Coconut yoghurt

Jones

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
One of the things I've missed since heavily reducing dairy in my diet is yoghurt. Coconut yoghurt available in the supermarkets and it's very nice, but I wondered about making my own since I usually only buy it as a treat these days.

The simplest recipe calls for just two ingredients - a can of coconut cream and two probiotic capsules the contents of which are stirred into the cream. After they're mixed together, the mix is allowed to sit for 24hrs before refrigerating. Some recipes called for that to be done at room temperature, others suggested the use of a hot water bath yoghurt maker. My yoghurt maker is in storage, so I improvised and used a stainless steel boiler that I part filled with hot water, placed an upturned bowl in the bottom of it for the glass jar of yoghurt to sit on and then placed the whole lot into an insulated shopping bag for 24hrs.

I don't mind a very tart yoghurt, so I doubled up on the probiotic capsules.

I'm pleased with the results and find it very satisfying, though compared to shop bought it's a bit grainy in texture. Some of the more complicated recipes call for straining the cream and putting the retained coconut meat through a high speed blender to make it creamier, others call for the addition of gelatin. At this stage I'm happy with the basic two step process and it's yummy!

Mmmmm, I love coconut yogurt; only discovered it recently when looking for healthy fats... but gosh it is expensive. I've been checking out some home made recipes for this too ( :umm:Jones, are you reading my mind?? Maybe it's related to mosaic consciousness:lol:).

Some of the recipes sure are a bit complicated; like you I am keen on a simple method.
Phew, the heat we have had in Australia would sure make it easy to do the bench top version!

I love coconut yogurt with curry...

Real vanilla (pod derived) is a yummy addition to plain coconut yogurt, if that's your scene.
I sometimes have co yog for breakfast with some nuts, a little fruit and toasted coconut chips... yum!
(Have had to introduce more carbs and a bit of fruit to my keto diet.)

Recently I added blueberries/raspberries/vanilla/mint to coconut yogurt and froze into very pretty ice-blocks.
A refreshing healthy desert/snack in summer. Texture is different from ice cream but pretty yummy!

:flowers:

Real vanilla (pod derived) is a yummy addition to plain coconut yogurt, if that's your scene.

The supermarket brand that I've bought has vanilla bean in it and it's yummy. I tossed up the idea of adding vanilla to my home- made stuff and decided against it for the first try. Thing I like about coconut is that it's low carb and I'm not sure yet how many carbs vanilla bean will add.

In some of the recipes they say that you can reserve some of your first batch to be the starter culture for your next batch so if making it regularly, probiotic capsules may not be needed each time.

Also if buying cans of 100% coconut cream, it's not a huge saving to make the yoghurt yourself - 900g of cocobella coconut yoghurt is $9 - 10 here - so really only saving a dollar or two to make a similar amount, but the thing that I like about it is that I can lay up some cans of coconut cream in case that's one of the things that disappear from supermarket shelves!

I've mainly missed yoghurt for midday meals in summer where I really enjoy having something cold and wet to eat.

Back
Top Bottom