Jordan Peterson: Gender Pronouns and Free Speech War

Oxajil said:
I came across the following the other day. An 85 year old social worker wrote to a LGBT+ Google plus page:

Hello, I am Ernst Steiner, a social worker who is the founder of Heart Progress and a progressive activist. I have worked to fund gay rights campaigns across the globe. As an open-minded person, I work to help change society in a logical and reasonable manner. So, I have decided to bring up a topic that may be deemed controversial to some, but is still important.

I know that there are plenty of pedosexuals out there, and I know you are probably scared to come out and talk about your feelings, so I have decided to create a post for the most discriminated group in modern society.

Now, this topic is strictly for the discussion of pedosexuality, pedosexual rights, and ways we can make a difference. It is NOT for you to share illegal content. If you are not a pedosexual, then you are still welcome to join this discussion, but please refrain from bigotry and hate, and PLEASE be open-minded. Education is key for progress.

Please keep in mind that I am not a pedosexual, I simply support the rights of those who are different. Please be open-minded, and please be empathetic with those different than you. Be sure to join my community, "Heart Progress", for further discussion of this topic and others that have to do with LBGT rights, and much more.

He also wrote: "Pedosexuals need the LBGT movement, as they are a persecuted minority group of human beings who deserve to at least be persecuted less severely. Plenty of studies have shown that their behavior is not nearly as harmful as originally thought, and that they can actually help a child develop, so why persecute these people who are born in such a way that people have a tendency to blindly hate?"

And: "I just want to help people realize that more progress can be made in the name of acceptance and equality."

Right... :ohboy: Luckily he doesn't have much of a following, but I can imagine there are individuals like him out there who are trying to get pedophilia to be accepted. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the social justice warriors will start supporting these people.

That's pretty creepy, and kind of confirms what I've suspected, that the whole gender pronoun and social justice thing - including gay rights (both of which go back a few decades at least) are part of the manifestation of the decay and destruction of the foundations of traditional human society. In this world, that apparently means the introduction and normalization of fundamentally deviant and 'anti-human' ideologies and practices, where deviancy is no longer deviant but merely 'different' and therefore to be embraced in the interest of 'justice' 'equality' and 'truth'.

Joe said:
[...]
That's pretty creepy, and kind of confirms what I've suspected, that the whole gender pronoun and social justice thing - including gay rights (both of which go back a few decades at least) are part of the manifestation of the decay and destruction of the foundations of traditional human society. In this world, that apparently means the introduction and normalization of fundamentally deviant and 'anti-human' ideologies and practices, where deviancy is no longer deviant but merely 'different' and therefore to be embraced in the interest of 'justice' 'equality' and 'truth'.

Yep, that seems to sum it up pretty much, and I do wonder if it is even possible to consider the emergence of that kind of state of affairs today, which seems to have taken several decades, if not centuries, to develop to this stage, without a "higher factor" involved, that pulls the strings on the ground, through human agents?

It just strikes me how effective it has all been, on a global level, but then again, from a even broughter perspective, it looks like a natural circle is closing, where things need to balance themselves out again.

Pashalis said:
Joe said:
[...]

Yep, that seems to sum it up pretty much, and I do wonder if it is even possible to consider the emergence of that kind of state of affairs today, which seems to have taken several decades, if not centuries, to develop to this stage, without a "higher factor" involved, that pulls the strings on the ground, through human agents?

It just strikes me how effective it has all been, on a global level, but then again, from a even broughter perspective, it looks like a natural circle is closing, where things need to balance themselves out again.

It's pretty much a dead end. Won't last much longer. It's 'false' phase.

I knew Liberals don't give a damn about being multicultural. When minorities decide to choose differently than their worldview, they push them in the meatgrinder just like everyone else who is 'intolerant' to their social engineering plan. And they don't mind insulting you on your religion or race either.

You are either with them or against them. They just use minorities to show how 'good' and 'caring' they are. They don't care about them at all. It's just a way to push their agenda forwards.

Georgetown Professor to Muslim Trump Supporter ‘F**k You. Go To Hell’
https://sputniknews.com/us/201612291049088995-georgetown-professor-muslim-abuse/

An abuse complaint has been filed against a “Peace and Security Studies” professor at Georgetown University, who has been on a month-long tirade against a Muslim former-colleague after the latter voted for Donald Trump.

On December 23, Wall Street Journal reporter and former Georgetown journalism professor Asra Q. Nomani announced that she had filed a complaint against associate professor Christine Fair, following 31 days of public harassment. Fair’s attacks spanned Facebook and Twitter, after Nomani published a column in the Washington Post explaining why she, as a liberal Muslim woman, voted for Trump.

“For my vote in the U.S. electoral process, Prof. Fair has leveled relentless abuse against me, including the accusation that I have ‘pimped’ myself out, a demeaning and sexist accusation that amounts to calling me a prostitute and -jezebel--shaming me. She has written to me to ‘go -flick- off,’ and publicly stated: ‘So again Ms. Nomani ‘F**K YOU. GO TO HELL.’’ And she has called me a ‘wench’ and ‘chutiya,’ or the equivalent of a ‘f**ker’ in my native Urdu,” Nomani’s complaint with the university details.

Nomani’s column detailed that, while she is a lifelong liberal and supports the Democratic Party’s position on abortion, same-sex marriage and climate change, as a single mother she could not afford the cost of Obamacare. This lead to her being repeatedly publicly branded a “Nazi” by Fair.

“How about thise[sic] Nazis in DC this weekend? Condemn that too, Unless you were there,” Fair tweeted at Nomani on November 22. Nomani responded by tweeting at her former colleague that, “the snark and personal attacks on me @CChristineFair are unfortunate. I will never speak to you so disrespectfully. I condemn ALL hate.” Fair kept up the attacks, however, saying that Nomani, “didn’t condemn it at the ballot box.” “On Dec. 2, 2016, I filed a complaint with the Political Science Department, seeking that the department provide Prof. Fair with training in civil discourse. I did not seek termination of her employment. I believe Prof. Fair needs training in how to engage in public discourse with civility. Prof. Fair responded with a threat of legal action,” Nomani wrote.

See twitter screenshots on website to see what she wrote

Fair, in an unhinged slew of attacks, repeatedly used Nomani’s gender and religion in attempts to shame her for her vote.

“When I alerted Georgetown via Twitter to Christine Fair’s name-calling and harassment, she publicly accused me of being an atheist, which she knows amounts to being an apostate in Islam, something that has carried a death sentence for atheists in Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia and elsewhere. I am not an atheist although I respect those who choose atheism. I am a Muslim woman whom Prof. Fair has targeted for attack, using my race, religion and political views against me.” Nomani is now seeking for Fair to be investigated for her actions, and has asked for a public apology, as well as having the associate professor retrained on how to engage in civil discourse. Fair’s personal website states that “she can cause trouble in multiple languages,” and her YouTube features videos such as “Introducing the Pussy Avenger” and “Tales of My Pussy,” the Daily Caller notes.

bjorn said:
I knew Liberals don't give a damn about being multicultural. When minorities decide to choose differently than their worldview, they push them in the meatgrinder just like everyone else who is 'intolerant' to their social engineering plan. And they don't mind insulting you on your religion or race either.

You are either with them or against them. They just use minorities to show how 'good' and 'caring' they are. They don't care about them at all. It's just a way to push their agenda forwards.

https://sputniknews.com/us/201612291049088995-georgetown-professor-muslim-abuse/

An abuse complaint has been filed against a “Peace and Security Studies” professor at Georgetown University, who has been on a month-long tirade against a Muslim former-colleague after the latter voted for Donald Trump.

On December 23, Wall Street Journal reporter and former Georgetown journalism professor Asra Q. Nomani announced that she had filed a complaint against associate professor Christine Fair, following 31 days of public harassment. Fair’s attacks spanned Facebook and Twitter, after Nomani published a column in the Washington Post explaining why she, as a liberal Muslim woman, voted for Trump.

“For my vote in the U.S. electoral process, Prof. Fair has leveled relentless abuse against me, including the accusation that I have ‘pimped’ myself out, a demeaning and sexist accusation that amounts to calling me a prostitute and -jezebel--shaming me. She has written to me to ‘go -flick- off,’ and publicly stated: ‘So again Ms. Nomani ‘F**K YOU. GO TO HELL.’’ And she has called me a ‘wench’ and ‘chutiya,’ or the equivalent of a ‘f**ker’ in my native Urdu,” Nomani’s complaint with the university details.

Nomani’s column detailed that, while she is a lifelong liberal and supports the Democratic Party’s position on abortion, same-sex marriage and climate change, as a single mother she could not afford the cost of Obamacare. This lead to her being repeatedly publicly branded a “Nazi” by Fair.

“How about thise[sic] Nazis in DC this weekend? Condemn that too, Unless you were there,” Fair tweeted at Nomani on November 22. Nomani responded by tweeting at her former colleague that, “the snark and personal attacks on me @CChristineFair are unfortunate. I will never speak to you so disrespectfully. I condemn ALL hate.” Fair kept up the attacks, however, saying that Nomani, “didn’t condemn it at the ballot box.” “On Dec. 2, 2016, I filed a complaint with the Political Science Department, seeking that the department provide Prof. Fair with training in civil discourse. I did not seek termination of her employment. I believe Prof. Fair needs training in how to engage in public discourse with civility. Prof. Fair responded with a threat of legal action,” Nomani wrote.

Fair, in an unhinged slew of attacks, repeatedly used Nomani’s gender and religion in attempts to shame her for her vote.

“When I alerted Georgetown via Twitter to Christine Fair’s name-calling and harassment, she publicly accused me of being an atheist, which she knows amounts to being an apostate in Islam, something that has carried a death sentence for atheists in Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia and elsewhere. I am not an atheist although I respect those who choose atheism. I am a Muslim woman whom Prof. Fair has targeted for attack, using my race, religion and political views against me.” Nomani is now seeking for Fair to be investigated for her actions, and has asked for a public apology, as well as having the associate professor retrained on how to engage in civil discourse. Fair’s personal website states that “she can cause trouble in multiple languages,” and her YouTube features videos such as “Introducing the Pussy Avenger” and “Tales of My Pussy,” the Daily Caller notes.

Indeed, this Christine Fair woman is a nasty piece of work. She has her own youtube channel, and this one is particularly informative as she tries with all her might (unsuccessfully) to justify the killing of innocent civilians by US drone strikes in Pakistan.

https://youtu.be/n4l14aKNahM

Indeed, this Christine Fair woman is a nasty piece of work. She has her own youtube channel, and this one is particularly informative as she tries with all her might (unsuccessfully) to justify the killing of innocent civilians by US drone strikes in Pakistan.

I think one of the nastiest things about left-wing ideologies is the idea of "solidarity", which basically mandates that all groups which have benefited from some left-leaning policies are beholden to uphold the rest of their agenda. In a way it is similar to how a covert aggressive individual may do a number of superfluous favors to a targeted individual, only to turn around and put the screws on them and demand all kind of things in return from them. Many abusive relationships work around this dynamic. You tow the line, or your protection gets revoked. They've thrown many minority members under the bus for daring to have conservative (or just insufficiently progressive) opinions.

Timótheos said:

Ugh! What's great about these types is how they blatantly expose themselves as nasty, obnoxious, and just completely unable to have a normal conversation. These people are like clones of one another. Another can be found in this exchange that Eva Bartlett had to suffer through:

https://youtu.be/lkjVK18H1z8

I find it fascinating to see how far the 'left' has fallen over the course of the past eight years. I suspect they'll continue to out themselves even more fervently in coming times.

Timótheos said:
bjorn said:

https://youtu.be/n4l14aKNahM

The bolded part seems correct, bjorn. They don't care about them one iota, they just placate them for their votes.

As for this CF woman, yes, what a piece of work. The article was covered by SoTT also https://www.sott.net/article/338199-Georgetown-professor-launches-social-media-attack-on-Muslim-woman-who-voted-for-Trump-equated-her-to-Nazis-and-told-her-F-You-Go-To-Hell and the closing comment speaks for itself:

Comment: As an educator Christine Fair is in a position of authority and influence both professionally and privately and therefore should be setting an example for her peers and students, not tearing shreds out of a woman and attacking her character for choosing to vote for Trump. It's hypocritical of Fair who claims to hate Trump for his sexism, racism and bigotry to then display these things herself in this social media tirade.

Her arguments concerning drone strikes and her "social desirability bias" shtick among those reporting in Pakistan - also based on her polling, good grief. :rolleyes:

[quote author= voyageur]The bolded part seems correct, bjorn. They don't care about them one iota, they just placate them for their votes.[/quote]

Yes, and it's more than just a mask. In the name of 'tolerance' they seem to be war at religion and everything else that practises sexuality as nature intended, in other words. Religion = intolerant for them. So it needs to be banned. Their 'Tolerance' = is obviously only about control, the only thing they will truly be tolerant to will be pedophiles (their kind) when the programming is complete. The Psychopath Elite are Litterally creating humanity in their own image. The things they have to practice in the shadows, they want to turn in our reality.

I am starting to wonder if the rise of the extreme-right only exists to push the Liberal agenda forwards. Liberals only seem to get more power because of it. The extreme right, feeds the extreme left and only makes them stronger. After all, you need 'Hitler' like people as a pretext to clamp down on the population to prevent the ''Fourth Reich'' from rising.

But the Liberal agenda is nothing like the reincarnation of the fourth Reich. What they have in mind is far more Evil than the Nazi's ever had.

Liberals at war with religion :

5 Times Liberals Have Tried to Ruin Christmas
http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/5-times-liberals-tried-ruin-christmas/

Surveys indicate that conservatives are vastly happier than their liberal counterparts. It’s probably a motivating factor in why Democrats spend their careers trying to control the lives of others, making people ostensibly dependent and miserable in the process. It stands to reason that come holiday time, when emotions tend to be amplified, miserable liberals would be at their worst.Here are 5 times that libs have gone out of their way to ruin Christmas for everybody else …

Senior Apartment Complex Bans Christmas Trees
A senior apartment complex in Newhall, California banned their resident’s community hall Christmas tree because it was um … a reminder that some people do still celebrate religious holidays.

Via the LA Daily News (H/T: Drudge):

Residents in a Newhall senior apartment complex are protesting an order from management to remove their beloved Christmas tree from the community room because, they were told, it’s a religious symbol. On Tuesday, Tarzana-based JB Partners Group Inc. sent a memo to staff at The Willows senior apartment building demanding they take down Christmas trees and menorahs in communal areas.

Army Advises Soldiers Not To Say Christmas

Last Christmas, an Equal Opportunity Officer from the Army advised soldiers not to say the word 'Christmas.'

Via Fox News:

Two weeks ago, a routine meeting was held at the Mississippi base with various leaders of the 158th Infantry Brigade. During the meeting, they discussed an upcoming Christmas football tournament. The equal opportunity officer immediately objected to the usage of the word “Christmas.”

“Our equal opportunity representative stopped the briefing and told us that we can’t say Christmas,” the soldier told me. “Almost the entire room blew up. Everybody was frustrated. The equal opportunity rep told our commander that not everyone celebrates Christmas and we couldn’t say Christmas celebration. It had to be holiday celebration.”
The soldier said there was a brief, but heated discussion about political correctness.

Obamacare Advocates Release Ad Featuring Half-Naked Men

Apparently, Obamacare shills felt the only way to get their message through to the LGBT community is to show half-naked men in blatantly suggestive imagery.
No, we’re not kidding …

Perverse pic on website

School Somehow Cuts Religious References In Silent Night

The popular Christmas song Silent Night was written by a young Roman Catholic priest by the name of Joseph Mohr. The song was first performed on Christmas Eve at St. Nicholas Church in Oberndorf, Austria. The song is about the birth of Jesus Christ. Despite these religious facts, a school in Long Island decided to remove references to Jesus Christ from the song for a 5th Grade choir concert to “avoid offending non-Christians.”

Via CBS New York (H/T: Gateway Pundit):

The song “Silent Night” is at the heart of a concert controversy on Long Island.

Kings Park school officials removed several religious references, including “Holy infant” and “Christ the Savior,” from the popular Christmas carol before a student concert last week, WCBS 880′s Mike Xirinachs reported.

The intent was to avoid offending non-Christians, but the change left others upset.

Atheists Hammer School For Bringing Kids to See ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’

An elementary school in Little Rock, Arkansas, had the audacity to bring their students to a church performance of “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” An uproar was caused by a parent or two who took umbrage to the religious content and religious venue for the play. Even though the school offered parents a chance to opt their child out of the field trip if they so desired, somebody wasn’t content with the option, and instead contacted an atheist group. And since atheist groups had nothing better to do than ruin holidays for children, they made their complaints heard.

Via NBC 17:

An Arkansas church has canceled its matinee performances of a “A Charlie Brown Christmas” after receiving complaints from an atheist group. Agape Church in Little Rock said it has decided to cancel the play, based on the popular television special, after receiving complaints from the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers. The group opposed the decision of first and second grade teachers at Terry Elementary School to take students to the performance at the church…

… The pastor at the church, Happy Caldwell, said the outrage has forced him to cancel the matinee performance because “it is not our desire to put hard working, sacrificial teachers and cast members in harm’s way.”

With that last item in mind, we’d like to return the favor and ruin Christmas for liberals.
Here is a video clip of easily the most offensive portion of A Charlie Brown Christmas in liberal or atheist eyes – Linus, quoting scripture in an attempt to quantify the true meaning of Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CojUP5nRidA

High School Bans Students From Holding Prayer Group in Free Time
http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/11/high-school-bans-students-holding-prayer-group-free-time/

A Colorado high school banned a group of students from praying, singing Christian songs, and discussing religious topics in their free time.

Citing “separation of church and state,” officials at Pine Creek High School told Chase Windebank, a senior, that he and his classmates no longer were allowed to use an unoccupied choir room for religious purposes.

Windebank and some classmates at Pine Creek High School, north of Colorado Springs, had been holding meeting for prayer for three years during free time.
The school grants students such as Windebank, who are in good academic standing, permission to leave during the second half of their homeroom seminar. While other classmates spent that time reading, studying, texting, snacking, socializing, or meeting in school clubs, Windebank held a prayer group.

After Assistant Principal James Lucas told Windebank on Sept. 29 that he could hold his prayer meetings only before or after school hours, he consulted lawyers at Alliance Defending Freedom, seeking protection of his right to freedom of religion and speech.

Alliance Defending Freedom filed a federal lawsuit Friday in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado on Windebank’s behalf.
“Public schools should encourage the free exchange of ideas. Instead, this school implemented an ill-conceived ban that singles out religious speech for censorship during free time,” Jeremy Tedesco, senior legal counsel, said.

Academy School District No. 20 and its legal counsel support Pine Creek’s decision to prohibit Windebank from holding his prayer group.
In a statement to The Daily Signal, a spokeswoman for the school district said that to continue holding his meetings, Windebank must do so during “non-instructional” hours:
Students in good academic standing may leave the seminar classroom to participate in curriculum-related activities such as studying in the library or with study groups, seeking individual assistance from staff members, or meeting with curriculum-related clubs. Seminar is not a period of time during which students may engage in non-curriculum-related activities, religious or otherwise, or participate in non-curriculum related clubs.

Matt Sharp, legal counsel with Alliance Defending Freedom, said public schools have “no business” stopping students from praying together during free time. Religious speech, he said, is “expressly protected by the First Amendment.”

T.C. said:
A new video of Camille Paglia talking about the link between transgender mania and cultural collapse.

https://youtu.be/I8BRdwgPChQ

I really enjoyed this video. There was another video here as well, about political pressure to eliminate masculinity, as well as education about ancient civilization and orthodox religion (even as an atheist she admonishes the lack of public education about this).

https://youtu.be/vvrxQ4M3EOo

Here is an excellent New Years article by Jordan Peterson:

http://jordanbpeterson.com/2016/12/new-years-letter/

My New Year’s Letter to the World

Dear World:

On January 16, I am going to talk with Sam Harris, on his podcast, Waking Up with Sam Harris. Dr. Harris is one of the so-called New Atheists, of which there are four. Like the other three Christopher Hitchens, Dan Dennett and Richard Dawkins – who, by the way, I have always particularly to debate — Dr. Harris is a smart guy, and I’m certainly not complaining that I will encounter him, instead of Dawkins. So I am preparing my arguments, carefully (although I have been doing so for years. The specific ideas I am going to share with you today were obsessing me the moment I woke up, somewhat fitfully, this morning, so I dictated them to my son, and then edited them.

The central problem of human beings isn’t religion, as the New Atheists insist. It’s tribalism. We know this in part because chimps, our closest biological kin, go to war, and they are not religious, although they are tribal. Tribalism also has a central problem — and it’s not competition, despite the tendency of competition to produce, at least temporarily, winners and losers. it’s cooperation, because cooperation is what allows us to exist as bounded groups. A group, by definition is a collective cooperatively aiming at something. It can’t be aimed at nothing, because nothing cannot unite. It only divides. Thus, attacks on collective purpose, because of its tendency to produce tribalism, merely divides. The politics of identity, which emerge when the central purpose is criticized too destructively, inevitably produce the situation described in the story of the Tower of Babel: Everyone fragments into primitive tribes and speaks their own language.

One alternative to fragmentation is union under a banner – a collective ideal, cause, or purpose. The problem with uniting under a banner, as the postmodernists who push identity politics rightly point out, is that to value something means simultaneously to devalue other things. Thus to value is an exclusionary process. But the alternative is valuelessness, which is equivalent to nihilism – and nihilism does not produce freedom from exclusion. It just makes everyone excluded, and that is an intolerable state, directionless, uncertain, chaotic, and angst-ridden. When such uncertainty reaches a critical level, the counter-response appears: first the unconscious and then the collectively expressed demand for a leader, possessed by the spirit of totalitarian certainty, who promises above all, to restore Order. Thus, a society without a unifying principle, oscillates, unmoored, between nihilism and totalitarianism.

Human beings have been wrestling with this problem since the beginning of civilization, when our capacity to form large groups, for all its advantages, also started to pose a new threat: that of the hyper-domination of the state, collective or purpose. But without the state, there is just fragmentation into smaller groups. The group itself cannot be done away with because for better or worse, human beings are social animals, not loners, like sharks or tigers. We’re team players, but being on one team means not being on others. This means that any given team sidelines, marginalizes, and alienates those who cannot play their game, as well as conflicting with other teams.

In the west, starting in the Middle East, thousands of years ago, a new idea began to emerge (evolve is not too strong a word) in the collective imagination. You might, following Dawkins, consider it a meme, although this is far too weak a word. This idea, whose development can be traced back through Egypt to Mesopotamia, before disappearing into unwritten history, is that of the Divine Individual. This eons-old work of the imagination is a dramatic presentation of an emergent idea, which is the solution to how to organize social being without falling prey to nihilistic divisiveness or deceitful totalitarian certainty: The group must unite under the banner of the individual. The individual is the source of the new wisdom that updates the antiquated, nihilistic or totalitarian detritus and glory of the past.

For better for worse, that idea reaches its apogee in Christianity. The divine individual is masculine because the feminine is not individual: The divine feminine is, instead, mother and child. However, it a hallmark of Christian supposition that the redemption of both men and women comes through the masculine, and that is because the masculine is the individual. The central realization – expressed dramatically; symbolically – is that the subordination of the group to the ideal of the Divine Individual is the answer to the paradox of nihilism and totalitarianism.

The Divine Individual is the man that every man admires, and the man whom all women want their men to be. The Divine Individual is the ideal from which deviations are punished by the group with contempt and disgrace and fidelity to which is rewarded with attention and honor. The Divine Individual is not the winner of any individual game but the player who plays fair and is therefore continually invited to play. The Divine Individual is the builder, maintainer and expander of the state, he who boldly goes where no man has gone before, and someone who eternally watches over the widows and the children. His power of direct and honest communication is that which identifies, discusses and resolves the continually emergent problems of human existence. He is the Savior of the World.

The primary image for women is not the Divine Individual, because of the heavy burden they bear for reproduction. It is, instead, the Divine Mother and Child. This is not to say that man is the Divine Individual, and woman is not, although such confusion is understandable, given the complexity of the problem. Men, like women, have the Divine Mother and Child as an element of their personality. In men, however, it’s in the background, so to speak, as the Divine Individual is in the background of the psyche for women. Men, by necessity, play a less primary role in the care of children. This frees them to act as individuals in a manner that up to now has been nearly impossible for women. Identification with these images is belief in them. Belief is not the statement of agreement with a set of facts, but the willingness to act something out, to become something, to stake your life on something. For men and women alike, this means voluntary adoption of responsibility – responsibility for oneself, family and state. In that responsibility, and not in rights, resides Meaning itself – the meaning that makes life bearable.

Societies that refuse to recognize both of these elements therefore doom their inhabitants to purposelessness, unhappiness, sterility, and the aforementioned dangers of nihilistic divisiveness and deceitful, oppressive totalitarian certainty. The meaning in responsibility is the necessary meaning in life, which can serve as a counterbalance to its terrible fragility and tenuousness.
People must unite under the banner, not of their group, and not of nothingness, but of the individual. This is a brilliant and intrinsically paradoxical solution to the problems of nihilistic nothingness and too-rigid group identity alike. It is the consciousness of the individual which transforms the chaos of potential into habitable cosmos, as the greatest origin stories repeatedly insist. It is that same consciousness which stands up, rebellious and revelatory, to break down the pathological and too rigid order of that cosmos when it has become old, infirm, wilfully blind, and corrupt. It is that consciousness which is the image of God. It dwells within every embodied human form. The fact of its existence is the reason that the Law of the Land itself must be bound by ultimate respect for the individual, regardless of his or her sins and crimes.

It is that consciousness, not the objective material substrate of Being, which should be regarded as the ultimate reality. There is no self-evident reason why dead matter should be given ontological primacy over living spirit. Although doing so has produced a massive increase in human technological power, it has left that power in hands of an increasingly disenchanted populace, and that presents a mortal danger. Such power must be wielded by those who have truly and voluntarily accepted the responsibility of Being, lest it prove fatal.

The West has long been the civilised embodiment of the idea of the divine individual, who does exactly that. That’s what the voluntarily lifting of the cross of suffering symbolically represents. For all its faults, which are manifold, the West has therefore served as a shining beacon of hope to those destined to inhabit places too chaotic or too rigid for the human spirit to tolerate. But the West is in grave danger of losing its way. The negative consequences of this can hardly be overstated.

A close reading of 20th century history indicates, as nothing else can, the horrors that accompany loss of faith in the idea of the individual. It is only the individual, after all, who suffers. The group does not suffer – only those who compose it. Thus, the reality of the individual must be regarded as primary if suffering is to be regarded seriously. Without such regard, there can be no motivation to reduce suffering and, therefore, no respite. Instead, the production of individual suffering can and has and will be again rationalized and justified for its supposed benefits for the future and the group.

Effective birth control has emerged as one of the consequences of our powerful technological materialism. This has been accompanied by the rise of states sufficiently civilized so that women who inhabit them can walk the streets unaccompanied in safety. We do not yet know how to balance the opportunities thus provided for expanded female individuality with the eternal necessity for a woman to serve as the Mother of the Divine Individual. Dividing our civilization into polarized ideological camps of female group identity and male group identity is certainly not the answer. We have to be honest, male and female alike, about what we really want, as individuals, and talk it out. We know beyond dispute that societies who emancipate their women are much more productive and peaceful, and that the relationship is causal. Thus, it’s not a matter of if but how.

But such emancipation places a dual burden on the now more autonomous woman, who is required to balance manifesting the potential of her individual spirit with the necessity of desire to bear and rear the next generation of mankind. To live with free women, and gain the advantages of their freedom and sophistication, men must therefore bring their shadowed psychic identification with the Divine Mother and Child into the light, without losing their Divine Individuality in the process. They must consciously, voluntarily, deliberately and strategically accept their responsibility for the relationship between autonomous female companionship, support, love, and the responsibility of producing that next generation. This means rejecting, among other things, the misbegotten idea of casual sexual gratification. Sex is either the impulsive, short-term gratification of a domineering biological impulse, or the union of two conscious spirits taking responsibility for what they are doing. The former is not commensurate with the demands of an advanced civilization, which requires the adoption of responsibility above all for its preservation, maintenance and expansion. It is for this reason that the sexualized interactions between young men and women – in universities, for example — are increasingly and inevitably falling under the harsh and tyrannical regulation of the state.

In the west, we are, as well, shuttering our great cathedrals – those marvelous, monumental embodiments of the idea of the Divine Individual on which our civilisation is based. This is no mere practical, material, matter: it is a symbolic and ideational process whose importance cannot be overstated. Without that central idea, we will dissolve, and be lost. It is time for each of us to consciously realize what the great symbolic stories of the past insist upon: That we are all sons and daughters of the divine Logos, consciousness itself — Bearers of its Light – and that we must act in accordance with that great central fact, lest all hell break loose. This means, above all, to tell the truth and to care for one another, starting at the level of the individual and proceeding from that, out to the broader reaches of society itself. The alternative, as those same stories have also always insisted, is the more permanent instantiation of the horror that we already saw manifest itself in multiple forms, in the last bloody, terrible, century.

We need to wake up, individual man and woman alike, and we need to do it now. Each of us must take the world on our shoulders, insofar as we are capable of that, and adopt individual responsibility for the horrors and suffering its existence entails. In that we will find the Meaning without which Life is merely the suffering that breeds, first, resentment and then the desire for vengeance and destruction. We need to take responsibility, instead of incessantly insisting on our rights. We need to become adults, instead of aged children. We need to tell the truth. We need justice and compassion, conjoined; not judgment and pity, which crush and devour.

So, in the coming year, make yourself a better person. Fix what you can and would fix. Start now. There is something right in front of you, demanding repair, calling out to your conscience, if you would only attend to it, for your corrective efforts, however primitive they may yet be. Start small. As you master the process, you can safely and competently expand your reach. You will then become able to fix bigger things, instead of making them worse, in the arrogance of your ignorance. If you do this, there will be less pointless and unnecessary suffering, and the world, for all its shortcoming and faults, will be a better place.

Until we can imagine better than that, that is Meaning and Purpose enough.

Happy New Year, and best wishes to you all.

T.C. said:
This woman's got some interesting things to say on the subject:

https://youtu.be/BwJ0DYsBZfw

She's a very interesting woman. I was looking up on article about her. And this quote really struck me: "A related development, which Williams partly attributes to feminism and other forms of identity politics, is a trend for students to be encouraged to reflect on their own experience. “What people are being taught is that their subjective experience is…more important than any kind of ‘fact’ of the situation…[Feelings] are the one thing that can’t be challenged or questioned, because they are completely subjective,” she says."

She managed to put in word something I've feeling for a long time but couldn't quite manage to explain properly. This is especially an issue when debating things such as feminism and what it means for black women.

DianaRose94 said:
T.C. said:
This woman's got some interesting things to say on the subject:

https://youtu.be/BwJ0DYsBZfw

She's a very interesting woman. I was looking up on article about her. And this quote really struck me: "A related development, which Williams partly attributes to feminism and other forms of identity politics, is a trend for students to be encouraged to reflect on their own experience. “What people are being taught is that their subjective experience is…more important than any kind of ‘fact’ of the situation…[Feelings] are the one thing that can’t be challenged or questioned, because they are completely subjective,” she says."

She managed to put in word something I've feeling for a long time but couldn't quite manage to explain properly. This is especially an issue when debating things such as feminism and what it means for black women.

Just to clarify, I've read some of her other articles...and I can't say I agree with all of her views, especially on feminism. Take this article, for example, in which she criticizes radical feminists http://www.spiked-online.com/review_of_books/article/meet-the-feminists-who-dont-like-women/16956#.WGkzjZVvjui . I think she's completely missing the point. She's essentially saying that radical feminists hate women and anything usually associated with feminity. She's more or less saying that celebrities like Beyonce, Madonna, Miley Cyrus and even Kim Kardashian are advancing the cause of woman which is laughable. They're only advancing their bank account. I have a feeling that she's also pro-pornography and pro-sex work (prostitution/ stripping). My problem with her is the problem I have with most conservative libertarian.

Going more on topic. Peterson's fight against silly pronoum and respect of gender is admirable. However, there are things that irk me about him, such as his pro-west, pro-Christianity bias. Besides, the way he talks about women at times is a bit perplexing to me.

Jefferson said:
Here is an excellent New Years article by Jordan Peterson:

http://jordanbpeterson.com/2016/12/new-years-letter/

He just released a video on youtube where he reads this letter out loud to the audience. He admits to being sick recently and becomes visibly emotional a few times during the recording. It seems like the stress of the situation may be having a negative affect on his health. He is so passionate about his subject and feels so strongly about the disastrous direction society is heading, combined with his history with depression, I really feel for the guy.

I doubt whether entering into a debate with an atheist like Sam Harris is worthwhile or productive strategy for him at this time.

https://youtu.be/YnEFt20qe0o

Timótheos said:
I doubt whether entering into a debate with an atheist like Sam Harris is worthwhile or productive strategy for him at this time.

I think that gathering as many allies as possible, and of various colors, is not a bad strategy. Sam Harris happened to make a few talks on that subject. In one, where he presents, and comments on (in a supportive way), parts of Jonathan Haidt's talk on social justice, he makes a reference to the other case in BC, Canada, and also to Peterson's battle (starting around 7:00, but you won't waste you time watching all 12 mins).

https://youtu.be/92qWsjOQf5E

Back
Top Bottom