I went to a survival fair

Ellipse

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Among others, there was the traditional knifes/crossbows/axes stands but some were dedicated to gardening and so I discovered the aquaponics technic for food production. I saw that some on the forum already use it I was totally unaware of a such method.

The aquaponics couples raising fishes and vegetable. The nutrient-rich water used to raise animals is used to grown plants having their root in water (hydroponics technic).

There was an interesting stand selling the full installation of two 500-litre tanks which are buried and connected by a pump.

Aquaponics

The schema:

Aquaponics 1.jpg
The installation ready to use is charged 4100€.

So you grow rainbow trout, something like 30, when fishes grow you eat some. When you have no more fishes you have to buy some others sent (by mail!) from fish farming. The system is almost autonomous because plants filter the water but you have to feed the fishes.

According to Wikipedia, aquaponics is an old farming technique already used by the Aztec... Aquaponics - Wikipedia

It is a good idea in general to be growing your own food and I am currently researching somewhat similar solution for our two ponds.

With the example above the devil is hidden in details, so for those who want to give it a try, few clues that were pointed out to me by talking to industry professionals and reading on the subject.

Hydroponics/aquaponics - this is personal choice. Compared to regular gardening, it requires more of everything with exception of the actual soil and the end product (whatever is being grown) does taste different.

But giving hydroponics a go, trout (fish) is simply not an option. The thing prospers in streams, and it literally needs to swim against it. On the contrary hydroponics in general will not thrive in such conditions. So instead of a trout, bottom feeders are the way. Crawl fish, carp, tilapia and the like. Personally, I`d eat trout, pike or a bass ten times over any bottom feeder, but that`s just me.

Secondly, fish gets sold in batches 1000+ It is done this way because fish are cannibals and out of the 1000 it is expected to only 30-50 of the strongest to reach maturity.

Thirdly, 500 liters sound like a large tank, but in actuality it is quite small. Imagine regular size bathtub full of water 40-50 gallons which equals about 190 liters (50 gallon) so only 2,5 of your tubs for 30 trouts of average size 15 inches (38 centimeters). Crowded is what comes to mind. Most likely less than 30 surviving fish.

To close the thought. I`d suggest before delving into anything, research, learn or even explore in a smaller scale. This solution is historically proven, but in current conditions will only work for some.

Back
Top Bottom