Nepal Earthquakes

Re: Massive avalanche slams into Everest base camp following Nepal earthquake

It looks like half of Nepal is in ruins, and the people there are sleeping outside fearing another quake...just thought if one of these happens in the city where I live, what would I do.

The 7.8 magnitude quake struck an area between the capital, Kathmandu, and the city of Pokhara, the US Geological Survey said.
Tremors were felt across the region, with further loss of life in India, Bangladesh, Tibet and on Mount Everest. The government has declared a state of emergency in the affected areas.

7.8 Quake Strikes India as CERN Powers Up Beams - connection or coincidence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN6fDP9lHK8

Replies in the "comments" section:

* Why was a team sent to Kathmandu a week ago to study earthquakes?

* AMS Days at CERN 2015:
"Kathmandu– The world’s leading theoretical and experimental cosmic ray
physicists will be gathering at CERN from 15 to 17 April 2015, on the invitation
of Samuel Ting, recipient of the 1976 Nobel Prize for Physics and principal investigator
of the AMS experiment. "
http://revoscience.com/en/ams-days-at-cern/

MSM newspaper Deccan Herald reports 2015:
India aims for associate membership at CERN:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/275147/india-aims-associate-membership-cern.html

MSM newspaper The Guardian reports 2015:
"Large Hadron Collider proton beam reaches new record energy"
http://www.theguardian.com/science/life-and-physics/2015/apr/10/large-hadron-collider-proton-beam-reaches-new-record-energy-life-physics

* Many thanks BPEW, and how come 50 earthquake experts and scientists gathered in Nepal a week ago in preparedness for the quake, without warning the population?!!! the USGS looks complicit to me, they all conveniently left Katmandou just before the quake. A mysterious group of experts did the same thing in Christchurch, just before the quake hit in February 2011 (a fortnight before the Japanese quake and tsunami) http://news.yahoo.com/experts-gathered-nepal-week-ago-ready-earthquake-050003819.html

Another avalanche and mudslide in Nepal:

At least 250 villagers are feared missing in a new mudslide and avalanche days after a deadly 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit the South Asian country of Nepal.

On Tuesday, officials said the mudslide and avalanche took place in the isolated Ghodatabela village in rural regions near Gorkha district, about 100 kilometers northwest of the capital, Kathmandu, the epicenter of the April 25 earthquake.

“An avalanche occurred in the afternoon today in Ghodatabela, an area on the popular Langtang trekking route,” said the chief district officer, Uddav Prasad Bhattarai.

Reports indicate that there had been heavy snowfall near the village and the ground may have been loosened after the quake.

Many roads have been blocked as a result of landslides, making it difficult for rescue teams and aid deliveries.

From: http://presstv.com/Detail/2015/04/28/408520/Nepal-Mudslide-Earthquake-Avalanche-Everest-Gorkha-Langtang

A heartwarming, beautiful little story:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11441194

Nepal earthquake: Gisborne couple buys Nepalese man a plane ticket home

A Nepalese man living in Gisborne has been moved to tears by the generosity of a man who paid for him to fly to be with his homeless sisters.

Kathmandu-born Sandeep Singh has been deeply affected by the massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake that wrecked his family's house in devastated Nepal.

His two sisters, one with epilepsy, are among thousands of homeless. His parents died two years ago and he is the only son in the family.

"Our house was heavily damaged."

Since the quake, his sisters and two nieces have been living in the streets -- struggling for shelter and food.

Yesterday he received a phone call that left him lost for words.

Raymond Ruru, truck driver and co-owner of R and J Logging, told Mr Singh he needed his bank account number to deposit the $2570 needed to get home.

"It was amazing. He only knows me from coming into the shop. I am so moved I have no words," said Mr Singh.

Mr Ruru and his wife Janine Pere-Ruru met Mr Singh through his job as a salesman at Harvey Norman. He has a second part-time job working at the BNZ.

"He is such a lovely guy. He has a beautiful personality. We were humbled that he came around and asked us if we could help with a fundraiser and my husband was touched by his situation and decided to pay the airfare," said Mrs Pere-Ruru.

Her husband said Mr Singh had no insurance on the family home.

"He needs to go home. I want to do this because if we were in the same situation I would hope someone would help us out," he said.

Mrs Pere-Ruru said her husband had a soft heart and hoped the donation would inspire other forestry businesses to donate money for the people in the devastated Kathmandu region of Nepal.

Another big 7.4 magnitude earthquake hit Nepal again. This is really disheartening to hear. :(

_http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32701385

Nepal earthquake, magnitude 7.4, strikes near Everest

A major earthquake has struck eastern Nepal, two weeks after more than 8,000 people were killed in a devastating quake.

The latest earthquake hit near the town of Namche Bazar, near Mount Everest.

The US Geological Survey said it had a magnitude of 7.4. An earthquake on 25 April, centred in western Nepal, had a magnitude of 7.8.

The latest tremor was felt as far away as the Indian capital Delhi, as well as Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh.

Strong tremors were felt in the capital of Nepal, Kathmandu, which was badly damaged in last month's earthquake.

"This is a really big one," Prakash Shilpakar, the owner of a craft shop in Kathmandu, told the Reuters news agency.

Reports said people rushed from buildings in Kathmandu as the quake struck at 12:35 local time (07:50 GMT).

The epicentre of the latest earthquake was 83km (52 miles) east of Kathmandu, in a rural area close to the Chinese border.

It struck at a depth of 18.5km (11.5 miles), according to the US Geological Survey.

ANOTHER earthquake has hit Nepal, magnitude 7.3

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32701385

A major earthquake has struck eastern Nepal, near Mount Everest, two weeks after more than 8,000 died in a devastating quake.
At least 29 people have been killed and 1,006 injured, according to the Nepali government.
The latest earthquake hit near the town of Namche Bazaar, near Mount Everest.
The US Geological Survey said it had a magnitude of 7.3. An earthquake on 25 April, centred in western Nepal, had a magnitude of 7.8.
The latest tremor was also felt in northern India and Bangladesh, and was centred east of the Nepalese capital Kathmandu, in a rural area close to the Chinese border.
Follow the latest developments on our live page
Read eyewitnesses' account of the earthquake
In Kathmandu, which was badly damaged last month, people rushed out of buildings as the quake struck at 12:35 local time (06:50 GMT).
Rescue helicopters have been sent to districts north-east of the capital, that are believed to be worst hit.
A spokesman for Nepal's government told the BBC that 31 of the country's 75 districts had been affected.
line
At the scene: Simon Cox, BBC, Kathmandu
You could feel it really strongly. It went on for about 25 seconds - the ground was shaking, the birds started squawking, you could feel the buildings shaking.
There was another aftershock and people were all out on the street. That aftershock really added anxiety and panic. People started crying.
They are calm but you can tell they are all scared.
line
The BBC's Yogita Limaye, who was in Nepal's mountains when the latest earthquake struck, said: "The earth shook and it shook for a pretty long time.
"I can completely understand the sense of panic. We have been seeing tremors: it's been two-and-a-half weeks since the first quake. But this one really felt like it went on for a really long time. People have been terrified."
Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Media caption
Yogita Limaye in Bulawa, west of Kathmandu: "I could see dust flying off, stones coming down"
Nepalese run for open space as a strong earthquake hits Kathmandu, Nepal, 12 May 2015.
The quake was followed by another strong aftershock, measuring 6.3
Earthmovers remove debris from a building that collapsed in an earthquake in Kathmandu, Nepal, Tuesday, May 12, 2015.
The earthquake caused some buildings to collapse in the centre of Kathmandu
At least four people were killed in the town of Chautara, east of the capital, Kathmandu, where a number of buildings are reported to have collapsed.
The International Organisation for Migration said bodies were being pulled from rubble there.
Krishna Gyawali, the chief district officer for Chautara, said there had been a number of landslides.
map showing quake epicentre - Namche Bazar - 12 May 2015
The quake struck at a depth of 15km (9.3 miles), according to the US Geological Survey - the same depth as the April 25 quake. Shallow earthquakes are more likely to cause more damage at the surface.
Tuesday's earthquake is likely to be one of the largest to hit Nepal, which has suffered hundreds of aftershocks since 25 April.
The 7.3 quake was followed by six aftershocks of magnitude 5.0 or higher.
One tremor that hit 30 minutes later, centred on the district of Ramechhap, east of Kathmandu, had a magnitude of 6.3.
Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Media caption
Politicians fled the Nepali parliament chamber as the quake hit
line
Analysis: Jonathan Amos, science correspondent, BBC News
Scientists are already producing some preliminary analyses of Tuesday's quake.
The epicentre this time is about 80km (50 miles) east-north-east of Kathmandu, halfway to Everest. On 25 April, the big quake began 80km to the north-west of the capital.
In April, we saw the fault boundary rupture eastwards for 150km (93 miles). And the immediate assessment suggests Tuesday's tremor has occurred right at the eastern edge of this failure.
In that context, this second earthquake was almost certainly triggered by the stress changes caused by the first one. Indeed, the US Geological Survey had a forecast for an aftershock in this general area.
Its modelling suggested there was 1-in-200 chance of a M7-7.8 event occurring this week. So, not highly probable, but certainly possible.
Quake experts often talk about "seismic gaps", which refer to segments of faults that are, to some extent, overdue a quake. Tuesday's big tremor may well have filled a hole between what we saw on 25 April and some historic events - such as those in 1934, that occurred further still to the east.

Re: ANOTHER earthquake has hit Nepal, magnitude 7.3

Sott has an article here. But it is very interesting that two very powerful earthquakes would hit the same place so close together. It doesn't bode well, for sure.

In less than two hours Nepal hit nine earthquake!
Link:
https://translate.google.hr/translate?sl=hr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=hr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.index.hr%2Fvijesti%2Fclanak%2Fnepal-se-ne-prestaje-tresti-u-nepuna-dva-sata-devet-potresa-deseci-mrtvih-tisuce-ozlijedjenih%2F819468.aspx&edit-text=

I think it is important to elaborate a question about this ti the Cs, maybe it has already done and it is just in the private sessions.

:rolleyes:

A Jay said:
Sott has an article here. But it is very interesting that two very powerful earthquakes would hit the same place so close together. It doesn't bode well, for sure.
Didn't spot the article, cheers A Jay.

It already looked like earth changes might have been getting a lot worse in the near future with everything that has been happening, but two major earth quakes in the same place over the space of two and half weeks? It seems like things are progressing and are probably soon going to get a lot worse.

FYI, I merged the topics and moved under Earth Changes, with the generic title Nepal Earthquakes.

The latest I read is that the death toll is above 40 and the injured over a thousand...

Alana said:
FYI, I merged the topics and moved under Earth Changes, with the generic title Nepal Earthquakes.

The latest I read is that the death toll is above 40 and the injured over a thousand...
Adding from the previous earthquake the numbers could be quite more, I had read about the predictions made by the International Center for Earth Simulation in Geneve, around 57,000, quite interesting article here: _http://dotearth.blogs.times.com/2015/04/29/dire-prospects-seen-when-the-full-nepal-earthquake-death-toll-is-tallied/?_r=0
_http://www.icesfoundation.org/Pages/QlarmEventDetails.aspx?id=935

Constructions and how is the country with villages, towns is similar to Mexico, when the earthquake struck Mexico in 1985, it just didn't shake Mexico City, it include several states, every one knows that the official number did not match the reality, the official number was around 10 thousand, it might had been in reality +50,000, depending on the source, it varies.

I wonder about the karma, when this kind of disasters hits. As above so below, why in macro scale would be different?

It is maybe noteworthy that both Nepal earthquakes occurred around two earth-space electromagnetic events. Not sure it's directly related, but here are some short entries from _spaceweather.com

May 10 2015 said:
CO-ROTATING INTERACTION REGION: NOAA forecasters estimate a 45% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on May 11th when a co-rotating interaction region (CIR) is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. CIRs are transition zones between fast- and slow-moving solar wind streams. Solar wind plasma piles up in these regions, producing density gradients and shock waves that do a good job of sparking auroras.

April 25 2015 said:
SOLAR SECTOR BOUNDARY CROSSING: High-latitude auroras are possible on April 25th when Earth crosses through a fold in the heliospheric current sheet. This is called a "solar sector boundary crossing," and NOAA forecasters estimate a 30% chance of polar geomagnetic storms when it occurs.

latulipenoire said:
It looks like half of Nepal is in ruins, and the people there are sleeping outside fearing another quake...just thought if one of these happens in the city where I live, what would I do.

yes, the same thought crossed my mind, I live in California, near Northridge, which was the epicenter on 1994, we are literally living on a time bomb.... :scared: :huh:, the only thing there is to do is keep your eyes open at all times.

Back
Top Bottom