Historical Events Database - Coordination

Data said:
Editors can submit a maximum bunch of 5 Events at any time, but they have to wait until all 5 have been reviewed by me before they can submit more. Does this sound better to everyone? :halo:

:cool2:

Data said:
Zadius Sky said:
I just attached the snapshot of the filtered event for 365. It was a BIG event. So, how would we merge all event IDs into one?

If you want, I could assign all these Events to you, and merge them for you. If not you, maybe someone else, or I do it.

Yeah, assign them to me, please. I will spend some time with it, to get it done properly. Thank you.

Maybe we should have a "page in pdf" box beside "page in book" to help the reviewer - you Data - to find the proper pdf page faster?

Data said:
As you are aware, I had to fail many Reviews that you submitted. I felt sorry every time I had to do it, and I hope that you don't see it as failure. It's just a way to establish a close and immediate feedback loop whose only purpose it is to learn what exactly is needed, and I hope over time you will know exactly what to do, and I will be able to 'pass' more and more entries at the first submission. Hopefully in the future, someone else will be able to support me with doing the Reviews.

Don't worry and learning is fun :cool2:

Data said:
Editors can submit a maximum bunch of 5 Events at any time, but they have to wait until all 5 have been reviewed by me before they can submit more. Does this sound better to everyone? :halo:

:cheer:

Data said:
1. I will be announcing days when Reviews can be submitted. The reason is that I've worked on Reviews more than 9 hours every day for the past week or so.

Please take care of yourself Data - that is more important than doing this fast. The boiling brain you had yesterday is a warning signal of your body to you IMHO. You can burn the candle on both end but not very long. "The rest on the seventh day" that is rest regularly advice is very important I found.

Data said:

Definitely, certainly to me. I'm all for that solution 100%.

This way I can build up a stack of 5 slowly and at my own tempo and leisure, then await feed-back, make the necessary 'repairs' until all is vetted completely, and then build up another stack maybe somewhat simultaneously.

Such procedures allow for more freedom of movement to all involved (especially Data who has the heaviest workload) within tight lines set according to how things flow generally. Maximum flexibility at minimum investment of energy. Couldn't ask for more... :D

Data said:

Yes, that sounds like a good way to do it, especially since there are several of us and only one of you. I just finished correcting my last batch of fails -- I'll be getting back to new submissions this coming weekend.

Zadius Sky said:
Yeah, assign them to me, please. I will spend some time with it, to get it done properly. Thank you.

Done! It's E#4314 and now has 13 Texts. Some Texts are duplicates, but you can delete them easily! :cool2:

Palinurus said:
Such procedures allow for more freedom of movement to all involved (especially Data who has the heaviest workload) within tight lines set according to how things flow generally. Maximum flexibility at minimum investment of energy. Couldn't ask for more... :D

As Cpt. Picard is fond of saying: "Make it so!" :cool:

Shijing, keywords with a blank in it will be split e.g "meteor" "shower" when you put them directly in the keyword box. When you write it with the blank somewhere else, copy and paste it into keyword box it will taken as one keyword instead of two: "meteor shower".

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I just saw that Data changed appropriate keywords to meteor>shower and that you are supposed to include quotation marks when you want to include a phrase with blank. Please ignore my remark and sorry for the noise.

Data said:
seek10 said:
2. I uploaded one pdf I uploaded for source (S#498). This is Dio's History of Rome Book 4.
There are a couple of problems with S#498. Look at how I've created Livy's book series. I'll give you additional feedback to this Source as soon as you get one of Dio's entries into Review.
Thank you for previous feeback. Here are some things I did.
I compared source of Livy and Dio little , so there is more changes to Dio source entry. Since the events are in review, I can't change now. I am not sure what to put citations for Dio though. For now,I put it as Dio.

I updated events 1463,1464,1465,1466,1467(from Dio) and assigned it to you for review

The pdf itself doesn't have chapters and verses, but I took the content from the web and added the webpage in the HTML URL page for the source

_http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Cassius_Dio/41*.html

the original text says
14 1 Now at the very moment of coming to land at Dyrrachium he learned that he should not obtain a prosperous outcome. For thunderbolts destroyed some soldiers even as the ships were approaching; spiders occupied the army standards; and after he had left the vessel serpents followed and obliterated his footprints. 2 These were the portents which came to him personally, but for the whole capital others had occurred both that year and a short time previously; for there is no doubt that in civil wars the state is injured by both parties. Hence many wolves and owls were seen in the city itself 3 and continual earthquakes with bellowings took place, fire darted across from the west to the east, and another fire consumed the temple of Quirinus as well as of the buildings. The sun, too, suffered a total eclipse, and thunderbolts damaged a sceptre of Jupiter and a shield and a helmet of Mars that were votive offerings on the Capitol, and likewise the tables which contained the laws. 4 Many animals brought forth creatures outside of their own species, some oracles purporting to be those of the Sibyl were made known, and some men became inspired and uttered numerous divinations.

event 1467 /Text 1926

Even though text says "sun too suffered total eclipse", I am wondering this is not solar eclipse and it looks like a metaphorical way of saying. For now, I kept it under solar eclipse. If it is not real solar eclipse, I will add the text to event 1466

event 1465

Since the sentence is parsed for categorization, the original text becomes "continual earthquakes with bellowings took place". So, first letter in the first word becomes small letter and I removed ',' after last word. Shall I put period at the end?. Also there is no context to the text but it may be fine as we put the location.

event 1464 : For this taxonomy(animal prodigy), text has contents from 3 different verses(1,2 and 4). I put it like this.

{v 1}spiders occupied the army standards; and after he had left the vessel serpents followed and obliterated his footprints.

{v 2} These were the portents which came to him personally, but for the whole capital others had occurred both that year and a short time previously; for there is no doubt that in civil wars the state is injured by both parties. Hence many wolves and owls were seen in the city itself

{v 4 }Many animals brought forth creatures outside of their own species, some oracles purporting to be those of the Sibyl were made known, and some men became inspired and uttered numerous divinations.

- verses 1 and 2 are continuous. As per the original text, there is no paragraph separation, but I put a blank line between them. Is this right?
Between verse 2 and 4, shall I put '...'?. If so, Does the blank line with 3 spaces needed?

- I put the verse range 1 to 4

- verses 1,2 contains words like he, him doesn't talk about who the person is. Do we need to the person name (Pompey) in some sort of brackets?

I think these questions will cover for rest of Dio's content.

Dirgni said:
EDIT: I just saw that Data changed appropriate keywords to meteor>shower and that you are supposed to include quotation marks when you want to include a phrase with blank.

Exactly. The User Manual gives plenty explanation and examples:

Code:
earthquake
"battle of Zama"
battles>Zama
Zama>battle

@seek10: Good job on your events, I've approved all except one. I've just made some minor changes to the Dio Source.

Generally for all editors: If an entry is in good shape, and it takes me 2 seconds to fix something, I'll do it without failing it to save time. But if I see a recurring problem, I'll fail the entry.

I've processed all Reviewing entries from all of you (except Shijing, I'll wait until 5 entries have accumulated), and am ready to receive more! :D

General info for all: The PDF that is generated from the passed review entries is not yet the final publication. The first volume will likely include the time period from 500BC until 500AD. Obviously, once we have that, we have to read the entire thing (at least the summaries and year numbers) with a fresh mind and identify events that should be merged, categories changed, keywords added etc. This coming step may also include writing more commentaries and 'connecting the dots'. But this is something where Laura's input is needed because I'm only growing a tiny bit into an amateur historian who just got his toes wet because others splash right into the pool! ;D

I would like to have all Chinese comets removed that DO NOT coincide with a western comet OR environmental situation.

Laura said:
I would like to have all Chinese comets removed that DO NOT coincide with a western comet OR environmental situation.

I've excluded them from the PDF, but we keep them around in the database.

Data, I have an additional question about my Event#1471. I've made all the changes you required but in the Event Index the event is still in review failed mode. Now I've just checked if there were any new feedbacks but couldn't find any. The Feedback Index however states that the event is in Reviewing mode. So, which one is it?

Does your new rule of submitting 5 events in total before you make another move, also apply to this single one which was already in process at least partially?

I very much would like to be certain that I did everything right for this one now on second try, before engaging in any further re-editing of other events.

Hope that's not too inconvenient for you, please... :-[

Palinurus said:
Data, I have an additional question about my Event#1471. I've made all the changes you required but in the Event Index the event is still in review failed mode. Now I've just checked if there were any new feedbacks but couldn't find any. The Feedback Index however states that the event is in Reviewing mode. So, which one is it?

When checking this I just saw one Reviewing state for Event #1471. But this is from date Feb 22 with loads of comments from you after. This one could be the first try Review. Could you just try to put it in Reviewing again?

Dirgni said:
Palinurus said:

When checking this I just saw one Reviewing state for Event #1471. But this is from date Feb 22 with loads of comments from you after. This one could be the first try Review. Could you just try to put it in Reviewing again?

Correct. I've posted a comment on this Event.

Data said:
Dirgni said:
Palinurus said:

Correct. I've posted a comment on this Event.

Data, I found your comment and made the changes required but then fell into the trap of a silly mistake by setting the whole lot back into Reviewing mode before saving the changes. Therefore, they didn't come through and I have to redo them once more.

Would you reactivate the Review failed status for me, please? :-[

Back
Top Bottom