For fun: Numbers are weird

mkrnhr

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Very often when people talk about the so-called golden ratio, it's all about pentagons, spirals, flowers, monuments, etc.
There is also something about the golden ratio that is quite remarkable. Not only it's an irrational number, it's also the most irrational of the irrational numbers. An irrational is simply a number that cannot be exactly expressed by a ratio on natural numbers, only approximated. Other famous irrational numbers include the square root of 2 (allegedly discovered by the Pythagorean school, but incidentally the "second most irrational" after the golden ratio) and pi. For example, pi can be approximated by 22/7, or 355/113, but not exactly.

Now for the fun part. If an event A occurs periodically at a certain frequency, and another event B occurs periodically at another frequency that's rational to events A's, the two tend to coincide periodically. For instance, the small hand of a clock periodically coincides with the large hand of the clock. In the following representation, the periodical "event" is represented by a cosine function:
1694038899115.png
The period is 1. The function reaches the maximum at T = 0, 1, 2, 3, ....., or the minimum at T = 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, .... Basically it repeats itself indefinitely.

No if we add another cosine function at a frequency 3/2 times the first one (2/3 the period), when one accomplishes two cycles, and the other accomplishes three cycles, the sum repeats itself again:

1694039284655.png
One can count two cycles for the thin continuous line, and three cycles for the thin dashed line, and that corresponds to the thick line (their sum) to accomplish one cycle where the thin lines coincide again.

This behavior is the same for all rational numbers. If one event's frequency is n times another event's frequency (n being rational), they inevitably catch up to each other so to speak.

Now, if the frequency of an event is n times the frequency of another event, and n this time is irrational, their sum is not exactly periodic (maybe cyclical to a certain point) and the two events do not coincide periodically.

1694039797695.png
One can see that the maximums for instance do not coincide exactly anymore, and always miss each other by a varying "distance".

Of course, this effect is not mathematically reproducible on the computer because of the limit on the of floating numbers accuracy, but one can simply approximate a simple never repeating signal with a very simple trick.

The golden ratio is the limit of the ratio between two subsequent Fibonacci numbers (2/1, 3/2, 5/3, 8/5, 13/8, 21/13, 34/21, 55/34, 89/55, 144/89, ....). These ratios are of course rational, but it is "irrational at infinity", or for practical purposes when the numbers are large enough for a the effect to be noticeable upon a certain extant.

1694040205952.png
In other words, along the Fibonacci sequence, we transition from periodic to non-periodic event/signals/whatever.
It is fun.

If two planets orbit in such a way, it would be a nightmare for the inhabitants.
However, one could also argue on the other hand that in an atomic world at least, infinite ratios and irrational numbers do not exist really. They are abstractions that represent ratios that are real, which incidentally can all be generated from a variation on the Fibonacci sequence.

Last edited:
Added: This "incommensurability" introduced by irrational numbers (not just the golden ratio, but it's the most fun) allows the fun of drawing infinite open loops:
1694040704029.png
1694040740387.png
1694040810640.png
1694040854282.png
1694040938929.png
1694040980006.png1694041097427.png
etc.
As animations they could be cool, for the enjoyment of the young and the old.

Attachments

• 1694040892242.png
    1694040892242.png
    57 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the enlightenment @mkrnhr - That is fun.

I often wonder if these irrational numbers become somehow rational in higher dimensions.

I remember experimenting (using parametric equations I think) a long time ago making graphs like the "fun with open loops". It was using an old BBC micro computer :-D

Q: (A) It is not important. Now, he is talking a lot about p-adic numbers which are different from real numbers, and they are related to prime numbers, and it is a whole big area which may be important for development for the right mathematics for the future. What about p-edic [p-adic] numbers? Are they important?
A: Yes.
Q: (A) Should I learn them?
A: With room for alterations the key to quantum jumps is always in discovering "new" mathematics.

Q: (A) Now, concerning new mathematics, I wanted to ask also, because I have received an elaborate treatise from somebody in China who is sending this treatise to all the greatest mathematicians of the world, and apparently I am one of them, and this is about what he calls the mathematics of Unified Field Theory which is based on I Ching. There are a lot of things that are very hard to follow. It is all about Chi and the way the Chinese philosophy tells us that our mathematics should be built on a different principle. Why am I repeatedly getting this? Is there some meaning, that I should really look into this?
Q: (A) What, in particular, should I pay attention to?
A: The connection between philosophy and math.
Q: (A) But, still I want to understand what was all this talk about tetrahedrons. So, I thought about tetrahedrons that I have worked with and met in my research. There were several occasions. First, there are tetrahedrons which we need if you build a continuous theory of completely discrete elements. Then we do the triangulation of the surface, or we need tetrahedrons to triangulate space, so let me call it Place One. Place Two: tetrahedrons I understood as symbols because tetrahedrons have three edges from each vertex, so I thought this three should represent third order differential equations. Place Three: I use tetrahedrons for describing magnetic monopoles, but they were not necessary, and I have no other way to put tetrahedrons into the idea to bend geometry. If things are fluffy, what are tetrahedrons doing there? I have no clue at all! So, I want to ask about a possibility of describing different densities. It came to my mind that perhaps Einstein, when you spoke about variable physicality, that Einstein was afraid when he understood that in his work. I thought about this and I think that Einstein determined that the future must be determined from the past and present, and when he found that he had a theory where the future was open, he dismissed it and was afraid. Is this a good guess that variable physicality, mathematically, means a theory where there is a freedom of choosing the future when past and present are given?
Q: (A) Is it related to the fact that we should use higher order differential equations, not second order?
A: Yes. Einstein found that not only is the future open, but also the present and the past. Talk about scary!!
Q: (A) I hope the invitation will come soon. Perhaps six years from now. I'd like to know what I should concentrate on, in the period between now and the invitation that will come soon?
A: Hyperdimensional physics.

Q: (A) Well hyperdimensional physics, means putting away Maxwell, putting away superluminal, putting away electromagnetism, putting away Rodriquez, putting away quaternions. It means, as I read it, going back to...
A: Yes. 1969. Yes, most beneficial.
Q: (A) OK 1969: I was thinking about Kaluza-Klein theories. I was playing with algebras and infinite dimensions.
Q: (A) Alright I was thinking at the time about symmetry between matter and anti-matter.
I think another area of mathematics needs to be "unlocked," or at least, another perspective needs to be developed. Did Einstein discover another form of mathematics? What is the true meaning of zero or infinity? We are still mostly thinking in linear terms, as if these quantities were separate.
Q: (L) I was thinking it, but they didn't let me finish. For the record, I was thinking that we are all part of the same soul unit here.

A: To an extent, but you may not yet understand what exactly a "soul unit" is in that sense. And of course, there is more than one sense for this as well. The "trick" that 3rd density STS life forms will learn, either prior to transition to 4th density, or at the exact juncture, is to think in absolutely limitless terms. The first and most solid step in this process is to not anticipate at all. This is most difficult for you. We understand this, but this as also why we keep reiterating this point. For example, imagine if one of your past lives is also a future life?
Q: (A) Now, I want to ask about the software that I am working on. I realized that these people have a spectrometer that produces bad spectra, there is, as far as I can see, the methods that I am using may fail completely with this spectrometer. What should I do to work out an efficient analyzing program that will work so that...
A: Fit a model into your program calculations which is demonstrable. In other words, fit your machine to your program, rather than the other way around.
Q: (L) You are saying that, based on what will work program- wise, that the machine should be re-designed...
Q: (A) But still I have the feeling that the method I am using is not the optimal one even for this machine, but I don't know what to do.
A: Adjust machine to method.
Q: (L) Are you saying that his method is the best and the only one that is going to work and that the machine is going to have to be modified?
A: Best of the rest.
We are limited by our tools, but the Universe is not. If ALL information is already there, why are we "computing" things instead of querying the Universe, i.e. setting up a "resonant" environment to send and receive cosmic signals. Isn't that what our DNA does/is—a superconductor of cosmic energies?

Thanks for the enlightenment @mkrnhr - That is fun.

I often wonder if these irrational numbers become somehow rational in higher dimensions.

I remember experimenting (using parametric equations I think) a long time ago making graphs like the "fun with open loops". It was using an old BBC micro computer :-D
LOL, my first programs in BASIC (on Atari microcomputers and very few colors on screen in the 80's) were about drawing parametric equations too. From there I moved to very simple 2d games.

p(prime)-adic representations of rational numbers are very interesting. I don't understand them sufficiently to have an informed opinion but what's fascinating is that they seem to bridge the infinite with the finite so to speak. Maybe speculative questions such as "why 7 densities rather than an infinity of densities" could be explored within such a framework. 3-adic and 5-adic numbers were used to solve "Fermat's last theorem" but I haven't seen anything about 7-adic numbers. Maybe they have some special properties? Mathematicians can answer perhaps.

Speaking of 7 and fun, we have 7 days in the week (a quarter of the moon cycle approximately) and each day has 24 hours. For some ancients not long ago, each hour of the day was dedicated to a god/planet: Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon. The order is the apparent speed each "planet" traces relatively to the stars. Let's say the first day starts with Saturn. 24 is 3 times 7 plus 3, which means that Saturn to Moon fill the first 3*7=21 hours, then the 3 remaining hours are filled with Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars. The next day starts then with Sun. Each day starts with a different planet. If we draw this operation we have this nice figure:

1694192808582.png
Following the thick lines, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, ... Hence the succession of our week days nomenclature.

Now the fun thing, to pull up maybe on Halloween to freak out a superstitious person, is this: If we remove the holidays that are Saturday and Sunday, and reproduce only the working days, we get this:

1694193069614.png
:lol:
Basically, by working from Monday to Friday, you're performing a pentagram ritual (it could be phrased more dramatically I imagine).

Last edited:
The golden ratio is the limit of the ratio between two subsequent Fibonacci numbers (2/1, 3/2, 5/3, 8/5, 13/8, 21/13, 34/21, 55/34, 89/55, 144/89, ....). These ratios are of course rational, but it is "irrational at infinity", or for practical purposes when the numbers are large enough for a the effect to be noticeable upon a certain extant.
Very interesting, mkrnhr! So, if I am understanding this correctly, the cosine sum will only ever equal two at the origin, even if a computer model will occasionally round it up to such due to the limitations of the hardware? And this can be offset somewhat by using a more precise Golden Ratio composed of larger Fib numbers?

:lol:
Basically, by working from Monday to Friday, you're performing a pentagram ritual (it could be phrased more dramatically I imagine).
By removing Friday, and adjusting the remaining days on the circumference slightly, we get an infinity symbol! I always knew a four day working week was a good idea! 😁

So, if I am understanding this correctly, the cosine sum will only ever equal two at the origin, even if a computer model will occasionally round it up to such due to the limitations of the hardware?
Pretty much, it's the point where the two components are "made to coincide by design". Floating point numbers in computers are generally approximations (but pretty good approximations for what they're needed for) but for all practical purposes, using (1+sqrt(5))/2 on a modern computer exhibits this effect very well.

By removing Friday, and adjusting the remaining days on the circumference slightly, we get an infinity symbol! I always knew a four day working week was a good idea! 😁
Like this? ;)
1694590752883.png

Added: This "incommensurability" introduced by irrational numbers (not just the golden ratio, but it's the most fun) allows the fun of drawing infinite open loops:

These fun "open loop" drawings look a lot like Lissajous curves (wiki), of which they are actually a 'special case':
A Lissajous curve /ˈlɪsəʒuː/, also known as Lissajous figure or Bowditch curve /ˈbaʊdɪtʃ/, is the graph of a system of parametric equations
x = A * sin(a*t + δ), y = B * sin(b*t)
which describe the superposition of two perpendicular oscillations in x and y directions of different angular frequency (a and b). The resulting family of curves was investigated by Nathaniel Bowditch in 1815, and later in more detail in 1857 by Jules Antoine Lissajous (for whom it has been named). Such motions may be considered as a particular of kind of complex harmonic motion.

The appearance of the figure is sensitive to the ratio a/b. For a ratio of 1, when the frequencies match a=b, the figure is an ellipse, with special cases including circles (A = B, δ = π/2 radians) and lines (δ = 0). A small change to one of the frequencies will mean the x oscillation after one cycle will be slightly out of synchronization with the y motion and so the ellipse will fail to close and trace a curve slightly adjacent during the next orbit showing as a precession of the ellipse. The pattern closes if the frequencies are whole number ratios i.e. a/b is rational.

• δ = π/2, a = 1, b = 2 (1:2)

δ = π/2, a = 1, b = 2 (1:2)

• δ = π/2, a = 3, b = 2 (3:2)
    δ = π/2, a = 3, b = 2 (3:2)

• δ = π/2, a = 3, b = 4 (3:4)
    δ = π/2, a = 3, b = 4 (3:4)

• δ = π/2, a = 5, b = 4 (5:4)
    δ = π/2, a = 5, b = 4 (5:4)

• Lissajous figures: various frequency relations and phase differences
    Lissajous figures: various frequency relations and phase differences

Practical application​

Lissajous curves can also be generated using an oscilloscope (as illustrated). An octopus circuit can be used to demonstrate the waveform images on an oscilloscope. Two phase-shifted sinusoid inputs are applied to the oscilloscope in X-Y mode and the phase relationship between the signals is presented as a Lissajous figure.

In the professional audio world, this method is used for realtime analysis of the phase relationship between the left and right channels of a stereo audio signal. On larger, more sophisticated audio mixing consoles an oscilloscope may be built-in for this purpose.

In engineering​

A Lissajous curve is used in experimental tests to determine if a device may be properly categorized as a memristor. It is also used to compare two different electrical signals: a known reference signal and a signal to be tested.

Memristors seem to be very cool (wiki):

As a fundamental electrical component​

Conceptual symmetries of resistor, capacitor, inductor, and memristor

Chua in his 1971 paper identified a theoretical symmetry between the non-linear resistor (voltage vs. current), non-linear capacitor (voltage vs. charge), and non-linear inductor (magnetic flux linkage vs. current). From this symmetry he inferred the characteristics of a fourth fundamental non-linear circuit element, linking magnetic flux and charge, which he called the memristor. In contrast to a linear (or non-linear) resistor, the memristor has a dynamic relationship between current and voltage, including a memory of past voltages or currents. Other scientists had proposed dynamic memory resistors such as the memistor of Bernard Widrow, but Chua introduced a mathematical generality.
FWIW.

Not fun drawings this time but something related to arithmetics.

I came across the British way of doing long divisions: :O it looks like black magic. I'm used to the French way that I learned when I was a kid, and comparatively it is less cumbersome and easier. There is however a even easier way of dividing numbers: The ancient Egyptian way.
Not only it's easier, it is also more intuitive.

Before division, one can start with multiplication. In order to multiply numbers, we learned a multiplication tables (childhood trauma).
The ancient Egyptian method requires only knowing how to multiply by two, or add a number to itself.
Let's multiply 163 by 76 for instance (163*76):
We take the larger number (163) and we build the series of power of 2: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 2.. 256 is larger than 163 so we stop at 128. We want to multiply every number of this series by 76 (1*76, 2*76, 4*76, 8*76, etc.) but there is an easier way to do it: We just take the number 76, multiply it by 2 (or add it to itself) are repeat the operation. In doing so, we obtain the series: 76, 76+76=152, 152+152=304, 304+304=608,1216, 2432, 4864, 9728.
Putting the series next to each other we have
| 1 | 2| 4| 8| 16| 32| 64| 128|
|76|152| 304| 608|1216| 2432|4864| 9728|
by multiplying every number in the first row by 76 we obtain the corresponding number in the second row
Now, 163 (the number we want to multiply by 76) can be obtained by 128+32+2+1 (which is equivalent to writing 163 in the binary system: 163~ 10100011). Since 163 = 128+32+2+1, then 163*76 = (128+32+2+1)*76.
All there is to do is to add the numbers in the second row that correspond to the numbers 128,32,2,1 to get 9728+2432+152+76=12388
Doing 163*76 the usual way (or using the calculator) verifies the result.
The procedure is long (one gets used to it I suppose), especially for large numbers, but it uses only additions (and binary code lol). No memorizing necessary.
I would imagine that why the method would be demonstrated to make sense intuitively by a set of pebbles or something.

Multiplication is easy and division is difficult (remember the English long division labor).

Let's divide 1989 by 53 for example.

Similarly to the multiplication case, we take 53, and we add it to itself: 53, 53+53=106, 106+106=212, 212+212=424, 848, 1696, 33.. and we stop there because 1696+1696=3392 is larger than the number we want to divide, 1989.
We have then a series 53, 106, 212, 424, 848, 1696, of which each element, when divided by 53, gives the same series of powers of 2 we've seen in the multiplication method (1, 2, 4, 8, etc.). We write the table:
53| 106| 212| 424| 848| 1696|
| 1| 2| 4| 8| 16| 32|
Now the fun part is to write 1989 as a sum of the numbers of the first row (a little more involved than the binary version but not more difficult): 1989 ~ 1696 + 212 + 53... we're out of numbers from the list, 1696+212+53 = 1961 and 1989-1961=28... that's our reminder.
Just like in the multiplication case, we look at the table, and we sum the powers of 2 that correspond to our list 1696, 212, 53 such that 1+4+32 = 37.
The final result is 1989/53 = 37 with a reminder of 28, or 37+(28/53). A division without memorizing multiplication table, using just additions!

The most remarkable is that multiplication and division use similar techniques and both can be demonstrated with pebbles or something.

For those who are bothered by the reminder of the division, ancient Egyptians had a fascinating system for "decimals" but it was different from the base 10 decimals we use today.

How the ancients (Egyptians, Babylonians, Chinese, etc.) solved problems is fascinating, and maybe there is something still useful to their numbering and counting systems.

While checking around to see if light, as an electromagnetic wave where E and B fields oscillate perpendicularly to each other and to the direction of propagation, might exhibit something like Lissajous figures, MagneLink, through-the-earth two-way wireless technology popped up.

EF: How does MagneLink work and what are its main components?

WG: The system is essentially what’s known as a software-defined radio, which means it’s a computer that generates radio communications. However, unlike most other radios we use magnetic waves instead of radio-waves. We generate a signal and send it through a loop that’s wrapped around a pillar in the mine. When you send the signal through a loop of wires it creates a magnetic moment or a magnetic field. That magnetic field essentially creates a bubble of magnetic energy which rises to the surface.

On the surface we have another antenna, called inductor. The magnetic waves induce a current into that device and that current is detected by our radio software on our surface computer, which then decodes the messages which were encoded in magnetic waves. It’s fairly well-developed system.

We can send text and voice communications. Text is near real-time – it’s nearly the same as sending text messages on a cell phone. Our voice messages are just like satellite phones: you talk, the data is recorded and when you’re finished talking it is transmitted up through the earth.

Last night a realization in the context of underground civilization, if it exists, came to the mind.

Since the MagneLink has been out on our 3D market for more than dozen years, not only do the underground facilities not need some fancy exotic 4D-like tech to communicate among themselves beneath the surface of the Earth, but more importantly also their people on the surface can easily use this kind of Lockheed Martin's wireless comm system to have 'regular ordinary chats' with their bases and HQs underground. FWIW.

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom