Are you a Narcissist?

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
“To what extent do you agree with this statement: “I am a narcissist.” (Note: The word “narcissist” means egotistical, self-focused, and vain.)”

Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 7 where 1 is “not very true of me” and 7 is “very true of me”.

How to answer? Big mirror just popped up and tain't pretty, I believe myself to lie to me, then again is this answer from my low self-esteem? No matter what, this is a very difficult question.

Since dissociation seems like "self-focused", I'd say 6 too since it seems quite difficult to get through a day without a ridiculous dissociation.

I think I mostly know the best way to do things compared to my workmates so that would make me egotistical
For certain things I feel like I'm free of vantiy like not feeling the need to wear make up, have the latest beauty procedures, wear the lastest trends yet I like my hair to look a certain way even if that certain way is different and messy I don't feel like myself if it's not like that so I'm guilty of vanity. As for self focused I find I can sometimes get grumpy if things don't go my way or if I don't get what I want. I am aware of these things though and quick to identify them. I think to myself this is the predators mind at work here and try to make changes. If we look carefully I think we can all find these aspects in ourselves.

7!
From the age of about 11 I was told that I was attractive - it was at this point I got heavily drawn into social networking sites - for example Myspace and Facebook. I was one of the ones who constantly took pictures of myself in the mirror, in the bathroom, anywhere in the house was potentially a good scene for a 'selfie'. :-[

This obsession with myself and my physical appearance only grew larger as I would have an increasing number of people commenting on my pictures. I learned to rely on others to boost my self esteem and solely identified myself AS my appearance, putting aside my personality. Ever since I can remember, when there has been a mirror in the room I cannot stop but look at it for a few moments at a time... Walking down the street past parked cars I feel my eyes drifting to check my reflection.

I no longer take pictures of myself, although I still struggle a lot with looking at mirrors. The looking now is no longer to admire though, it has gone from admiring my looks and complimenting myself - to a complete drop in self esteem, self hatred and constant self critism :(
If I understand correctly, both are two sides of the same narcissistic coin?

There seems to have been a massive shift in my perceptions since reading Laura's work and some of the recommended reading list. It almost seems as if I am being attacked internally since I have endeavoured to change and align myself with truth. Maybe now I am only seeing the imperfections that my narcissistic illusions prevented me from seeing before, and in choosing to align with truth - this is part of the unveiling process. To see my self a little bit more objectively perhaps.

My absolute self critic manifests outwardly in many of my relationships as well, especially with my significant other. I can be so overly critical and perfectionistic which causes tension a lot of the time as well.

I think mostly I am self-centered, I reading for self, thinking for self, playing with imagination, or taking some form of entertainment for self, but sometimes: 1) I response to others people requests of different nature even if I have to persist myself to help and/or if it's not for me on the hand, and 2) I search, from my own free will, for opportunity to share something with others without any profit for me. Those two things soften my narcissism.

So, I make equatation 7-2=5... and my answer will be: 5.

Laura said:
“To what extent do you agree with this statement: “I am a narcissist.” (Note: The word “narcissist” means egotistical, self-focused, and vain.)”

Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 7 where 1 is “not very true of me” and 7 is “very true of me”.

What would an actual narcissist say in response to this question? I'm sure a lot would claim 7 because they see themselves as so altruistic because of the things they do for their families or friends. Then you go and speak to people who are raised by those narcissists and they report how controlling and manipulative and insinuating all their "good deeds" are. :shock:

(4 btw. I have an innate self esteem that drives me to think well (or at least compassionately) of myself. But it's a self-image that receives continuous input from the real world, so I try and change my behavior and thoughts to better match the person I feel I should be. To me that's just regular human psychological functioning though.)

I would have to say 5 or 6 for sure. Even if I don't show it externally sometimes I catch myself or my ego rather, rage when someone treats what I am saying with incredulity. But that's just my guess through my own bias and filters. I am not sure what the objective score would be.

Is it even possible to not display any characteristics of narcissism given our condition? Wouldn't us being here on this planet (even though by group consensus) in this physical/material plane of reality imply some form of narcissism that we all share to some extent? Or am I confusing concepts?

All of that being said, I think phrasing it terms of a spectrum would be closer to how it manifest. Osit. I.e. blatant pathological narcissism that is readily identified by a great many people or someone that nurtures their ego from time to time....wait couldn't the condition of being STS include narcissistic traits?

Edit: typos, clarity

If I go by how I feel: 6.

If I try to take a more detached perspective: 5.

What enters into the estimate is: excessive self-concern (including in motivation for "doing good" and for trying to avoid the opposite); my personal "narrative" being the frame of reference for nearly everything in life; being driven in very large part by what I personally find interesting; and dissociation, living in my own little bubble most of the time.

At the same time, in comparison to full-blown narcissism, I know that narcissistic qualities could be a lot worse/more extensive, hence not a full score.

I'd rate myself a 4.

A true narcissist would probably admit it, but they have no interest in working on themselves. So, I'll shoot for the middle ground. :)

Back
Top Bottom