Candida- The Silent Epidemic

Gertrudes said:
Psyche gave a comprehensive program on how to use Nystatin powder. However, I have only been able to find it in tablets. I'm thinking of buying 500000 IU tablets and taking 1 pill 3 times a day. Should I start wit one pill for a few weeks and then progressively increase the dose? Also, how to stop? Should the dose also be decreased slowly?

Maybe you should have a look as well what is in these tablets, I thought nystatin is always the same and so blindly bought the tablets from one bigger pharma brand and well these tablets contained lactose and was one of the reasons I couldn't get better in the last weeks. :-[

Gawan said:
Maybe you should have a look as well what is in these tablets, I thought nystatin is always the same and so blindly bought the tablets from one bigger pharma brand and well these tablets contained lactose and was one of the reasons I couldn't get better in the last weeks. :-[

Oh boy....thanks for the heads up Gawan.
Hope you're feeling better!

Very inspirational info - with a roadmap - I've been suspicious for a while about candida in my own body & husband's, and am finally coming back to research the topic again. Thanks, this really rounded it out for me.

I have a question regarding the Candida Diet – dietary requirements include the elimination of all fermented foods. What does this specifically exclude?

In one way, I understand this as referencing the exclusion of alcohol, soy, bread & cheeses. What else does fermented include? Must you exclude sauerkraut and pickles (if they are traditionally whey/pro-biotic fermented not vinegar preserved)?

This is confusing for me, for example see below. Please let me be clear, I’m not looking for an argument for permission to consume beer, cheese, bread – my concern is grain prep & lacto-fermented veggies (which have tons of pro-biotics, and can be prepared without whey, but is whey a culprit anyway?):

_http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/candida.htm
Some candida books recommend eliminating all fermented foods such as cheese, wine, pickles and yeasted breads. This is usually unnecessary unless one is specifically allergic to all yeast. Candida albicans is very different from yeasts in bread, wine and cheese.

What about (non-gluten) grain preparation, which is called fermenting, such as in the following excerpt from a discussion on another thread “Is naturally fermented bread the way to avoid gluten toxicity?” http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=17483.0 It’s from a conversation about proper grain soaking to negate toxic phytic acid ingestion:

_http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/497-be-kind-to-your-grains.html

Be Kind to Your Grains...And Your Grains Will Be Kind To You

Written by Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, PhD
Saturday, 01 January 2000

Animals that nourish themselves on primarily on grain and other plant matter have as many as four stomachs. Their intestines are longer, as is the entire digestion transit time. Man, on the other hand, has but one stomach and a much shorter intestine compared to herbivorous animals. These features of his anatomy allow him to pass animal products before they putrefy in the gut but make him less well adapted to a diet high in grains—unless, of course, he prepares them properly. When grains are properly prepared through soaking, sprouting… the friendly bacteria of the microscopic world do some of our digesting for us in a container, just as these same lactobacilli do their work in the first and second stomachs of the herbivores.

A quick review of grain recipes from around the world will prove our point: In India, rice and lentils are fermented for at least two days before they are prepared as idli and dosas; in Africa the natives soak coarsely ground corn overnight before adding it to soups and stews and they ferment corn or millet for several days to produce a sour porridge called ogi; a similar dish made from oats was traditional among the Welsh; in some Oriental and Latin American countries rice receives a long fermentation before it is prepared; Ethiopians make their distinctive injera bread by fermenting a grain called teff for several days; Mexican corn cakes, called pozol, are fermented for several days and for as long as two weeks in banana leaves; before the introduction of commercial brewers yeast, Europeans made slow-rise breads from fermented starters; in America the pioneers were famous for their sourdough breads, pancakes and biscuits; and throughout Europe grains were soaked overnight, and for as long as several days, in water or soured milk before they were cooked and served as porridge or gruel. (Many of our senior citizens may remember that in earlier times the instructions on the oatmeal box called for an overnight soaking.)

Or is this more of a gluten and/or lectin issue (see below)? Or is this just unrelated to Candida, and only about Detox Diets?

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

The Lectin Report
Krispin Sullivan, CN

DEFINITION
Protein or glycoprotein substances, usually of plant origin, of non-immunoglobulin nature, capable of specific recognition of and reversible binding to, carbohydrate moieties of complex glycoconjugates without altering the covalent structure of any of the recognized glycosyl ligands. This group includes monovalent lectins (i.e. bacterial and plant toxins). These lectins bind to sugar moieties in cell walls or membranes and thereby change the physiology of the membrane to cause agglutination, mitosis, or other biochemical changes in the cell. (agglutination- clumping; mitosis-multiplication or division of a cell forming two daughter cells)
Lectins were first described in 1888 by Stillmark working with castor bean extracts. Many members of the lectinic protein family agglutinate (clump together) red blood cells. Research done by Ehrlich, considered to be the father of immunology, has shown that feeding small amounts of lectin containing seeds to rabbits caused partial immunity to the toxicity demonstrating lectins are also antigenic (able to induce antigen antibody reactions).

High levels of lectins (specialized proteins) may be found in grains (also known as cereals or pulses), legumes (that is 'beans' including peanuts), dairy and plants in the nightshade family. Many other foods contain lectins but are less well studied and the amounts of lectins present are not thought to be as high or as potentially toxic.

High levels of lectins (specialized proteins) may be found in grains (also known as cereals or pulses), legumes (that is 'beans' including peanuts), dairy and plants in the nightshade family. Many other foods contain lectins but are less well studied and the amounts of lectins present are not thought to be as high or as potentially toxic.

Lectins purified from the germinating seeds of wheat (Triticumspp.); bind to carbohydrate moieties on cell surface glycoproteins and are used to identify certain cell populations and inhibit or promote some immunological or physiological activities.

Lectins purified are used to determine one's blood type (ABO). Lectins from the castor bean are highly toxic and can kill if ingested in even small amounts. Lectins from kidney beans have been implicated as cause in an outbreak of 'food poisoning' with no known pathogen.

Think of a lectin as a protein containing a key that fits a certain type of lock. This lock is a specific type of carbohydrate. All life forms, plant and animal, insect and fungus have cell membranes that contain carbohydrates that sit within and project from the membrane. If a lectin with the right key comes in contact with one of these 'locks' on the gut wall or artery or gland or organ it 'opens the lock', that is disrupts the membrane and damages the cell and may initiate a cascade of immune and autoimmune events leading to cell death.

Lectins can be inactivated by specific carbohydrates (technically known as mono and oligosaccarides) which can bind the 'key' and prevent the protein from attaching to the carbohydrate 'lock' within the cell membrane. Glucosamine is specific for wheat lectin and it is this specificity that may protect the gut and cartilage from cell inflammation and destruction in wheat (or gluten) responsive arthritis.

While various foods and supplements may inactivate some of these toxic lectins it is impossible for such substances to protect the body from them completely. The safest path is avoidance of known toxic lectins. Common foods with known toxic lectins include all soy and wheat products including oils from these substances.

HifromGrace said:
What about (non-gluten) grain preparation, which is called fermenting, [...]

Or is this more of a gluten and/or lectin issue (see below)? Or is this just unrelated to Candida, and only about Detox Diets? [...]

This fermenting is "pre-digesting" that saves trouble for our digestive systems. It is related to "neutralizing" lectins, thus with the detox diet, and not to candida diets.

Happy fermenting :)

For the anti-candida diet, I prefer to stay away from all yeast, except for those which are anti-candida. But you can try including sauerkraut and pickles, if your recipe is sugar free :)

Psyche said:
This fermenting is "pre-digesting" that saves trouble for our digestive systems. It is related to "neutralizing" lectins, thus with the detox diet, and not to candida diets.

Happy fermenting :)

For the anti-candida diet, I prefer to stay away from all yeast, except for those which are anti-candida. But you can try including sauerkraut and pickles, if your recipe is sugar free :)

You're awesome - thanks for the help!

I have been doing a lot of reading in the diet section and I have a question. Diet is my weakest area at present. I can say it is mostly likely I have candida. That being the case,is it best to start with this diet first before I address anything else? Is there something else I should do before I attempt to handle this? I am starting from scratch.

EmeraldHope said:
I have been doing a lot of reading in the diet section and I have a question. Diet is my weakest area at present. I can say it is mostly likely I have candida. That being the case,is it best to start with this diet first before I address anything else? Is there something else I should do before I attempt to handle this? I am starting from scratch.

It is best to start with the elimination diet: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

Here is a modified and updated version: http://eiriu-eolas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14
(The posts that follow explain how to test foods and how to transition from the elimination diet.)

Psyche said:
EmeraldHope said:

It is best to start with the elimination diet: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

Here is a modified and updated version: http://eiriu-eolas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14
(The posts that follow explain how to test foods and how to transition from the elimination diet.)

Thank you so much, Psyche

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to let you know that everyone who has Alopecia problems , better first address CANDIDA !!
After 4 years of fight I finally found that (at least in my case , but I think it works for everyone ) Alopecia is a caused by chronic liver inflammation which in turn is caused by Candida - my case

BONUS for beer lovers :lol:

-- If you drink a lot of beer , you will surely loose all hair --

Quick question: would a capsule of 2.4billion probiotics taken after a nystatin tablet be enough, or should I take 2 capsules (approximately 5 billion) every 30m after taking nystatin?

Gertrudes said:
Quick question: would a capsule of 2.4billion probiotics taken after a nystatin tablet be enough, or should I take 2 capsules (approximately 5 billion) every 30m after taking nystatin?

2.4 sounds good. Alternatively you can take 2 capsules of probiotics but only with two doses of nystatin (the rest of your nystatin doses, you don't take anything). If you get nauseated with the nystatin, you can eat right away.

Thank you Psyche. I have a doubt though:

Psyche said:
2.4 sounds good. Alternatively you can take 2 capsules of probiotics but only with two doses of nystatin (the rest of your nystatin doses, you don't take anything). If you get nauseated with the nystatin, you can eat right away.

Does that mean that if I take 2 doses of nystatin I only take probiotics once in a day? So that would mean 5 billion a day, is that what you mean?

Gertrudes said:
Thank you Psyche. I have a doubt though:

Psyche said:

Does that mean that if I take 2 doses of nystatin I only take probiotics once in a day? So that would mean 5 billion a day, is that what you mean?

Remember that you have to take nystatin 4 times a day. Less can create resistance. If you take 4 doses of nystatin, you can take probiotics with 2 doses of them.

If you find that 4 doses of nystatin makes you feel sick, you can try taking 3 doses, but take colloidal silver or garlic supplements (or raw) as a fourth dose. That will keep the yeast at bay.

Back
Top Bottom