'Brexit' wins, UK to leave the EU?

Re: Brexit wins, UK to leave the EU

Apologies for my late response.

"Brexit is perverse game by Elite."

Russian deputy PM says Brexit to have tectonic consequences for geopolitics

http://tass.ru/en/politics/886523

European geopolitics will be affected by the UK's withdrawal, says Russia's deputy PM

CHISINAU, July 5. /TASS/. UK’s decision to leave the European Union (EU) will have "tectonic" consequences for global geopolitics, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin told a press conference after talks with Moldovan leadership in Chisinau.

"I have not visited Chisinau for more than two years. Over this time, many interesting things happened, such as events connected with UK’s decision to leave EU," Rogozin said. "This will have serious, tectonic consequences from the point of view of European geopolitics," he added.

As many as 51.9% of UK citizens (17.41 million people) voted on June 23 for leaving the European Union, while 48.1% (16.14 million) were in favor of remaining part of the bloc. The referendum is of non-binding character, which means that its results can be either endorsed or turned down by parliament.

Following the British referendum, a number of European leaders called on London to immediately begin talks on withdrawal from the European Union. British Prime Minister David Cameron, who announced his resignation after the referendum, said unequivocally it is to the job for a new premier who will take office by early October.

Ha! Well here is a amusing (?) side note on this whole affair. This article is from Exopolitics, the video of the speech can be seen on the website if anyone's interested, I dont speak French. A simple mistake? Its also odd, Junkers refers to himself as a human being and not a robot or machine :shock:. The author goes on to speculate about ET involvement in the EU. -http://exopolitics.org/european-commission-president-says-he-spoke-to-leaders-of-other-planets-about-brexit/

Yes, I know...this is odd ball stuff. On the other hand "maybe he does speak with leaders from other worlds".
In a speech before the European Parliament discussing the consequences of the Brexit vote, the President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, made the stunning comment that he had spoken about it to “leaders of other planets.” Juncker’s comment suggests that world leaders are in communication with extraterrestrials, which closely monitor global events and assess their geopolitical and ‘exopolitical’ impact.

Juncker’s speech was given on June 28 at an emergency meeting in Brussels by the European Parliament. Here is what he said in French along with the English translation:

“Il faut savoir que ceux qui nous observent de loin sont très inquiets. J’ai vu et entendu et écouté plusieurs des dirigeants d’autres planètes qui sont très inquiets puisqu’ils s’interrogent sur la voie que l’union européenne va poursuivre. Et donc, if faut rassurer, et les européens, et ceux qui nous observent de plus… loin.”

“It should be known that those who observe us from afar are very worried. I met and heard and listened to several of the leaders from other planets who are very concerned because they question the path the European Union will engage on. And so, a soothing is needed for both the Europeans and those who observe us from … farther away.”

The official transcript released by the European Commission has been edited to remove the reference to “leaders from other planets”. The transcript now reads:

J’ai vu et entendu et écouté plusieurs des dirigeants. Ils sont très inquiets ….

“I saw and heard and listened to several executives. They are very worried …”

Yet, when one listens to an audio loop of what Junker’s actually said, he very clearly includes the phrase “dirigeants d’autres planets,” which translates as “leaders of other planets,” as pointed out by native French speakers discussing Junckers speech, and also by Google Translate.

There has been clearly an official attempt to cover up Juncker’s admission to having spoken to “leaders of other planets,” and making it appear as though he was instead referring to “executives” concerned about Brexit. So what did Juncker have in mind when he said he spoke with “leaders of other planets”?

One possible interpretation is that he meant to say that he had spoken with “other planetary leaders” outside of the European Union, and made a simple grammatical error as some contend. If so, then why wasn’t the official transcript corrected to make it clear that he had misspoken? Furthermore, it is difficult to imagine a major world leader would make such a dramatic error in an important speech to the European Parliament without realizing it immediately and correcting that error on the spot.

Also, at several points in his speech, Junckers makes references to himself as a “human being” and not a robot or a machine, suggesting that some in his intended audience are not human as one native French speaker has noted in translating and interpreting his comments in a helpful thread on the Project Avalon Forum.

Panic’ Withdrawals Halt Four More U.K. Property Funds (Video)
July 6, 2016 — 11:59 PM CEST‘
_http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-06/henderson-suspends-5-billion-real-estate-fund-on-liquidity
Four more U.K. property funds froze withdrawals as investors sought to dump real estate holdings in the aftermath of Britain’s vote to leave the European Union.
Henderson Global Investors, Columbia Threadneedle Investments and Canada Life suspended trading in at least 5.7 billion pounds ($7.4 billion) of funds. Aberdeen Fund Managers Ltd. cut the value of a property fund by 17 percent and briefly halted redemptions so that investors who asked for their money back have time to reconsider.

“The problem with open-ended funds is you do start to have panic selling, so you really have no choice but to suspend the fund,” said Jason Hollands, managing director at investment firm Tilney Bestinvest. “There’s an inevitability to this now.”

Investors are pulling money from U.K. property funds as analysts warn that London office values could fall by as much as 20 percent within three years of the country leaving the EU. During the financial crisis of 2007 and 2008, real-estate funds were similarly hit by redemptions and forced to halt withdrawals, contributing to a slump in property prices that saw values drop more than 40 percent from their peak in Britain.

Wednesday’s moves brings the number of U.K. firms curbing redemptions to seven since the June 23 vote. Henderson said Wednesday it had temporarily halted its 3.9 billion-pound U.K. Property PAIF fund along with feeder funds due to “exceptional liquidity pressures” and the recent suspension of other funds. Columbia Threadneedle halted its 1.39 billion-pound PAIF and feeder funds and Canada Life froze four funds totaling 450 million pounds.
‘Penal Consequences’

Aberdeen marked down the value of its 580 million pound real estate fund and related feeder fund, resulting in a share price decline of 17 percent.
The firm said it was halting withdrawals for 24 hours as of noon Wednesday so clients who asked for their money back have time to reconsider their orders.
“Shareholders wishing to redeem will do so at a price which is subject to the above dilution adjustment in order to reflect the current market environment and the fact that short term trading in the property market has relatively penal consequences,” the firm said.

With the real estate tremors echoing the last financial crisis, the growing fear is that failure to control aftershocks from the Brexit vote will propel the economy into recession. The pound sank to a fresh 31-year low as the fallout continued to reverberate through financial markets.
Cash Levels

Investors pulled money from real estate funds
in the lead up to the vote, depleting cash levels. Standard Life Investments was the first money manager to halt withdrawals on Monday, followed by Aviva Investors and M&G Investments.

Today’s suspensions take the total number of real estate assets frozen by money managers since Monday to more than 15 billion pounds, according to the most recent data. About 24.5 billion pounds is allocated to U.K. real estate funds, according to the Investment Association.

There’s “a loss of confidence in the valuations being used” by fund managers, said John Forbes, an independent real estate consultant and former tax partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP who specializes in property funds. “The retail funds had cash and balances in liquid shares” to manage normal levels of outflows, he said.

Aberdeen said its funds had invested in 79 U.K. properties across sectors including retail and industrial.
“The portfolio was positioned defensively prior to the referendum with one of the highest levels of liquidity of all similar funds and having sold all its quoted property companies investments in the week prior to the referendum and holding this as cash,” the firm said.

navy-sinking-o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN9EC3Gy6Nk
http://www.moviesoundclips.net/embed.php?id=dccbc0e55a474a9893671317dc81748f

So, Tony Blair, clearly a war criminal, will most likely not end up in jail: "International Criminal Court prosecutors have told a British newspaper that Tony Blair will not be put on trial for war crimes over his involvement in the 2003 Iraq war."

Meanwhile the ICC is still after recently released Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam (who is innocent): "The 44-year-old Gaddafi is still wanted by the International Criminal Court in The Hague for a host of crimes against humanity, and war crimes associated with his father’s regime." Luckily however, his lawyer Khan said: "It is prohibited to try an individual twice for the same offense,".

It's pretty clear that in this world black is white, up is down, and innocent people are murderers and murderers are innocent. I still hope Jeremy Corbyn's efforts will have some effect.

Putin on Brexit: "Anything I say will be manipulated"

https://youtu.be/ER8V5L8WC4c

I thought this part is interesting, Putin said: (1.25 min)

When it comes to David Cameron, the Prime Minster of the UK. If Brexit is such a big threat, why then did the initiate it?

Why is he doing it? Who are they trying to blackmail – or who are they trying to scare?

What is the purpose of this referendum, if Cameron himself does not support it?

[quote author= Niall]Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader after 'achieving political ambition' of Brexit

The Guardian, 4 July 2016

Poor fool doesn't realize it's not actually gonna happen!

So they've already removed one threat to Tory hegemony.[/quote]

Farage is keeping his seat in EU parliament so whenever he deems fit he could continue on lecturing this weird cult as he once called it.

This is just new, according to the following, this contributed why he resigned :

Assassination threats forced UKIP boss Nigel Farage to resign - reports
https://www.rt.com/uk/350645-assassination-threat-farage-ukip/

Brexiteer Nigel Farage stood down as UKIP leader because he feared for his life, it has emerged. Threats were also allegedly made against his family during the EU referendum campaign.
Last Monday, the Leave campaigner and MEP announced his resignation, saying Britain’s vote to leave the EU on June 23 meant his “political ambition has been achieved.”
“I have never been and I have never wanted to be a career politician.

“I couldn’t possibly achieve more than we managed to achieve in the referendum. So I think it’s right that I should stand aside as leader of UKIP. “During the referendum campaign, I said I want my country back. What I am saying today is I want my life back, and it begins right now.” However, it has been claimed Farage’s reasons for resigning may run somewhat deeper. According to the Daily Express, Farage has been disturbed by a surge in daily threats that have worsened dramatically since the vote for a Brexit. The newspaper claims he gave a police statement about threats made to his family. It is understood those threats were made against his daughters, aged 11 and 16. Would-be attackers were caught on at least two occasions trying to smuggle knives into EU referendum campaign rallies attended by Farage, the Mirror reports. Hundreds of messages have also been posted to social media making threats against Farage.

One on Twitter reads: “I will pay for someone to shoot Nigel Farage.” Another says: “Punch, stab or shoot: Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and Michael Gove. Go! #PunchStabOrShoot.” The Daily Express says Farage’s family life has also been under strain, which contributed to his standing down. “It has been a huge chunk of my life doing this and it’s not easy, perhaps when you feel a degree of ownership of something, perhaps to let it go. “But it has come at a cost to me and perhaps those around me,” Farage said in his resignation speech. Farage, who returned to the leadership almost immediately after resigning from his post in the wake of a disappointing UKIP result at the 2015 general election has ruled out the possibility of changing his mind once more. His resignation has sparked yet another leadership battle in British politics, with his deputy Paul Nuttall and MEP Steven Woolfe among the expected contenders to succeed him.

Putin had the same question I had.

bjorn said:
When it comes to David Cameron, the Prime Minster of the UK. If Brexit is such a big threat, why then did the initiate it?

Why is he doing it? Who are they trying to blackmail – or who are they trying to scare?

My answer was 'Europe', but I now think possibly also the US, if we take into consideration Britain's overtures towards China late last year. I wonder if British and British-based financiers see the writing on the wall for the US dollar and have calculated that they can hedge their bets by switching London's 'world banking services' to catering for a potential future role for the yuan as 'world reserve currency'.

bjorn said:
What is the purpose of this referendum, if Cameron himself does not support it?

Indeed!

Niall said:
My answer was 'Europe', but I now think possibly also the US, if we take into consideration Britain's overtures towards China late last year. I wonder if British and British-based financiers see the writing on the wall for the US dollar and have calculated that they can hedge their bets by switching London's 'world banking services' to catering for a potential future role for the yuan as 'world reserve currency'.

Philip Hammond has 'no doubt' Britain will be able strike free trade deal with China

The Telegraph, UK, 24 July 2016

Philip Hammond, the Chancellor, has said he has "no doubt" that Britain will be able strike a free trade deal with China as he hailed "more opportunities" for Britain outside the EU.

Speaking at the end of a G20 summit in China, he suggested that Britain's membership of the EU has constrained its ability to deal with nations outside Europe because it has been "bound by the rules".

Mr Hammond said: "The mood music that I have heard here is very much that this will mean more opportunity for countries like China that are outside the European Union to do business with Britain.

"And as Britain leaves the European Union and is not bound by the rules of the European Union perhaps it will be easier to do deals with Britain in the future."

"We already have a strategic partnership with China. We have hugely increased our trade with China, investment both by British companies into China and by Chinese entities into the UK.

"That's about as far as we can go while we are members of the European Union. But once we are out of the European Union then I have no doubt on both sides we will want to cement that relationship into a firmer structure in a bilateral way that's appropriate."

By posting this development, I don't mean to suggest that Brexit was 'fixed' with this outcome in mind; rather that the UK elite was moving in this direction anyway, and their Brexit cock-up, and resulting crisis, has presented an opportunity to cement the move.

Quite what China wants out of this, I don't know. Historically, it never wanted anything but gold and silver from Britain, and when Britain could no longer deliver, it swamped China with opium and ushered in that country's 'century of humiliation'.

Maybe the Chinese are doing this with a view to separating the UK from the US, thereby weakening the Empire?

To echo what's being said here by giving a few specifics check out this interview with Jim Willie (whom I mentioned earlier, and whom I've only just come upon recently to get further info. on the big picture financially speaking).. but check this out starting at 35:00:

https://youtu.be/-E4By6hOdbk

.. or to quote the same material from Jim Willie here:

"I think there was a miscalculation. Cameron lobbied toward the vote a year ago when he thought it would not pass. He miscalculated, so he resigned. And so we basically have no power structure at the top in England and London. I like to say the only power structure there is the head of City of London and the financial center. It's kind of like a financial mayor, if you will… [like] a chairman of the Chamber of Commerce…

... What I think scared the bejesus out of the British was the new ties that the Chinese have been making with European financial centers. In particular, Zurich, Switzerland and Frankfurt, Germany. They're setting up RMB trading hubs there.. [FYI, the renminbi (RMB) is the official Chinese currency].. that's to do bond issuance and to do RMB currency trading… there's also an RMB hub in Paris, France--these are small, but Frankfurt's going to be big. And I think London got scared that the continent might offer them competition in ways that they never have before. So, instead of working through Brussels they decided let's rebel against Brussels, tell 'em to go to hell, and work out our own Chinese deals for the RMB Center in London. And they've already issued in London some sovereign bonds for the Spanish government debt, and by that I mean Spain called up London, said sell some bonds, the fee structure's in place for your profit to your brokers, the denomination of the bond for Spanish government debt will be Chinese RMB currency, let it fly--and they did. I think it was a three billion dollar worth of bonds in RMB. This is the sort of thing the British did not want to lose to Frankfurt and Zurich. And now look for some LNG natural gas deals with Russia and Gazprom, they don't have to abide by the sanctions…[instead] the British are going to cut deals with the Russians."

Is it one more bluff move to increase pressure on the EU and obtain more concessions?

In "Victory For Eurosceptics" British PM Will Begin Brexit Negotiations Without Parliamentary Vote

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-27/victory-eurosceptics-british-pm-will-begin-brexit-negotiations-without-parliamentary

In what the Telegraph dubs a victory for Eurosceptics, the conservative newspaper reported overnight that Britain's new Prime Minister, Theresa May, will not hold a parliamentary vote on Brexit before formally triggering Britain's withdrawal from the European Union. "Her decision will come as a blow to Remain campaigners, who had been hoping to use Parliament to delay or halt Brexit entirely."

According to the Telegraph, May will not offer opponents the chance to stall the withdrawal and has consulted lawyers who say she has the power to invoke the exit without a parliamentary vote. A majority of the 650 lawmakers had declared themselves "Remainers" and as had been widely speculated, by Tony Blair, the former Labour Prime Minister, and Owen Smith, the Labour leadership candidate, among others, that Remain-supporting MPs could use a Parliamentary vote to stop Brexit. Opponents maintain that since the EU referendum result is not legally binding, elected lawmakers should review the vote before the process is started.

Mr Smith last week set out plans to block Article 50 in Parliament. He said: “Under my leadership, Labour won't give the Tories a blank cheque.

“We will vote in Parliament to block any attempt to invoke Article 50 until Theresa May commits to a second referendum or a general election on whatever the EU exit deal emerges at the end of the process. I hope Jeremy will support me in such a move."

Tony Blair made a similar suggestion earlier this year as he suggested that Britain should be open to the idea of holding a second referendum: “If, as we start to see the details emerge of what this new world we are going into looks like, what are the practical effects, then parliament has got a role. The country should carry on being engaged in this debate, it should carry on expressing its view.”

However, Telegraph sources say that because Mrs May believes that “Brexit means Brexit” she will not offer opponents the opportunity to stall Britain's withdrawal from the EU. A Downing Street source said: “The Prime Minister has been absolutely clear that the British public have voted and now she will get on with delivering Brexit.”

May has allegedly consulted with government lawyers who have told the new PM she has the executive power to invoke Article 50 and begin the formal process of exiting the European Union without a vote in Parliament.

That remains to be decided: a group of lawyers has mounted a legal challenge in a bid to force Mrs May to hold a parliamentary vote. The case, which will be heard in the High Court in October, argues that Article 50 cannot be invoked until the European Communities Act of 1972 is repealed.

However government lawyers are confident that they will win, paving the way for Article 50 to be triggered at the beginning of next year, which could see Britain leave the European Union in 2019.

Bill Cash, a eurosceptic Conservative MP and leading Brexit campaigner, said: “It sounds emphatic and that’s what we want to hear.

“There were people who are threatening to try and stop Brexit. The bottom line is that here is nothing that could possibly be allowed to stand in its way. Everyone in Europe is expecting it, the decision has been taken by the British people and that’s it. Let’s get on with it.”

While the vast majority of establishment economists and media outlets launched an unprecedented scaremongering campaign ahead of the vote to scare the British people into voting no on Brexit, which they had predicted would unleash a sharp recession, so far that has not happened - the BOE recently backtracked on its gloom and doom prediction of a "sharp" recession and is now predicting modest growth in 2017...

... and if anything recent data suggest that the UK, while experiencing a modest slowdown, may ultimately benefit from the sharp drop in sterling (tourism has already seen a dramatic bounce), and an inflow of foreign capital once the doomsday scenario does not materialize.

Brexit vote interpreted as green light for racism: Analyst
Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:18AM
http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/08/28/482017/Britain-UN-Committee-on-the-Elimination-of-Racial-Discrimination-CERD-race-hate-crimes
Press TV has conducted an interview with a senior adviser to London's former mayor, Lee Jasper, and political commentator Andre Walker, both from London, to investigate a report by the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) accusing politicians in the United Kingdom of fanning the flames of hate crimes against minority groups in the weeks before and after the Brexit vote on June 23​.

Lee Jasper approved claims by the CERD regarding the increasing racial inequality and the hysterical atmosphere created in Britain by the exit vote from the European Union, adding that Brexit has been interpreted by some radical elements within the establishment as “a green light for racism.”

“You have to lay the blame on the kind of poisonous rhetoric that we have seen around the Brexit campaign which has made some ludicrous and quite malicious claims against migrant communities, against Muslim communities and against black communities,” he noted.

Britain is losing its title as one the most tolerant countries in Europe, Jasper underscored, adding the country is now becoming an increasingly hostile place for anybody who is not assumed to be of British origin.

The discussion heated up when Andre Walker accused Jasper of receiving millions of pounds to render Britain as a racist country in the world, adding that “Lee is a professional and his job is to tell the world that Britain is a racist country.”

“It is a crazy situation,” he said. “When I went to the European Parliament, there were nine non-white MPs, eight of whom were from the United Kingdom or Ireland. There were I think three Muslims. Two of them were British conservatives and one of them was a French Algerian who got in because of the electoral system... What is amazing about this is that you are telling one of the least racist countries in the world how racist it is and we see the almost entirely white Christian MPs of the European Union telling the multi-ethnic British MPs that they are all racist.”

https://youtu.be/TcwHk9PdqMA

UK PM says will begin Brexit process before German election - Sunday Times

https://www.rt.com/news/line/

Britain will not wait for German elections due in September 2017 before triggering Article 50 to begin the formal process of leaving the European Union, Prime Minister Theresa May told the Sunday Times newspaper. May, who will give a speech to members of the ruling Conservative Party on Sunday, ruled out an early general election, saying it would cause "instability", but said she would repeal the 1972 European Communities Act which took Britain into what is now the EU. "We will introduce, in the next Queen's speech, a Great Repeal Bill that will remove the European Communities Act from the statute book," she told the newspaper. Overturning the act will take legal effect once Britain formally leaves the European Union, the newspaper reported. (Reuters)

90 Days Later: Still No Signs Of Brexit 'Doom & Gloom'

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-01/90-days-later-still-no-signs-brexit-doom-gloom

For the first half of the year, we were warned early and often by authorities that the Brexit vote could be a calamity for the ages.

For example, the IMF claimed that a “Leave” result would threaten to “cause severe damage”, while Standard and Poor’s said that it would “paralyze” investment in the UK.

But, as Visual Capitalist's Jeff Desjardins notes, it turns out that the real Brexit casualty isn’t the UK economy – instead it is the reputation of the many professional economists who wrongly predicted doom and gloom as the likely aftermath.

THE STORY SO FAR

Today’s chart looks at the three months before and after the Brexit vote, which took place on June 23, 2016.

chart-brexit-aftermath.jpg

Courtesy of: Visual Capitalist

The two charts tracked are the GBP/EUR and the FTSE 100. The former is the price of the British pound in terms of euros, and the latter is a major stock index that includes the largest companies listed in London, such as Barclays, Glencore, HSBC, Royal Dutch Shell, or Sainsbury’s.

As expected, both markets have seen some action in the aftermath of the vote to leave. The pound has depreciated in terms of euros, but it is still higher now than it was from 2009-2011 in the post-crisis period. Against the ultra-strong USD, the pound is at decade-lows – but many other currencies are in similar territory as well.

The FTSE 100 is another story. It’s relatively close to all-time highs – and even despite the fears of a potential collapse of Deutsche Bank, it’s climbed over 12% since the initial Brexit slump.

In both cases, the action was partly underscored by the Bank of England, which announced a new stimulus program (QE) after its August meeting, while cutting rates from 0.5% to 0.25%.

OTHER INDICATORS

While there’s been movement in the currency and equity markets, other economic indicators have been status quo or better for the UK so far.

Retail sales beat in July and August, and unemployment remains at 11-year lows. Purchasing manager indices dropped temporarily, but jumped back up.

The economists that predicted that the sky was falling? They’ve been forced to revise growth expectations back up, at least on a short-term basis. It’s been dubbed the “Brexit Bounce” by The Spectator, a conservative magazine based in London.

While there is likely still going to be some long-term fallout from the Brexit decision, many “experts” blew it on this one.

The FTSE 100 is another story. It’s relatively close to all-time highs – and even despite the fears of a potential collapse of Deutsche Bank, it’s climbed over 12% since the initial Brexit slump.

That doesn't surprise me, given the dollar's strength: London is the clearing center for both petrodollars (Middle Eastern oil trade conducted in dollars) and eurodollars (European trade conducted in dollars). As long as the US is strong, the UK is strong.

The economists that predicted that the sky was falling? They’ve been forced to revise growth expectations back up, at least on a short-term basis. It’s been dubbed the “Brexit Bounce” by The Spectator, a conservative magazine based in London.

While there is likely still going to be some long-term fallout from the Brexit decision, many “experts” blew it on this one.

Sure, as long as the US is on top. But when that ends, I think it's curtains for the UK (and a lot of other countries, mind you).

May, who will give a speech to members of the ruling Conservative Party on Sunday, ruled out an early general election, saying it would cause "instability"...

Translation: no elections because Corbyn would win. We need some time to figure out what to do with him...

For people so concerned about stability (of their power), they sure know how to destabilize everything.

Article 50 Perfectly Timed

https://mishtalk.com/2016/10/09/article-50-perfectly-timed/

Labour spin doctor, Alastair Campbell Slammed the Prime Minister for Revealing the Article 50 Timing. Others have done the same.

Timing of the article 50 announcement, by March 2017, is ahead of French and German elections. Politicians will have elections, not Brexit on their minds.

Many blame Theresa May because it will take time off the negotiations.

Politically speaking, May knows precisely what she is doing.

Those who think otherwise, need to consider how well she has rounded up support in many quarters by offering something to everyone: UK Prime Minister Attacks QE, Irresponsible Capitalism, Tax-Dodging Companies.

The date was carefully timed, precisely to put pressure on Angela Merkel by German car manufacturers (European car manufacturers and businesses in general), telling Merkel to go easy.

Late last week the Financial Times reported Merkel Warns European Business Not to Press for ‘Comfortable’ UK Trade Deals.

Mrs May’s insistence on new immigration controls and an end to the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice makes it highly unlikely that Britain would seek to stay in the EU’s single market.

British ministers instead now speculate on the possibility of seeking sectoral deals to keep trade flowing, including a special regime for key traded goods such as cars. They also argue that the importance of the UK as a market for EU goods will oblige European governments to offer favourable trade terms.

Ms Merkel urged companies in sectoral talks to resist “pressure from European industry associations” and avoid the temptation to set aside EU principles — especially the freedom of movement — because it was “comfortable” to do so.

The chancellor dropped her usual references to the importance of maintaining close ties with the UK and instead highlighted her main priority — keeping together the EU 27.

She told the annual conference of the BDI, the German industry association: “If we don’t insist that full access to the single market is tied to complete acceptance of the four basic freedoms, then a process will spread across Europe whereby everyone does and is allowed what they want.”
That Merkel felt the need to make such statements shows precisely whet she is up against.

Businesses are going to press for free trade, and they should. Is the loss of jobs worth the alleged “integrity” of the “single market”?

If you have to act like gang leaders to maintain integrity, how much integrity do you really have?

Merkel will not listen of course, but will she be around? Another mess could just do her in. Well done, Theresa May!

Back
Top Bottom