Home Grown Tobacco

Gonzo said:
It might be worth adding to Wu Wei Wu's comment on the 15kg personal amount, that this is a federal (Canada) requirement. Individual provinces may also have tax laws that need to be checked. For example, Ontario (my province) is moving toward a certification process that may apply to growing for personal use. The exemption period ends Dec. 31, 2014, after which it appears any grower will need to apply for certification (_http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/tax/tt/rawleaf.html). Other provinces may also be moving toward further regulating tobacco growing, so check your provincial laws as well.

Regarding cooperative growing. I like the idea of pooling resources for such an important product. But such a venture would not be without its risks. Since tobacco is regulated in many countries, one would need a really good lawyer to help determine the risks associated with such a venture, including legal liability should a member turn against the group and try to sue for "harm". As well, we may see the day when the war on drugs extends to tobacco, which, considering the success at vilifying tobacco, probably could be initiated with little public resistance. Some things might be better done in a legally-compliant manner without drawing attention.

Gonzo
Yes, I agree. To be safe any such coops should be done within countries, not between them, and in accordance with the law. All I know is US law on this. The U.S. is actually far more lenient on this than the other English speaking countries (not saying much, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand are awful on tobacco). I believe growing tobacco for personal use is illegal in Australia.

I ordered my tobacco from Peru, it was Nicotiana Rustica (mapacho). I prefer this tobacco the most. But according to the law of my country I cannot order it anymore, and what I was told at the custom’s control that I’m not allow to receive such packages even though it was packed as “natural supplements”. The first time I ordered it I received it successfully. The second time I order it, I didn’t receive, so I called the customs control and they told me that it wasn’t allow in the country and my package has been returned. I asked them if it was because of some new law, because I already received such package. They said that I just got lucky. They that by law they choose a certain number of packages randomly, which they will check. By the way this package that was sent back to Peru get stuck somewhere in Poland and I didn’t receive my money back. This variety of tobacco helped me a lot when I have some stomach aches as a cause of eating something that my body doesn’t tolerate anymore on ketosis.
I found some similar tobacco here in Ukraine. (I guess it was a mix of Nicotiana Rustiaca with some other variety) During the visit of my parents, their neighbor told me that he is buying tobacco from one granny. It wasn’t as good as mapacho, but still it was ok. So I ordered more and found that almost all my second order was mold… After, I did a lot of search on the web and found 2 Russian sites that sells mahorka (Such a name get Nicotiana Rustica tobacco from Soviet time, it was well spread among the Soviet Union in the past, a lot of people smoke it) I call one site – they told me that they are selling only within Russia. Then I called another site – they answered that they will try to find out if there some possibility to sent by the government or private post services. After some time I receive the call that no one service could make such an offer, however they say that it could be possible to send via train conductor and they did it. I receive my package but the quality of tobacco was really bad, the tobacco was green and it was chopped with stems. Also I had a stitch in the left side of my collar bone (it became indedicator of some chemicals in tobacco or if it is mold)
I missed a lot Nicotiana Rustica, after my stock of this tobacco was empty I switched to another varieties of tobacco, but they could not replace me the Nicotiana Rustica. It would be great if I would able to get this tobacco somewhere. Maybe there is a possibly to order it in the leaf form for my country as Mr. Premise mentioned.

I tried to grow tobacco this year in the flat. But according to that I didn’t have enough time and I had to harvest it early, so plants weren’t nice. They were small, some of them bloomed early. I read in the web some people grow tobacco in the flat but with some specific lamps (some of them use ultraviolet lamps). I guess the taste and the quality would be different from the tobacco grown outside. And I have to read more about the lamps and to find out it is healthy way.

Davey72 said:
Fwiw i have more pig manure than i know what to do with. I was thinking of bagging it and selling it in the spring but anyone that wants to make the trip or maybe meetup somewhere is welcome to it. It is the best natural fertilizer out right up there with bat guano.
Perhaps a trade? If i bag it all up maybe we could trade for tobacco? With you Voyageur or anyone else interested. Or maybe even just seeds and growing tips.

Nice offer, thanks. There is plenty of manure available here so will need to beef up my clay/silt soils. I've some Hopi seeds, so can pass some of these along to you if you like.

Mr. Premise said:
I start the seeds on the equinox (easy to remember).

Also, I have tons of seeds for almost 30 varieties if anyone wants some. One plant can produce 300,000 seeds. The plants are huge but the seeds are tiny. Forget mustard seeds, the Jesus parable would work much better with tobacco seeds but they didn't have them in the Mediterranean back then.

I also have some instructions written out for how I do it.

Would be interested, Mr. Premise.

Hi Serg,

Can you tell me what your source for Peruvian Rustica tobacco was? I've been looking for a supplier myself to Canada, but haven't found one yet.

Also, to Canadians. No one knows how the shift in Ontario tobacco laws are going to effect the rest of us. If I order tobacco that comes through Ontario, will it still be refused, even though I'm not subject to Ontario border regulations in British Columbia? Maybe, who knows. So you might want to stock up.

voyageur said:
Davey72 said:
Fwiw i have more pig manure than i know what to do with. I was thinking of bagging it and selling it in the spring but anyone that wants to make the trip or maybe meetup somewhere is welcome to it. It is the best natural fertilizer out right up there with bat guano.
Perhaps a trade? If i bag it all up maybe we could trade for tobacco? With you Voyageur or anyone else interested. Or maybe even just seeds and growing tips.

Nice offer, thanks. There is plenty of manure available here so will need to beef up my clay/silt soils. I've some Hopi seeds, so can pass some of these along to you if you like.

Mr. Premise said:

Also, I have tons of seeds for almost 30 varieties if anyone wants some. One plant can produce 300,000 seeds. The plants are huge but the seeds are tiny. Forget mustard seeds, the Jesus parable would work much better with tobacco seeds but they didn't have them in the Mediterranean back then.

I sent you a PM, Voyageur.

Wu Wei Wu said:
Hi Serg,

Can you tell me what your source for Peruvian Rustica tobacco was? I've been looking for a supplier myself to Canada, but haven't found one yet.

Also, to Canadians. No one knows how the shift in Ontario tobacco laws are going to effect the rest of us. If I order tobacco that comes through Ontario, will it still be refused, even though I'm not subject to Ontario border regulations in British Columbia? Maybe, who knows. So you might want to stock up.
I bought some Peruvian Mapacho from this site: _https://www.heavenly-products.com It looks like they will ship to Canada, but I don't know what the duties would be. It might be worth a try. You can always refuse the package if Canadian customs tries to charge too much. I did a search for sites that ship from Canada and I found this one:
_http://www.botanicalspirit.com/canada-warehouse but they're currently out of stock of Mapacho (a lot of that going around, it must be getting popular).

Mr. Premise said:
voyageur said:
Davey72 said:

Mr. Premise said:

I sent you a PM, Voyageur.
I would definately be interested in some seeds. Perhaps if i can grow enough i can help others as well. I understand they are difficult to start but will grow readily once they are. I am curious what the difference between rustico and mapacho types would be?

Mr. Premise said:
Wu Wei Wu said:
Hi Serg,

I bought some Peruvian Mapacho from this site: _https://www.heavenly-products.com It looks like they will ship to Canada, but I don't know what the duties would be. It might be worth a try. You can always refuse the package if Canadian customs tries to charge too much. I did a search for sites that ship from Canada and I found this one:
_http://www.botanicalspirit.com/canada-warehouse but they're currently out of stock of Mapacho (a lot of that going around, it must be getting popular).

Thanks, hopefully I'll have some luck with this.

Davey, Mapacho is Rustica but it is cured in a unique way because you can't hang leaves in a shed in the Amazon without them rotting. So from what I've read, they boil the leaves until the juices reduce to a syrup and then dry the goopy leaves. I think they also put some fruit juice in the boiling water because it definitely has a fruity smell. So compared to Rustica that you grow, the leaves are darker with the taste a bit more cigar like and somewhat harsher. Personally I prefer homegrown suncured Rustica to Mapacho. But they both have the distinctive floral Rustica flavor but the homegrown is much lighter and smoother.

And anyone who wants seeds and growing instructions can PM me with an email address and a mailing address. I'll email the instructions and mail the seeds.

A few years ago I came across a neat little booklet written in 1960 that has some useful info - very short and quick to read:

http://www.uktobaccoseeds.co.uk/uploads/8/6/5/7/8657512/tobacco_without_tears.pdf

Mr. Premise said:
And anyone who wants seeds and growing instructions can PM me with an email address and a mailing address. I'll email the instructions and mail the seeds.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was wondering, Mr. Premise, what tobacco was it that I had a bit of the last time I was over? It was very smooth.

Wu Wei Wu said:
Hi Serg,

Hi Wu Wei Wu, sorry for late reply, just saw your post.
Here is that site _http://kiwiboancaya.net/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=rustica&category_id=0

I ordered 5kg at once because it was cheaper according to the shipping price (At that time I payed 150$ fo 5kg of mapacho and 154$ for shipping to Ukraine)

Can anyone recommend the best way for storing tobacco. I am lucky as I can get it by the kilo so wish to stock up slowly. I have tried storing in the fridge in black plastic bags also in a cupboard. The constituents seem to change though and it drops all over the place when smoking, plus feels a bit rougher to smoke.

Also is there a shelf-life for seeds? I have some I ordered over 4 years ago and wonder whether they would still be okay to plant sometime. I hope to grow them on my balcony here.

Do we have to use pipe tobacco in pipes, as I was thinking of buying a couple too, maybe I cannot get filters/papers easily so prefer to not be taking in the extra poisons from them anyway (I tried the organic papers but found my fingers got badly stained with nicotine which never happened before). I was hoping I could smoke my same tobacco using a pipe instead.
thanks.

Nienna said:
Mr. Premise said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was wondering, Mr. Premise, what tobacco was it that I had a bit of the last time I was over? It was very smooth.
Lizard Tail Orinoco. Weird name, huh? It's classed as a "primitive" which means it wasn't bred and the name Orinoco (from Venezuela) means it may be the original type that was brought to Virginia in the 1600s and was the ancestor of the Virginia types. It tastes pretty good by itself without blending, but since it wasn't bred to improve yields, the yield was pretty low when I grew it.

Back
Top Bottom