Levitating and Manipulating Objects With Sound

Navigator

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Interesting...

_http://beta.slashdot.org/story/196387

Nerval's Lobster writes "Researchers at the University of Tokyo have published a paper and video describing a technique that is explicitly not an anti-gravity system, and doesn't pretend to be, but looks very much like one.

'The essence of levitation is the countervailing of gravity,' according to the provocative opening of a paper published Dec. 14 on the Cornell University science-publishing site arXiv.org that describes a way to not only raise an object into the air, but maneuver it in three dimensions using only standing waves of ultrasound.

Since the mid-1970s, researchers have been able to levitate small objects using focused beams of high-frequency sound that bounce off a flat surface and create a wave of pressure that pushes the object into the air. But they couldn't cause an object to float, and they couldn't move it around in any direction other than up or down. The University of Tokyo team led by Yoichi Ochiai built a system that could raise small particles, water droplets and even 'small creatures' off a flat surface and zoom them around within an open, cubical area about 21 inches on each side. The system uses four sets of phased arrays – speakers producing focused beams of sound at around 40kHz – to create waves of ultrasonic force on every side of the object rather than just one.

The force produced by each of the four ultrasound sources can be changed – and the force on the object manipulated – using the same techniques utilized by older systems. Coordinating the frequencies and force of ultrasound arrays on four sides, however, creates a consistent focal point for the force from each. By keeping frequency changes in sync, the system creates a 'bubble' within which the force from all four sources is consistent no matter where within the target area the focus is directed."

Also, the video here is fascinating
http://www.sott.net/article/271232-Japanese-scientists-levitate-these-objects-with-sound-waves

So does that mean that this kind of "levitation" wouldn't work in a vacuum?

That is really fascinating and just cool to be honest.

If my understanding is correct sound waves are actually longitudinal waves opposed to the transverse waves given in their illustrations.

https://youtu.be/Rbuhdo0AZDU

Keeping this in mind other scientist have found that creating longitudinal electric waves (pulsed highvoltage D.C.) gave rise to gravitational anomalies as well. So maybe it's the longitudinal aspect that is key here?

_http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/08/prweb147720.htm
Russian gravity researcher Evgeny Podkletnov announced during a July 29th interview that he has created an experimental apparatus capable of generating a beam of pure-gravitational energy capable of exerting hundreds of pounds of force on objects. The beam, which Podkletnov claims is produced by a high-voltage discharge onto a 4-inch diameter superconductor, is said to have a range in excess of 5 kilometers, and capable of penetrating materials without a loss in energy. It is said to be powerful enough to shatter brick, punch holes through concrete, and deforms metal targets "like hitting it with a sledgehammer".

Incredibly off topic I guess, but it seems like the wave form really matters and because they illustrated the concept using transverse waves may be really misleading to the public. If of course this concept, that has been discovered by several scientist including tesla, is correct.

Pashalis said:
So does that mean that this kind of "levitation" wouldn't work in a vacuum?

To answer your question maybe? I just read some excerpts from one of tesla's lectures where he posited that sound actually traveled at the speed of light in space. Maybe this is because sound can only travel as fast as the medium in which it is travelling will allow, or more specifically it could depend on the different qualities of said medium.

_http://aetherforce.com/teslas-dynamic-theory-of-gravity/
He described how purplish coronal discharges about the bulb when in use, verified the existence of “particles smaller than air”, and a gas so light that an earth-sized volume would weigh only 1/20 pound. He further said sound waves moved at the velocity of light through this medium.

However, I cannot corroborate that lightspeed soundwave statement whatsoever.

Sound waves are indeed longitudinal (compression waves). What they want to show is the potential field that results from standing waves. They did a poor job in that. For instance, in their preprint, they present the horizontal two-dimensional potential field that permits them to control the moving of the objects. However, a more complete model should include the vertical component of the field which is responsible for the levitation, which requires a three-dimensional modelling of the standing wave-induced potential.

What exactly is a longitudinal electromagnetic wave?

Would it be an increase or decrease in frequency, followed by a decrease or increase in frequency respectively?

Or is it something completely different?

He described how purplish coronal discharges about the bulb when in use, verified the existence of “particles smaller than air”, and a gas so light that an earth-sized volume would weigh only 1/20 pound. He further said sound waves moved at the velocity of light through this medium.

One thing comes to mind. A corona field or anywhere an electrical breakdown of the medium occurs, there will in all likelihood be negative resistance. The potential effects of a negative resistance field on the electrostatic and electromagnetic behavior of things within the field should be considered.

I discuss this here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,32560.0.html

Archaea said:

Would it be an increase or decrease in frequency, followed by a decrease or increase in frequency respectively?

Water waves are transverse and longitudinal.... and electromagnetic waves are defined as transverse because the electric and magnetic "parts" are perpendicular to each other. But in a water wave the particles move in a circle for the longitudinal aspect -- but never forward like a longitudinal only wave? So I'm not really sure how to compare the two or if you can even derive what a longitudinal em wave would look like but it might be a good place to start.

Also, maybe this is silly but why isn't a regular EM wave already longitudinal, wikipedia says most EMR waves travel in straight lines, which would in my mind mean that its direction of propagation already makes it longitudinal and the fact that the electric and magnetic parts are transverse is something else, maybe someone knows why this isn't considered true (or is this the dual wavicle theory?)? I guess my point is that a transverse wave the particles don't move 'longitudinally', they just oscillate up and down making a wave motion whereas a longitudinal wave the particles are actually moving in the propagation direction MAKING the wave. I'm confused :lol:

Rise said:
Archaea said:

Water waves are transverse and longitudinal.... and electromagnetic waves are defined as transverse because the electric and magnetic "parts" are perpendicular to each other. But in a water wave the particles move in a circle for the longitudinal aspect -- but never forward like a longitudinal only wave? So I'm not really sure how to compare the two or if you can even derive what a longitudinal em wave would look like but it might be a good place to start.

Also, maybe this is silly but why isn't a regular EM wave already longitudinal, wikipedia says most EMR waves travel in straight lines, which would in my mind mean that its direction of propagation already makes it longitudinal and the fact that the electric and magnetic parts are transverse is something else, maybe someone knows why this isn't considered true (or is this the dual wavicle theory?)? I guess my point is that a transverse wave the particles don't move 'longitudinally', they just oscillate up and down making a wave motion whereas a longitudinal wave the particles are actually moving in the propagation direction MAKING the wave. I'm confused :lol:

Conventional EM waves travel (under normal conditions) in a straight line. Osit. But their corollary forces and fields / energy radiate in a direction that is perpendicular to its travel.

So for example if you thought about an electromagnetic wave (think laser) travelling along the x axis, the magnetic field radiates perpendicular to the x-axis. So theoretically its forces or fields would affect materials that lie in the y or even z-planes. I'm better with visuals so how about this...

electromagneticjavafigure1.jpg

Think about all of the wasted energy needed to throw it's sphere of influence in directions that do not contribute to it's path. This may be why light supposedly has a speed limit. Conversely, electricity can also travel longitudinally. In the form of pulses. So instead of that transverse wave you would have a sharp increase in static voltage and/or potential followed by a subsequent relaxation. One cycle would be the "time" it took from the point of high voltage potential to low voltage potential and then back to high. This can be measured in frequency like it's transverse brethren.

One interesting thought though. Things in nature seem to pulse. Making longitudinal waves more akin to how nature operates. They have also found many anomalies with pulsed High static voltage D.C. (longitudinal, ergo the electric forces are moving in the same direction as its line of travel and may also help it along. Allowing it to travel faster than the speed of light), some gravitic some healing, and last but certainly not least the fact that it shattered the speed of light. This is all related to pulsing electric potential rather than modulating it transversely and may have led to how they discovered gravity waves from electric pulses.

Interesting thing to note....the more asymmetric the pulse, with respect to time ( meaning it takes less time to reach the apex of the potential spike than it does to go back down), the greater the gravitic affect. The waveform is in effect unstable (does not have a symmetric rise and fall). Unstable gravity waves anyone? ;D

Rise said:
Archaea said:

Hi Rise,

I'm confused as well, but I have a theory, and I've been working on the mathematics of it lately and have been thinking of starting a new thread outlining my ideas (which are largely Einstein's ideas but with a different mathematical derivation.) My main idea is that the rate of change of frequency of a light wave is responsible for an observed acceleration of an object or another observer.

This is the reason for my questions: I think if the rate of change in frequency isn't zero, i.e. df/dr ≠ 0, where r is the space coordinate, then there would be an observed acceleration in either the -r or +r direction. So if a longitudinal wave were an increase or decrease in frequency followed by a decrease or increase, then I think this would be a push or pull force followed by a pull or push. I'm thinking I'll start a new post soon, even though I haven't gone through everything I'd like to, and just see what others think of it, if anything.

trendsetter37 said:
Conventional EM waves travel (under normal conditions) in a straight line. Osit. But their corollary forces and fields / energy radiate in a direction that is perpendicular to its travel.

So for example if you thought about an electromagnetic wave (think laser) travelling along the x axis, the magnetic field radiates perpendicular to the x-axis. So theoretically its forces or fields would affect materials that lie in the y or even z-planes. I'm better with visuals so how about this...

electromagneticjavafigure1.jpg

Hey trendsetter,

So an interesting question might be: would a longitudinal EM wave have a field of force that lies in the x plane?

Here's the Wikipedia page for longitudinal waves. It's pretty sparse but contains a section on electromagnetic longitudinal waves. It says that these waves can exist in plasma waves or guided waves, whatever they are. It also gives the equation for a longitudinal sound wave:

cb40f0dd0181e7844a338a27aed3f97d.png

So from this it looks like the wavelength is dependent on the x coordinate, i.e. the space coordinate, and the speed of the wave c. However, the time coordinate t would be relative to the observer as far as I'm aware, so that would suggest to me that, for light, this equation would be observer dependent.

trendsetter37 said:
Think about all of the wasted energy needed to throw it's sphere of influence in directions that do not contribute to it's path. This may be why light supposedly has a speed limit. Conversely, electricity can also travel longitudinally. In the form of pulses. So instead of that transverse wave you would have a sharp increase in static voltage and/or potential followed by a subsequent relaxation. One cycle would be the "time" it took from the point of high voltage potential to low voltage potential and then back to high. This can be measured in frequency like it's transverse brethren.

Believe it or not, I think this is where spirals come in. The C's said that spirals are on the way to an understanding of gravity. I think that if an electric pulse were to move along a spiral it would create a gravitational field perpendicular to the spiral. This is because the electric pulse travels "down" the spiral, then up, then down again, ect. This would create an EM wave which is constantly increasing or decreasing in frequency and amplitude (not that I have any ideas about amplitude, I think it might just be an engineering problem at this stage.)

trendsetter37 said:
One interesting thought though. Things in nature seem to pulse. Making longitudinal waves more akin to how nature operates. They have also found many anomalies with pulsed High static voltage D.C. (longitudinal, ergo the electric forces are moving in the same direction as its line of travel and may also help it along. Allowing it to travel faster than the speed of light), some gravitic some healing, and last but certainly not least the fact that it shattered the speed of light. This is all related to pulsing electric potential rather than modulating it transversely and may have led to how they discovered gravity waves from electric pulses.

This makes me think of another question: If there were such a thing as a "frequency wave" through a normal EM wave, would it be bound to the speed of light? Having said that, I already think it's possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light relative to another observer. And after doing the mathematics, I now think it's possible to observe something travelling faster than the speed of light (please don't hate me) it just might look like really high frequency light or really low frequency light.

trendsetter37 said:
Interesting thing to note....the more asymmetric the pulse, with respect to time ( meaning it takes less time to reach the apex of the potential spike than it does to go back down), the greater the gravitic affect. The waveform is in effect unstable (does not have a symmetric rise and fall). Unstable gravity waves anyone? ;D

I buy that (at this stage) most definitely. It'd be interesting, I think, to see how asymmetric electric pulses relate to quantum theory. Although I think that, for an unstable gravity wave, the pulse would rise asymmetrically, but I'm not sure how it would fall (if that makes sense.) :huh:

Why would an asymmetric waveform be called "unstable"? Seems there is more context than that. A waveform is just a form or profile. Unstable seems to mean a behavior, and interaction.

monotonic said:
Why would an asymmetric waveform be called "unstable"? Seems there is more context than that. A waveform is just a form or profile. Unstable seems to mean a behavior, and interaction.

In this case, based off of the experiments, waveform seems to indicate what the behavior or interaction will be. They are intermingled rather than separate from one another.

For example: excuse the spelling and grammar I tried to draw this really fast at work

bek2LAp.jpg

So given the caption in the above picture. The rate of change or rise in voltage, as indicated with the y-axis, is not the same as it’s decline. This scenario represents an unbalanced system (middle and right triangular waveforms). To which, whenever an unbalance occurs the universal method of operation is to strive for balance. Which is the force that attempts to rectify this.

With geometry if something is asymmetric it is also the unbalanced counterpart of its symmetric brethren. In the case of the three triangular wave representations resting on their respective points, it can be said the the first triangle should experience less turbulence than the other two.

Where as the middle triangle would fall towards the left and the right triangle would fall towards the right. Ironically enough these types of waveforms were tested in the lab with high-voltage pulses. Seemingly either using sawtooth waveforms or some other method to induce this state of instability. The middle waveform produced a gravitic well or attracting force but the last waveform produced a gravitic push. Think about that for a second. As this would mean that gravity has polarity depending on the geometry of the waveform being used. It may not be just a one way attraction.

It seems to have to do with an exponential increase in voltage followed by a much slower decline. The polarity of the voltage also plays a role in what effect was observed.

Take a look at the periodic table for instance. The noble gases contain a full octet or 8 electrons. In the usual atom if it had 8 constituents then it would form body-centered cubic structure with the 8 constituent atoms, electrons in this case, residing on the corners of the cube.

IlPZLqs.gif

Which would be symmetric relative to its center. It is effectively stable. Noble gases are inert for the most part, (although there are some exceptions) at least much more so than the rest of the “conventionally known” periodic table. Also think about this. The blue dot is the "positive" nucleus surrounded by the negative electrons. They also found that positive voltage is contractual or created a gravity well and negative voltage creates a gravity hill. Maybe this is why protons form the nucleus and electrons prefer to push away from each other. The stablest (if that's even a word) state of the outer electron shell given this context would mean the the electrons would choose a geometry that would allow all of them to maintain the maximum distance away from one another (they are dissipative by nature). Consequently, this would form the symmetry of the shell that has been observed. Instead of them clumping together like protons in a nucleus.

Let’s say you have less than 8 electrons. The atom will not have the same symmetry or balance and will tend to move towards there preferred state 8. Which could take the form of bonding, losing, or gaining electrons. This is why chemistry, biology, etc actually happens. Because there is a continuous flux that is not symmetric, balanced, or stable.

The electric pulses is in my opinion just behaving in the same manner as chemistry, just in a slightly altered context and of course with different methods and tools in the toolbox.

What do you guys think?

Btw Archaea, spirals and vortexes came up on multiple occasions in my studies the past few weeks but I will start another thread to address that topic.

monotonic said:

Hi monotonic,

This website defines an unstable wave as:

(physics) A wave motion whose amplitude increases with time or whose total energy increases at the expense of its environment.

So that's why I thought that if gravity can be created by an asymmetric electric pulse, then an unstable gravity wave could be created on the up-swing of the electric pulse. But the above definition doesn't say anything about the decrease in amplitude or energy, so I'm unsure where the down-swing of the electric pulse would come in.

Although, as far as I'm aware, this has all been discussion up to this point. I think that a better understanding of the mathematics would solve this problem.

Trendsetter,

I would be interested to see what the EM waves produced by the asymmetric voltages look like, specifically whether the rate of change of frequency is some function of time...

I'd also like to know how/whether the gravitational pushes and pulls fade, and if it's possible to create a constant gravitation force, or if the field created this way will have to fluctuate in some way.

Having a computer program that can produce graphs of functions would probably help me with these questions... :rolleyes:

Btw Archaea, spirals and vortexes came up on multiple occasions in my studies the past few weeks but I will start another thread to address that topic.

I'll keep my eyes open. :)

Didn't the Coral Castle guy supposedly use both sound AND electricity to levitate the stones? Just thought I'd toss that in.

Back
Top Bottom