Carrageenan linked to tumors. Almond milk drinkers take note.

Mrs. Peel said:
Megan said:
I haven't found packaged almond milk that doesn't have carrageenan in the stores where I shop, so I have been buying rice milk. Rice Dream doesn't contain carrageenan, and that's about the only one I have checked that doesn't.

Hi,

Doesn't the Rice Dream have a lot of sugar in it? I've yet to find commercial rice milk without any sugars. The Almond Breeze is the only "milk" I've been able to find without sugar (but with the carrageenan unfortunately).

Good luck on that. I am not sure that you are going to find one.

If you want an excellent rice milk with no sugar why don't you try the Mrs. Peel rice milk. :D

Thanks for all the stuff Gandalf, et al! I have big GI's today :cry:
This one also includes Almond Milk Ice Cream!!! Oooooooo

http://www.veganreader.com/2009/09/12/almond-milk-recipe-the-creamiest-of-them-all/

Gandalf said:

If you want an excellent rice milk with no sugar why don't you try the Mrs. Peel rice milk. :D

Um, I don't get it? :huh:

Mrs. Peel said:
Gandalf said:

He was saying that you should try your own rice milk. :)

3D Student said:
Mrs. Peel said:
Gandalf said:

He was saying that you should try your own rice milk. :)

That's it. :cool2:

I have been doing mine since last year (rice, oat, almond...) and it is just delicious and I know that everything in it is good.

Gandalf said:
That's it. :cool2:

I have been doing mine since last year (rice, oat, almond...) and it is just delicious and I know that everything in it is good.

OH! You got to be kidding. :rotfl: I'm lucky that I can wrestle up a batch of buckwheat pancakes, and it took me about five tries before I could even get them out of the skillet in one piece. Cooking is way too much work. But it's the clean-up I really hate. :lol:

:mad:
Dammit all, I really like(d) my almond breeze. This years now, after learning of the perils of soy milk.
:rolleyes:
Here I go again...back to the drawing board for a milk alternative.
Great to have all the resources available to draw on from the previous posts, that's for sure.

Amelopsis said:
:mad:
Dammit all, I really like(d) my almond breeze. This years now, after learning of the perils of soy milk.
:rolleyes:
Here I go again...back to the drawing board for a milk alternative.
Great to have all the resources available to draw on from the previous posts, that's for sure.

If you really like almond milk, have you thought about making it ?

It is quite easy and so delicious.

Have a look at that thread: Home made almond milk

I just made some from slivered almonds. It was really easy, except that i tried to roast the almonds for 10 minutes before - first batch was burned as i was not paying attention - seems 10 minutes is too long or my oven is too hot. :(

Second batch was fine - but I now have this almond mush leftover and was wondering if it can be used in baking - hate to throw it out as it seems fine. Anyone ever added this to a recipe - or used it in the morning shake?
aleana

Gandalf said:
If you really like almond milk, have you thought about making it ?

It is quite easy and so delicious.

Have a look at that thread: Home made almond milk

I'm not too proud to admit that it's out of sheer convenience (read: laziness?) that I've not made my own already. It just seems there are so many things (strictly speaking of food and household care & cleaning) with which to take just a bit more time and effort ... this is just one more, and there is only so much time in a day.

I'm glad you've pointed out the other thread though - the recipes in this one do have me rather motivated to at least try it before I decide it's too much effort; after all, this carrageenan nonsense just cannot stand to be continued with.
While I'm on a roll complaining :cool2:...I'm conflicted about what to do with the cases of it I so happily snatched up while they were on sale after the price had skyrocketed.
Sheesh.

Hemp Bliss hemp milk has no carrageenan. It has an unsweetened variety with no added sweeteners and an "original" with not so much sugar. The plain vanilla does have a lot of sugar, though.

Mrs. Peel said:
...Doesn't the Rice Dream have a lot of sugar in it? I've yet to find commercial rice milk without any sugars. The Almond Breeze is the only "milk" I've been able to find without sugar (but with the carrageenan unfortunately).
I don't think so. I don't see it on the label. It is mainly filtered water and organic brown rice. I think the rice itself may provide some sweetness. The only thing I see in the ingredient list that I would rather not see is canola oil, down at the bottom.

It's important to look at the nutritional info, not the ingredients. Just look for the number of grams of sugars per serving. Hemp Bliss Vanilla hempmilk is too sweet for me, since I'm cutting way back on sugar, at 13 grams an 8 oz. serving. Their Original flavor, has 6 grams, not bad. Unsweetened is best for me at zero, but it doesn't taste as good :(

Rice Dream Original, by contrast has 10 grams of sugar. You're right, there is no added sugar, but it must be the rice syrup that is naturally in rice broth. Rice Dream Vanilla has 12 grams of sugar. But still no added sugars, must be more concentrated.

Megan said:
Mrs. Peel said:
...Doesn't the Rice Dream have a lot of sugar in it? I've yet to find commercial rice milk without any sugars. The Almond Breeze is the only "milk" I've been able to find without sugar (but with the carrageenan unfortunately).
I don't think so. I don't see it on the label. It is mainly filtered water and organic brown rice. I think the rice itself may provide some sweetness. The only thing I see in the ingredient list that I would rather not see is canola oil, down at the bottom.

I have found that I am quite sensitive to high amounts of sugar, but I have not noticed any reaction to Rice Dream. For me, it depends on both the amount and the kind of sugar. Double-bond sugars (e.g. sucrose) seem to cause a lot more trouble than simple sugars (e.g. fructose). At some point, though, I might try making my own nut/grain milk again.

The fallacy that no Almond milk on the market is w/o carrageenan is incorrect. Silk Almond milk has no added carrageenan
whatsoever. Check your facts folks.

Merlin

Back
Top Bottom