Learning the Shakuhachi

I is really fascinating, this instrument pushes a calm down button for me. It is like everything stands still at the moment. And before I read what you have written, I thought, cool, he can control the sound with moving his head :lol: Thank you for sharing and there is nothing embarrassing in it!:hug2:

Not much progress to report this time. RSI I occasionally have in my right thumb from too much computer use has flared up again, probably from holding the shakuhachi in a sub-optimal way, exacerbated by moving heavy furniture around last weekend.. been resting it as much as possible, wearing a brace and using tiger balm/menthol gel etc.. and working on re-training myself to keep arms and hands relaxed while playing, and wrists straight...and regular hand stretching... It's starting to feel better now. I've been watching videos of many different players and everyone holds the flutes differently so I don't think there is one correct way, just gotta feel it out what's right for my hands...

Anyways, today I noticed that Australian player Bronwyn Kirkpatrick, who I linked to earlier in the thread, has released a new album. On it, there are her shakuhachi interpretations of 3 Hildegard von Bingen pieces! I love that music.. reckon it suits the shaku well. Here are some of her videos:

Oh, Riley Lee also plays Hildegard von Bingen:

My hand is much better now, though still the occasional twinge when I forget to keep it relaxed..

I want to learn how to make my own shakuhachis. I'd very much like to work on something physical you do with your hands - which I've not really done since I started down the path of being a computer programmer as a kid. Just, something completely different...

Well, so, my Grandma happens to have bamboo growing on her property, planted by my Grandpa maybe 25 years ago or so! She kindly said I could collect some. I don't know what kind of bamboo it is, or how suitable for shakuhachis it'll be - most of the accessible bits are too narrow. But I took 2 culms, one narrow-ish one from the edge, and one big thick one from in the middle (that took awhile to dig out!).. They're definitely not ideal for shakuhachi, I think the node spacing at the root end is all wrong, but you can make flutes out of pretty much anything cylindrical and hollow, so it'll be fine....

1695279050535.jpg

They have to be dried, for months at least (some shakuhachi makers dry/age them for YEARS first). Different people do different things. The Australian guy who made my first shaku says he just leaves his in the sun for a few months, so I'm going to do that.

Anyway, since I had these quite long pieces of bamboo, and the upper ends of it are less-suitable for shakus, I decided to make a test one with some of that "spare" bamboo, without waiting for it to dry. I watched a youtube video of a guy who makes 'em.. pretty simple! I did somewhat cure the bamboo over a fire - heat draws out the oils - but it's still quite green, not at all a proper thing to make a flute out of. Oh well, I wanted to see what it was like. The piece I cut was 71.3cm long, starting and ending at nodes - rather than cutting a specific length to achieve a certain base pitch I'll just go with how the bamboo grew. It's only 4 nodes which is not really enough (aesthetically at least! but also, in a 'jinashi' shakuhachi like this, ie one which is just raw bamboo, no laquer in the bore, the node walls can be shaved down to adjust the tuning of the pockets of air pressure between each node)... but, no matter. 71.3cm means this is a bass shaku, with a low pitch of almost-but-not-quite A.

Here you can see it halfway through heating, see the colour change...
1695913890435.jpg

I didn't have a sharp, small handsaw to cut a nice sharp & clean blowing edge, so instead filed it down with a rasp. Blowing the first note through it, before there were finger holes, was magic!! Such a rich sound. Then I drilled finger holes. The ratios for hole spacing (for the usual, current day shaku, aimed to be tuned to a minor pentatonic.. though some are different! I don't yet understand why..) are:

1st hole - (bamboo length / 54.5) * 12.1
space between holes - (bamboo length / 10.0)
space between 4th and thumb hole - (bamboo length / 54.5) * 3.6

I didn't have a drill bit big enough to make the holes the proper size, so after drilling through these really thick bamboo walls, just carved them bigger with a pocket knife and rasped the edges a bit.. but oh no, the pitches were wildly offset! All notes/note ratio too low, completely wrong.. It sounded cool though, like some kind of Middle Eastern scale.

So then I made a mistake and started carving out the node walls, to raise the pitch.. I'm not 100% sure, will need to experiment again next time, but I *think* I should've left the lower node alone and only carved the upper node(s). Or maybe that wouldn't have fixed it either... Anyway, it didn't work... All it did was change the sound and make it less interesting.. though still quite nice.

Then I realised I had to make the finger holes bigger (again, to raise the pitch).. By now I figured the flute was a write-off so I just got on with doing whatever, to see what happened. Made the 1st hole really wide and that brought all the pitches into line, phew! Except, I made it much too wide. My finger can hardly cover it...haha... d'oh. It's almost impossible to play the lowest note. I made all the other holes a bit too big also, though they're playable, but not very quickly or accurately.. but, the tuning is approximately OK sounding to my ears. (Didn't bother using a tuner, just went by ear, this is meant to be a weird meditation flute, not an ensemble instrument. I like sounds which sound slightly flat...)

1695913822403.jpg

1695919216096.jpg

I guess this flute will be very susceptible to cracking, or it'll go all wrong as it gradually dries out, but that's ok. Interested to see what happens..

So yep, that was fun! I've been playing it today and, the blowing edge is very easy to get a sound with.. shame about the giant finger holes. This thing sounds way bassier and richer than my other flutes, not sure if it's because it has a very wide bore, or the bamboo walls are really thick (probably too thick), or if that's just what 'jinashi' sounds like... Oh, except the upper octave, what I can play of it, sounds terrible.. I think the air pressure is just all wrong in the bore...

Here's a little sound demo, just messing around. (sounds horrid on tiny mobile phone speakers, listen on a phone at your own risk)

I look forward to making a couple proper ones - a higher pitched one next up! - when the rest of this bamboo dries out...hopefully with more success. I'd love to become able to make decent instruments. The green one really did sound amazing and interesting before I opened up the nodes, it had very high pressure inside, lots of breath/finger feedback, responsive and very alive sounding... I couldn't quite believe it.. Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• 1695914253721.jpg
    1695914253721.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2
I deleted the previous videos because they weren't very interesting or sounding good. And I don't really like appearing on video.. trying to get over that, but failed for now.. Anyway if anyone is curious to hear my shakuhachi, I uploaded this much more relaxed, better sounding audio:

Getting the hang of playing this weird wonky flute. It's capable of more subtle tones than I'd thought, just requires a very gentle touch..it goes big and brash too easily. I sanded down the edges of the finger holes a lot more and it's slightly easier to play now. Also seems to be drying out quicker with having been already turned into a flute and being played, it's gone noticeably less green and lost its plant-y smell.

Made a second test flute.. It has tuning problems which I don't yet know how to solve, though it came out much more playable than the first one... I can't get it to jump to the upper octave. I've been trying to sand away different points within the bore to adjust the sound, learning about air pressure/flow nodes/anti-nodes (no luck yet)... Interesting though..

From a useful shakuhachi tuning post I found:
  1. Removing material at a pressure anti-node/velocity node (where the air does not move at all, but changes pressure the most) will always flatten the note
    1. Conversely, removing material at a velocity anti-node/pressure node (where the pressure does not change but the air moves the most) will sharpen the note
    2. Remember, a node is where the thing does not happen, so a pressure node is where pressure does not change and a velocity node is where the velocity does not change (and stays 0). Also remember that a velocity anti-node is the same thing as a pressure node and vice-versa
  2. The nodes are dependent on what note is being played (which just changes the effective length of the tube) and what octave it is (higher octaves will split the nodes/antinodes further, creating more in-between). Compare this image of otsu to this one of kan.
  3. So, If ro kan is too sharp compared to otsu, remove material (widen the inner bore) at the 1/4 length and 3/4 length positions
    1. This will make ro kan flatter but won't affect ro otsu (at least not significantly) since there are no nodes or anti-nodes at those positions in ro otsu
  4. If kan is too flat compared to otsu, remove material from the center (1/2 length position)
    1. This will make ro otsu flatter and make ro kan sharper
    2. Removing material at the top or bottom of the flute will theoretically flatten both ro otsu and ro kan so it will not help get them in tune with each-other, but it can be useful in tuning them with respect to other notes that don't have nodes/antinodes there.

Prairie2014_Fig01_RGB_100dpi_c00s00.jpg

When I eventually try to make a good shakuhachi I'll have to adjust the standard spacing formulae for the wide bore of this bamboo - the tone holes definitely need to be further up the flute.

But, I like the sound of this wrong tuning! It's possible to play this like normal shaku tuning with a bit of extra effort. Without the extra effort, it sounds kinda Arabic or something... Here's me messing around on it tonight:

View attachment dusky-1.9.mp3

Que diriez vous de penser et de vous essayer à composer une bande musicale avec votre flûte pour nos séances de Reiki ?...
Je trouve que votre instrument pourrait servir à l'état méditatif dans le quel nous sommes pendant les séances que nous offrons...
Il faudrait juste penser à marquer un intervalle, comme un silence prononcé, toutes les 5 minutes pendant 15 minutes le temps d'une séance... Au plaisir de lire votre réponse...

How about thinking about and trying your hand at composing a musical soundtrack with your flute for our Reiki sessions?...I find that your instrument could be used in the meditative state we are in during the sessions we offer...We should just think about marking an interval, like a pronounced silence, every 5 minutes for 15 minutes for the duration of a session... Looking forward to reading your response...

🥰

@PERLOU - thanks for the thought! I'd LOVE to do something like that, I would be honoured! But I don't think I have the ability yet to play something suitable and really worthwhile.. my playing & breathing are still very inconsistent. I'll keep it in mind though, keep practising and see what I can do...

[deepl translation:] Merci pour l'idée ! J'adorerais faire quelque chose comme ça, j'en serais honoré ! Mais je ne pense pas avoir la capacité de jouer quelque chose de convenable et qui en vaille vraiment la peine... mon jeu et ma respiration sont encore très incohérents. Je vais garder cela à l'esprit, continuer à m'entraîner et voir ce que je peux faire...

@Emerald Rob hah! I always wanted to play didgeridoo, but somehow have never had a go on one, even being from northern australia, the land of the didj..!

Il n'y a pas d'urgence Brandon, prenez tout votre temps et MERCI d'avoir accepté l'idée... 🥰

There is no rush Brandon, take your time and THANK YOU for accepting the idea... 🥰

Made a third shakuhachi, this time with a root end piece of bamboo.. I now hear why they use those, the natural taper of the bore towards the root makes it super responsive and lively sounding. This piece of bamboo is quite narrow so I didn't expect it to be much good, I thought it would have a thin & small sound... was pleasantly surprised! It has a nice full tone, it's really fun to play. Managed to get this one roughly in tune without having to mess with the tone hole sizes, yay... Here's me playing it today in my grandma's lounge room.. I'll try not to delete the video later... Playing improves bit by bit...

Here's a recording of my fourth shakuhachi.. I LOVE this one.. It's a short fat little flute, so, higher pitched.. Has a sweet tone which always makes me happy when I hear it. The recording is just some bits of me messing around, and then I put it in two layers so it's like a duet with myself - except the different sections are placed randomly, I couldn't hear what I was "dueting" with until afterwards... just to see what it'd sound like.. it's a bit cacophonous but I like it. Sort of a sound bath... Can't wait to get good enough to do this more purposefully and write actual pieces...

View attachment toucan_hyperspace_navigator.mp3

IMG_20231112_151810.jpg

Made yet another test shakuhachi, this one out of a bamboo root end, a big wide one.. a rather ugly piece which was all scratched up and bent weirdly, and with too many nodes. Had to try though.. I've been slowly refining it for the last week, using sandpaper attached to narrow sticks to reach inside around the bends, to sand away here & there.. Pretty happy with the sound of it now, except I can't tell if kan is good, because I still can't play that high octave properly. It's moderately in tune at least! It's another lower bassy flute.. Here's a short clip I liked from practise the other day.. cool how these can sometimes sound almost like a cello...

View attachment rainy.mp3

And a longer bit of noodling around, from today, recorded in a room with bad acoustics except towards the end where I moved to the carport with birds & rain..

A few weeks ago I decided to learn how to play the Shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute).. I'd been wanting to learn a new, completely different, instrument for a few years (used to play classical guitar, but have mainly written electronic/computer music).. Never played a wind instrument before and hadn't considered one until now. It's really interesting and fun!

The Shakuhachi is lovely. They're traditionally made from the root end of a specific kind of bamboo, and treated with a lacquer made from a certain kind of sap. They have 4 finger holes and 1 thumb hole, and the blowing edge is just a sharpened part of the rim. They were played by Zen Buddhist monks.. the fellows who wore baskets over their heads.

View attachment 77128

I bought a beginner's one from an Australian guy who makes them out of local Aurea bamboo. I don't know how it compares to antique Japanese ones :) But it sounds beautiful and I love it.

View attachment 77127

That Wikipedia article isn't kidding about how versatile these flutes are! The range of notes and timbres you can make seems amazing for something with only 5 holes.. I love its classic "breathy" sound, but you can play cleaner, purer tones, muted sounding tones almost like a clarinet or oboe or something.. even didgeridoo-esque vocal flourishes, and strange warbling sounds and overtones. Minute alterations in the configuration of your lips, angle of your head, exact way you're covering holes with your fingers, even the speed at which you lift or place your fingers, all changes the sound... I had no idea of any of this when I started.. It's going to be a long quest to become a Shakuhachi master. =) Took me 2 weeks (of trying a few minutes a day) to even get a sound out of it! Of course there are similar traditional flutes from lots of different countries and they're probably all just as cool.

For the moment, I'm not doing any kind of proper structured learning, or trying to play any specific songs...just improvising... I watched a few youtube videos and am spending little moments throughout the day experimenting with it. I can make sound no worries, but my consistency is all over the place. Most of the time I can't play the upper octave (which is done by changing embouchure) except by accident.... but some days ALL I can play is the upper octave. Just in the last couple days I started getting very nice sounding classic openly breathy sounding notes... Some days, everything sounds horrid and squawky. I will eventually buy a book and try to follow specific techniques - I would like to try to learn some of the traditional Honkyoku pieces - I really like how they're more like sound paintings than songs - but at the moment I'm concentrating on my posture, finger and lip positions, and BREATHING (I need to do EE). It's profoundly relaxing and satisfying. Wish I had somewhere to play where I wouldn't bother people... maybe somewhere with a nice natural reverb.. I tend to inadvertently play an overly-muted sound, maybe because I try to play quietly...

BTW I don't particularly know anything about Zen Buddhism (though the Tao Te Ching made perfect sense to me when I read it, it was the first religious type thing I read that thought the same way I did), for me this is mainly about sound. Any meditative benefits are a lovely bonus.

I arrived at the Shakuhachi in a silly roundabout way... Its simplicity, the mindfulness required to play it, and the fact that it's all about breath, are what attracted me to it... But the way it jumped out at me was, I was reading some science fiction novels - David Zindell's 'Neverness' series - in which a main character plays Shakuhachi and carries it with him everywhere.. I liked how the books described the character's love for the instrument, and how the music he made with it was like elemental nature. When I looked up what this instrument was, I realised I'd heard it before, a LOT....... because there's a famous sound sample of a Shakuhachi which was part of a sound library, and was used in HEAPS of music, particularly 1990's jungle/drum'n'bass which I was into in my misspent youth. Ohhh, it's THAT flute sound! I even used to use that sample in my own electronic tracks as a teenager, it was one of my favourite sounds to use...

Here are a few Shakuhachi pieces I like..

Here's a cover of Jimi Hendrix's Hey Joe: Hey Joe, by Cornelius Boots - Bass Shakuhachi, Nature Blues 尺八

And this other guy I found on Bandcamp, I think he's not as good a player as the previous ones (who are all proper grand masters!), but I like his improvisational style.. this piece is all slidey and bendy: Present in Transformations, by Shakuhachi Spirit

And, OK well, here are a couple little recordings of me playing... just random noodling... I'm an absolute beginner. I added a lot of reverb because it makes me sound better than I am. I also overlaid recordings of the creek near my house, because it sounds nice. Not brave enough to actually play down by the creek yet :D The 3rd file is just Shakuhachi without reverb, so you can hear what it really sounds like.. These were recorded on a little old Minidisc condenser microphone, nothing fancy... I figured out it sounds nicest if I place the mic next to my mouth, but don't have a mic stand so had to hunch over awkwardly instead of sitting/standing tall...

View attachment 77131
View attachment 77132
View attachment 77133

Thanks for reading / listening! If anyone else plays Shakuhachi or something similar, you are most welcome to post about your adventures here too..
Awesome post. I still love drum and bass to this day, and have an entire room full of jungle vinyl rom the era which sampled this instrument. Had not the faintest idea it was this! Did you make any drum and bass at all? I'd love to hear it if you did

Back
Top Bottom