A Paleo Diet children's book - an experiment in group creativity

Hi NewOrleans,

Due to computer problems I've been away from the forum for a little while and I'm now catching up with some older topics I had collected beforehand, like this one for instance. I haven't made any contribution to it yet, but I read it with interest and pleasure while it was unfolding and I'm really amazed to discover it now has kind of stalled for no apparent reason. Re-reading all of it in one go made me fully realize again what a valuable project this would be, if finished. I mean, it's such a great idea and you were going in the right direction with it, IMHO. Therefore, if I'm not too intrusive or otherwise unknowingly overstepping any boundaries I kindly would like to ask you for an update on it. This topic never stalled for so long a time previously...

I already found one post which might give some sort of an explanation:
NewOrleans said:
[...]
For the time being, I'm fiercely looking for paying assignments to keep my little boat afloat - wish me luck - but in those moments when I have free time I am sketching Paleo.
Over the weekend I started some scribbles to just "block out" the storyline. Nothing presentable to show quite yet. I've put little Polly in shorts and not a plaid skirt. I don't know any kids who wear dresses for playtime- what was I thinking? 1952?. Also switching from dinosaurs to whooly mammoths and doing a little anthropological research to know more about the period. "The Flintstones" cartoon is wrong research, LOL
I appreciate all the work you and everyone have put into the ideas. This will be so cool!
May the Universe send me the gift of work and inspiration to keep me going.

I would hate it to see this project come to naught for any of the wrong reasons, like lack of funds or something like that. It would be such an opportunity wasted, I think.

I would hate it even more when nothing comes of it because nobody dared to ask you whether you are still working on it or not, and if you need more input of any kind whatsoever.

I would hate it the most when I had stood idly by while there still might be a window of opportunity available to nudge this project forward again a little, or to fully re-float it with proper encouragement.

I went to your website to look for clues on this and found none. For the same reason I also accessed your forum profile to have a look at your latest entries and found out you haven't been that prolific lately. I do hope all is well and it's just the holidays or something like that interfering...

I sincerely hope I'm completely mistaken in my worries but I and probably all the other contributors I presume, really would like to have some update about whether you're still working on this project -- if you don't mind and it's not too bothersome to tell.

Thanks for reading.

Yeah, hoping all is right with NewOrleans. I am familiar with moving on when getting stuck or fed up with a project, only happens on solo ones though. As noted on the last the page the story has some problems, perhaps these are what is getting this one stuck.

As was noted by Tigersoap the story reads a bit like a manual, perhaps this is due to questions are answered right away? There may not be much room for the engaging child to spike curiosity, amazement and suspense of adventure? In my understanding it doesn't have to be packed with action or mystery but perhaps it could be setup so that there is time (a page prior) to develop questions internally which could be given not necessarily by direct answers but be shown through actions or depictions. I like that facts are presented but perhaps they need particular illustrations.

There is of course the issue that illustrations take time to do, so perhaps we could work on a framing the overarching story before making any more detailed drawings (storyboard thumbnails instead perhaps). I don't have any ideas atm other than maybe ending the story in polly's kitchen where Polly could recount some of her adventures (which we hear about for the first time) and her dad could explain the good common sense of it in simple terms over a paleo dinner (having Polly's dad as the scientific explainer instead of paleo dad do the dot connecting).

Hi NewOrleans..
Your Idea is excellent and your super design too... :thup:
I'm late, not very actif in the forum due to my poor english, but agree really with the nesecity of this kind of work too..
To write for the small one is really a job, we have a word in the latin languages which I can't translate in english.. we said one need "pedagogia" that's mean "the science (art)of education" and this is really a job, and definitely not easy.
To make a perfect one, we need "patience" ;) (and much more) and I really know that.. we have 4 children (between 1 and 11years old and so, the nesecity of this kind of work)
I hope this project will continue, the energy that you had put there was enormous, I can only encourage you to continu
I'm ready to find the time for translation the texts in french,spanisch or italian ..
Obviously is difficult to approach the topic of the diet (on 12 pages ) especially for children without that not making manual..
but we can!:rockon:

if I can to make some more suggestions..
thinking about..
- make a little serie of small books of 12 pages, perhaps just 7 ;) approaching the topic principal and paramount a little more in detail..
- maybe in the end of each one, to turn over to the house , and then after having to summarized the experience , to go back there (next chapiter) with new questions ( propaganda, like .. but we need sugar,no fat etc.. )
- to approach the wandering live (not sedentary, not private property)
- to approach the paleo art, (using the flours to stick, naturals tools)
- maybe not use our classical name, but more like the N.A.indians, more original,nice and fun with one same sens in any languages

anyway I hope that continu and everything is comprehensible

greetings

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I have not given up on this. I've just been quiet more than usual. Yes, some difficulties, I'd rather not go into details right now. I'm working at a better focus for 2013.

This project stopped because I am not a writer but an artist, an illustrator. I really tried to get through this by just doing it. It takes a different skill to write well, especially for children. Although I have completely finished three children's books (all but one unpublished) I was hoping for momentum and enthusiasm to carry this one through to completion. The experiment was open imput into content and a willingness to improve it as I went along. Unfortunately it just didn't make my writing any better :) That's the objective truth of it. There have been times - like on New Years Day - that I dusted off the artwork and tried to make a fresh start writing a complete story. I struggled to write something new, but it just didn't get far. But I didn't quit. The artwork hovers around my studio all the time waiting for some inspiration.

Tigersoap was right. And I didn't consider that as discouragement, but a reasonable opinion. Everyone has been very kind, encouraging and considerate. As a professional illustrator I have to make client changes ALL the time, so criticism is never a derailment but an opportunity to retool something to make it better. This book needs a writer. I can draw illustrations "until the cows come home" as the expression goes, but I don't have the talent for writing this well.

With this project, I don't want to give up, although it's been months since I posted or added anything. Yes, it does need a spark of energy to continue.

One bright note lately is that I completed a book cover design for a very, VERY brilliant writer. Yeaaaaaaa! In due time, you'll see it.

NewOrleans said:
...Yes, some difficulties, I'd rather not go into details right now...
Just so you know, we're pretty good at listening so if you ever decide to share, we're here for more than 'just' feedback on projects! :)

I love this! This book its a wonderful idea and its looking great! If you need an advise i think it would be good if you put a little less text on some pages because a child tends to lose focus of the content, when there is a lot of text involved with graphics! But overall it looks very nice! :)

This project stopped because I am not a writer but an artist, an illustrator.
[...]
This book needs a writer. I can draw illustrations "until the cows come home" as the expression goes, but I don't have the talent for writing this well.
[...]
Yes, it does need a spark of energy to continue.

Thank you for giving us an update about being in a pretty predicament, NewOrleans. I think the diagnosis is clear and concise. I just wish the remedy would be similar...

Wish you all the best and feel ashamed I cannot be of any real service in this one. :-[

Dear Palinurus, there's no apology necessary. It's my limitations, not anyone else's. I've known of some books that develop easily by just DOING IT. This seems to not be one of them. I'm certainly not giving up. In my art I have more rejects than successes sometimes, but that's what Work is all about. I am hopeful that it will find a way.

... so did this ever get finished? i am just curious ... indeed was quiet interesting to read this experiment to create the book through the forum consultation ... as many things on this forum, it is quite interesting how through looooong conversations about certain topics many personal colors pop up, that are actually very effectively driving the focus from the topic away from the conversation ;) ... even if they are still looking like they are tickling the subject ... any way would like to know if this ever was published?

Yes I agree. If the project has stalled for lack of a writer I would be happy to offer help on that front and to put some time into it if useful.

To the best of my knowledge this project was neither finished nor publicized. :(

I checked the profile of NewOrleans and found that his latest post was at the end of July 2014. In the whole of 2014 there were only three.

This was his last creative entry: Gurdjieff Quote

Would any of you want to do serious writing for this project, then you can signal the mods with a request to send a separate email notification to NewOrleans about the specifics of your offer and/or the bumping of this topic, since I doubt that NewOrleans would receive automatic notification about the revival of this thread or --if indeed-- that he would read it. Don't know why, just a hunch. :rolleyes:

That's disappointing to hear Palinurus but thanks for the update. I hope NewOrleans is ok. Anyhow, please excuse my ignorance but how exactly do I signal the mods to do this (having never done such before)? :)

Back
Top Bottom