Comet C/2012 S1 - ISON

Re: Comet C/2012 S1

Other than comet ISON and PANSTARRS C/2011 L4, it seems we have another very interesting guest star: Comet Lemmon (C/2012 F6).
This later looks quite greenish _http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=76064 and crossing its debris fields could be "interesting".

Comets of 2013 and Astrology

To find the ecliptical positions of the comets of 2013...
Astrology freewares to download:

PANSTARRS C/2011 L4 Astrology Viewer
_http://www.inner-sky.com/panstarrsastrology.html

ISON Comet of 2013 Astrology Viewer
_http://www.inner-sky.com/isonastrology.html

Re: Comets of 2013 and Astrology

Hi Pollux,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

If i remember correctly C's said that comet cluster will appear as single object at first... so one of this or other comets to follow could instead be a cluster - and maybe the one approaching much much faster (again according to C's)...

mkrnhr said:
Other than comet ISON and PANSTARRS C/2011 L4, it seems we have another very interesting guest star: Comet Lemmon (C/2012 F6).
This later looks quite greenish _http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=76064 and crossing its debris fields could be "interesting".

That is greenish!

Yozilla said:
If i remember correctly C's said that comet cluster will appear as single object at first... so one of this or other comets to follow could instead be a cluster - and maybe the one approaching much much faster (again according to C's)...
For the moment it doesn't look like a comet cluster. However, what might be surprising is the sudden arrival of black comets that do not glow sufficiently to be visible.

Comet ISON

I'm new to this forum and I do not know if these questions have been asked and answered.

Is Comet ISON the cometary cluster the C's have referred to and is it coming in on the Gravity Wave? Will the Gravity Wave make the Sun to go dark for 3 days?

Re: Comet ISON

Hi Pacunawah,

Welcome to the forum! It's customary for new members to introduce themselves here. Just a bit about yourself and how you found the forum. You can see how others have done it on that board. In the meantime, the search box on the upper right of the page is your friend. :) There's a lot of material to find in different threads.

Happy reading!

Re: Comet ISON

Pacunawah said:
I'm new to this forum and I do not know if these questions have been asked and answered.

Is Comet ISON the cometary cluster the C's have referred to and is it coming in on the Gravity Wave? Will the Gravity Wave make the Sun to go dark for 3 days?

At this point, who knows?

No, we haven't asked about it specifically.

We do not know that The Wave is necessarily a gravity wave.

If the sun "goes dark" it will be due to a dust veil on the earth.

You might want to read my latest book "Comets and the Horns of Moses."

Laura,

Currently, I'm reading your "Wave" series and "The Secret History of the World". I will get your "Comets and the Horns of Moses" next.

Regarding your comment "If the sun "goes dark" it will be due to a dust veil on the earth". I find what NASA has posted on there site about Comet ISON very Interesting.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/19apr_isonids/

April 19, 2013: Anticipation is building as Comet ISON plunges into the inner solar system for a close encounter with the sun in November 2013. Blasted at point-blank range by solar radiation, the sungrazer will likely become one of the finest comets in many years.

When NASA's Swift spacecraft observed the comet in January 2013, it was still near the orbit of Jupiter, but already very active. More than 112,000 pounds of dust were spewing from the comet's nucleus every minute.

It turns out, some of that dust might end up on Earth.

The posting also goes on to say the following;

When Earth passes through the debris stream, we will encounter two populations of comet dust. One swarm of dust will be following the Comet ISON into the sun. Another swarm will be moving in the opposite direction, pushed away from the sun by solar radiation pressure. The streams will pepper opposite sides of Earth simultaneously.

Currently earth only receives about 40 tons of dust daily. Basic math says that Comet ISON's 24 hour output of dust is 80,640 tons. Would three days of that hitting our atmosphere be enough to block out the Sun?

most interesting part for me is how much electric charge from sun this dust will carry? It will not be a em filed echange ratio. It will be direct transport od sun charges into earth atmosfere and electric field. If a sun storm has an efect as aurora. I can only imagine how charged solid like dust can effect our atmosfere and magnetosfere. Probably incredible seeing.

Actually ISON is not easily observable because as seen from the Earth, it is almost behind the Sun (towards the costellation Gemini). So far the comet behaved as expected. Things could become more interesting in the next few months, especially in October when the comet passes close to Mars. Other than the comet itself, the electromagnetic behavior of the Sun and the comet reaction to it will be interesting to monitor as things will unfold very fast. The survival of the comet after the close encounter with the Sun is of course still an open question, so for the moment, wait and see and enjoy the show :)

Pacunawah said:
Currently earth only receives about 40 tons of dust daily. Basic math says that Comet ISON's 24 hour output of dust is 80,640 tons. Would three days of that hitting our atmosphere be enough to block out the Sun?

This is assuming that ISON is the only culprit responsible for the direct blackout from dust fallout. but over the years we found too many things are happening - more meteors, more sun discharges due to intruding bodies into solar systems, more volcano's waking up, ever expanded cloud coverages from super storms etc. For reference, you can see the news that earth size storms in Jupiter. Volcano's can create much bigger blackout than comet dust alone. of course NASA will say it as a once in million year event, surprise, surprise etc.

One interesting detail about comet ISON is the remarkable similarity of its orbit to that of the great comet of 1680. Here are some orbital elements of these two objects according to different epochs though:

Name q e i w Node
C/1680 V1 0.00622200 0.99998600 60.67840 350.61280 276.63390
C/2012 S1 0.01249998 1.00000404 61.88193 345.51162 295.73354

q: Perihelion distance, e: Orbital Eccentricity, i: Inclination to ecliptic, w: Argument of perihelion, Node: Longitude of the ascending node.

It wouldn't be too unreasonable to consider what may have happenend back then, even if the actual (and future) conditions are not exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom