed".

"Ah! Please excuse me," said the little prince.

But, after some thought, he added: "What does that mean - 'tame'?"

"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. "It means to establish ties."

"To establish ties?"

"Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me you will be unique in all the world. To you I shall be unique in all the world. .....

" I am beginning to understand," said the little prince. "There is a flower ... I think she has tamed me".

"My life is very monotonous", [the fox] said. "I hunt chickens; men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike. And in consequence, I am a little bored. But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat ...."

The fox gazed at the little prince for a long time.

"Please - tame me!" he said.

"I want to, very much," the little prince replied. "But I have not much time. I have friends to discover, and a great many things to understand."

"One only understands the things that one tames," said the fox. "Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things all ready made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame me . . ."

"What must I do, to tame you?" asked the little prince.

"You must be very patient," replied the fox. "First you will sit down at a little distance from me--like that--in the grass. I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings. But you will sit a little closer to me, every day . . ."

The next day the little prince came back.

"It would have been better to come back at the same hour," said the fox. "If, for example, you come at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to be happy. I shall feel happier and happier as the hour advances. At four o'clock, I shall already be worrying and jumping about. I shall show you how happy I am! But if you come at just any time, I shall never know at what hour my heart is to be ready to greet you . . . One must observe the proper rites . . ."

"What is a rite?" asked the little prince.

"Those also are actions too often neglected," said the fox. "They are what make one day different from other days, one hour from other hours. There is a rite, for example, among my hunters. Every Thursday they dance with the village girls. So Thursday is a wonderful day for me! I can take a walk as far as the vineyards. But if the hunters danced at just any time, every day would be like every other day, and I should never have any vacation at all."

So the little prince tamed the fox. And when the hour of his departure drew near--

"Ah," said the fox, "I shall cry."

"It is your own fault," said the little prince. "I never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you . . ."

"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

"But now you are going to cry!" said the little prince.

"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

"Then it has done you no good at all!"

"It has done me good," said the fox, "because of the color of the wheat fields." And then he added:

"Go and look again at the roses. You will understand now that yours is unique in all the world. Then come back to say goodbye to me, and I will make you a present of a secret."

And he went back to meet the fox.

"Goodbye," he said.

"Goodbye," said the fox. "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

"What is essential is invisible to the eye," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.

"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."

"It is the time I have wasted for my rose--" said the little prince, so that he would be sure to remember.

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose . . ."

"I am responsible for my rose," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.
[/quote]

There is a type of thinking, which Marie Von Franz calls "statistical thinking", which when applied to in the wrong context can greatly stifle the development of the feeling function. Statistical thinking has its own place. However when it is applied to certain aspects of life which reduces relationships and acts to "just one of the million things that happen", it cuts us off from the feeling function by removing the value derived from the perception of uniqueness. This is what the fox is referring to when it says that it is just one among many foxes as is the little prince one among many little boys as long as a relationship has not been established.

When are told to make every act count, or do things as if the fate of the universe depends on our acts - we are being asked to make use of our feeling function. If we cannot appreciate the act, we cannot carry them out in their right spirit. If we reduce all acts down to something monotonous, something that has been done many times through the countless centuries, it can be intellectually "right" but wrong from the feeling aspect.

I remembered reading an incident narrated at a Gurdjieff meeting - a young girl was asked to hand out some sweets to people. She was handing them out in a matter of fact manner when Gurdjieff admonished her and showed how it was to be done - with an exaggerated theatrical flourish. A trivial incident - but it shows something important.

The idea is not to brand thinking - even statistical thinking - as bad, as is done in circles which promote the "wisdom of the heart". When confronted with negative emotions - like when Epictetus says that "a glass is broken or wine is stolen", we often personalize it and think that the universe has singled us out to throw bricks at us. Here thinking universally - as in such things affect everyone - is helpful to calm us down and look at things more objectively. We can do this without repression - if we hold together both aspects. We acknowledge to our own selves that we are upset/angry/sad at what happened. Also we acknowledge that this is something that happens to everyone.

Then again where we try to make our acts count and perform them as if this was the last time we would do this act (another Stoic advice) - we use the feeling function to focus on the uniqueness of the present moment and the act embedded within it. Yes, this act has been repeated countless number of times by others - yet I choose to assign special value to how I do it right here, right now.

Is this a trick we play on ourselves? Maybe - I do not know. But it makes life more meaningful and does help in the attainment of both tranquility and virtue - results that are worth living and striving for.

Our moral evaluative judgments essentially come from the feeling function. In many cases, the these evaluative judgments arise spontaneously and come into the edge of our consciousness fully formed. We like or dislike a person or some action or event often without conscious deliberation. This is referred to in 4th Way as the emotional center being much faster than the thinking center and in common parlance, this is termed gut feeling. Usually, the thinking faculty is brought to bear to explain and justify with reasons what the feeling function has already evaluated and pronounced judgment on. Stoic ethics has a significant moral component - so once again the criticism of stoic philosophy as being opposed to feeling is a misconception.

A growing body of research is dedicated towards understanding the moral dimension of human existence. Let us look at this research in summarized form in order to throw more light on the much neglected feeling function. Jonathan Haidt and colleagues have proposed a a Moral Foundation Theory (MFT). The basic claims of this theory are

- the human mind is organized and comes prepared in such a way that it is able to learn values, norms and behaviors related to a diverse set of recurrent social problems. In other words there is a "first draft of the moral mind" which precedes experience and is open for inputs as the human being develops. This claim is consistent with the esoteric claim that the emotional center of a new-born is characterized by "purity" but is different from the empty state (tabula rasa) of the thinking center. Moral foundations refer to these first drafts which are present in the human mind. So far 5 such foundations have been proposed. Perhaps we can call these foundations as the "moral substratum" as a subset of the instinctive substratum proposed by Lobaczewski.

- this first draft gets overwritten during development by social and cultural influences. These influences build up the moral structure in an individual in ways particular to the culture. Depending on the culture, all foundations may not be used equally or at all during development. Also depending on whether the culture is more individualistic (like present western cultures) or more collective (like eastern cultures), the moral foundations are utilized differently.

Here is a synopsis of the 5 moral foundations

[quote author=moralfoundations.org]

1) Care/harm: This foundation is related to our long evolution as mammals with attachment systems and an ability to feel (and dislike) the pain of others. It underlies virtues of kindness, gentleness, and nurturance.

2) Fairness/cheating: This foundation is related to the evolutionary process of reciprocal altruism. It generates ideas of justice, rights, and autonomy. ...

3) Loyalty/betrayal: This foundation is related to our long history as tribal creatures able to form shifting coalitions. It underlies virtues of patriotism and self-sacrifice for the group. It is active anytime people feel that it's "one for all, and all for one."

4) Authority/subversion: This foundation was shaped by our long primate history of hierarchical social interactions. It underlies virtues of leadership and followership, including deference to legitimate authority and respect for traditions.

5) Sanctity/degradation: This foundation was shaped by the psychology of disgust and contamination. It underlies religious notions of striving to live in an elevated, less carnal, more noble way. It underlies the widespread idea that the body is a temple which can be desecrated by immoral activities and contaminants (an idea not unique to religious traditions).
[/quote]

In individualist cultures, morality is built on the foundations catering predominantly towards the rights and activities of the individual. In family oriented cultures, the rights of the family come first and the individual is viewed more as a member of the family unit rather than an autonomous entity. What is moral in a more individualist culture can conflict with what is moral in a more collective culture.

Also, morality can apply to a community where individuals are related symbolically and ideologically rather than genetically. Religious and political communities are two most common examples.

Empirical data obtained from the application of the MFT in a large (20000) population of Americans revealed 4 clusters.

- The social conservatives scored very high on the loyalty/authority/sanctity foundations and very low on the care/fairness foundations.

- The social liberals scored very high on care/fairness foundations and very low on the loyalty/authority/sanctity foundations. They were mostly atheists and also predictably scored low on the RWA (Right Wing Authoritarian) scale.

These two results largely conform to the general stereotypes of liberals and conservatives. The next two clusters are interesting.

- The libertarians scored low on all 5 moral foundations and valued hedonism and self-direction. This group was mostly atheists.

- The religious left scored high on all 5 moral foundations.

Discovery of the libertarian cluster brought up the question whether the 5 foundations of morality could cover the entire spectrum of human morality. The libertarians value liberty very highly. They want to be left alone eschewing interdependence and value reason over emotion. To accommodate them, adding a foundation of "liberty" as the sixth element of MFT is being considered.

Psychopathic personalities were studied as well. They scored low on the care/fairness foundations. They scored high on loyalty(. If you are surprised, then the next sentence would reassure you). Psychopathic personalities showed greater willingness to violate all five moral foundations for money - in other words their "loyalty" is towards money - not morality.

Coming back to the feeling function and its connection to morality, in the absence of any systematic education of the feeling function, moral teachings picked up on the way would significantly influence its working. The moral foundations are often in conflict with each other. When confronted with the issue of "fairness" or "care" towards members belonging to a different ideological group, the "loyalty" towards the in-group is brought into conflict. Similarly "sanctity" of a certain belief system can come into conflict with moral foundation of "care" towards individuals or groups who violate that sense of sanctity. An example of conflict from the medical world is presented here .

The moral foundations by themselves are neither "good" or "bad". Some of the foundations have been coopted and abused more than the others - like loyalty/authority/sanctity have been abused far more than care/fairness. Since these foundations evoke unconscious reactions to situations, they are often the source of "limiting emotions" which hold us back. So, it is important to bring them into consciousness so that they can be examined, developed through knowledge input and then properly applied in appropriate contexts. This would create the conditions in which the proper development of the feeling function can take place.

For anyone interested, here is the pdf link for MFT research paper.

Back
Top Bottom