Learning HOW to Read -- Any Suggestions?

SHOTW is a book that demands a slow reading method for me (and I'm still not finished!). As others have said, with so much info from throughout history, names/dates etc., it will also need a reread. Considered learning to speed read, but just can't absorb the material any faster than I'm able. This is the most important issue for me, to make sure the material is assimilated. When I read ISOTM, I read it in small portions so it would fully absorb. When there was something that I couldn't grasp, I re read it without going any further until it was as clear as possible. The parts that resonated strongly were bookmarked, as well as those that needed clarification.

One thing I never do is force myself to read when tired. Total waste for me, as it just doesn't sink in. Was fortunate to read ISOTM and The Fire From Within when work wasn't so busy. Read them in my "special place", a quiet and very isolated outdoor area, many kilometres from any distractions. If you get this opportunity, I highly recommend it as there is nothing like being able to concentrate on your book with no background noise.

I'm bumping this thread up to the top to maybe get a few more tips and tricks from others on how to internalize read material.

How often do you guys stop to reflect on what you read? Do you read one chapter? A few pages? A few chapters?

All too often it happens that I've just finished a chapter (20-30 pages) and when trying to think back on what I just read, I can only pull from memory the faintest of general threads discussed. I have started to take more notes while reading and writing down bullet points seems to help a lot. One bullet point represents an entire "information packet" and just seeing those few words will kind of let me remember the bigger ideas behind it.

I'm in awe of the research capabilities of authors like Laura and I would like to know more about the methods she and others use to be able to compile so much data into comprehensible and easily digestible packets of information.

Back
Top Bottom