Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

My first attempt at bone broth is complete. When I bought these bones I didn't specify marrow bones. These appear to be spinal bones. They had a lot of meat and fat still on them. Out of 3 lbs total I trimmed about a pound/.45k of meat and fat off before I started cooking. There was still some meat and fat when I put it the crock pot.

I cooked them on low for about 23 hours. All the meat came off the bones while cooking. I strained out the meat (had it and a little broth for lunch, tastes really good:) ) The broth fit nicely in to a 1 quart/liter canning jar. So, 2 lbs bones yielded 1 quart broth. The broth was only about half clear, probably because I couldn't get all the meat off before cooking.

Are the bones any use at this point? A while after I put the lid on the canning jar the top popped down. Is it ok to store it this way or should it still be refrigerated?

Mac

Mac said:
Are the bones any use at this point?
I've been wondering that myself at this point. Perhaps if the bones are soft enough to grind down into bone meal it can be mixed into soil for plants? Dunno.

Even if the heat "seals" a jar, if you do not process it in a canner REFRIGERATE it.

truth seeker said:
Mac said:
Are the bones any use at this point?
I've been wondering that myself at this point. Perhaps if the bones are soft enough to grind down into bone meal it can be mixed into soil for plants? Dunno.

well you can suck out the marrow and it eat it before throwing them away or using them otherwise.
actually it tastes pretty good :)

So ketosis promotes autophagy which preserves the health of cells and tissues by replacing outdated and damaged cellular components with fresh ones. This prevents degenerative diseases, aging, cancer, and protects you against microbial infections. That means that a ketogenic diet not only rejuvenates you, but but it also makes a person much less susceptible to viruses and bacterial infections. This is very relevant due to the increasing number of weird viral and bacterial infections that seem to be incoming from our upper atmosphere , or due to high levels of radiation that creates more pathogenic strains. Either or, we are more vulnerable than ever due to the state of our mitochondria.

Ketone-enhanced autophagy is very important because autophagy can target viruses and bacteria that grow inside cells which are very problematical. Intracellular viruses and bacteria can lead to severe mitochondrial dysfunction and ketosis remains by far our best chance against them. Remember that resistance training also enhances autophagy.

Here are some relevant papers on autophagy and viral and bacterial infections (full text available):

Autophagy in the control and pathogenesis of viral infection
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3171969/

Autophagy is an evolutionary conserved cell process that plays a central role in eukaryotic cell metabolism. Constitutive autophagy allows cells to ensure their energy needs are met during times of starvation, degrade long-lived cellular proteins, and recycle organelles. In addition, autophagy and its machinery can also be utilized to degrade intracellular pathogens, and this function likely represents one of the earliest eukaryotic defense mechanisms against viral pathogens. Within the past decade, it has become clear that autophagy has not only retained its evolutionary ancient ability to degrade intracellular pathogens, but also has co-evolved with the vertebrate immune system to augment and fine tune antiviral immune responses. Herein, we aim to summarize these recent findings as well as to highlight key unanswered questions of the field.

Autophagy and bacterial infectious diseases
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296818/

Autophagy is a housekeeping process that maintains cellular homeostasis through recycling of nutrients and degradation of damaged or aged cytoplasmic constituents. Over the past several years, accumulating evidence has suggested that autophagy can function as an intracellular innate defense pathway in response to infection with a variety of bacteria and viruses. Autophagy plays a role as a specialized immunologic effector and regulates innate immunity to exert antimicrobial defense mechanisms. Numerous bacterial pathogens have developed the ability to invade host cells or to subvert host autophagy to establish a persistent infection. In this review, we have summarized the recent advances in our understanding of the interaction between antibacterial autophagy (xenophagy) and different bacterial pathogens.

Mac said:
My first attempt at bone broth is complete. When I bought these bones I didn't specify marrow bones. These appear to be spinal bones. They had a lot of meat and fat still on them. Out of 3 lbs total I trimmed about a pound/.45k of meat and fat off before I started cooking. There was still some meat and fat when I put it the crock pot.

I thought part of the purpose of drinking bone broth was for the fat intake so why trim it off. :huh:

Mrs. Peel said:
Mac said:

I thought part of the purpose of drinking bone broth was for the fat intake so why trim it off. :huh:

Yep, I think that's been brought up a few times - I never trim anything off - just let it all cook together - lots of good stuff in all that fat, meat and cartilage.

Old bones could be ground up and added to cat/pet food. It is especially important for cats.

http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.php

anart said:
Mrs. Peel said:
Mac said:

Yep, I think that's been brought up a few times - I never trim anything off - just let it all cook together - lots of good stuff in all that fat, meat and cartilage.

Well, next time I'll know. :-[ There is about an inch of fat at the top of the jar and I still have the meat and fat I trimmed off. The broth tastes good. Maybe I throw some that in the broth, heat it and have a good soup. :)

It's a start anyway. I have some marrow bones ordered should be here soon.

I bought a food scale that measures in 1 gram increments this will help me visualize protein/fat the portions I am eating so I can get the proportions right.

Mac

It just occurred to me, that if you chew your food thoroughly, as in, until it slides down your throat, then anything left probably will stop tasting like food after a while, and a healthy paleolithic ancestor might spit it out.

I will start at the beginning again, and look for things I might have lost along the way, and will try to understand those initial scientific papers. As far as muscles shaking, I don't think it is necessarily just muscle damage if your arm shakes uncontrollably while just extending it slowly into air. It seems like maybe I trained my nerves to cause the muscles to shake. IE the opening and closing muscles were fighting with each other. It helped to relax so both muscles wouldn't be working at once, and to not push so hard. This tended to happen when I would use a weight so large it would be moving very slowly or not at all; it seems the muscles need some movement/yield, not just resistance. At the same time an amount of muscle competition must take place to keep the weight in control. I have always had a predisposition for working my fast twitch fibers so perhaps this contributed to problems when using heavy weights and slow movements. I guess this would be called "maltraining".

Mac said:
...Are the bones any use at this point?...

Traditionally they have been reused, although today I guess it would depend on the quality of the bones to begin with. If you try to make another batch of broth from the same bones, the worst you can do is end up with hot water.

If you aren't going to use the leftover bones some other way (as suggested in other posts), you could try reusing them and see what happens. If the result looks, smells, and tastes like broth, it's broth (though probably weaker than the original batch). If it seems to be water, it's water.

Mac said:
Well, next time I'll know. :-[ There is about an inch of fat at the top of the jar and I still have the meat and fat I trimmed off. The broth tastes good. Maybe I throw some that in the broth, heat it and have a good soup. :)

I bought a food scale that measures in 1 gram increments this will help me visualize protein/fat the portions I am eating so I can get the proportions right.

Mac

NEVER trim off fat! Sheesh!

I'm doing a little better, I still need a nap, but it is shorter now.

Also the last days where more difficult nonetheless with lots of nausea and also vomiting at one point. Most often fat, if it makes problems, it is about 6-7 hrs after the last buttered tea. I cannot take extra digestive tabletts at the moment since my order was after two weeks canceled and now I have to wait again. And with the exercises the insulin resistance got lower today and I can only write, that proteins do raise blood sugar and fat does definitely not :).

Laura said:
Mac said:

Mac

NEVER trim off fat! Sheesh!

Got it. Rookie mistake. I'll add some lard to it to pump up the fat level.

Mac

Back
Top Bottom