Home Grown Tobacco

Chickens. What a great idea. Learning lesson for next year. Not sure how long the chickens would last where the tobacco is planted, so i cant even borrow a couple. Even though i did try one plant with the diotemaceous earth i was thinking, "why would it work?" it is not like they take the stuff back to their colony. There are millions of them.

Just filling in some of the details of how the growing season went this year. To start with, I was a little more organized this year and had a good crop of seedlings to start off the season; with special thanks going out to a form member for their help. Of the germination process, some varieties did not do so well and yet others did very well.

Planted in three different gardens – each approximately five and ten meters from each other orientated as a triangular. Each had similar growing mediums, and sunlight was more present in one garden than the other two, which had more early morning and evening light diffusion.

Planting took place in later March (24th) while it was hot. It rained just after and then from May through July it was on average very hot and it was without rain. During this period, the tobacco plants had only incremental growth and some were even lost. By the first week of July the plants started taking off, at least in one garden and remained stunted in the other two. By mid August (and it had cooled considerably, including rains coming in) the tobacco was a good six plus feet or near two meters in height in the one garden, and not even worth mentioning in the second garden, and in the third garden some are now near a meter in height.

The last couple of nights have seen very close frost levels - within a few degrees Celsius of 0, so I've been keeping a close eye on this. Tomorrow night the tobacco may be on the frost tipping point, so the tobacco may get harvested.

I’ve an outside drying rack and am working on an inside rack (non heated space), so may have to shift the crop in and out to cure, keeping the crop out of the rain and frost while still taking advantage of the suns heat while it lasts.

With any luck, it should work out.

As an update:

voyageur said:
Tomorrow night the tobacco may be on the frost tipping point, so the tobacco may get harvested.

Indeed, and that was the case - or so said the high tech weather reports. The conditions were right, it was in the air, a clearing cool sky, a predominant north airflow that heavy with dew etc. As such, the crop was harvested and laid out and covered for the night. By the am, it became apparent that no frost had happened - a non event. No matter, it was coming sooner than later, so started preparing the leaves for drying.

As it happens, since that night, there has only been a tendril of frost along with a few more warnings. As such, did the dance of moving the leaves off the racks and into the shop once and covering them at other times. Slowly, the leaves are curing in the air which has been high in RH in the evenings and dryer in the day, so a good average. I'm hoping to get another one or two weeks of outdoor curing before the weather drives it indoors.

Good to hear of your success Voyageur. My tobacco took a heavy hit when the pigs got at it. We also had first frost about a month ago but the tobacco didnt seem to mind. We have had frost a few times since as well. unf. I have some that is already cured and it turned out pretty good. It tastes like american cigarettes. Is this because it is mixed together? Where does the canadian taste come from? Unfortunately i dont have anywhere very warm to cure the rest right now. I plan on pulling up the rest today.

My results with tobacco this year, and notes about the process:

I tried those varieties for the first year (moreless 60 plants) :

African Red
Alata Grandiflora (for flowers only)
Bamboo Shoot
Banana Leaf
Bosikappal
Bursa
Catterton
Kentucky Burley 15
Monte Calme Yellow
Mountain Pima
Orinoco White Stem
Papante
Prilep
Silk Leaf
Virginia Bright Leaf
Yellow Mammoth
Yellow Twist Bud

All were bought on the kokopelli website, and they have 2 or 3 times more varieties, so I had to choose.

I began with plastic bottles in february : 1/3 clay balls + 1/3 organic seed compost
first, the bottle is filled with clay balls and water, and on top of that the seed compost is added.
Then the only thing to do is put some seeds and close the bottle with tape, and close the cap.
When the seeds are growing, the cap is opened, and then the bottle is opened too.

ac.jpg

The bottles need to be in full sun at the window. Then the seeds will grow slowly first:

ar.jpg

I put too much seeds but I could also choose the healthier plants everytime.
When they are too tight together, they are transplanted in black plastic cups to grow more.
It's important to transplant them otherwise they are too weak and eaten by snails. In the cups, they can adapt.

az.jpg

When the plants are big enough, you can plant them :

av.jpg

ay.jpg

note : the plants will not grow well if they are next to trees and roots.
The roots are taking all the water and nutriments. I lost maybe 10 plants because of that.

The summer was quite hot and the plants grew well with very little water.
The only problem was some caterpillars in may-june.

That was in early september :

1.jpg

2.jpg

The flowers have to be removed, but then you have suckers that also have to be removed (i forgot to do that, that's why there's a lot of stalks).

tyt.jpg

The first leaves that can be harvested are the leaves drying up directly on the plant near the soil. They are called "mud lugs" or "sand lugs" and are less strong in taste then the other leaves, but they are ok. Because of the sun, they are already dry when you pick them. I had 125g of shredded mud lugs in the end.

When the first big leaves begin to turn yellow, they can be hung on a wire. I hung them in pairs with a small elastic.
Often insects and twigs will stay glued on the leaves. They will mostly fall when the leaf dries up.

tout.jpg

The first time I did that, I had leaves drying green, and it's not good, the air was not moist enough.
The second time, I hung the leaves close enough to keep the humidity. That worked pretty well.

hh.jpg

mcgreen.jpg

But if the leaves are too close, then mold develops, here's an example with oriental varities (more difficult to dry) :

e.jpg

The end product :

au.jpg

Each plant gives around 45g of tobacco, i think.
It's surprising that such a big plant gives only a bit more than one package!
So I will have around 70 packages of 30g, that's enough for one year I hope.

After the drying process, I spray water on the leaves to put them back in case, so they can be flatten up and also shredded more easily (or stockpiled in cardboards).

The yellow twist bud is a variety which ages fast and is already smokable. It's like pueblo or fairgreen.
Other varities age fast, but normally you have to wait 6 months or more if you don't have a "kiln" (that can be built by yourself : _http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/1798-Dr-Bob-s-multi-purpose-curing-chamber-in-planning).
Another thing to do is "toasting" the tobacco in the oven for +/- 15 min at 200 degrees.

The shredder is very fragile, I broke it. I have to buy another one, maybe bigger.

( _http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Tabletop-Fine-Cut-Tobacco-Pipe-Cigar-Hookah-Herb-Cutter-Grinder-Shredder-/262714634661?hash=item3d2b0331a5:g:AKUAAOSwWTRWuOQ3 )

The shredder has to be of 0,8 mm, otherwise you will not have rolling tobacco. Bigger than 0,8mm would be for pipes.

A lot of info are available on this forum: _http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com
This is also a very good introduction : _http://www.northwoodseeds.com/tips.htm

Still now in mid-november, the plants are growing, I will soon make the final harvest :

jjj.jpg

fffh.jpg

Next year I think I will choose other varities to see the difference. It's not difficult to grow tobacco. The longest thing to do is the bottles and transplantations in cups, that can take a few days. Hunging the leaves and harvesting can take some time, but it's worth the time if in the end it gives one year of free tobacco.

Nice pictures. I wish I had some land to grow tobacco.

After quitting cigs about 15 yrs ago, I started smoking Cuban cigars. Within the last couple of years the taxes were making them prohibitively expensive so I looked into buying the tobacco leaves and rolling my own. I buy mostly from Whole Leaf Tobacco, and can roll excellent cigars from Cuban seed tobacco from Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, among others. Importing the whole tobacco leaves is tax and duty free, so far, into Canada. So I can roll them for maybe 1/10th the cost. Recently I bought some American tobacco leaves to roll some cigarettes, and I have found them to be very weak. I guess that is from going from cigar tobacco to cigarette. And I did find it funny getting used to inhaling again. Surprised I don't 'feel anything' from smoking the cigs. But I still have lots of the cig tobacco, so I will see if I warm up to the cigs again.

Mr. Premise said:
Great job, jsf! Welcome to the tobacco growing brother(and sister)hood!

Wow, yes that's a super job of growing and curing, jsf! Thanks for sharing.

jsf said:
Still now in mid-november, the plants are growing, I will soon make the final harvest :

I'm feeling climate envy from the snowy North. :)

Thanks for the "walk-through", jfs. I still haven't started the tobacco growing project. Hopefully next year will be the year to finally give it a try.

First batch of all varieties :

zez.jpg

On this topic I saw Virginia Bright Leaf, Burley (TN90, TN86, or Kelly Burley), Nicotiana Rustica (mapacho) and Lizard Tail Orinoco.
What are your favorite varieties and blends ? Thanks

Last harvest yesterday:

3p.jpg

2p.jpg

1p.jpg

Monte calm yellow is the more productive variety. More than any other here.

The leaves are little, they come mainly from the top of the plants and from suckers.

Looks like it is close to time to look into growing my own tobacco. Just saw this on Sott - 'How the new FDA policy to take nicotine out of cigarettes will fuel terrorism' - https://www.sott.net/article/380826-How-the-new-FDA-policy-to-take-nicotine-out-of-cigarettes-will-fuel-terrorism

First I heard of the FDA moving to mandate lowering nicotine in cigarettes in the US. To say the least I'm not happy. Figure the best thing for the energy created from this is to do something positive with it in terms of starting to learning about growing my own tobacco.

Good to hear of your success Voyageur. My tobacco took a heavy hit when the pigs got at it. We also had first frost about a month ago but the tobacco didnt seem to mind. We have had frost a few times since as well. unf. I have some that is already cured and it turned out pretty good. It tastes like american cigarettes. Is this because it is mixed together? Where does the canadian taste come from? Unfortunately i dont have anywhere very warm to cure the rest right now. I plan on pulling up the rest today.

Hey Davy, I am looking into getting some pigs in the near future. I've helped raise two in the past - from small puppy-sized rascals to 250 lb hogs. So I have only a small amount of experience to draw on for raising pigs. If I may ask - I am thinking to allot 1 acre for raising pork, what advice would you give?

Hey Davy, I am looking into getting some pigs in the near future. I've helped raise two in the past - from small puppy-sized rascals to 250 lb hogs. So I have only a small amount of experience to draw on for raising pigs. If I may ask - I am thinking to allot 1 acre for raising pork, what advice would you give?

Hey iamthatis, just to say that Davey hasn't posted since 2016 and last logged on in 2018 - you can see this info by going to their profile page - so it's possible that Davey won't reply, but maybe others who see your post will be able to help :-)

Back
Top Bottom