Jupiter Ascending

Rabelais

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
This looks like it might be a decent sci-fi flick. Directed by the Wachowskis. US release date 18 July, 2014. I doubt they'll feel the need to early test market this one in Europe. Its obviously slated to be a summer blockbuster.

The storyline:

Jupiter Jones was born under a night sky, with signs predicting that she was destined for great things. Now grown, Jupiter dreams of the stars but wakes up to the cold reality of a job cleaning toilets and an endless run of bad breaks. Only when Caine, a genetically engineered ex-military hunter, arrives on Earth to track her down does Jupiter begin to glimpse the fate that has been waiting for her all along - her genetic signature marks her as next in line for an extraordinary inheritance that could alter the balance of the cosmos.

Lotsa action... the trailer

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvITFK98gg

IMDB:

_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1617661/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I am actually looking very forward to this movie. It's a theme that I often tried to visit in my writing as a youth, though admittedly never succeeded, the idea of an alien prince/princess living amongst Earthlings never realizing their true lineage.

And unlike some folks, I really liked Cloud Atlas, so the Wachowski's being involved gives me hope it will be a smart movie.

Thanks for sharing this, Rabelais.

I had a curious synchronicity with this movie trailer. At about the time when I first heard of it, I had a very vivid dream about Jupiter. In that dream some global catastrophe happened on Earth and people were discussing how to escape. Somehow it was impossible to stay on Earth anymore, so it was suggested that we should all move to another planet. It was decided that the most appropriate place was Jupiter. I remember saying "but Jupiter has no atmosphere for us to breathe". And then I woke up.

What is also curious about this movie, is that one of the main characters is half a human and half a wolf.

According to the ancient pagan Slavic astrology, a complete revolution of the sky is 25,920 years (this is also the time and the turnover of the solar system around the center of our galaxy, the sleeves in which it is located). Our ancestors of this celestial cycle called "Svarog Circle". (In astronomy, the so-called "period of precession." Science calls the number "about 26,000 years"). This cycle is also associated with the fluctuation of the earth's axis in a circular elliptical cone.
See at: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_precession).

According to this ancient calendar, somewhere in 2012, the Era of the Fox (represented by Morena goddess) ended and the Era of the Wolf (represented by Veles, god of the underworld, magic and cattle) started. The era of the fox was the era of deception, while the era of the wolf is the era of cleansing. The wolf is called in Russian "sanitar of the forest" which means "cleanser of the forest", the animal who removes sick animals so that only healthy would remain.
See at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veles_(god).
Also: http://survincity.com/2010/03/wolf-era/ and http://www.slavorum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1434.0.

It is also interesting to find parallels with the North mythology: Fenrir is a monstrous wolf who is foretold to kill the god Odin during the events of Ragnarök (Doomsday), but will in turn be killed by Odin's son instead. See at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir.

Combine it with "zero year" and the Balkan floods, the picture is quite symbolic imo. I hope these are just my speculations.

fwiw

I'm looking forward to this one as well. With the Wachowskis involved in it the movie will likely have some interesting esoteric themes.

Mac

Mac said:
I'm looking forward to this one as well. With the Wachowskis involved in it the movie will likely have some interesting esoteric themes.

Mac

The thing is, the lead actors. Mila Kunis is ok I suppose, but Channing Tatum? I don't know what the Wachowskis saw in her, but a relatively unknown actress would seem to be a better fit for this type of movie. Perhaps because she's now an A-lister? Tatum on the other hand is... bleh. I haven't managed to sit through even a half hour of a movie he's been in. Apparently the female lead was going to be Patricia Rooney Mara who seems like she could've pulled off the "fish out of water" look whilst retaining a regal "air" after the character develops. (judging from the events in the trailer) Her sister is Kate Mara from "House of Cards" as the red head reporter. Also Joseph Gordon Levitt was supposed to have been in the Tatum role... (Natalie Portman was also considered? More bleh) after saying all of that, one comment on IMDB made me hopeful:

Wow, they downgraded from any of those possible actors to these two? Unless they really pull one out of the hat and show sides we've never seen, I don't see any reason why Tatum and Kunis belong in a movie of this scale and caliber. Tatum more so than Kunis.

They did surprise us with wooden Reeves who worked well in Matrix so who knows. But still.

Here's hoping.

A well written screenplay and well directed actors can make all of the difference between an actor's good performance and a bad one. Probably ought to wait for the movie before making any judgements based on past performances.

As stated, Keaneu Reeves' Matrix performance was an example of excellent, albeit counterintuitive, casting.

Lost Spirit said:
And unlike some folks, I really liked Cloud Atlas, so the Wachowski's being involved gives me hope it will be a smart movie.

Ditto that! Having first read Cloud Atlas, before the movie was made, I was grateful that the film clarified some of the garbled writing in the book. It was a rare case of the film far surpassing the original written story.

:huh: That storyline sounds like many a Japanese anime, they do that plotline all the time... like that American film with the girl with the bow and arrow movie??? can't remember its name, but that plotline's been done in anime for a long time, but then perhaps the original idea came from some book long ago which utilizes the same archetype of the classic 'Hero', and being a 'magical girl' just adds to this trope, of course, if it was an anime the stars would be kids, usually MS or HS age, but seeing as this is for the Western film market, a slightly older cast needs be used... then just add a little angst, frustration and a feeling of uselessness given the crap of the times, and it fits right in. Kunis did do that ballerina film that got good reviews... being about some psycho dancer (never saw it of course, thus feel completely free to make all sorts of comments on it) which ensures a good review... though the star being Jewish couldn't hurt, heh? I can actually see Kunis as that beat up, down on her luck, 'could have been a contender' type... it would be the awakening of the hero within that is in question. As for the male lead, wasn't he a star strip dancer before doing that strip movie that got so much attention from the 'ladies'? So he does have talent, yes? ;D And as a genetically engineered, ex-military (as if there is any other kind?) hunter doesn't seem to require a degree in Shakespearean drama, sort of like K Reeves, no? He'll probably acquire some sort of awakening, at least to the assistance of the magical hero girl, who must be found to save the universe... throw in some good special effect laden fight scenes and whatnot and it's a summer hit as so many seem to be these days, no matter what the subject matter, as long as it's along the lines of supporting the idea of a freedom loving empire like ours today.

What's left but something the W bros are good at, execution. Looking at their Wiki page, it seems they are comic fans, so at least they borrow from some of the best.

I've been looking forward to this since I saw the trailer a few months ago. And I really liked Cloud Atlas, and had to move it to number one as my favorite movie. And I've only seen it once.

gdpetti said:
:huh: That storyline sounds like many a Japanese anime, they do that plotline all the time... like that American film with the girl with the bow and arrow movie??? can't remember its name, but that plotline's been done in anime for a long time, but then perhaps the original idea came from some book long ago which utilizes the same archetype of the classic 'Hero', and being a 'magical girl' just adds to this trope, of course, if it was an anime the stars would be kids, usually MS or HS age, ....

Watch the 2000 Japanese film, Battle Royale. Its not anime but it was the template for Hunger Games. It follows your formula to the letter. That this film did not receive any credit for its contribution to Hunger Games borders on blatant plagiarism. But that's Hollywood for you.

_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Just watched the movie, and I gotta say the Wachowskis didn't disappoint! Phenomenal flick imho, and well worth the extra wait for post-production to get finished. The casting was spot on, the scores were intense, it was visually stunning, the story itself had a lot of esoteric elements to it, just a wonderful film! :perfect:

If you can't tell, I'm highly recommending that people see it! :thup:

The Wachowskis are currently the only one that make me move to a movie theater.

I saw the movie dubbed in french, we can see references to 4D beings.

I didn't like it as much as Cloud Atlas. I expect to see it in english soon... or later.

Still highly superior to a lot of syfy movies I have seen lately. And I probably missed a lot of references to phenomenon the C's has talk about.

A Jay said:
Just watched the movie, and I gotta say the Wachowskis didn't disappoint! Phenomenal flick imho, and well worth the extra wait for post-production to get finished. The casting was spot on, the scores were intense, it was visually stunning, the story itself had a lot of esoteric elements to it, just a wonderful film! :perfect:

Thanks A-Jay, been looking forward to watch this for a while since i saw the trailers. Definitely going to catch it now in the cinemas :)

A Jay said:

Thanks A-jay. That's great to know. It's been one I have been wanting to see :cool2:

Oh my Caesar...Just saw the trailers for the first time and all I can think is that it seems as though someone has been reading Ra and C's material. Interesting, think I will try to squeeze this in tonight! :thup:

Back
Top Bottom