Anyone else smell roses?

Hi DM,
we have an idiom in french:"to be(or not) in odour of sanctity,which means to be(or not)appreciated by your superiors.
Odour(odeur in french)comes from the Greek "Odos"which means the "way" or the "path".
from wikipedia:
There is a theory[1] that the 'odor of sanctity' is merely a smell of acetone and/or acetoacetic acid caused by ketosis caused by starvation caused by religious fasting.
So the question is:are you on low-carb diet actually? ;)

There are many testimonies of people smelling roses on various sites and forums;it appears that it's often related to a message from some relatives recently passed or to this flower representing Mary,symbol of fertility.

There is also a german scientist from Lübeckest University,Jan Born, who has studied effects of roses smells on memory improvements but unfortunately I couldn't access his publications.

Interesting experience. I'm a little unclear from your post if you smelled the roses yourself or if it was only your wife and friend that smelled them around you. Either way, you're welcome and thank you for sharing.
The odor was not on my skin but rather "around me" and in the car too for almost one week and I could smell it myself indeed

A lot to dig yet on this fascinating topic which puzzles many people for centuries.

Very interesting. And puzzling indeed!

Don Diego said:
So the question is:are you on low-carb diet actually? ;)

Haha. As I mentioned, I've been smelling the roses a few times a week for a couple of months now, and over that period I've had moderate carb days, low carb days, and fasted for days at a time. It doesn't seem to be related to diet.

Thanks for the references!

Don Diego said:
Hi DM,
we have an idiom in french:"to be(or not) in odour of sanctity,which means to be(or not)appreciated by your superiors.
Odour(odeur in french)comes from the Greek "Odos"which means the "way" or the "path".

There are many testimonies of people smelling roses on various sites and forums;it appears that it's often related to a message from some relatives recently passed or to this flower representing Mary,symbol of fertility.

There is also a german scientist from Lübeckest University,Jan Born, who has studied effects of roses smells on memory improvements but unfortunately I couldn't access his publications.

Intersting thought Don Diego. i had the experience in which aim close to family for 35 years, The mother (of 2 boys, now men and one girl also in here early 60's). There Father passed away suddenly around the mid 1950's, leaving her to raise all three by herself.

She was a great women, and had (and still has) a lot of empathy, compassion, love, and pizzas in her heart and soul. I was always asked to there function's, and they always celebrating something as means to bring as many family members, and friends together in the true Italian tradition for celebration. She was and is a great mom to the her 3 children and worked hard to provide them with atmosphere for an opportunity for growth for being a single mom. Back then it wasn't easy as a widower, to accomplish a feat like this, with out giving something up. But i don't think that was ever the case as she was old school, one of strong morals, and unabated courage.

Well, sadly as the years went buy, so did her health. In her final days, she was hospiced in her home as to a hospital at the request of here family. On the day she left, her oldest daughter called me to inform me that she was possibly going to pass and notified me i should come out to say good by. So i was about a 35 minute drive from there home and proceeded to get there as fast and safely as possible to see her at her bed side with here three adult children. As i got their no more than perhaps only a few minute's, she would take her last breath, and leave this plan for the next.

It became very quite, and as it was long battle in her condition, but now she was at peace. The four of us, just sat there in silence, with our prayers for the guidance for her to move forward, thanking her and saying good by.

I remember sitting there after lighting a candle i had brought and just reflecting of all times i was in her company, and the many smiles she always had when she had brought everyone was together, to sharing pot luck, and celebrate the coming together.

A number of years passed by and i was out riding a road bike traveling up old Tunnel road in the Oakland hills in California. My thoughts of her suddenly came to me, and at that very moment, the sweet smell of a fragrance (one of which i have never experienced in my life) filled my senses. I had too stop, and i looked around to see if there were any wild flowers blossoming, but all i could only see was dried wild grass, every where i looked.

I would come to understand, that it was her way of saying hello, and took it as a sign, that she was in better place and still smiling.

I truly felt graced when she was here on this earth, as well as that day for her company. Thank you Josey.

This is very strange. I HAD flowers here yesterday and the smell of roses though the bouquet only had 2 roses was so strong that I threw them out. My husband and I are continuing to smell the very heady rose smell even though the flowers have been gone for 24hrs. Im thinking that the scent was so strong, abnormally so. It's like someone sprayed an can of roses in specific areas. No one has passed recently but my Mom is going through the diagnostics for cancer The odor in only in a few areas of my house intermittently throughout the day. Ive locked myself off into my bedroom so I don't have to face the smell. I think something is going on, what I have no idea. Maybe someone on the other side is trying to give me a sign? Ive checked everywhere for possible sources of these roses. Laughingly, my hubby and I are walking through the house sniffing and trying to make sense of this. Any ideas?

Hi QueenVictoria,

Welcome to the Forum. It's customary for new posters to introduce themselves on the Newbie board. Nothing too personal, just a few lines about yourself and how you found the Forum. You can check other posts to see how folks have done it. :)

When I was sick and almost dying I really did smell roses, but as miss toad quoted, I had by that time a respiratory disease.

Interesting it is theorized that strong odors from an unknown source could be from paranormal activity. I've heard many stories of people smelling tobacco smoke and some form of paranormal activity being associated with it. But like others said I would be real cautious with unusual experiences because it might not be what you expected especially if you consider it to be good.

Dorothy Minder,

smell is known to be one of the strongest triggers of memory, and memory can easily trigger smell sensations in certain individuals.

i think it's worth trying to note what exactly you might be thinking of / remembering in the moments that accompany this phenomena.
it might give you some insight as to the nature of these occurrences.

I smell roses a lot..don't really care for them as a flower always reminded me of a funeral home as a kid...9 yrs ago..my boyfriend and I were walking into the house..I grabbed the back of his jacket and asked him" Do you smell roses" They were so strong..he said NO...6 wks later he passed at the age of 43..brain anyurism...So with todays event I feel someone close to me will pass..this scares me...!

I'm sorry to hear of that experience Corinne. Have you had a chance to check out the Eiriu Eolas thread? It's a great way to relieve stress and worries.

It is customary for new members to give a brief introduction in the Newbies section. It doesn't have to be personal and you can take a look there at how others did it. Take care! :)

Back
Top Bottom