Iodine and Potassium Iodide

whitecoast said:
onemen said:
Taking Probiotics (amazon) some time in the evening when on empty stomach

Dinner: Butter, sweet potato/rice with a bit of meat or "saucisson/paté"

Hi onemen, it may be helpful to add a bit of fiber to your diet at night when using probiotics. That feeds the critters and helps them "take" better. If you're still eating lots of starches, there's a chance you may still be supporting a candida overgrowth in your gut, which will help prevent the good bacteria from taking over. The longer you stay in ketosis the more this goes away, especially if you take antifungals like black walnut, oregano oil, or iodine (at high enough concentrations). So if it feels like it's taking awhile for the probiotics to take effect don't get discouraged. :)

Theory goes that high iodine supplementation can mobilize a lot of mercury trapped in the body and that mercury cancels out chemicals, from other probiotics, that usually keep candida under control.
I always had a Herx reaction from candida dieoff (as I can figure) after taking probiotics and my condition only improved shortly and I had to take higher doses (2x than recommended) for that effect. So, probiotics, for me, would be a good temporary solution if I had extra money.
I can attest that high iodine supplementation is only great for 2 weeks or so and then the (old) candida symptoms reappear stronger. Everything over 2-3 drops of 5% Lugols has that effect. Iodine is antifungal but as long as I know, it can't nuke candida - I have tried nuking it for about three weeks (3x16 drops 5% Lugols).
On the other hand, my condition has vastly improved after removing amalgam fillings.
I remember that some people (not on this forum) reported getting rid of candida after only heavy metal chelation which lasted for about two years. Can't recall if they used anti-fungals or probiotics.

https://www.sott.net/article/289705-Still-battling-candida-It-may-be-due-to-mercury-fillings
https://www.sott.net/article/345184-Mercury-The-Quintessential-Anti-Nutrient

So I'm up to my third bottle of Lugol's along this treatment and here is my conclusions.

- No more brain fog.
- More energy to do my day's work ( I'm an electrician)
- Better sleep, more profound, and longer too. At the beginning of the treatment: 4Hrs was my maximum hrs of sleep. Now, I'm at 7Hrs.
- My body have taken 15 pounds of weigh but I've stop smoking so cannot say positively if it's due by the treatment.

Overall, feeling much better.

Thank you Laura and all for this wonderful thread.

On the iodine facebook group what they said is that what happens to iodine and vitamin C in the stomach is not the same as what happens in a glass of water. Here is the post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IodineWorkshop/permalink/996568123811417/

Oh yeah, it works well for that too, or if you get it on the skin where you might be self conscious about the color.

I think what they were mentioning is that Vitamin C is no problem, no health issues. But for women where the breast tissues etc prefer elemental IodINE, it's best not to have it converted to ionic.

Salt, however, doesn't change the color. I left drops in very salty water and it stayed brownish.

Ant22 said:
I agree with Divide By Zero,

It actually says to use vitamin C in case of staining on my bottle of Lugol and I've used vitamin C to neutralise iodine stains a couple of times myself. Adding vitamin C to Lugol visibly changes it into a clear solution of iodide, like DBZ says.

So in order to benefit from both iodine and iodide, vitamin C should be taken separately.

Here's a photo of the label on my Lugol bottle:

Re: Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Edit: clarity

Divide By Zero said:
Salt, however, doesn't change the color. I left drops in very salty water and it stayed brownish.

The idea is that chloride in the salt and iodide compete for the same receptors in the body. So if you want to iodide to attach to the receptor, it's not a good idea to take salt at the same time as the iodide.

Keyhole said:
(...)
Hi onemen,

My honest opinion is that your headache may be due to the fact that you have consumed a whole gram of fish oil. The subject of fish oil is highly debated, but a general rule (for those who choose to take it) is that it should only be consumed in capsules contained within darkened containers. I checked up the ebay link you provided, and the container is see-through. DHA and EPA are the two most unstable fatty acids in nature, because they contain a large number of double covalent bonds which renders them extremely susceptible to oxidation and degradation by light. They are found in cold water/cold blooded fish in deep(ish) waters, hence are somewhat protected from the influences of heat and light. When the oil is extracted from its natural cold environment, and then consumed by warm blooded species, it is metabolised to toxic byproducts such as malondialdehyde fairly rapidly.

The byproducts of PUFA/fish oil metabolism are fairly well known to induce migraine/headaches. What are the benefits you are looking for by taking it?
(...)

Hi Keyhole, sorry to bump into your response to onemen! I was wondering whether what you said above about fish oil applies to krill oil as well?

Krill oil was mentioned much earlier in this thread (between March and May) as a more stable alternative to fish oil but it does contain DHA and EPA too. Krill oil also has fishy smell and apparently that's a sign of it being rancid so I'm a bit unsure whether it is really a worthwhile alternative.

I'm about to order another batch and since krill oil is pretty expensive I thought I'd ask whether you think it makes sense to invest in it.

Ant22 said:
Hi Keyhole, sorry to bump into your response to onemen! I was wondering whether what you said above about fish oil applies to krill oil as well?

Krill oil was mentioned much earlier in this thread (between March and May) as a more stable alternative to fish oil but it does contain DHA and EPA too. Krill oil also has fishy smell and apparently that's a sign of it being rancid so I'm a bit unsure whether it is really a worthwhile alternative.

I'm about to order another batch and since krill oil is pretty expensive I thought I'd ask whether you think it makes sense to invest in it.
Yeah, from what I understand this applies to all polyunsaturated fatty acids. They play physiological roles in cold-blooded species, but the requirements for warm blooded creatures are virtually zero. The whole idea of "essential fatty acids" (omega 3s and 6s) is based on a massive assumption that there is a "phospholipid bilayer" cell membrane surrounding cells, supposedly made up of these essential fats. This is just a theory, and is has been disputed on several occasions. I will open a thread with the research at some point in the future.

Omega 3s and 6s are probably only required daily in extremely small amounts, such as that contained in two eggs or so. It is needed for growth of the fetal nervous system etc, but the DHA contents is basically the same in newborns of vegetarian mothers as it is from mothers who consumed large amounts of omega 3, which suggests that DHA synthesis is under tight physiological regulation (even when there is little dietary source).

Beneficial results in studies of autoimmunity and such are probably due to a couple factors:

1. It suppresses the metabolism of omega 6 arachidonic acid into pro-inflammatory prostaglandins. (But saturated fat also does this...)

2. It suppresses immunity (and has been used as a successful method for inhibiting the rejection of an organ in organ transplants). Therefore, there is less perceived pain in autoimmune/inflammatory conditions whereby the immune system is in 'overdrive'. This may seem like a good thing short-term, but long-term it is questionable, due to the factors below.

3. It inhibits the function of thyroid gland, conversion of T4 to T3 in the liver, transport of T3 into cell, ability of mitochondria to metabolise substrate = all of this means that it lowers metabolism. The result of this is that there are "less nutrient requirements", but ultimately less adaptability to external stressors and reliance on cortisol metabolism.

Ultimately, Dr Valentine explains in Human Longevity that the metabolism of PUFA is essentially one of the most destructive processes for the cellular structure, and eventually destroys mitochondria. I tend to agree with the research on this.

Funnily enough I actually invested around £100 in krill oil a couple of months ago. Shortly after, I stumbled across all of this research I decided i did not want to consume the stuff, so still have 2 3/4 bottles left full.

What was your purpose for taking the Krill oil?

Ant22 said:
So in order to benefit from both iodine and iodide, vitamin C should be taken separately.

Absolutely and it should be taken about two or even more hours apart. Of course it is not really known what happens in the body and how fast iodine or vitamin c gets absorbed or digested in general, but better to be on the safe site.

Personally, I've had no negative effects from Krill oil, when I took it in the past. N. Gedgaudas says about Krill oil:

"Antarctic krill oil [...] is also a source of an extremely potent, naturally occurring protective antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent, a carotenoid known as astaxanthin. This along with naturally occurring phospholipids, can actually improve the use and protection of EPA and DHA in the body and brain better than conventional fish oil."

Keyhole said:
Yeah, from what I understand this applies to all polyunsaturated fatty acids. They play physiological roles in cold-blooded species, but the requirements for warm blooded creatures are virtually zero. The whole idea of "essential fatty acids" (omega 3s and 6s) is based on a massive assumption that there is a "phospholipid bilayer" cell membrane surrounding cells, supposedly made up of these essential fats. This is just a theory, and is has been disputed on several occasions. I will open a thread with the research at some point in the future.

I would be interested to read this, hoping that it won't be too dense :D I wonder what the other theory is regarding the makeup of the cell membrane and which studies they base that on.

Gedgaudas mentions the "critical enzyme", delta-6 desaturase, which is "essential to the process of elongation and desaturation into the active derivative forms of omega-3 fatty acids from ALA." Later on, she writes "Individuals of northern European, coastal Irish, Scandinavian, Inuit, and Native American descent may not produce this enzyme at all and may actually have an increased requirement for EPA and DHA due to genetic adaptation to the abundance of these substances in their ancestral diets." Therefore, assuming that what you say is true here: "Omega 3s and 6s are probably only required daily in extremely small amounts," that may not be the case for everyone.

Gawan said:
Ant22 said:

Absolutely and it should be taken about two or even more hours apart. Of course it is not really known what happens in the body and how fast iodine or vitamin c gets absorbed or digested in general, but better to be on the safe site.

Yes, I regularly drink vit C in water, and I always make sure that on days that I take iodine, I drink it at least a couple of hours after taking iodine.

hey keyhole, you asked for what purpose i decided to take the fish oil, from what i said above.. is there a situation where it would be beneficial?
seeing how i felt headaches for the 2 first day of use, I decided to take it today with all my breakfast ritual, also with the nac, thinking maybe it would negate the headache, and today i didn't have any so i wondered what changed ? is it because i added the nac ? (breakfast + b2, b3, selenium, magnesium, lugol, fish oil, nac, )

i think i'll experiment with and without it for some time to see how it feel the differences and I will surely put it aside if it feel weird because yeah it kind of hurt to have bought it for nothing espacialy since i'm kind of tight on budget (I still havn't got this lesson of reading the scientific material carefully, even if it's such a bored with all theses endless pages of medical jargon :lol: )

I feel very good though, my energy is good, no brain fog, more self-confidence and i can withstand the cravings and control myself, even when my bro is here smoking his plant, something i never though would be possible in his presence

thanks you all, Laura, Gaby and everyone contributing here on this wonderful forum :clap:

Keyhole said:
Ant22 said:

Omega 3s and 6s are probably only required daily in extremely small amounts, such as that contained in two eggs or so. It is needed for growth of the fetal nervous system etc, but the DHA contents is basically the same in newborns of vegetarian mothers as it is from mothers who consumed large amounts of omega 3, which suggests that DHA synthesis is under tight physiological regulation (even when there is little dietary source).

Beneficial results in studies of autoimmunity and such are probably due to a couple factors:

1. It suppresses the metabolism of omega 6 arachidonic acid into pro-inflammatory prostaglandins. (But saturated fat also does this...)

2. It suppresses immunity (and has been used as a successful method for inhibiting the rejection of an organ in organ transplants). Therefore, there is less perceived pain in autoimmune/inflammatory conditions whereby the immune system is in 'overdrive'. This may seem like a good thing short-term, but long-term it is questionable, due to the factors below.

3. It inhibits the function of thyroid gland, conversion of T4 to T3 in the liver, transport of T3 into cell, ability of mitochondria to metabolise substrate = all of this means that it lowers metabolism. The result of this is that there are "less nutrient requirements", but ultimately less adaptability to external stressors and reliance on cortisol metabolism.

Ultimately, Dr Valentine explains in Human Longevity that the metabolism of PUFA is essentially one of the most destructive processes for the cellular structure, and eventually destroys mitochondria. I tend to agree with the research on this.

Funnily enough I actually invested around £100 in krill oil a couple of months ago. Shortly after, I stumbled across all of this research I decided i did not want to consume the stuff, so still have 2 3/4 bottles left full.

What was your purpose for taking the Krill oil?

Geeze Keyhole, I don’t even know where to start. It's too early to make definite statements but you might have accidentally resolved a health nightmare I struggled with for almost a decade.

My main reason for taking iodine, krill oil (and a lot of other supplements) was debilitating fatigue and brain fogs I was suffering from for like 10 years. In the summer of 2015 it was so bad that there were moments when I was so sleepy I was literally losing track of conversations, I started to catch myself not remembering what was said to me or even what I myself said 5 minutes before. It wasn’t this bad all the time but it was progressively getting worse. My colleague once picked up on this and I was really scared I’d eventually get to a point I simply wouldn’t even be able to hold a job. And I work in a profession where I need to use my brain all the time.

The problems started around a year after I became vegetarian and because of that delay I didn’t put two and two together - or maybe I simply chose to deny it. :rolleyes:

Doctors weren’t exactly helpful. Blood tests never showed anything unusual so I was told to relax, avoid stress and do yoga. No other advice was ever given - and definitely no dietary advice.

Then my symptoms finally began to improve when I started the iodine protocol (December 2015) and started eating meat again (March 2016).
I finally felt like I got my life back, gosh, after all these years of sleepwalking I just couldn’t believe it!

But then, out of the blue, my symptoms came back in June 2016, six months after I started the iodine protocol. I just couldn’t make them go away, my condition would improve for a couple of days only to return again. It was nowhere near as bad as before iodine but not as good as between March and June 2016 either.

As a result of my own research I got tests for Hemochomatosis and MTHRF done in September last year. They both came back positive and managing those conditions with supplements helped quite a bit. But I just couldn’t get to the point I was at during the second quarter of 2016. Bouts of fatigue and brain fog were still there. I was happy I finally got some answers, especially that these conditions explained many other symptoms I had since I was 14 but I still felt they weren’t the complete answer.

Another piece of the puzzle was reading your posts about PUFA’s earlier this year in another thread (https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,43449.msg703463/topicseen.html#msg703463). I now suspect PUFA's were actually the main trigger from the beginning: the vegetarian diet obviously relies on vegetable oils and I used them a LOT. When I read your posts I cut them out almost completely - but I was still taking krill oil.

Now, what’s been puzzling me over the past two weeks was how good I’ve been feeling. As if I came back to that amazing time between March and June last year when my sleepwalking nightmare seemed to be over.

I obviously tried to work out what it was that I did differently but there seemed to be nothing - until I read your post above. It made me realise that over the last couple of weeks I haven’t been taking krill oil and I normally took 5 capsules per day! I have little jars with supplements prepared for the whole week in advance and recently for some reason I just could not bring myself to take them anymore.

The health improvement could have been caused by cutting out any other of the supplements I take but I did take them all in the first half of last year when my health seemed to be on the mend so that’s rather unlikely.

Now, the biggest clue came a moment ago when I checked my Amazon order history (this is where I buy most of my supplements): I ordered my first batch of krill oil in May 2016. A month before my fatigue came back.

Of course it may be just my wishful thinking triggered by hope that I finally came across a solution. I may even be omitting some pieces of the puzzle out of pure excitement so I’ll try to research the links between PUFA’s and the conditions I mentioned above to see if there is any link.

What prevented me from coming to the above conclusions was the fact that I’ve actually read plenty of reviews and studies proving benefits of krill oil. Heck, even some people on here said they felt better when they were taking it.

It may be another case of “no size fits all” and what worked for others might have been making me ill. But I must say I haven’t come across a lot of the things you said above at all so I guess my research skills need further development :P

I hope the above explanation makes sense despite being pretty lengthy. I will re-introduce all other supplements into my diet and see how it goes.

But if I’m correct, your posts may have solved a problem that in some ways robbed me of 10 years of my life. Thank you :flowers:

Keyhole said:

Thanks for this summary, Keyhole. The idea that we don’t need to add EPA / DHA supplements has been quite a revelation, as many of alternative doctors such as Dr. Mercola and Jack Kruse still recommend high intake of EPA and DHA. So it will be interesting to learn more about the recent research disputing these claims.

I have a testimonial of the benefits of iodine in a HIV friend. Since years ago he rejected to take antiretrovirals and has a regime of IV trace elements, vit c (1 g) and b complex every now and then, and acupuncture and lymph massage which allows him to keep a viral load undetectable through years, however the Lymphocyte loading never exceeded the value of 3000 cells/ml, which his physician told was a normal value for a people with a compromised immune system, but after a year taking lugol's in 10-20 mg daily and magnesium, he is over 5000 which is a value for a healthy person. Thyroid indicators are on range. ;)
Patient pays

aleana said:
Keyhole said:

Thanks for this summary, Keyhole. The idea that we don’t need to add EPA / DHA supplements has been quite a revelation, as many of alternative doctors such as Dr. Mercola and Jack Kruse still recommend high intake of EPA and DHA. So it will be interesting to learn more about the recent research disputing these claims.

Keyhole,

I feel the same as Ant22 and aleana that this sheds a lot more light on the importance of the PUFA research. So far it seems like you were on to an important missing piece at least for me.

Thank you.

whitecoast said:
onemen said:
Taking Probiotics (amazon) some time in the evening when on empty stomach

Dinner: Butter, sweet potato/rice with a bit of meat or "saucisson/paté"

Hi onemen, it may be helpful to add a bit of fiber to your diet at night when using probiotics. That feeds the critters and helps them "take" better. If you're still eating lots of starches, there's a chance you may still be supporting a candida overgrowth in your gut, which will help prevent the good bacteria from taking over. The longer you stay in ketosis the more this goes away, especially if you take antifungals like black walnut, oregano oil, or iodine (at high enough concentrations). So if it feels like it's taking awhile for the probiotics to take effect don't get discouraged. :)
I was reading this article just now about probiotics surviving better when eaten with a fatty meal
https://mrheisenbug.wordpress.com/2014/03/28/probiotics-survive-better-with-some-fat-its-the-ph/
The reason Lactic Acid bacteria (LABs) in probiotics and fermented food survive better is because of the pH buffering effect of food, and particularly fat. The stomach and its acids provide a very harsh environment for bacteria, as they should — that’s how we keep a lot of pathogens out. The stomach’s fasting gastric pH is about 1.5. That’s very low, even for the acid-loving LABs. What’s ideal? Broadly speaking, it looks like survivability grows and hits its peak at around a pH of 5. L. plantarum hits its peak at 4.8, in that study. And here’s a chart of L. plantarum growth in sauerkraut, which confirms that.

How does that line up with the effect of food on stomach acidity? Like so:

Humans secrete approximately 2.5 liters of gastric juice each day, generating a fasting gastric pH of 1.5, which increases to between pH 3.0 and 5.0 during feeding.

Well would you look at that. And when you look at how fermented foods are traditionally consumed, it makes perfect sense. Fermented dairy seems like quite a probiotic package, with its protein and fat content providing what is likely a pretty good pH buffer for LABs. And in the case of sauerkraut and kimchi, we know that these foods are traditionally consumed as condiments as part of larger meals that most often include meat and fat.

So it seems that if you are looking to maximize the effect of fermented food consumption it would be wise to consume some sausage with that sauerkraut, and some Korean BBQ with that kimchi.
So maybe having probiotics on an empty stomach isn't so good for their survival? You could just skip the stomach entirely and use a probiotic enema for maximum survival rate.
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,42951.0.html

Attachments

• probiotics.PNG
    probiotics.PNG
    89.2 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom