finding partners...

I would like to add my 2 cents.

I was apart of the pick up/ seduction community for years. I have spent a lot of money on trying to understand how to meet women. How to have relationships.

To be honest, i have come full circle. My personal views on meeting someone. Its no matter where i am in my life. I find when I'm around feminine energy it re charges me. its like I'm getting a fix except its more than that. Its getting something I crave and desire.

Now, my aim isn't to pick women up or to try hard to start relationships. All i want to do is share space with a beautiful lady who radiates the feminine qualities that i desire. No more, no less. Just being around that energy fulfills that part of who I am and makes me drive on.

I don't have any expectations when it comes to women or the future. All I need to remember is every time Im around feminine energy all i need to do is enjoy it. Simple, i feel the rest will fall into place. If people seem to think the fact their beliefs are different will have an impact. Well i just think that means your not confident in your beliefs. Im sure a lot of people don't want a relationship with someone who isn't compatible so most break-up etc. Its a good thing. Sure they suck but they are a good thing.

wand3rer said:
I find when I'm around feminine energy it re charges me. its like I'm getting a fix except its more than that. Its getting something I crave and desire.
I wonder if you are feeding on them?

Maybe wand3rer could describe in more detail what he means by "enjoying feminine energy". I do think it's possible to be around people and appreciate their being without it being a feeding situation. It's probably a rare situation though, and requires a lot of self-awareness.

i wouldn't describe it as feeding. Im just enjoying their radiance for what it is. But it does charge me up in a way. To say that it doesn't would be a lie. I think its just being around someone who is essentially someone I find attractive both in who they are and as a female is nourishing to my soul. Its kinda like there's no place I would rather be. I think its a positive thing to enjoy something like that.

wand3rer said:
i wouldn't describe it as feeding. Im just enjoying their radiance for what it is. But it does charge me up in a way. To say that it doesn't would be a lie. I think its just being around someone who is essentially someone I find attractive both in who they are and as a female is nourishing to my soul. Its kinda like there's no place I would rather be. I think its a positive thing to enjoy something like that.
Well that's pretty much feeding, then. Look at the way you described it: "nourishing". And the emphasis on physical attractiveness is a giveaway, too. But this happens ifor most of us most social interactions, so the question is are you giving enough back in return, so you don't drain the other person. And it may provide a good opportunity for self-observation and work on stopping lying to oneself.

Will definitely observe myself from here on in during interactions and when I'm surrounded by others! :)

Pretty good points, great honesty shared here.

To me finding a partner is not much of a problem, it is about me being tolerant.

Sex was a deal with me before, but right now, and I don't know if this is the result of meditation or what. I just don't care, is all bias and nonsense. Sometimes I may feel that a woman is very good looking and maybe one day I may want a partner for sex but at the end of the day I just don't give a F***.

Of all the things i've learned, seen and experience sex is like one of the most irrelevant aspect of life.

But having a relationship with someone that is not hard. I mean is not like all people are secondary psychopaths, or ponerized people to be feared, all you need is strategic enclosure. Is like being a superhero. You find a partner with some common sense and capable of feeling empathy, and master yourself so you hold the work and all of that to you. If an action is a result of the work, then just do it or discuss it, if the other person may agree or not that may depend on how much respect each other has for the other. If there are problems, then just stop the relationship and move on.

No offense to you guys, but the idea of I can't take a relationship because I am too "weirdo" seems to me as a cheap excuse for not trying out and getting out of the comfort zone. At the end, the work is to make of you a top notch functional person, if you put attention to its laws and principles, they are to make you a very attractive person at least in a social way, even successful business person. The work is to be a master of yourself. Interest on esoteric knowledge can be independent of all of that.

Prometeo said:

To me finding a partner is not much of a problem, it is about me being tolerant.

Sex was a deal with me before, but right now, and I don't know if this is the result of meditation or what. I just don't care, is all bias and nonsense. Sometimes I may feel that a woman is very good looking and maybe one day I may want a partner for sex but at the end of the day I just don't give a F***.

Of all the things i've learned, seen and experience sex is like one of the most irrelevant aspect of life.

But having a relationship with someone that is not hard. I mean is not like all people are secondary psychopaths, or ponerized people to be feared, all you need is strategic enclosure. Is like being a superhero. You find a partner with some common sense and capable of feeling empathy, and master yourself so you hold the work and all of that to you. If an action is a result of the work, then just do it or discuss it, if the other person may agree or not that may depend on how much respect each other has for the other. If there are problems, then just stop the relationship and move on.

No offense to you guys, but the idea of I can't take a relationship because I am too "weirdo" seems to me as a cheap excuse for not trying out and getting out of the comfort zone. At the end, the work is to make of you a top notch functional person, if you put attention to its laws and principles, they are to make you a very attractive person at least in a social way, even successful business person. The work is to be a master of yourself. Interest on esoteric knowledge can be independent of all of that.

Excellent post Prometeo. You said everything that I would say if I was in the singles situation. I'm not single so I'm not sure how much my opinions are worth here ( married 17 yrs) but I've been following this thread with some interest.

Establishing or even trying to establish a relationship complements the work we do here on the forum nicely I think. You will not gain anything by not putting yourself out there. Protecting yourself and staying safe out of fear certainly is easier but going out to meet new people, learning what it takes to establish or keep a relationship is a huge opportunity to accelerate personal growth. Yes, it is definitely much riskier and you can expect to learn many painful lessons but the wisdom and knowledge that comes with them will be so worth it. If "You find a partner with some common sense and capable of feeling empathy, and master yourself so you hold the work and all of that to you" like Prometeo wisely suggests, then why not? There is so much to be gained! You will always have the forum as a guide and a resource when those big lessons begin to appear.

One other thought that occurred to me is that there is an incredible lack of role modeling of successful, healthy, long term relationships or marriages that are available to be learned from. There is only one high functioning, real partnership that I know of and that is Laura and Ark- even that is anecdotal for me! So many people are injured from their childhoods, acting poorly because of unresolved issues etc., that healthy relationships have become so rare that they seem completely non existent!

I noticed this lack of role modeling for myself along time ago as a newlywed at a point when I really could have used it- mother in law had just died from lung cancer, I'd had my first baby that was a year old at the time, my husband was in the middle of defending his PhD and we were planning to move to the US for a post-Doc appointment all in the space of one month :shock:. After my partner and I muddled through it as best we could, I realized the strain placed on both of us could have been alleviated somewhat if we'd had someone to give us some wisdom, proper support and some relationship advice. But there was no one. I resolved then, that if I had no mentors for myself to guide me through this relationship process, than I would at least make it my goal to be that role model for my kids, nephews and nieces by working hard on myself through the relationship and having a partner do the same. We continue to do this as best we can- I guess time will tell how it works out...

Prometeo said:

Very interesting to read this, because I feel my view of how to approach this is diametrically opposed to what you wrote.

The way I read what you wrote is that esoteric knowledge and the work is independent of your life in general. From my point of view, one of the fundamental approaches to the work is the outmost cessation of activity that is not necessary for it. The work does not make you more attractive, or a more successful business person, it might give you the flexibility to do so when the situation demands it because you no longer carry around all of your fake I`s and fake personality. But reaching that point demands everything, so I cannot really see the reason for adding extra baggage in the form of a relationship, especially so in saying that its just to do it to get out of your comfort zone.

Seeking someone to be with just for the sake of feeling better, or just doing it because it won`t hurt your work, but actually help you, sounds like a snare to me.

I cannot really comment on those already in a relationship, but in my view, if you are young, in this western age, where the very concept of love has been so distorted and ponerized, the probability that you have escaped the negative impact it has had on you is low, including that you will find someone suitable on your own. If approaching a relationship, might it be best to sit down and raise some questions that need to be answered sincerely? Like:
• Will this really help me or am I searching for others to project my fear or weaknesses at?
• Is it necessary for the work? Will it give me shocks that I cannot find elsewhere?

The point being that it is probably best not to jump into something like that without careful consideration, because it might really hurt and trap you. I`m all for getting out of your comfort zone to practice observation and self-remembering, but you can do that elsewhere without the severe long-term consequences that might follow if you jump into something like this to soon imho.

Man oh man, I tell you what... This whole finding partners thing has brought up a revelation to me and that is despite having a somewhat cheerful exterior, I have dangerously low self esteem and self worth... it's ridiculous how such a feeling of worthlessness can be buried and hidden so deeply underneath a veneer of optimism and joyfulness. The illness is chronic.

Torstone said:
Prometeo said:

Very interesting to read this, because I feel my view of how to approach this is diametrically opposed to what you wrote.

The way I read what you wrote is that esoteric knowledge and the work is independent of your life in general. From my point of view, one of the fundamental approaches to the work is the outmost cessation of activity that is not necessary for it. The work does not make you more attractive, or a more successful business person, it might give you the flexibility to do so when the situation demands it because you no longer carry around all of your fake I`s and fake personality. But reaching that point demands everything, so I cannot really see the reason for adding extra baggage in the form of a relationship, especially so in saying that its just to do it to get out of your comfort zone.

Seeking someone to be with just for the sake of feeling better, or just doing it because it won`t hurt your work, but actually help you, sounds like a snare to me.

I cannot really comment on those already in a relationship, but in my view, if you are young, in this western age, where the very concept of love has been so distorted and ponerized, the probability that you have escaped the negative impact it has had on you is low, including that you will find someone suitable on your own. If approaching a relationship, might it be best to sit down and raise some questions that need to be answered sincerely? Like:
• Will this really help me or am I searching for others to project my fear or weaknesses at?
• Is it necessary for the work? Will it give me shocks that I cannot find elsewhere?

The point being that it is probably best not to jump into something like that without careful consideration, because it might really hurt and trap you. I`m all for getting out of your comfort zone to practice observation and self-remembering, but you can do that elsewhere without the severe long-term consequences that might follow if you jump into something like this to soon imho.

Maybe you are both right?

I personally see esotericism as a principle that helps you guide your life. I don't see it only as a sense of knowledge that you've gathered but something that is in you, in how you view the world. Something natural as compared to put on. It's this that leads you to seek answers and knowledge that can then increase its force within you.

In the context of the work as taught by G, I think you have to be part of everyday life to reap the rewards. I think it's the everyday life that provides the energy to the flame, the necessary friction, the struggle. I picture someone who has mastered the work, reached work nirvana if you can call it that way, as someone who has mastered their personality and so can navigate the world at will through their knowledge and mastery, not only the world in front of our eyes but the world materialism denies. I think though ultimately what it is for us mere mortals is just the constant struggle for something better as it's impossible to reach some fictitious nirvana. Nonetheless, I think if you aren't hurting people like pathologicals and psychopaths do, then you can 'work' in whatever way you choose as their isn't only 1 road to the goal, whatever that is.

If life is anything, it is variety and endless choice and permutations, all expressing the same thing in many different ways. There is a bit of word salad for you.

luke wilson said:
Torstone said:
Prometeo said:

Maybe you are both right?

I personally see esotericism as a principle that helps you guide your life. I don't see it only as a sense of knowledge that you've gathered but something that is in you, in how you view the world. Something natural as compared to put on. It's this that leads you to seek answers and knowledge that can then increase its force within you.

In the context of the work as taught by G, I think you have to be part of everyday life to reap the rewards. I think it's the everyday life that provides the energy to the flame, the necessary friction, the struggle. I picture someone who has mastered the work, reached work nirvana if you can call it that way, as someone who has mastered their personality and so can navigate the world at will through their knowledge and mastery, not only the world in front of our eyes but the world materialism denies. I think though ultimately what it is for us mere mortals is just the constant struggle for something better as it's impossible to reach some fictitious nirvana. Nonetheless, I think if you aren't hurting people like pathologicals and psychopaths do, then you can 'work' in whatever way you choose as their isn't only 1 road to the goal, whatever that is.

If life is anything, it is variety and endless choice and permutations, all expressing the same thing in many different ways. There is a bit of word salad for you.
Life is religion :)

luke wilson said:
Man oh man, I tell you what... This whole finding partners thing has brought up a revelation to me and that is despite having a somewhat cheerful exterior, I have dangerously low self esteem and self worth... it's ridiculous how such a feeling of worthlessness can be buried and hidden so deeply underneath a veneer of optimism and joyfulness. The illness is chronic.

Ditto that Luke, but once you've been aware of it for some time things can start to change if you accept the emotions as they are and try and untangle the narratives that have been built around it.

Take the subject of finding a partner. It is biological drive that is totally coloured by social context and environmental/psychological/emotional factors. Biopsychosocial as Gabor Mate puts it, his work on addiction and learning about healthy parenting has actually given more of a perspective on this issue.

From the biological side the need for companionship, social connection etc isn't ever going to go away. The social context of what is considered normal and healthy in relationships (following urges/chemicals/needs without thought - reacting as mechanical machines) is so far from what a healthy relationship looks like it's actually hard to even know what that looks like! I realized a year or so ago that I didn't even know what love was.

So it's like being told the only food you can eat is gluten - and as far as you can see there is no other food available. Why would anyone even want to eat anything but gluten given the whole world eats it automatically? When your biology/psychology (especially if we've never been taught how to meet our own needs in healthy ways) hits that kind of social narrative it's no wonder it's depressing/painful! And it's no wonder everyone makes up all sorts of narratives to justify just a small piece of gluten. Anything is better than the pain of none!

When you are stuck between a rock and a hard place - your biology and social pressure it can seem like an impossible situation. You can sink into dispair or spin narratives to escape that. Act mechanically out of desperation or 'normalcy' like everyone else.

Or.....or you can bare the pain with an aim in mind. When you step into a cold shower you can do exactly the same - sink into dispair (which makes it hurt so much more, and will accelerate hypothermia/fatigue/depression) or you can escape via narratives about how you don't need to be there etc and get out early. Or you can relax into it and get through it knowing that afterwards won't be so bad and that the aim is to suffer now so that you don't suffer later (i.e. Ebola etc).

Both or these run off a deeper Biopsychosocial system - that of pain and perception of pain. Pain is totally reliant on your emotional/psychological/biological systems, as well as memory! If you've had a bad nights sleep, are dehydrated, angry, depressed, have a history of emotionally painful experiences involving cold water or are running negative narratives cold showers hurt way more than if you aren't in any of those modes.
Even if the water is the same temperature, you're experience of it changes!

Believing that you can't handle pain will make your experience of pain much more unbarable.

So like the cold showers, what is our aim in finding a relationship? What are our motives?

One useful thing to hold next to the reality of situations like this is that of hope. Hope is faith that there is a solution you cannot see! Because if you believe there is NO solution you're choice is dispair or narratives/escape (or both).

Given how far we are away from knowing what a healthy relationship looks like, hope is like trying to explain to people trapped at sea their entire lives that just over the horizon is land (think of the film Water World). It is mythical and imaginary, and you can get caught up in imagining you have reached dry land in order to escape the pain of the situation or the pain of believing there is no land!
Same goes for relationships.

Laura and Ark found each other because of the Work they did on themselves, and because of how they shared that work with others.
If your aim is to have a relationship then I think that is based on pain avoidance and not consciously acknowledging the Biopsychosocial pressures involved. These sort of pressures freaking hurt! But if that's what drives you to seek relationships (to get rid of the pain/pressure) then it is self medication (i.e. Gabor Mates work on addiction) and mechanical.

There is nothing wrong with acting mechanically though. If that's what people want to do then that's great.
If you've had enough of mechanical suffering though, and want to change then it becomes conscious suffering like braving cold showers. At the very least it's important to be able to reach out and share if the pain gets too much, to ask for help and connect in healthy social ways. You don't go stand in a cold shower all day! :)

I figure the day I no longer need a relationship because of all the above Biopsychosocial reasons, is the day it'll happen. And hopefully with someone in the exact same position. And it will be a slow learning process because we'll both be aware of all of the mechanical ways in which you can have a relationship.

---

On what a healthy relationship/love looks like? Some of the better clues I've found come from watching things like the BBC's adaptations of Charles Dickens collective works (this tends to be a more healthy way to relieve the pressure of finding a partner).
The Odyssey thread (and book) holds clues. The Work holds clues. The above holds clues.

At the very least you need two ingredients. Knowing what doesn't work/is mechanical, and having hope/faith that the answer exists even if you can't see it - but not in a way that is used to escape the reality/pain of the situation, nor does it indulge/fixate on the pain of the situation (this is such a fine line it takes practice). This then creates friction for the Work.

Hopefully all of this is of some use - on a personal note I'm feeling somewhat cynical about relationships today so that may have coloured things :lol:

Everyone wants a relationship, and to be happy and have a 'normal' life. Problem is, we live in a world where doing that means letting the bad guys win. The fight isn't for everyone, but everyone can fight in their own way. :)

Wow, some very good insights in this thread.
I tried to answer your questions regarding my own realtionship Torstone. Altough, you said you cannot comment on those already in a relationship, I still found your questions good.

I am projecting my fear and weaknesses at my partner. I have been doing this for years.

Yes. I don't find the neccessary schocks for the work elsewhere.

Seems like a 50%-50%, if we're considering pros and cons for a relationship. I wonder if it is possible to come up with more basic criteria, to see more clearly if a relationship is helping or rather destructive. Exactly this lack of clarity is what I consider one of the biggest obstacles. I find it hard to consider the dynamics of my relationship objectively.

Solar said:
Yes. I don't find the neccessary schocks for the work elsewhere.

What about the news?? Very shocking stuff there!

The whole relationship dynamic is so rooted in our (by default unhealthy) attachment style, hormones, projections, and the resultant magical thinking that goodness, it sure does take a warrior to fight their way through it to find the Love for another individual!

For myself it's been a tough time learning to Love my own life, let alone anyone else's. At the age of 28 I can at least say that I'm not my father, by any means, and that's a result of the Love of Laura and the forum and all of the energy that's been invested into this work. If I don't first love the Truth with all of my heart, and devote myself to it, then how can I know the Truth of the woman I would love? I would not be capable of it, OSIT. How could I hear what she's saying, and see who she truly is, if one "I" decided "it" loved her and another "I" couldn't, and I had no control? Better to stick to developing my Truth seeking capacities and Being until she needs me, IMO.

wand3rer said:
Will definitely observe myself from here on in during interactions and when I'm surrounded by others! :)

Awesome! Learning is fun :)

Back
Top Bottom