Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

Hey Davey 72, interesting thought! Slam dunk vitamin c transdermally. Well our experience on working around the smell has been problematic.
I'm still a worker bee so l can take it on a Friday night and pray the smell is out of my system come Monday morning. My wife was all dolled up and was attending a thrift sale. Some fella behind her remarked to his wife, " that it smelled like a dead goat in here." That pretty much did it for my wife. All my praises about DMSO went right down the drain. :(

So were you thinking of adding DMSO to liposomal vitamin c so it can be spread transdermally? The liposomal c does spread nicely on the skin because of the lecithin. How about the feet for a start?

davey72 said:
Has anyone thought of or tried using pure ascorbic acid mixed with DMSO topically?
I tried transdermal vitamin c for a feew weeks a while back. Then I simply mixed 1 part ascorbic acid with 5 parts boiled water, dissolved it and kept it in a dark airtight glassbottle. from what i read at the time the solution is best not to surpass 20% for best absorption rate and is best made in small batches as it oxidizes and loses its strenght rather quickly. I used it mainly on my face and in my hair. Cant really say if it did me any good but I remember that my hair turned from dark blond to a carrotlike orange :) fwiw.

Here is one piece on transdermal vitamin c (also called vitamin c serum): http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/skin/vitaminC/

I was thinking more along the lines of using pure ascorbic acid as it seems like it could kill two birds with one stone. Or three as i would think liposomal would be unneccesary due to be absorbed directly into the blood stream and or any part of the body you wish to deliver the vitamin c to. It is just a thought and a questin though as i have no idea how or if it would work.

birk said:
davey72 said:
Has anyone thought of or tried using pure ascorbic acid mixed with DMSO topically?
I tried transdermal vitamin c for a feew weeks a while back. Then I simply mixed 1 part ascorbic acid with 5 parts boiled water, dissolved it and kept it in a dark airtight glassbottle. from what i read at the time the solution is best not to surpass 20% for best absorption rate and is best made in small batches as it oxidizes and loses its strenght rather quickly. I used it mainly on my face and in my hair. Cant really say if it did me any good but I remember that my hair turned from dark blond to a carrotlike orange :) fwiw.

Here is one piece on transdermal vitamin c (also called vitamin c serum): http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/skin/vitaminC/

"I remember that my hair turned from dark blond to carrotlike orange". :rotfl:

Sorry Birk, but your comment reminded me of my sun lamp days in high school. :oops:

Great web site, thanks!

I've been taking slow release Vitamin C capsules as it belongs to the family of water soluble vitamins and what we don't use - we lose. I take 4000 milligrams a day and if I feel 'something' coming on I double the dosage to 8000 milligrams per day.

I found the Linus Pauling website to be very informative and it served as the beginning of my interest in Vitamin C. as a dietary supplement.

Can somebody recommend some Brand or seller of ascorbic acid powder , from Europe mainly .
I have tried iHerb and some other mentioned in this thread but non of them ships to Macedonia. I trien Ebay and amazom. From Amazon only Chinesse Corm made ascorbic acid powder can be shipped to Macedonia . Until now i was buying Vit C tablets but they are very expensive. ( 10g = 1Eur )
So i would like to find some seller that ships Ascorbic acid to Macedonia.

Konstantin said:
Can somebody recommend some Brand or seller of ascorbic acid powder , from Europe mainly .
I have tried iHerb and some other mentioned in this thread but non of them ships to Macedonia. I trien Ebay and amazom. From Amazon only Chinesse Corm made ascorbic acid powder can be shipped to Macedonia . Until now i was buying Vit C tablets but they are very expensive. ( 10g = 1Eur )
Sodium ascorbate powder 200g 100% pure pharmaceutical grade vitamin c acid amide action cost £ 100 instead of 200 kn

2x200g price 160 kn

Contact: 095/8527 605 Shipping ZG, free shipping negotiated for larger quantities

all new, unopened, with a long shelf life

This is price in Croatia

Konstantin said:
Thanks casper, I`ll check this . I must also check the shipping costs.
Odgovori

Konstantin ,please check and this link:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Sodium-Ascorbate-8-oz-227-g/795#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=sodium%20ascorbate&rc=2271&sr=null&ic=1

Konstantin said:

I buy vitamin C in DM (drogerie markt) stores. 100 gr costs about 15 kuna. I see that the DM has opened two stores in Skopje, so perhaps you can look up there.

Its great. I`ll check DM in Skopje as soon as i have time to go there. And recently i was checking iHerb and there was not option for Shipping in Macedonia, but now i can see that there is that option possible. Great news. I`ll check the prices in both places and decide what to buy.
Thank you for Info. :)

There is research regards high dose vit-C affecting copper & calcium levels. After speed reading the research abstract,it was concluded that 'normal' magnesium levels be maintained. All of the research was performed on animals,however,I always heard that copper was lowered with vit-C use. I usually take a dose of magnesium with my vit-C as mag stores vary depending on many factors,one is stress which reduces magnesium. Readers may want to research 'transdermal magnesium' for best absorption as much is lost in the gut via tablet which,like vit-C,causes the loose stool effect. Don't get caught up in buying 'magnesium oil' as you can make your own easily,inexpensively. 'Mag oil' is a misnomer as it is actually magnesium chloride salts dissolved in water. The results may feel 'oily' to touch,like the salts. Sorry to distract from the vit-C topic,however,balance is necessary when hyperloading,(orthomolecular dosing), with any single nutrient. Hint: mag-chloride salts from 'Dead Sea Salts' or in bulk as 'USP' grade,much cleaner. gb

Has anyone had problems when switching from pure ascorbic acid to sodium ascorbate?

I've recently switched as I had read that the sodium ascorbate is gentler on the stomach. It has had the opposite reaction in me. It seems I can only take 2 or 3grams a day otherwise I hit bowel tolerance. With the pure ascorbic acid I had gone as high as 14g a day but was mainly doing between 6g and 10g per day.

One thing that occurred to me was that maybe I needed less because I have been taking it for a while and my body needs less of it now? from what I have read, it does't seem that the absorption rate is any different for either forms, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm really interested to see if anyone else has had a similar experience, or could give me some insight.

Back
Top Bottom