Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

Re: Cryogenic Chamber Therapy

For all the people trying the cold baths and showers, Dr. Kruse recommends having a protein and fat meal right before the cold exposure. This makes it more tolerable. I've noticed this myself. Taking a cold bath on an empty stomach is not cool at all.

from http://jackkruse.com/the-evolution-of-the-leptin-rx/
0. You first must chose what environment you want to cold adapt too. The physics of heat loss following cold water immersion dictate a more rapid drop in surface and core temperature than from exposure to a cold air environment. So most people will choose to use water because it works a lot faster. Before you start, always eat a high fat (MCT>saturated fats>MUFA’s>PUFA’s) and/or protein meal right before you attempt to cold adapt. Also drink 16-32 oz. of ice cold water immediately prior to the test no matter what stage you are at. Why you ask? Your body temperature is incredibly hot at approximately 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, and ice water is approximately 40 degrees Fahrenheit. In order to maintain this homeostasis, your body has to bring that ice water up by about 60 degrees, and, by definition, it takes 1 calorie to raise the temperature of 1 liter of water by approximately 2 degrees Fahrenheit. That means that to raise the temperature of 1 liter of ice water by 60 degrees Fahrenheit, your body would burn about 30 calories. Two liters, which is about eight glasses of water, would burn 60 calories. Do not drink more than 32 oz of water before this test because cold adaptation also effects our thirst centers. You should always consider drinking cold liquids as part of your dietary plan as it can increase your metabolic rate by 30-40%. If you get a lot of brain freezes when you drink cold things this might signal you suffer with a high tissue omega six level. You need to proceed with caution while trying to apply cold thermogenesis. You will see why your omega 6 level matter soon.

I usually will do my training in the AM at sunrise or at night fall after dinner. I do not recommend trying this on an empty stomach. In the beginning of my adaptation I also used Bitter Melon extract to cold adapt. The reason is that bitter melon appears to be quite effective at causing formation of BAT from WAT especially in T2D or those with metabolic syndrome. No one knows why it really works but I believe it is has to do with the simultaneous loss of adiponectin and leptin from fat cells with the simultaneous induction of Irisin from the cold stimulus on the skin and subcutaneous fat.

Don Genaro said:
Gertrudes, I was checking out Jack Kruse's CT forum and your comment reminded me of this post where people were asking if hot showers etc. would have a negative effect on cold adaptation:

He was fine with people taking hot showers, warm baths, etc, just don't do it to warm up after a CT session.
I guess the meaning here is for the warming up to be natural and not artificially induced?

You can read the full thread here: _http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?187-Does-Exposure-to-Heat-UNDO-any-of-the-Cold-Adaptation-Goodness

That makes sense, thank you for pointing that out Don Genaro.

I had previously said that my hair seemed stronger and brighter although I wasn't sure that it was my imagination, well, I just found this:

_http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/04/4-reasons-why-you-need-to-take-cold-showers/ said:
3- Healthier hair
Cold water makes your hair look healthier and shinier. As a matter of fact, cool air makes your hair shinier too (that's why there is a cool air button on your hair dryer). What the cold water does is that it closes the cuticle which makes the hair stronger and prevents dirt from easily accumulating within your scalp. Basically, the same principle with how it closes the pores of your skin as mentioned above. Stronger hair, of course, prevents hair from being easily pulled out when you are combing, and it helps in slowing down overall hair loss.

Since I have very long hair I got used to having it pulled quite easily as well as to some degree of hair loss. Since having started the cold showers my hair actually feels thicker and there's barely any loss. A nice side effect :)

Odyssey said:
For all the people trying the cold baths and showers, Dr. Kruse recommends having a protein and fat meal right before the cold exposure. This makes it more tolerable. I've noticed this myself. Taking a cold bath on an empty stomach is not cool at all.

I had read that before but think that I'll give that one a miss. If there is one thing that has always stopped my digestion since being a child is drinking or going under cold water after having eaten. It has always ended up in disaster, so I'll keep doing them as the very first thing in the morning before breakfast.

In fact, I'm starting to look forward for that morning shower!

I am on my fourth day of cold showers.

I start the shower with warm water to soap up. I found that if I got into the shower with the water running cold I didn't soap up effectively. As soon as I'm soaped up, I turn the hot water off completely. I initially found that the most sensitive areas of my body were my chest and upper back. So I would have either directly under the jet of water as I turned the hot water off. While I can't say that I look forward to the cold shower yet, I am finding that my tolerance to it seems to be increasing and I'm not in such a hurry to get out.

I'm already seeing an improvement in my sleep habits which is really nice.

Here is a little on the business side of things:

Received a package from Millennium that relates to service of their “Cryosauna” in an attempt to see if this would be viable where we live as my partner has a Clinique, yet it a small space. Millennium discusses how, based on short time durations of treatments, some services provide up to 30 treatments a day. Each treatment uses about 15 liters of nitrogen and a 30 cubic foot cylinder holds just < 850 liters (compressed) @ $1.00 liter. They describe the following:

Tested applications:
- Performance management and rehabilitation in sports;
- Rheumatology and orthopaedy;
- Dermatology and burn treatment;
- Treating immunity deficiencies, blood circulation problems, digestive disfunction, fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, insomnia;
- Dealing with intoxications and physical addictions;
- Beauty care.

And

Cryosauna is NOT a medical device. It requires neither FDA approval, nor any specific licensing or certification. Cryosauna works best if combined with workouts, healthy nutrition, massage, different therapeutic or beauty treatments, as might be appropriate.

So not sure yet how this would work with Health Canada or more locally, Ministry of Health in BC.

The other aspect is the costs and here is what they say:

Purchase implies paying a full price in 2 parts: 50% upfront and 50% upon installation. No specific licensing or certification requirements apply. No inflammation, explosion or environment contamination risks are involved. The necessary training to operate a cabin and personnel certification will be provided by Millennium ICE team upon installation.

The cost of three different models ranges 50K +/- (US) and they have leasing options.

Of Leasing:

When to lease? Lease will serve you well if you are not ready to make an about $ 50 000 initial investment or to take the related risks, but already have established operation and a stable client base that makes you confident about the number of treatments you could sell. Lease option will provide you with good ROI and freedom to define your own pricing and promotion policies.

They also have what is called “Revenue Share” option, which your payments then become incremental with your sales after the initial down payment.

Of the service:

Every agreement is also a full service contract – we deliver, install, train the people, provide maintenance and a corporate contact to purchase nitrogen.

In BC (Vancouver) they say they have an office there, but did not get that impression reading other posts.

Of training:

Training of your staff:
- Only properly trained personnel is allowed to provide treatments;
- Training and certification of two operators is covered by the down-payment;
- Additional staff can be trained on request for additional $ 400, if one person, $ 300/person, if two, and $ 250/person, if three or more;
- Certificate is valid for 2 years.

Of pricing (discussed here too):

We recommend REGULAR price range from $ 70 to $ 100 per treatment, depending on number of procedures by the same customer - average price in the US is $ 75 per treatment;

They talk about how in the US there are some antagonists who claim the dangers of Cyrotherapy (the gas) and they provide rational against them.

They talk about Electric unites that some promote:

If you come across electric operated cryodevices…:
Pay attention to the temperatures created and maintained during the treatment. Cryotherapy requires reaching -166 F or below and maintaining it until the end of the treatment. Cryotherapy related studies simply cannot be referenced if the required temperatures are not met. Nitrogen is the only known source of sufficient cold to provide cryotreatments. Neither one of electric operated devices produces the desired recovery effect within the body, as they provide cold therapy – very different from cryotherapy in nature and in the results achieved.

So that is about where things are with this firm. One of the things thinking about, being a relatively small community, have to think about all of a sudden other local and better positioned proprietors following suite, it would be a good thing for people, but could impact ones investment, so proprietary geographic areas might need to be explored, which does not rule out other manufacturers.

To day I see DR. Kruse web site has some announcemnt asking ppl to become members. well some free, some not. and the following conversation makes me wonder is dr. kruse is getting influenced or simple logical business promotion like mercola ?. We have seen ponerisation ( attack /lesson from general law ) in every useful part of affairs on this planet. Since we r going in this CT direction , thought of mentioning.

March 28th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Just a note to blog readers:

This weekend, Dr. Jack Kruse is going to be speaking at TEDxNashville. A special thanks to all those who went to the TEDxNashville facebook page (www.facebook.com/tedxnashville) to request that they bring Jack in for the event. The enthusiasm shown by those who, like me, have been empowered by Jack’s work really made a difference for the organizers of the event.

When Jack told me what he was gonna reveal, I was blown away. This talk is gonna be huge, and I’m excited for the community to have a video to share with others to “paint the picture” and expose them to the life-changing experiments Jack has undertaken in an effort to help us all create optimal health and longevity.

I’d love to stir up some buzz for Jack. If you could share this press release with anyone you know who is an influencer or “sneezer,” as Seth Godin would say, that would be so helpful. Media contacts (internet, television, local and national), talk radio hosts, bloggers, leaders in healthcare, alternative health practitioners (these people love Jack’s ideas, as they’re so aligned with many of their teachings), Paleo teachers / practitioners, personal trainers, and anyone else you can think of who can help expose others to Jack’s ideas need to see this press release!

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and support. We’re changing healthcare by the will of the people!

March 28th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

@Misty Thanks to you and Michael Hart for making this happen.

As usual ppl are excited for taking on the establishment and Jack responses understandably enthusiastic, but doesn't seem cautious inview of the beast he is taking on. Did he read political ponerology ?
edit: unnecessary highlights removed

seek10 said:
To day I see DR. Kruse web site has some announcemnt asking ppl to become members. well some free, some not. and the following conversation makes me wonder is dr. kruse is getting influenced or simple logical business promotion like mercola ?. We have seen ponerisation ( attack /lesson from general law ) in every useful part of affairs on this planet. Since we r going in this CT direction , thought of mentioning...

Ditto. But then every source we use here has issues. I think it is important to culture and maintain a healthy skepticism toward all sources.

I have really appreciated some of his tweets. :)

I'd like to say that the membership option on Kruse's site is just a saavy business move but that could be wishful thinking. He does seem to be the only (?) MD who's into both the whole paleo and cryo bit and has the knowledge to "biohack" folks.

I'm expecting to see a big backlash against cold therapy like we're seeing a backlash on low carb in the paleosphere nowadays.

I do look forward to his book though.

This is a fascinating topic. Thank you Psyche, Laura, et. al. for your work. Reading these threads and Kruse’s work, I realize that for the last two years, since I have been doing the Paleo diet—cutting out wheat and dairy to began with and then the last six months the very low carb, moderate protein, and high fat of the true Paleo, that I have been naturally cold adapting on my own without being conscious of it. During this time I have noticed that I require fewer clothes to work outside in the cold, am more comfortable with my home heat set at 68 degrees F, and am much more sensitive to overheating. My normal body temp is 97.6 and has been for years, even before the Paleo conversion. When I do notice the cold, something seems to kick in and I warm up very fast and am able to maintain feeling comfortable with fewer clothes than before the diet changes.

This research has caused me to think about how I have adapted to living in different climates over the years. As a child in Michigan, and ever since, with the exception of the two years I lived in Hawaii, I have always had horses and sometimes other livestock to take care of so I am always working outside, morning and evening, every day of the year regardless of the weather, so I have become quite sensitive to knowing temp, humidity, etc.

As a teenager in Michigan during the winters of the 60s and 70s, when it would freeze over and have ice and snow on the ground from Nov-Apr, I remember standing at the bus stop at the end of our icy driveway in platform shoes, pantyhose, and a mini skirt, with only a jacket, (would not be caught dead in a hat and gloves! :cool2:), and not really noticing the cold. I remember taking a moonlight horseback ride in 10 degrees F and snow (no wind) and feeling fine.

In my 20s and 30s I spent about ten consecutive years living in Hawaii, Florida, and S. Texas and became comfortable working and playing outdoors in extreme heat. When I had to move to Tacoma Wa. I thought I would die of the cold and wore long underwear everywhere for two years after which I became adapted to the almost constant 55 degree and misty weather and enjoyed the coolness.

Now I live in Mid-Atlantic and have both, short burst of very cold and damp in the winter, and very hot and humid summers. I can feel my body adapting to the seasonal changes to heat, which usually happen like a light switch, with some tiredness for a day or two until the cooling system kicks in. I notice I seem to handle the switch to cold quicker than the adaptation to high heat. I have never been one to feel at my peak in the hot weather—it is always with the first burst of coolness in the Fall that I come alive.

One other interesting thing that happens, and I would like to know why, is when I first go out in cold weather my hands will get cold, but when they get cold enough for me to notice and feel it consciously, then they warm up very fast and will continue to radiate heat in all but the most extreme wind and freezing conditions. I do not like to work in gloves and will avoid them in all but the most extreme wind blizzard conditions. Even then my hands will warm faster if I take the gloves off sometimes.

I usually take cool showers in the summer, and have been rinsing my face and feet in cold water at the end of my showers for a couple of years, but I am just now beginning to lower the temperature of my showers now to get to cold showers and iced tub soaks—although I confess I am in no big hurry and not that brave. It is one thing to tolerate cold on the hands and face and another to submerge the nether parts in ice water! :P It is amazing what we are learning here—the dots just keep getting closer!
Thank you all again for the research.
shellycheval

I've been doing cold showers for two weeks now. I also sometimes run cold water from the shower head over my head in the morning, which is quite mind clearing. I take my showers in the evening as well.

The water I measured at 56 degrees F. I'm thinking that because there is air moving in the shower, it gets a little colder, like a windchill. I have it down to where I start the shower with mostly cold and three "notches" of the warm shower knob. You could also measure the angle and get a constant amount of warm water. Then I bring it down to two notches, then one and wash normally. Then I bring it to 0, or full cold at 56 degrees and just let it hit different body parts.

It is necessary to breathe through the mouth when I turn down the warm. Kind of hard to breathe through the nose when it's hitting my face. Sometimes I will think, "I hate this." But I also think, "It is what it is." and "This is not cold (yet)." Eventually it gets tolerable at full cold and doesn't seem cold anymore. I've noticed at that point, when one side is in the cold, the unexposed part of my skin feels warm, a little hot even.

When I get out I notice that my skin feels tight. Especially at the sensitive areas: my head, belly, and top of the back. And for 30 minutes afterward it seems that there is some constriction in my chest or heart, like my blood flow is different.

Sometimes I have felt overly tired in the morning after. Like I didn't hear my alarm for 15 minutes tired. When I take the shower close to bedtime it makes me more sleepy in the morning. Also when tired, it's hard to get in a cold shower.

I haven't come to the point where I enjoy it, but it is bearable. I'm not a cold person. However, in my teens and when I weighed 50+ pounds more, I really liked the cold. I would put a fan in my window in the winter so I could go to sleep in a cold and comfy bed. Now I wear socks and a blanket and will cross my legs if I'm cold.

I've been doing the "cold" shower for about 2 weeks. I put "cold" in double quote because it is not really cold now where I live. Even when I do it late in the evening, it's about 19-20 C. Anyway, it's still been a big change since I've always taken hot shower in my life. My experience was very similar to what others experienced, only milder. At first, there was a shock to the body from the cold. Nevertheless, near the end of each shower, I got to the point of feeling no cold at all, and almost enjoying it.

Last weekend, I decided to advance to cold bath, i.e. immersing myself in cold water. In the first attempt on Saturday, I lied in the water and did the pipe breathing. I had to sit up to recover after each 12 pipe breathing because I was shaking so much. However, on Sunday, it was already quite different. I quickly got used to the cold water and eventually lied in there for about 10 mins.

Because the water was not very cold, I haven't noticed anything different except that I seem to tolerate cold (chilling wind late in the night, for example) much better. It's getting into the winter here so I'm going to continue with this throughout the winter. Will report here if I notice anything interesting.

I have been doing this for a week. Not so pleasant as of now. Lot of shaking after doing or while doing. couple of days I pushed my self directly into cold water with out little warming up, It is a sort of big shock and later I was scared to take a bath ( as if traumatised). so I starting with warm up ( or nuetral ) the water first and then change slowly remove hot water and increase the coldness . It is refreshing at the same time It is scary. At max. my skin becomes little red. Not yet at the level complete red or purple Dr. Kruse suggests.

I also tried the putting the head in ice cold water suggested by Dr. Kruse, I ended up puting my head in cold water ( 42F) with clip to the nose ( to avoid water going into nose). But after 30 seconds or so, my eyes starts hurting and breathing becomes difficult, so I take some break and then do it again. Dr Kruse says that is fine.

Other things I was doing is, switching of Heater in the apartment that makes room temperature of 67F and putting max AC and max Fan during commuting time , going out with out jacket in 45F weather. Trying to sleep with out having big blanket. I am not totally adjusted in any way. I got jacket ( with ice cubes ) that Dr Kruse suggested, doesn't yet have the courage yet to put it on.

People are complaining that I am becoming too slim, dry skin also increased. Started taking large breakfast with in 30 min after waking up, but after taking bath, I feel very hungry.

I just tried my first cold shower. I did it all cold from start to finish- ZOWIE :scared:

I have been done for about 30 minutes now and I must say, I feel really alert and refreshed. I do not know that I am looking forward to the next one though. I have really long hair so the worst part was getting all of the shampoo out, but near the end it wasn't so bad- like getting adjusted to cold water in a swimming pool.

Jones said:
I am on my fourth day of cold showers.

I start the shower with warm water to soap up. I found that if I got into the shower with the water running cold I didn't soap up effectively. As soon as I'm soaped up, I turn the hot water off completely. I initially found that the most sensitive areas of my body were my chest and upper back. So I would have either directly under the jet of water as I turned the hot water off. While I can't say that I look forward to the cold shower yet, I am finding that my tolerance to it seems to be increasing and I'm not in such a hurry to get out.

I'm already seeing an improvement in my sleep habits which is really nice.

I have been taking cold showers for about one week now, although I need to start with lukewarm water to wash my hair. It is getting easier, and while I don’t exactly look forward to it, I have noticed that I am much more relaxed afterward. I have also noticed that when i have the water as cold as it will go, that my body seems to heat up in response, so i have not had trouble shivering. I have also noticed increased alertness, which has made me think that hot showers and baths, like so many of other things we take for granted as being good do, in fact, just make it easier for us to “sleep”.

I have also been trying to tolerate the extreme air conditioning in my office without layering with sweaters, and I do think it is getting better, although I still really enjoy the outside warmth when I leave. It may take some time.

What I have been wondering is how we will know if real changes are occurring or if they will not become apparent until we are able to withstand ice cold baths. With the switch to the paleo diet, there was discernible difference due to weight loss and the improvement in long-standing health issues. I am still working my way through all the articles on Dr. Kruse’s website, so some of this may be answered. Other than the improvement in relaxation and alertness, I am not sure what to look for to determine when cold adaptation is beginning. Of course, here it is almost summer, so it will be interesting to see how moving from the cold to outdoor heat will work. Is my understanding correct, that once adapted, we will be able to tolerate both extremes?

seek10 said:
I have been doing this for a week. Not so pleasant as of now. Lot of shaking after doing or while doing. couple of days I pushed my self directly into cold water with out little warming up, It is a sort of big shock and later I was scared to take a bath ( as if traumatised). so I starting with warm up ( or nuetral ) the water first and then change slowly remove hot water and increase the coldness . It is refreshing at the same time It is scary. At max. my skin becomes little red. Not yet at the level complete red or purple Dr. Kruse suggests.

I also tried the putting the head in ice cold water suggested by Dr. Kruse, I ended up puting my head in cold water ( 42F) with clip to the nose ( to avoid water going into nose). But after 30 seconds or so, my eyes starts hurting and breathing becomes difficult, so I take some break and then do it again. Dr Kruse says that is fine.

Other things I was doing is, switching of Heater in the apartment that makes room temperature of 67F and putting max AC and max Fan during commuting time , going out with out jacket in 45F weather. Trying to sleep with out having big blanket. I am not totally adjusted in any way. I got jacket ( with ice cubes ) that Dr Kruse suggested, doesn't yet have the courage yet to put it on.

People are complaining that I am becoming too slim, dry skin also increased. Started taking large breakfast with in 30 min after waking up, but after taking bath, I feel very hungry.

It sounds like you are over doing things and should back off seek10. If people say you are getting too thin, then work on that before going full on with the cold showers (and forget anything to do with ice).
Focus instead on making sure you are eating/digesting (digestive aids)/absorbing (not eating things that you are not tolerant of which may block the absorption of nutrients) enough fat, add in some extra protein for breakfast and get yourself to the point where you have spare energy (and maybe even a little weight) before starting the proper cold showers.
If you are loosing weight, you are not getting enough fuel and that should be your concern. You should also not be pushing for things that burn extra fuel. Its like not being able to fill a car with petrol properly (a car you usually only drive slowly down the road to the shops) and then expecting it to work fine in a long distance race.

When I started cold showers I went really cold for the first two days, and had to stop for a week because my fuel system couldn't keep up - I was fatigued/miserable and lost a little weight. So I switched to more protein/fat for breakfast/eating within 30 minutes of waking as per the leptin resistant protocol. After doing that for a week or so I started taking luke warm/cool showers (just about body temperature) with a one minute period at the end where I turn it down to cool but not cold (its enough to give a mild shock when I put my face in the stream of water).
Any signs of fatigue or weight loss and I back off the temperature/eat more. If people then said I was looking too slim I'd stop them completely and focus on digestion, increasing food quantity and weight gain.

I had trouble with cramps and drinking extra slightly salty water seems to have fixed that. The net result so far is my tolerance for the cold showers has increased, although my recovery time (shivering/feeling cold afterwards) and energy requirements are still taking some time to work out. I have actually gained a little weight though in what appears to be the form of a thin layer of fat over most of my body.

Just want to say that I have no plans to immerse myself in ice baths. No until the ice age arrives and I have no choice! I think all that Kruse had uncovered/theorized is very interesting, but I also think he has an idee fixe and is searching through all the literature with that idea and picking out everything that matches and perhaps ignoring what does not.

Surely, humans evolved in warmer climates also, and since then, genes are very mixed all over the world, so there is no "one size fits all" solution, though there do seem to be a few general principles that are useful for everyone with only rare exceptions.

Meanwhil, Ark, PoB, Belibaste, and myself are down here camping out in a tiny holiday rental 15 minutes away from the cryo-center and we had our third session this morning, will be going back for #4 this afternoon.

Since we were prepared by hearing everyone else's experiences, we didn't have any shocks or issues even at the first session. I might have been a little anxious but maybe it was just because it was morning - my BP was 130/90. It's normally 120/80 or thereabouts.

We all wore socks, three of us wearing support socks to the knees because of leg circulation issues. We plan to continue with the socks until session 10 and then take them off. Don't want to shock those leg veins too much at once! First session 2.5 minutes, 3 min for the second and from here on.

I found that just turning in slow circles throughout kept the cold evenly distributed, though I did do the "funky chicken" at one point, lifting my elbows out because they felt a bit "burny".

We felt good right after, but then, very soon, the sleepiness comes over one! We slept like logs last night despite the fact that we are in a strange place, not as comfortable as our beds at home. Even now, feel very lethargic, like just wanting to sleep.

We didn't have the dramatic increase in appetite, just eating normally at normal times. (At least I didn't and don't notice it in the others.)

Here is a photo of Ark when the chamber reached -192:

kryo1.jpg

And another:

kryo2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom