Body by Science / HIIT Experiment

For a long time, it was known that exercise is good not only for the muscles, but also for the bones. And it looks like the lactate is one of the reasons for that:

Also, bicarbonate helps to increase the lactate during the exercise:

I watched a cool video on the benefits of sprint interval training, and I wanted to share what it said here.

According to the study cited in the video sprint interval training increases human growth hormone by up to 2000% and testosterone by 38% .

This was achieved by the following procedure, roughly adapted:
  1. 5 to 10 minute jog to warm up
  2. light stretching to warm up
  3. sprinting interval: four or five 20 second sprints at max speed with 4 minutes of rest between each interval.
  4. light stretching to cool down
One paradox noticed during training is that when people hear "maximum speed" they tend to tense up their bodies too much; according to the video if people get told to run only at 90% or 95% max speed they actually run a little bit faster than if told to run at 100% max speed.

Other options include:
  • sprinting up a hill to increase strength gains in the legs and improving sprinting technique by increasing knee drive.
  • sprinting on sand or long grass to train smaller stabilizer muscles in the feet/ankles/knees and increase strength in the core/obliques.
The original video is here:

I visited my local gym this morning to start a BBS routine. The gym is equipped with free weights for the Big 5 exercises, but since I need to transition quickly between exercises to minimize rest periods and I’m not yet familiar with proper form, I prefer using machines where possible. However, I must do a bent over barbell row as there isn't a machine alternative for a seated row. I’d appreciate some advice from more experienced gym-goers:

The only available machine for the "Pull-down" segment of the routine is a Lat Pull. Since I have to sit on this machine and can't perform the pulldown at the prescribed 45-degree angle, would a standard lat pulldown effectively target the intended muscle groups?

I visited my local gym this morning to start a BBS routine. The gym is equipped with free weights for the Big 5 exercises, but since I need to transition quickly between exercises to minimize rest periods and I’m not yet familiar with proper form, I prefer using machines where possible. However, I must do a bent over barbell row as there isn't a machine alternative for a seated row. I’d appreciate some advice from more experienced gym-goers:

The only available machine for the "Pull-down" segment of the routine is a Lat Pull. Since I have to sit on this machine and can't perform the pulldown at the prescribed 45-degree angle, would a standard lat pulldown effectively target the intended muscle groups?
Transitions:
Take it easy. You are not in a competition. Since the location seems to be in a public gym, there will be times where someone else is using the particular machine and is oblivious to your own routine. Few extra seconds won`t make any difference.

Free weights vs. machines:
It depends what you are after and what your current abilities/capabilities are. For someone older, with health issues, movement limitations the machine routine will be an easier way. For someone younger enjoying reasonable health free weights will give more benefit in the long run. And let`s put this one to bed - machines are not inherently safer than free weights.

Pull-downs:
On a machine there are multiple ways on how to do this. Main goal is pulling the bar down using the back muscles. Lats should take the major load, followed by rhomboids and trapesius. Hands acts as hooks and arms as connection between your hooks and the actual working muscles. Naturally this is done with your back straight (sitting up straight). Introducing angle here is for few reasons. One - your movement is limited and angling your back backwards makes it easier (or even possible) to achieve the pull excercise. Two - you want to pull harder (more weight). Otherwise your back muscles will work just about the same whether straight or tilted.
Last one on the subject. Use the machine until you can do at least 3 consecutive pull ups (chin ups) on the pull up bar. From there onwards ditch the machine and work your pull ups to 10 repetitions in each of three sets.

Any additional question, just ask.

If you just started out, I wouldn't want to rush through and minimize rest periods, even if you're using machines. I think that the focus should be on proper from and technique. If your also doing some barbell compound exercises, in that case I especially wouldn't minimize rest periods as these are taxing on the body and CNS.

I wouldn't worry too much about sticking to a program completely, and I would adjust it to suit your personal life and preference up to a point. There aren't really any mandatory exercises, this would all depend on your goals. Lat Pulldowns, chest supported rows (dumbbell or T-bar), dumbbell rows, these can all be very effective for back training.

Back
Top Bottom