Jupiter Impact!

A

alchemy

Came across this article; also please see some rudimentary analysis which follows the article:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11129889/

Two objects lurking near Jupiter and once considered rocky asteroids have turned out to be comets made up mostly of ice and dirt.

Using the Keck II Laser Telescope in Hawaii, astronomers found that the two objects, 617 Patroclus and its companion, Menoetius, had a density of only 0.8 grams per cubic centimeters — only a third that of rock.

Most likely, the researchers say, Patroclus and Menoetius are comets, which are typically composed mainly of water ice and therefore much less dense than asteroids.

The findings could mean that many or most of asteroidlike objects hovering around Jupiter and known as Trojans are actually comets that originated much farther from the sun and were captured by the giant gas planet when the solar system was still young.

The findings are detailed in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

Patroclus and Menoetius are the only known binary objects around Jupiter. The two bodies orbit around each other while floating 465 million miles (750 million kilometers) from Jupiter in one of gas planet’s two so-called Lagrange points. At these points, the gravitational field of Jupiter and the sun are perfectly balanced, and objects can be captured and brought to relative rest. Jupiter has two Lagrange points, one in front and the other behind as the planet orbits the sun.

Patroclus and Menoetius are estimated to be about 76 miles (122 kilometers) and 70 miles (112 kilometers) wide, respectively. The two objects are not the first to be mistaken for asteroids: in 1999, astronomers determined that C/199 J3 was also a comet.

Because most comets are thought to form in the Kuiper Belt, a distant region of the solar system outside the orbit of Neptune, the researchers think Patroclus and Menoetius formed about 650 million years after the formation of the solar system.

“It’s our suspicion that the Trojans are small Kuiper Belt Objects,” said study leader Franck Marchis, an astronomer at the University of California at Berkeley.

According to one hypothesis proposed by the researchers, Jupiter captured the comets at a time when the large gas planets were orbiting much closer to the sun.

During this early period in the solar system, the gas planets were enveloped by billions of large asteroids called planetesimals. It’s thought that interactions with planetesimals caused the large gas planets to migrate outwards to their present positions. As the planets migrated, the swarming planetesimals were tossed around like confetti.

The majority of them would have been hurled into the outer reaches of the solar system to form the Kuiper Belt, while a smaller number would have been captured in the Lagrange points of Jupiter and the other gas planets.

© 2006 Space.com. All rights reserved. More from Space.com.

A couple of things worth considering:

a) acknowledgement that comets are being 'captured' by the giants in our solar system, within the (generally speaking) MSM.

b) what caught my eye was that no mention of *when* these objects were first identified. A quick search led me to this site: http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/cfa/ps/lists/JupiterTrojans.html

Speaking strictly for myself, I had *no idea* that there were so many trojans captured by Jupiter. A quick extract of this table into Excel and some pivottable use leads to the following:

1) there are 1,889 Jupiter trojans listed on the Harvard University site.

2) of these 1,889 trojans, over 72 PERCENT have been identified since 1999. Now, that doesn't mean that these items weren't there decades ago and were just recently found with some of the new, high powered telescopes being utilized. However, I would suggest that almost 1,400 trojans found since 1999 to be orbiting Jupiter -- some of which are now acknowledged to be captured comets -- is an awfully large number.

If I have time, I will see if similar tables exist for Saturn and Neptune.

Cheers,

John

Now that IS interesting. We have had the same suspicion about the new "moons" of Jupiter and other outer planets - that they are vacuuming up asteroids and comets. And then, of course, there are all the meteors and fireballs of the past few years. Ark's mathematical model that he did a few years ago while communicating with Matese suggested that the years 2007 -2009 might very well be "C-day."

http://www.examiner.com/x-8054-St-Louis-Astronomy-Examiner~y2009m7d24-Something-has-hit-Jupiter--update

Something has hit Jupiter! - update
July 24, 7:13 PM

hs-2009-23-b-small_web%5B1%5D.jpg

Professional and amateur astronomers around the world are turning their telescopes toward Jupiter to monitor the dark spot that appeared around July 18/19. Although astronomers are all in agreement that something did indeed hit Jupiter, there is growing debate about whether the object was a comet or a minor planet. This debate will probably not end soon, but will hopefully be determined as more observations become available.

Although some astronomers have noted that the spot indicates a single body hit the planet, Mike Wong, a UC Berkeley researcher currently on leave at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, points out that the complex shape of the spot indicates a cluster of objects struck the planet in the same general area.

A cluster of objects certainly is not unprecedented. It has long been known that the gravitational tidal forces surrounding the giant planet Jupiter are strong enough to shatter objects that come too close. The faint rings that surround the planet are believed to be dust from shattered objects. Crater chains exist on Jupiter's largest moons, which are believed to be the impacts of objects that broke up near the planet and then slammed into the unsuspecting moons. Of course, the best example was in 1993, when astronomers found comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 in orbit around Jupiter. It was quickly noted that about one year earlier, the comet had passed within the danger zone of Jupiter, which resulted in it breaking into 21 pieces. Each of these pieces then slammed into Jupiter during July 1994.

Observations made during the last few days are showing the new spot has become elongated, which is due to the fact that Jupiter's clouds circle the planet at different speeds, depending on the latitude. This elongating has now made the spot about the width of the Pacific Ocean.

The Gemini North telescope has become the latest large telescope on Mauna Kea (Hawaii) to image the comet. Since the images were obtained in the infrared range, the spot appears as the brightest feature on the planet, instead of the darkest feature, because of the residual heat from the impact.

Another large telescope has been called into service because of the dark spot. Back in May, the Hubble Space Telescope had new equipment installed during a space shuttle mission. Although the complex task of calibrating the new equipment is not yet complete, this event was deemed important enough to bring the Hubble back on line. The resulting image illustrates this article and it is the most detailed image yet. More Hubble images will be obtained in the coming weeks.

Yes, this was covered on the SoTT page -on the 21st.

And brought up on the forum in this thread

Considering this anomaly on Venus also on the 21st, it appears that it's been a smashing week in the solar system. The few large drops of rain before the storm?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/03/breaking-another-jupiter-impact/ said:
[Update (19:00 Mountain time): CONFIRMED! A poster on the Unmanned Space Flight forum reports that another amateur astronomer, Christopher Go (link goes to home page, no news there yet) has confirmed Anthony Wesley's observation and also has video. Though I'm having some trouble playing it, I did see the flash in the video. I think it's safe to call this one real!]

[UPDATE 2: Wesley has put up his video, and it's very cool. The impact is, um, pretty obvious. Bright, too, which makes me think this was a significant object. I'm very surprised at how quickly it brightens and fades, though; I'd expect the flash from the object itself to last a few seconds, and then to see some sort of glowing plume. Perhaps the object itself was a small comet or a loosely packed asteroid -- a so-called "rubble pile " -- which fell apart and vaporized while still high in the atmosphere. I'm guessing, so I'll wait and see what the experts say soon.]

In what turns out to be a major coincidence, Anthony Wesley, an amateur astronomer in Australia, is reporting that he recorded another impact on Jupiter! This time he has video of the impact, which he claims was quite bright and lasted about two seconds. The video is not yet available, but here’s a still:

wesley_jupiter_june32010.jpg

He reports that there is no obvious impact scar as in previous such events. If this pans out, I’m sure Hubble and many other observatories will be in a big hurry to get observations! Infrared images are of particular interest, since they can record the heat from the blast.

This really is a funny coincidence, since just this morning the news was released that the 2009 impact — also discovered by Wesley — was caused by an asteroid impact. This new event appears to be smaller, since it didn’t get as bright as the Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts in 1994, which were also of the same magnitude as the 2009 event.

I’ve started contacting folks I know to see if anyone has more info on this. Hopefully we’ll be getting the big guns involved as soon as possible! Stay tuned.

There is quite a few URLs in the original text that I didn't link up again so I recommend reading the at the original site.

Wow! Jupiter seems to be vacuuming up a whole lot of "space rocks" in our solar system with its strong gravitation. Really makes you wonder how many impacts are NOT noticed?

Didn't Jupiter also recently lose one of its red bands?
_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1277734/Jupiter-loses-stripes-scientists-idea-why.html
could all this be evidence of the coming change/wave?

maybe we should expect to see more of this sort of activity...

GRiM said:
There is quite a few URLs in the original text that I didn't link up again so I recommend reading the at the original site.

SOTT has this article too. :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/209825-Jupiter-Takes-Another-Hit-with-must-see-video-clip-

Vulcan59 said:
GRiM said:

SOTT has this article too. :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/209825-Jupiter-Takes-Another-Hit-with-must-see-video-clip-

Thank you Vulcan59, yeah I saw it. There is a empiric reason why I visit sott.net daily, I don't know any site that offer the quality and speed, depth and with that sott.net does as a news-site! I think it really is the best site on the net for news, hands down.

GRiM said:
Thank you Vulcan59, yeah I saw it. There is a empiric reason why I visit sott.net daily, I don't know any site that offer the quality and speed, depth and with that sott.net does as a news-site! I think it really is the best site on the net for news, hands down.

Now if we can spread the word and get a lot more people to understand that. :)

From www.universetoday.com

It looks like once again, Jupiter has taken a hit! And once again an amateur astronomer spotted and captured the event. Masayuki Tachikawa was observing Jupiter on at 18:22 Universal Time on August 20th (early on August 21 in Japan) and his video camera captured a 1-second-long flash on the planet's disk, along the northern edge of the gas giant’s North Equatorial Belt. The event was reported by astronomer Junichi Watanabe from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, on his blog.
Click to continue…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIkr86xKcwQ&feature=search

Also fwiw Recent short YouTube Of the Perseid Meteors shower of 10/11-8-2010 ( The music is a little weird, from "Full Metal Jacket" :huh:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZeKddtLp18&feature=search

Vulcan59 said:
GRiM said:

Now if we can spread the word and get a lot more people to understand that. :)

I do that to my best ability everyday :) Facebook, reddit, forums, friends, work colleges etc!

If there is a topic on discussion, then I can be sure it relatively old news on the sott-site with lots of followups. The search-function is extremly helpful for this.

Thanks c.a.,

Already published on SOTT, taken from Space Weather.com :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/214069-Another-Fireball-Impact-On-Jupiter-Caught-Again-By-Amateur-Astronomer

Vulcan59 said:
Thanks c.a.,

Already published on SOTT, taken from Space Weather.com :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/214069-Another-Fireball-Impact-On-Jupiter-Caught-Again-By-Amateur-Astronomer

Thanks Vulcan59, SOTT is, and will always be a ahead of the pack, as it continues to be the information highway to the Truth.

Jupiter Hit Again!
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/251062-Jupiter-Hit-Again-

Spaceweather
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 02:33 CDT
Print
Apparently, something hit Jupiter during the early hours of Sept. 10th (11:35 UT), igniting a ferocious fireball in the giant planet's cloud tops. Amateur astronomer Dan Peterson Racine, Wisconsin, saw it first through his Meade 12" LX200 telescope. "It was a bright white flash that lasted only 1.5 - 2 seconds," he reports. Another amateur astronomer, George Hall of Dallas, Texas, was video-recording Jupiter at the time, and he confirmed the fireball with this video screenshot.
jupiterimpact_strip3.jpg

The fireball was probably caused by a small asteroid or comet hitting Jupiter. Similar impacts were observed in June and August 2010. An analysis of those earlier events suggests that Jupiter is frequently struck by 10 meter-class asteroids--one of the hazards of orbiting near the asteroid belt and having such a strong gravitational pull.

Astronomers around the world will now begin monitoring the impact site for signs of debris--either the cindery remains of the impactor or material dredged up from beneath Jupiter's cloud tops. Some impacts do produce such debris, while others don't. Researchers aren't sure why; perhaps this event will provide some clues. Stay tuned for news about what happens next.

Back
Top Bottom