Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Eboard10 said:
Chrissy, don't put yourself down. What you have done so far should be applauded.
Completely agree and think that what you've shared will be valuable to many. It seems to be the norm that people have to come to their own understanding in their own time and this certainly includes kids so I'd just say that it's really just all part of a journey that you're on together and you have much to be proud of. Great job! :hug2:

I do walk up to 5 hours a day - that's a lot of walking and mentally its very tiring too. I stop eating at 6pm and restart 8am.

I've thought about the buttered tea, I think I'll have to try it. Thanks!

Jamie
[/quote]

Hi Jamie,

I don't know why, but I've been thinking about you lately. Haven't seen you on this thread since before Christmas and just wondering how you're doing with Keto? Wanted to offer support/solidarity if it was needed...

I went back on a somewhat Paleo diet over Christmas despite my intentions. And, let me tell you - never again!! It's only been the last week or so that I haven't been struggling with severe cravings for starch and sweets. It was, however, good confirmation that Keto is the right path for me, so that is a boost. I also found that just getting back on and reading this thread is so helpful in terms of keeping me strong. Just reading through the support and experiences of others on this same path is so encouraging, so I thank all of you on here!!! What a huge resource that I am ever so grateful for.

Aiming said:
paulo said:
And for the heavy metal toxicity, again I don't know, but from what I've read on the subject it seams that sardines are left as the safest choice...

That's also been my understanding. However, talking about heavy metal toxicity, in the meal plan you've shared above you mention eating tuna, and tuna, like any large fish, contains very high levels of mercury, so it would be good to avoid it.

It's actually branzino, not tuna in my meal plan. I personally don' like tuna, but it's absolutely true it should be avoided. However, since you mentioned it, I realized I had never done the research on branzino, assuming it's wild caught in Mediterranean, just because it has tag on it: "wild caught from Greece"... It seems that the level of mercury is not that high, but what probably is the case ithat most of this fish available on the market, if not all, is actually farmed.

_http://www.cheftalk.com/t/63846/why-does-every-restaurant-in-the-usa-have-branzino-in-the-menu
"Quote:
Hello, I have noticed that the new trend in Washington is that in every single restaurant, you get Bronzino.
Now, my question is why? Since Branzino is not overtly abundant in the Mediterranean.
Does anyone know why theres so much Branzino in the US? Is it all imported or is there Branzino farming in the US?
End Quote"

_http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_seabass
"Quote:
European seabass was one of the first types of fish after salmon to be farmed commercially in Europe. They were historically cultured in coastal lagoons and tidal reservoirs, before mass-production techniques were developed starting in the late 1960s. It is the most important commercial fish widely cultured in the Mediterranean. The most important farming countries are Greece, Turkey, Italy, Spain, Croatia, and Egypt. The annual production was more than 120,000 tonnes in 2010.
End Quote"

_http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/07/18/raised-on-the-farm-big-in-the-city/
"Quote:
Yes, the branzino you’re eating is almost certainly farm-raised. It’s probably farm-raised in the Mediterranean, in a country like Italy or Greece, but it’s farm-raised all the same.
End Quote"

I'm definitely tossing it away from my list!!!

For sardines, on the other hand, it's said that are most likely not farm-raised fish yet. I certainly hope so!

_https://ar.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130225001614AArfbLX
"Quote:
no they certainly are not farmed, the life cycle of the sardine does not lend itself to farming, maybe in years to come some scientist may crack it but not yet.
if you eat lots of them you may find variations in size and shape but this is quite normal for shoaling fish
End Quote"

_http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardine
"Quote:
Typically, sardines are caught with encircling nets, particularly purse seines. Many modifications of encircling nets are used, including traps or weirs. The latter are stationary enclosures composed of stakes into which schools of sardines are diverted as they swim along the coast. The fish are caught mainly at night, when they approach the surface to feed on plankton. After harvesting, the fish are submerged in brinewhile they are transported to shore.
Sardines are commercially fished for a variety of uses: for bait; for immediate consumption; for drying, salting, or smoking; and for reduction into fish meal or oil.
End Quote"

paulo said:
Aiming said:
paulo said:
And for the heavy metal toxicity, again I don't know, but from what I've read on the subject it seams that sardines are left as the safest choice...

That's also been my understanding. However, talking about heavy metal toxicity, in the meal plan you've shared above you mention eating tuna, and tuna, like any large fish, contains very high levels of mercury, so it would be good to avoid it.

It's actually branzino, not tuna in my meal plan. I personally don' like tuna, but it's absolutely true it should be avoided. However, since you mentioned it, I realized I had never done the research on branzino, assuming it's wild caught in Mediterranean, just because it has tag on it: "wild caught from Greece"... It seems that the level of mercury is not that high, but what probably is the case ithat most of this fish available on the market, if not all, is actually farmed.

Bummer! I know that one, too, looking for "wild-caught", but there's still the "fine print" that needs to be checked. Well, at least, now you know! :) And thanks for clarifying on the confusion concerning tuna/branzino.

paulo said:
For sardines, on the other hand, it's said that are most likely not farm-raised fish yet. I certainly hope so!

Yes, same here, since I also like to eat sardines.

I can't see how they could farm sardines. Not practical at all.

SeekinTruth said:
Yeah, paulo, it's tricky when I overdue the fat by just another 25 to 30 grams or so, but not always. Anyway I'm not so meticulous with all the numbers, I estimate and just concentrate on getting at least 75% of daily calories from fat. I can digest a lot of fat now, but there's a limit before loose stools start. This diet is great in that, once fully adapted, it's not so important whether you consistently get 75% of calories or 80% or 85% from fat - and it can change at what point stools become loose (depending on what else is being eaten in the form of protein, I guess). Most days I have less than 3 grams of net carbs, by the way.

Wow, less than 3g... I feel I need more, but it seems that up to 10g is good enough. Once I get my blood ketone meter I'll know my right ratio. When I was on the paleo diet my major problem was loosing a lots of weight and constipation. The fat bomb seemed to melioriate both problems for me. At the beginning I needed to calculate my meals so that I can watch my body's reactions. I've found that 80-85% calories from fat works well for me and it seems that increased magnesium intake is really helping my body digesting it. I can see it now how our body, once adjusted digesting on its own, can tell us when it's too much or too little fat taken depending on what's being eaten.

Aiming said:
Bummer! I know that one, too, looking for "wild-caught", but there's still the "fine print" that needs to be checked. Well, at least, now you know! :) And thanks for clarifying on the confusion concerning tuna/branzino.

Yes, I know!

paulo said:
Aiming said:

Yes, I know!

Yes, bummer!

Sorry Aaiming, for some reason it was cutting off my message. I meant to say:
I'm sure there are some wild-caught out there on the market as well, but who would know the difference?! I think, the best choice is to stay away from it; unless, we are lucky enough to find ourselves in the Mediterranean fishing village where a fisherman prepares for us the one he just caught that day

SeekinTruth said:
I can't see how they could farm sardines. Not practical at all.

Yep, it looks like that and I certainly hope so!

Chrissy said:
Heimdallr said:
Yeah, I'm a no-go on nuts. I used to eat them like crazy, while on keto, but once I eliminated them and reintroduced, they proved to upset my stomach, give me headaches, and generally make me feel crappy. There was a time that I could eat bags of cashews and macadamias in one sitting because I loved them, but now I don't have any kind of cravings for them.

I had to eliminate nuts also. I was getting pain in my left side and after testing, it was the nuts.

On another note, my son, almost 15, is working hard to maintain ketosis. He's had some starts and stops between paleo and keto in the last 2 years or so. Right now he says he's mid range per the urine sticks and keeping the carbs under 20. I read you shouldn't limit protein for a child so he hasn't. I think his total carbs are probably higher due to that. His normal day is 2 eggs fried in lard for breakfast with sometimes bacon or sausage. He takes ham rolled with butter for lunch with a few pickles and a meat stick from the farm. Or he takes leftovers from dinner. Dinner is primarily meat which he adds butter too. We usually make a side of non starchy vegetable like green beans, onions, or mushrooms. He doesn't much care for the fat bomb, but he does like the pork rind bread. He's pretty active with sports and very tall for his age, about 6'1" now. He seems to be doing well so far and has only had a bit of leg cramps, but I gave him Mg supplements and I have the oil.

Considering his age and growth, I worry I'm missing something like additional supplements. He doesn't seem hungry and his energy is good, but I wanted to check here. I've tried to keep this easy for him and not have him count grams of protein or fat. I want him to keep going and not get overwhelmed or discouraged.

I think the same as you do Chrissy. When our children are concerned we want to give them all we can, but not all our good intentions necessarily bring good results. My daughter is 22 and it's being over two years since she had taken gluten and dairy of her diet. Potatoes were her big love, but becoming aware of the problems it causes, she took them off as well. Her skin on her back was full of acne before and ever since she stopped eating gluten and dairy it completely disappeared. Her skin is clear and smooth now. She is not on keto, but she is eating the same as I do except for the extra fat that I take. She has different physical constitution than I do and being just a few pounds overweight before, after her diet changes, she initially had lost some weight but then it stopped just there neither losing nor gaining more. She has had normal and regular stool as well. On the contrary, without additional fat intake I tend to loose lots of weight and become constipated. I don't know what her diet will be in the future, but I think I can give her only that what I know and leave her to grow on her own terms.

paulo said:
SeekinTruth said:
Yeah, paulo, it's tricky when I overdue the fat by just another 25 to 30 grams or so, but not always. Anyway I'm not so meticulous with all the numbers, I estimate and just concentrate on getting at least 75% of daily calories from fat. I can digest a lot of fat now, but there's a limit before loose stools start. This diet is great in that, once fully adapted, it's not so important whether you consistently get 75% of calories or 80% or 85% from fat - and it can change at what point stools become loose (depending on what else is being eaten in the form of protein, I guess). Most days I have less than 3 grams of net carbs, by the way.

Wow, less than 3g... I feel I need more, but it seems that up to 10g is good enough. Once I get my blood ketone meter I'll know my right ratio. When I was on the paleo diet my major problem was loosing a lots of weight and constipation. The fat bomb seemed to melioriate both problems for me. At the beginning I needed to calculate my meals so that I can watch my body's reactions. I've found that 80-85% calories from fat works well for me and it seems that increased magnesium intake is really helping my body digesting it. I can see it now how our body, once adjusted digesting on its own, can tell us when it's too much or too little fat taken depending on what's being eaten.

Yeah, everybody is different, and we all need to find what works best for us. The increased magnesium helping makes sense, as it is involved with over 300 metabolic and enzymatic functions. The very low carb intake for me seems best for most days. I just aim for zero carbs and end up with a couple daily. Because it's quite hard to ACTUALLY hit zero carbs - you'll always end up consuming about a gram or so no matter what. But I can go up to about 15 to 20 grams of net carbs a day, as long as it's not too often. If it's too often, I don't feel as good and alert/able to maintain concentration for very long periods of time, etc. as I do normally.

SeekinTruth said:
paulo said:
SeekinTruth said:

Yeah, everybody is different, and we all need to find what works best for us. The increased magnesium helping makes sense, as it is involved with over 300 metabolic and enzymatic functions. The very low carb intake for me seems best for most days. I just aim for zero carbs and end up with a couple daily. Because it's quite hard to ACTUALLY hit zero carbs - you'll always end up consuming about a gram or so no matter what. But I can go up to about 15 to 20 grams of net carbs a day, as long as it's not too often. If it's too often, I don't feel as good and alert/able to maintain concentration for very long periods of time, etc. as I do normally.

First time I heard about keto diet and its connection with improved psycho-mental state was from Nora Gedgaudas (SOTT-radio interview) and her book "Primal Body, Primal Mind". As far as I can remember myself I've suffered from depression and mentally foggy state; my focus, attention, and memory had never been where I wanted it to be. I noticed, though, that with just gluten and dairy being taken away from my diet my depression was gradually fading away. However, lowering the carbs to a minimum level, even after only one month, I can tell the difference! My level of alertness, focus, and attention is MUCH higher!!! This diet, combined with some resistance exercise and cold showers, much improves my energy level and I feel more connected.

Yeah, the incredible amount of concentration possible on a very low carb, very high fat diet is hard to believe until one experiences it oneself....

Just wanted to briefly mention before heading off to work (so I may expand on it later) that I recently had a discussion among several FOTCM friends and my family about the anxiety issues I've felt basically my whole life, and from some testing it seems that the biggest contributor has by far been dairy products. Butter is basically all I've had dairy wise for several years, and yet I've still had fairly bad panic attacks. It's now been 2 or 3 days since switching to homemade ghee, and I already feel a lot more calm. I've even been able to notice subtle things I and others do related to societal programming that I never viscerally understood until now. So hooray for keto, and hooray dairy-freedom!

Back
Top Bottom