Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

mugatea said:
I take about 4-5 ox biles alongside a couple of betaines per meal, few bits of bacon/small steak and a fatbomb, twice daily.

So should I up my ox bile more until it clears up? I been doing keto for 5-6 weeks now.

Jamie

Jamie, a fatbomb twice daily sounds too much to me. Is this (plus the bits of bacon), all you eat? I would eat more protein, like a pork chop with green beans for lunch. Add apple cider vinegar to the pork chop for better digestion. For breakfast, I would have bacon and egg yolks. I would eat only half a fat bomb (or one maximum) per day. I would eat one tablespoon here and there throughout the entire day instead of eating it in "one gulp". That way your digestive system will handle the fat better.

Apologies if this is repetitive advice, it just strikes me that you are hardly eating any protein and are mostly concentrating on fat. At the beginning (first few weeks) it is the reverse: you handle protein better. You start adding fat, and then when you can digest fat effectively, you up your fat intake until it fits your needs.

My 2 cents!

Its several pieces of bacon with egg yolks and other meat or (like at the moment) its two small steaks a day with maybe a fried egg yolk plus two fat bombs with 90g of fat in each. I'll try cutting down the fat to one fat bomb a day and see what happens.

Jamie

mugatea said:
I don't like coming on here and complaining. But I've upped my ox bile and I still have the squirts. I'm talking patting myself dry rather than wiping cause of arse chaffing. :-[ I take about 4-5 ox biles alongside a couple of betaines per meal, few bits of bacon/small steak and a fatbomb, twice daily.

So should I up my ox bile more until it clears up? I been doing keto for 5-6 weeks now.

Jamie

I would reduce the fat for a while until you have found a dose that works - keep that for a week or two and then slowly increase the fat until you reach the desired level.

It takes some time ...
:)

nicklebleu said:
mugatea said:
I don't like coming on here and complaining. But I've upped my ox bile and I still have the squirts. I'm talking patting myself dry rather than wiping cause of arse chaffing. :-[ I take about 4-5 ox biles alongside a couple of betaines per meal, few bits of bacon/small steak and a fatbomb, twice daily.

Jamie

I would reduce the fat for a while until you have found a dose that works - keep that for a week or two and then slowly increase the fat until you reach the desired level.

It takes some time ...
:)
I had to reduce my fat intake because I was nauseous all the time, now I have days of more fat than others, still keeping it under 120g because I feel my body working too hard to digest if I have more as if it doesn't know what to do with it, some days really low at at like 50g depending on what my body is saying. I don't mind if I lose a few kg of fat, I could easily lose 5 and then be back to how I was a few years ago.... as long as it's not muscle, and also add in extra protein days, I know you said you weren't interested in this though I'm just saying it works for me.
I've also started to eat sauerkraut again because I found that it really helped my digestion when I first started on keto. I'm going to brew my own batch because it's impossible to know if the stuff in the jar has been pasteurised or not.
There is so much trial and error with this diet, and Jamie if you were anything of the sugar addict I was (whole bags of lollies, half a cake or all of it sometimes, cookies, pastries, etc) and not much other food for a good part of my life then there is lots and lots of healing to be done. I can't eat dairy at all ever, good butter is fine but I suffer instantly with nausea and inflammation if I even put a drop of cream or cheese in my mouth- that's are sure sign of very sick guts!!!
Squirty bum is nasty, I really hope you find a solution fast.

Mugatea, have you used a keto calculator? It's really helping me find the right balance. I got myself a decent set of scales and weigh all my meat and work out the protein/fat for each day. It does look like you have too much fat on the go there, like others have said already.
http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
My breakfast consists of 2 eggs and 70g of lambs liver cooked in lard with butter on top, so that's 30g of protein and 50g of fat (because of the extra butter I add once its cooked). Plus magnesium, vitamin c and cod liver oil. Then a cold shower! Perfect start to the day :)
Good luck finding your balance.

Thanks for the replies. I will try reducing fat from today. I am also gonna try making my own sauerkraut as I love cabbage.

lainey said:
Mugatea, have you used a keto calculator? It's really helping me find the right balance. I got myself a decent set of scales and weigh all my meat and work out the protein/fat for each day. It does look like you have too much fat on the go there, like others have said already.
http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
My breakfast consists of 2 eggs and 70g of lambs liver cooked in lard with butter on top, so that's 30g of protein and 50g of fat (because of the extra butter I add once its cooked). Plus magnesium, vitamin c and cod liver oil. Then a cold shower! Perfect start to the day :)
Good luck finding your balance.

I have, yeah. its around 70-90g protien and around 250 grams of fat. Hard time adjusting to that much fat. But will give my bowels a rest from that much for a few days then increase. Think I'll have some sprouts with dinner tonight.

Yeah, if you're having such problems, 250 grams of fat this early in the experiment seems quite a lot to digest. Don't get so strict with numbers. I'd say the priority is to have the digestive issues solved, so drop the fat as much as needed for as long as necessary. Then, as you get the digestion sorted out, increase the fat incrementally until you have enough calories from fat but can still digest it all. So, just as an example, you can try dropping your fat consumption by 50 to 75 grams, raise protein accordingly by maybe 30 grams per day, and see if that's enough to have normal bowel movements (this may lead to constipation, or still somewhat loose stools). Just keep making adjustments until you do not have the runs for several days, then you can up your fat by 10 grams a day or so to see how much you can tolerate - and stay at that level for several days until you try increasing fat again.

From what you've been going through, it seems your way over the amount of fat able to be digested and utilized. This will take longer to solve/get right, if you didn't eat much fat as daily calories for a long time before starting on this diet. It's OK to go slow to make things work while experimenting when and how much to increase. The thing is that if you don't get enough calories in fat, you should start burning your fat stores. Even someone with very little body fat, the amount distributed through the body is quite a lot, so there's always fat that can be mobilized and burned when needed after adapting to fat burning metabolism. Only problem that may creep up is if you've consumed a lot of toxic fats over the years, and fat stores get mobilized, you're likely to get inflammation and toxins released. So that's something you'd need to deal with by using supplements and foods that are anti-inflammatory and detoxifying.

Well, yesterday I halved my fat but did have extra bone broth and had sprouts with both my meals and that seems to have fixed things - no more diarrhea!! I'll allow it to continue like this for a day or two to give my bowels a break then I think I will go back to full fat but keep with some greens and see how I get on.

mugatea said:
Well, yesterday I halved my fat but did have extra bone broth and had sprouts with both my meals and that seems to have fixed things - no more diarrhea!! I'll allow it to continue like this for a day or two to give my bowels a break then I think I will go back to full fat but keep with some greens and see how I get on.

Woohoo, what a relief that must be for you!
I guess you'll know if it's the fat reduction or the added sprouts helping if you give it a few day then increase the fat again.

mugatea said:

As others have said here, raise your fat level slowly, going step by step so that your gut can have time to adapt to each increase of fat. If you keep doing what you've always done, you keep getting what you've always gotten.

lainey said:
... Plus magnesium, vitamin c and cod liver oil. Then a cold shower! Perfect start to the day :)
It is more beneficial to take magnesium supplements in the evening, before retiring to bed. And, it may be better to replace the cod liver oil with Omega (3) EPA/DHA fish oil.

Prodigal Son said:
lainey said:
... Plus magnesium, vitamin c and cod liver oil. Then a cold shower! Perfect start to the day :)
It is more beneficial to take magnesium supplements in the evening, before retiring to bed. And, it may be better to replace the cod liver oil with Omega (3) EPA/DHA fish oil.

Can you expend on that ? I thought that the nutrients infermented cold liver oil were more bioavailable.

Prodigal Son said:
lainey said:
Brilliant, thanks for the advise. I've found the omega 3 stuff on my protein.com which seems better. I'll get that one the next time. The vitamin c is better in the morning though?

lainey said:
Prodigal Son said:
lainey said:
Brilliant, thanks for the advise. I've found the omega 3 stuff on my protein.com which seems better. I'll get that one the next time. The vitamin c is better in the morning though?
Yes, vitamin C is better taken in the morning.

Goemon_ said:
Prodigal Son said:
lainey said:

Can you expend on that ? I thought that the nutrients infermented cold liver oil were more bioavailable.
Oop, now I'm confused. This is a lesson for me to do my own research I think!

Back
Top Bottom