Life with Passive aggressive Personality Disorder

Arwenn said:
Laura said:
Arwenn said:
Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently? And the brilliant way in which these psychological deviants co-opt people and distort reality is really quite something else - so how do you cope with this in the workplace? As Simon mentions in his book, you can only really change your behaviour and control your responses, but how does one deal with the fallout from colleagues or bosses having a distorted version of you that they believe whole-heartedly?

It's a tough one. When I separated from my ex, everybody and his brother was onto me about "why are you divorcing such a nice guy?" They didn't know what life was like in our house, they only knew what he projected. So the one thing I would do different is, once I had an inkling of how things were, I would begin to strategically let other people know so that I would have more of a support network.

The problem is, as you noted, that we project onto others our own inner landscape and assume that they feel about things the same way we do. And so we keep trying to fix things, to twist ourselves up in knots to accommodate the "wounds" of this other. And I'm not so sure that being wounded is the cause of it. After many years perspective, dredging up and analyzing every piece of data, I'm inclined to think my ex was just born selfish and his mode of manifesting it as passive aggressive was molded by his strict (yet hypocritical) fundamentalist Christian upbringing. Because, in the end, he did not care enough about ANYTHING OR ANYBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD to want to change even slightly. I don't think that attitude is one that develops via "wounding."

Laura, I guess these emotional manipulators would have to be fundamentally selfish people to do the things they do. Yet he loves animals, helps the elderly, would happily give his last cent to the homeless and needy-all the while neglecting his very own children, heck, downright abandoning them! :mad: The thing that makes me want to be ill, is that he sends than cards lamenting how much he misses them and how much he loves them, but will not be responsible for their upbringing in any way. How is that love? As Simon mentions in his book "Judge actions, not intentions". My ex intended to do much, but never came through on any of them.

Exactly my point. Why do you think I had no support? Why everyone thought I was nuts to divorce such a nice guy? He loved animals, helped the elderly, gave his last cent to the homeless, picked up hitchhikers and brought them home, was available to help anybody at anytime EXCEPT when we needed something at home. All of this was syruped over with "Christianity". And of course, when the day came, it was all my fault for being a faithless, non-Christian because, as he said, "I couldn't please you if I hung you with a new rope." That was classic and really exemplified his attitude.

But any conversation where I would try to point out what he was really doing, how it was really hurting me and his family, was fruitless. If I got to the point where I could logically lay out for him what he was doing and how he could try to change, he would get huffy, end the discussion, and tell me "well, if you know so much, you handle. If I'm such a bad guy, do it yourself." And off fishing. There was just NO WAY he could go there and accept that he had behaved any way but as a perfect Christian in all respects. His list of excuses was miles long. Everything was somebody else's fault and he could argue that til the cows came home.

Hope you are doing Ok Jeremy. :hug2:

thanks Arwenn. I have not forgotten your request for more details and I will respond to that in the coming days.

Jeremy, at least you concede that you have a behavioural problem- that's half the battle won!

And threads like this one are a good reminder that I have to keep a sharp eye on my behavior. So thanks for bringing this up.

Laura said:
Arwenn said:
Laura, I guess these emotional manipulators would have to be fundamentally selfish people to do the things they do. Yet he loves animals, helps the elderly, would happily give his last cent to the homeless and needy-all the while neglecting his very own children, heck, downright abandoning them! :mad: The thing that makes me want to be ill, is that he sends than cards lamenting how much he misses them and how much he loves them, but will not be responsible for their upbringing in any way. How is that love? As Simon mentions in his book "Judge actions, not intentions". My ex intended to do much, but never came through on any of them.

Exactly my point. Why do you think I had no support? Why everyone thought I was nuts to divorce such a nice guy? He loved animals, helped the elderly, gave his last cent to the homeless, picked up hitchhikers and brought them home, was available to help anybody at anytime EXCEPT when we needed something at home. All of this was syruped over with "Christianity". And of course, when the day came, it was all my fault for being a faithless, non-Christian because, as he said, "I couldn't please you if I hung you with a new rope." That was classic and really exemplified his attitude.

But any conversation where I would try to point out what he was really doing, how it was really hurting me and his family, was fruitless. If I got to the point where I could logically lay out for him what he was doing and how he could try to change, he would get huffy, end the discussion, and tell me "well, if you know so much, you handle. If I'm such a bad guy, do it yourself." And off fishing. There was just NO WAY he could go there and accept that he had behaved any way but as a perfect Christian in all respects. His list of excuses was miles long. Everything was somebody else's fault and he could argue that til the cows came home.

Oh Laura, I know exactly what you mean :hug2: It's the lack of support and having to do everything yourself, because they're are so inept at everything (all insidiously covert, of course), that's so draining. From a hyper-dimensional perspective, what better way to control us than through character disordered Agents? The more I read, the more I seem to come across similar stories of strong intelligent women having these relationships. All I can say, is that I'm so glad I'm no longer in that situation, and I have the benefit of hindsight and this network! :)

And as I quoted in my earlier post I take comfort in this quote:
"Don't worry; he didn't pick you because you are weak or an easy target. He picked you because you have all the qualities he wants and can never have"

Jeremy F Kreuz said:
Hope you are doing Ok Jeremy. :hug2:

thanks Arwenn. I have not forgotten your request for more details and I will respond to that in the coming days.

Jeremy, at least you concede that you have a behavioural problem- that's half the battle won!

And threads like this one are a good reminder that I have to keep a sharp eye on my behavior. So thanks for bringing this up.

Hi Jeremy,

It's good to hear from you. I look forward to you posting/sharing your perspective, so that we can all learn from it. I am reading a book by Martha Stout, and it brings to mind what she mentions about people who have the best chances of resolving their behavioral issues are those who take responsibility and stop putting their problems on others.

As I mentioned above, awareness is the key.

Arwenn,

as promised, some answers to your questions

when and what made you realize that you are passive-aggressive?

I started to realize I am passive aggressive after starting the thread ´a disturbing family weekend´. Somewhere along the way in that thread I read an article about passive aggressiveness and the description of the behavior struck me as very similar to mine. I then looked up some books on the topic, ordered and read them. This confirmed that I am most likely passive aggressive. This was a relief, as I know could but a name on my behavior which helped me to understand, to observe and to address my behavior.

I knew something as wrong with me, and I struggled a long time trying to define that, fearing like you say in your first post:

The labels of sociopath, psychopath schizotypal etc didn't fit him, although there were aspects along the continuum of personality disorders that applied, but I wouldn't say that he is a psychopath.

I feared I was a psychopath, but somehow the symptoms just did not fit my behavior. My wife has several time labeled me as a psychopath. She has not yet accepted that I am passive agressive and has not read yet on the topic. this is probably an obstacle, but I cannot force to accept it or read about it.

Was it a childhood set-up, that you were re-creating?

Yes I was recreating a childhood set up. I frequently look at my wife as if she is my mother. Especially in conflict I tend to regress to be a little boy in need and in rebellion to his mother. What you quoted in your first post is spot on in how passive aggressiveness develops, also in my case .

most often there is a domineering mother and a father who is ineffectual. There are power struggles in the marriage with one parent backing off and withdrawing. The boy feels trapped between choosing loyalties at home. He is afraid to compete with his father who is absent either physically or emotionally or perceived as being inadequate. In the typical mother dominant-father passive relationship, the boy learns that the job of being a man in relationship is to escape the woman's needs and subsequent demands.

That is exactly what I did all the time, and sometimes still regress to. My mother was very dominant and my father was always working (even when at home). My mother would punish me often for not living up to expectations or wrong doings. At the age of eight I came home and was punished by the schoolteacher for talking in class – my mother doubled the punishment. That is the moment I remember to start hiding things from her. What good to tell if only more punishment is the result? She was very dominant I was afraid to confront her. So I dodged and lied and found excuses and did what I want to do by doing it in secret. My front was being the good son, good student, good behaving. But there was a rebel in me who hated that. There was a lot of build up aggression that could not be expressed.

There is another book that might be interesting, which is called `the angry book´ - it talks about the dam of poisonous agression stacked up in the body and mind - this is my case too: I still have a lot of agression and it has not come out yet. EE has releaved some of it, but I can feel there is still a lot of it inside.

The young boy is not allowed to express his feelings and develop a sense of self. He wants his mother's attention and care yet he resents her continual intrusion. His anger grows but he cannot express it so it becomes submerged and is expressed in an unconscious ‘You can't tell me what to do.' He is not allowed to get his way by direct confrontation and competition so he learns to displace his anger through resistance. He learns to use charm, stubbornness, resistance and withdrawal to protect himself in power struggles. He rebels by becoming moody, being an underachiever or developing behavior problems. His self protectiveness and duplicity from the squelched anger and hostility becomes a habit that he plays out with other women he meets. He desperately seeks a woman to meet his needs of being accepted for who he is, but puts her off with small, continual acts of rebellion. He replays the distancing drama of his original family in the relationship.

That is what happens with my wife. I want her to care for me, to accept me the way I am. But I am not myself, I am this little boy who wants his mother to take care of him. So I tend to do things that force her to take things in control, and when she does, I hate it, I resent it, I start to rebel - which makes her even more in need to take control of things. A vicious circle.

The man with passive aggressive behavior needs someone to be the object of his hidden hostility. He needs an adversary whose expectations and demands he can resist as he plays out the dance he learned from his parents. He chooses a woman who will agree to be on the receiving end of his disowned anger. He resists her in small ways setting up a pattern of frustration so that she gets to express the anger that he cannot.

Again spot on. I can make my wife so angry she explodes – like my mother did – which gives my internal voice all the reasons to resent her, to hate her – just like I did my mother. In other occasions other woman are the object of my hostility. In the beginning on this forum Laura was the object of my hostility. I lashed out once badly at her (the MMS story)

How have you moved forward?

I have made some progress. I am catching myself more and more in the act of my mechanical behavior. The most difficult period of the month is when my wife has her periods – it is a time we both still cannot handle properly. She becomes moody and easily upset, which pushes me back into passive aggressive behavior, and it mostly ends up in a big blow up, or days of silence. I am aware I fall back into passive aggressive mode, try to come out of it, but at that time my wife is not easily to be approached with reason, and so for the moment we have not found the solution.

How have I moved forward? I read quiet some books on the topic and related issues. I do the EE and the ketogenic diet, which help tremendously. Beside that we have made some career moves. The big frustration of my wife was that as mother of two children she did not have time and opportunities to develop her career. I tended (like my father) to work a lot and was due to the nature of my work often weeks not home. We decided to switch this around. My wife has gone now full time on her career and I took a half time job, working on the mornings and taking care of the household and the children in the afternoons. This was a relief on the one hand (my wife doing what she always wanted to do) but brought also new stresses, as she was now responsible for the main income for the family. The last point has been more problematic since I lost my half time job. I am still working half time – as a bike courier in town (which does not pay as good as my previous half time job) and at the same time I am developing a book selling business (which will take some time to generate income).

I continue to be as alert as possible towards my behavior, and try to catch me when I fall back. I try to live up to my promises (like answering your questions), try to not dodge responsibilities and when I feel something, to express it, when I want to be silent, to talk. But like I wrote, there is still a lot of build up agression and I am often afraid of it. What would happen if I did explode?

Is manipulating so subtle, that you really have to catch yourself doing it?

I don´t think it is subtle, it is rather stupidly blatant, that is, once you start to notice it. The biggest challenge for me was and is to see that most of my reactions are learned and mechanical and that once I can see them as mechanical I can catch myself in the act, correct it, or admit to my wife I was acting passive aggressive when she points it out. I try not to deny my behavior and I think for somebody passive aggressive that is one of the most difficult ones. My wife has become pretty good in spotting, and in fact she is a good teacher. The difficulty is that the student (I) is not always prepared to listen.

But how much have I spotted and how much not? I don´t know. The relationship with my wife has become better but I cannot say it is flowering. I still have the tendency to run away from intimacy, still have a lot of work to do on myself.

Hope this has answered some of your questions. If you have more, I will try to answer them.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your post and for being so open about your perspective. Like I said, there was/is no way that my ex would ever admit to any of this.

Jeremy F Kreuz said:
I read an article about passive aggressiveness and the description of the behavior struck me as very similar to mine. I then looked up some books on the topic, ordered and read them. This confirmed that I am most likely passive aggressive. This was a relief, as I know could but a name on my behavior which helped me to understand, to observe and to address my behavior.

I knew something as wrong with me, and I struggled a long time trying to define that.

So you realized that there was something amiss, that programs were pushing your buttons, and that you were re-acting rather than responding. You have no idea how much of a legend you are just for admitting this. :thup:

She has not yet accepted that I am passive agressive and has not read yet on the topic. this is probably an obstacle, but I cannot force to accept it or read about it.

As the saying goes, it does take 2 to tango, and no doubt, through her childhood set up, conditioning & programs, she was/is a willing participant to being treated this way. It's something I need to look into in myself.

I frequently look at my wife as if she is my mother. Especially in conflict I tend to regress to be a little boy in need and in rebellion to his mother.

My mother was very dominant...My mother would punish me often for not living up to expectations or wrong doings. At the age of eight I came home and was punished by the schoolteacher for talking in class – my mother doubled the punishment. That is the moment I remember to start hiding things from her. What good to tell if only more punishment is the result? She was very dominant I was afraid to confront her. So I dodged and lied and found excuses and did what I want to do by doing it in secret. My front was being the good son, good student, good behaving. But there was a rebel in me who hated that. There was a lot of build up aggression that could not be expressed.

I often saw the little boy in my ex, and I used to feel so sorry for him. Pity was the hook. You've talked about your childhood in your Disturbing Family weekend thread, and it's clear how your passive aggressive behaviors were set up. It was a survival mechanism really!

It's funny, my ex can't (or won't) remember his childhood. I know that his mother left when he was 11, to be with another woman, and all of this in a small town in the Aussie Outback (so you can image the horrideous (yup, I just made up a word!) town gossip, possibly even bullying). He was sent top a boarding school, and it was only much later on as an adult that he had anything to do with his mum. Despite this, he used to be fiercely protective of her, if I tried to suggest that there was baggage there and it needed resolving, then of course I was the one with the issue.

[quote author= Arwenn]
The man with passive aggressive behavior needs someone to be the object of his hidden hostility. He needs an adversary whose expectations and demands he can resist as he plays out the dance he learned from his parents. He chooses a woman who will agree to be on the receiving end of his disowned anger. He resists her in small ways setting up a pattern of frustration so that she gets to express the anger that he cannot.

Again spot on. I can make my wife so angry she explodes – like my mother did – which gives my internal voice all the reasons to resent her, to hate her – just like I did my mother. In other occasions other woman are the object of my hostility. In the beginning on this forum Laura was the object of my hostility. I lashed out once badly at her (the MMS story)
[/quote]

I realize now that the sabotage programs my ex was running was a deliberate attempt to get me to blow a fuse, he really wanted me to go off-it served a dual purpose of expressing his anger through me, and also proving to the world what a 'bad cop' I was.

I have made some progress. The most difficult period of the month is when my wife has her periods – it is a time we both still cannot handle properly.
How have I moved forward? I read quiet some books on the topic and related issues. I do the EE and the ketogenic diet, which help tremendously. Beside that we have made some career moves. The big frustration of my wife was that as mother of two children she did not have time and opportunities to develop her career. I tended (like my father) to work a lot and was due to the nature of my work often weeks not home. We decided to switch this around. My wife has now gone full time on her career and I took a half time job...
I continue to be as alert as possible towards my behavior, and try to catch me when I fall back. I try to live up to my promises (like answering your questions), try to not dodge responsibilities and when I feel something, to express it, when I want to be silent, to talk. But like I wrote, there is still a lot of build up agression and I am often afraid of it. What would happen if I did explode?

For all that you are doing, there still is much trapped anger, and fear of it -its all still there. I am sure you have considered that this could be perpetuated onto your children, by mirroring a similar family dynamic. Have you tried vibrational medicine like flower essences & homoeopathy or acupuncture for repressed anger, aggression etc? What I've found really therapeutic is to do a visualization or meditation, where you visit your inner child at the age that you sustained the hurt, and either use EE, EFT, talking or whatever works for you to help heal that inner child release the fear, aggression and the trauma. According to the Cs, EFT is just a method of holding attention and it was suggested it wouldn't be of any use with EE, but I've had some modest success with it)

Thank you fir taking the time to post & I wish you the very best in your journey.

HI all,

Please let me assure you that what is written on this page about APD (Aggressive Personality Disorder) does not limit to just men.

I am a female in her thirties who have read the statement regarding the intricate details of APD and have cried painfully; it is as if someone has psychoanalyzed me. I can not begin to express the feelings going through after reading about ME!! (but there again not surprising after reading the statement).

It has helped me some what to understand my actions / speech I spontaneously came out with (only today in fact!!) that never made sense, even makes me cringe at the event. Understanding what my partner has been saying for nearly four years about the 'poor me' syndrome and the 'sneaking around', 'pushing me away', 'using & abusing' comments. God bless my partner, even now after I have walked out, my partner is still there for me in every way possible. A true Angel xx

I truly must say though I never knew until today what the problem was or why things where happening including withdrawing from society, I used to say I was a loner!! However the explanation of APD's personal history has ticked every box for me. Passive father to keep the peace and an ineffective controlling mother who swept all the bad things under the carpet including emotional, physical, sexual and mental abuse by family and close friends... Is this another cover up excuse or the core problem to a depressive, sensitive behaviour that leaves a feel of needing to self-harm to escape the struggle?

Every where I have searched there are explanations to what the APD is and the unfortunate negative treatments partners and loved ones receive. There is very little support, guidance or advice for the APD sufferer (well; those who eventually identify it!!) i.e. support for ADHD, Bipolar or schizophrenia sufferers. I would be most grateful if there is this type information out there that can support the APD sufferer and indirectly support the partners / families.

Thank you

Jayo

Jayo said:
HI all,

Every where I have searched there are explanations to what the APD is and the unfortunate negative treatments partners and loved ones receive. There is very little support, guidance or advice for the APD sufferer (well; those who eventually identify it!!) i.e. support for ADHD, Bipolar or schizophrenia sufferers. I would be most grateful if there is this type information out there that can support the APD sufferer and indirectly support the partners / families.

Thank you

Jayo

Glad reading helped you Jayo. You may like to read the book "over coming passive agression" by Tim Murphy _http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Passive-Aggression-Spoiling-Relationships-Happiness/dp/1569243611
Welcome to the forum Jayo. we recommend new comers to introduce here

Thank you Arwenn for that powerful article and life example because giving a diagnosis like that really helped me. It served as an effective mirror to my own PAPD! It really does become so obvious after reading the article and the reponses to your post. Thank you to everyone else on the topic as well because the multiple perspectives shed alot light on the subject. It's inspiring to read about your recoveries!

ajseph 21 said:
Thank you Arwenn for that powerful article and life example because giving a diagnosis like that really helped me. It served as an effective mirror to my own PAPD! It really does become so obvious after reading the article and the reponses to your post. Thank you to everyone else on the topic as well because the multiple perspectives shed alot light on the subject. It's inspiring to read about your recoveries!

Like I posted earlier in the thread, my hats off to you for recognising that the problem is your behaviour. There is no way my ex would to this day, admit he has a problem. I haven't read the book recommended by seek10 "Overcoming Passive-Aggression: How to Stop Hidden Anger from Spoiling Your Relationships, Career and Happiness", it's on my book ever growing book list though :)

Jayo said:
HI all,

Please let me assure you that what is written on this page about APD (Aggressive Personality Disorder) does not limit to just men.

I am a female in her thirties who have read the statement regarding the intricate details of APD and have cried painfully; it is as if someone has psychoanalyzed me.
[-]

I truly must say though I never knew until today what the problem was or why things where happening including withdrawing from society, I used to say I was a loner!! However the explanation of APD's personal history has ticked every box for me. Passive father to keep the peace and an ineffective controlling mother who swept all the bad things under the carpet including emotional, physical, sexual and mental abuse by family and close friends... Is this another cover up excuse or the core problem to a depressive, sensitive behaviour that leaves a feel of needing to self-harm to escape the struggle?

Thank you

Jayo

Hi Jayo,

If you search on the web, there may be support groups in your area. There certainly are a few books on Amazon that deal with this topic (just see the similar recommended books listed on the same page at Amazon for Overcoming Passive-Aggression that was suggested by seek10). Kudos to you for recognizing the symptoms of this in yourself. Now the healing begins! :hug2:

From this website here _http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/200806/afraid-rage-the-origins-passive-aggressive-behavior, is ome worthwhile information on this topic, as well as recommended books.

Leon F. Seltzer said:
Afraid to Rage: The Origins of Passive-Aggressive Behavior

At one pole of communication stands passivity: not speaking out for fear of adverse consequences. At the other end stands aggressiveness: voicing negative sentiments without restraint or regard for their effect on others. In between passivity and aggression lies the golden mean: asserting one's thoughts and feelings, wants and needs, while at the same time showing appreciation and respect for the other's viewpoint.

Assertiveness, the ideal compromise between the extremes of passivity and aggression, is part of our natural endowment–our "universal personality," as it were. When we first come into the world, and even before we become verbal and can articulate what's going on inside us, we possess the rudimentary ability to communicate. Innately, we know how and when to smile, to yawn, to express surprise, anger or trepidation and, indeed, to convey a broad variety of emotional distress through crying–even wailing (as many a parent can woefully testify). We're not yet able to employ language to identify our particular frustrations, or consider the likely reactions of our caretakers, but we're unconstrained in letting our feelings be known.

The Problem

If we grew up, however, in a family that couldn't, or wouldn't, attach much value to our basic needs and wants, our natural impulse to assert ourselves became suppressed. If when we talked directly to our parents about our desires, we were derided as selfish, of thinking only of ourselves, we learned that it simply wasn't acceptable to want what we wanted, need what we needed. Similarly, when we repeatedly received the message that we were a burden (or "just another mouth to feed"), we learned that if we voiced our wishes we were endangering a parental bond already experienced as tenuous.

The same is true when we received the message that we were an inconvenience, or too demanding, or didn't deserve whatever it was we were requesting. And if our parents were outright angry with us, yelling at us whenever we straightforwardly expressed our wants, the very thought of continuing to voice them may have filled us with anxiety. Moreover, if we communicated our anger at their denial and their reaction to such assertiveness was scary or punishing, we would have learned to keep our anger strongly bolted inside, afraid to express that which would surely come back to haunt us.

We therefore may have felt required to cultivate a certain attitude of passivity and acquiesce to whatever lesser role our caretakers chose to assign us. After all, as children we all struggle in one way or another to experience our bond with our parents as secure. Any behavior felt to threaten this bond would need somehow to be eradicated. Of necessity, then, we'd have to renounce many of our basic wants and needs. How could this not be the case when we felt criticized, attacked, maybe even rejected almost every time we asserted ourselves? It would likely have seemed that we had no choice but to give up what we wanted–or maybe even teach ourselves not to want whatever regularly led to our parents' denial or disapproval.

But, of course, fundamental needs and wants–whether for comforting, encouragement, support, or some material item that might at least symbolize our importance to our parents–never really disappear. They simply go into hiding. Fearing the repercussions of making our needs known, we keep them tucked away, secret from those who might be disgruntled by our asserting them. While feeling compelled to censor their expression, however, we may nonetheless feel this deprivation keenly. But at least as frequently, we go from suppressing the expression of these needs to repressing them entirely. Because experiencing these wants and needs can itself get connected in our minds with parental disapproval or rejection, we may well feel obliged to obliterate even the awareness that they exist.

Passivity–or non-expressiveness–is the inevitable result. Tragically, we may forfeit all consciousness of our most basic needs just to avoid the anxiety linked to them. After all, when we're young, asserting anything that might threaten our dependency on our parents would, almost literally, feel hazardous to our survival. And as children we intuitively grasp our profound inability, independent of our caretakers, to care for ourselves. On our own, we would surely die. So we have no choice, if we are to secure this most vital connection, but to adapt to their preferences–and repress our own.

Yet our needs–however unattended to, and however unaware we may train ourselves to be of them–persist. And somewhere inside us there is anger that our parents do not love us enough to make these needs the priority they can't help but be for us. For nine months in the womb all our basic needs were addressed–automatically. How, then, could we not have entered the world with a certain sense of entitlement? So deep inside us we rage for that which we now feel deprived of. Although we may have repeatedly received the message that we didn't deserve whatever it was we longed for, somewhere inside us we felt we did deserve it.

The (Pseudo-) Solution

So how does this unrelenting frustration–and this inexpressible rage–get resolved? As children, how can we safely discharge these powerful feelings of being denied what our infant self must feel is its birthright–in a sense, as entitled to as mother's milk, made for its own nurturance?

Obviously, it's not safe to vent such rage directly. We'd be called selfish, bad, out of control. And we'd likely be yelled at, or even punished physically–another reminder that our bond with our parents was fragile and easily ruptured by any blunt expression of anger. It's only reasonable that we'd be afraid to overtly let our frustrations be known. For it's way too anxiety-producing to take what feels like our survival into our own hands, to offend those on whom we most depend.

And so–and all of this could be unconscious–we're emotionally desperate to find a viable way of letting out our frustrations, our hurt and indignation that our needs have been slighted or dismissed by those responsible for our care. Because it's impossible to annihilate our anger, the felt urgency to release it only gets stronger over time, even as we endeavor to suppress it. Periodically, we must find a way of alleviating this negative emotional build-up without causing serious damage to a relationship already perceived as precarious.

This is where the loss of personal integrity–in a word, lying–enters the picture. And we lie to ourselves, as well as to our parents. In essence, this is what passive-aggression is all about: "acting out" our grievances, behaviorally protesting what is experienced as unfair, while yet contriving to protect the relationship we really can't afford to jeopardize. Surreptitiously, we find ways to sabotage, undermine, deceive, betray. In a way, we retaliate against our caretakers by doing to them much of what we feel they've done to us. We disappoint, withhold, disengage, make up excuses, and blame others for our own mistakes and misbehaviors. In multiple ways we resist cooperating with our parents' directives. We deny what they need--but always with an explanation that (at least partially) gets us off the parental hook. "We just forgot," "we didn't mean to," "we really didn't understand what was asked of us," "we had no idea it'd turn out that way, "it was just an accident," "it really wasn't our fault," and on and on and on.

Beyond this–unless our passive-aggression is a lot more passive than aggressive–we manipulate. Oh, how we manipulate! Like con-artists in training, we look for all the possible ways to address our needs and desires without coming out and requesting them directly. We become masters of indirection and subterfuge. Feeling so powerless in our relationship with our parents, we attempt to "grab" this power passive-aggressively. We might, for instance, sneak money from our father's wallet to buy the school lunch we wanted, tossing into the garbage the dried-out baloney sandwich our mother prepared for us earlier .

At some point we may have to pay a price for our various "accidental" errors and misdeeds. But if we've covered our tracks reasonably well, our parents can't be entirely sure just what happened, or what our actual motives were. So any punishment we receive is likely to be substantially less than had we been honest in the first place.

In effect, our parents–in their inability, or unwillingness, to adequately take care of our dependency needs–unwittingly taught us to become manipulators and liars. Had we, alternatively, learned from them that being assertive and direct would more effectively address our needs, it's likely we would not have devised such an unhealthy arsenal of devious tactics. Additionally, if our self-interested machinations were clever enough (or unconscious enough), we may end up fooling ourselves just as much as we fooled them. In this case, we never have to acknowledge our vindictive motives of rebellion or retaliation. For having to acknowledge such acting out of our frustrations and resentments might cause us to become more anxious (and possibly guilty as well).

Present-Day Defenses--and the Challenges We Face

By way of qualification, I'd like to emphasize that what I've been describing is to some degree exaggerated. I've wanted to illuminate what I see as a universal personality phenomenon–that is, I think all of us, in various ways, display certain passive-aggressive tendencies. In addition, only rarely are parents so unsupportive and withholding that we end up as adults with full-blown passive-aggressive personality disorders. Still, I believe it's useful to suggest that many of the barriers that prevent so many of us from taking full responsibility for our behavior, as well as from communicating our needs and wants directly, derive from old (and no longer appropriate) childhood "survival programs."

If, for instance, we became at some point hyper-sensitive to our parents' negative evaluations, we're likely as adults to want to blame others for problems that may be primarily of our own doing. In this way, we circumvent the criticism we might otherwise receive–and the associated anxiety such blame might re-awaken in us.

Our avoidant tendencies, too, may have originated from our past when we learned to do whatever was necessary to avert conflict. Dependent as we were on our parents, it may have felt too dangerous to risk antagonizing them. So to keep our anxiety manageable, we endeavored to minimize angry confrontations. Given our parents' unreliability in meeting our needs, we probably didn't want to depend on them at all. But since we had to, we also had to restrain ourselves in our dealings with them. And so--again as adults–we may reveal a self-defeating tendency to avoid any problematic discussion that, to us, might become distressingly contentious.

Whatever passive-aggressive traits we may have are strikingly akin to what is known in psychology as hostile dependency–and both terms are similarly oxymoronic. Since we could never trust that our parents would respond positively to our needs, now grown up we're still not comfortable being in situations of dependency. But if, nonetheless, we're saddled with unmet dependency needs from the past, we inevitably bring these needs–as well as our ambivalence about these needs–to all our close relationships. So if we give mixed messages to those we're involved with (ultimately leaving them hurt, confused, or even outraged by our hostile-dependent reactions to them), it's because we've never resolved our internal conflict about being dependent in the first place.

It's important to realize that passive-aggression is not necessarily less aggressive simply because it's passive. Essentially, passive-aggression is an indirect form of aggression–not necessarily a milder form of aggression. Consequently, even as our unmet dependency needs from childhood may compel us toward relationships that offer us the hope of being comfortably dependent on another, our un-discharged anger toward our parents (who frustrated these needs initially) may prompt us to dump these still unresolved feelings on anyone who might actually be disposed to care for us. But whether or not we're empathic enough to be aware of it, being late for a date (or breaking it at the last minute) with some lame excuse can still be extremely hurtful to another–as can a sarcastic remark thinly masked as an attempt at humor. In both instances, we might claim innocent intent, but we've nonetheless managed to draw blood. And finally our innocence must be seen as questionable.

Assuming we're willing to take responsibility for whatever predisposition we may have toward passive-aggressive behavior, we need to make peace with whatever we felt deprived of when we were growing up. We need to find ways (with or without professional intervention) to release and resolve old anger and resentment. We need to finally accept that our parents, given their own particular resources and limitations, gave us as much as they could. And we need to recognize that in our lives as adults we can't continue to punish others for what they failed to give us. We need to solicit, and carefully attend to, feedback from those who've reached out to us–and, indirectly, been rebuffed in return. And we need to locate, confront and overcome the deep-seated anxiety that created our tremendous ambivalence about close relationships in the first place.

If, finally, we are to evolve into better, more compassionate human beings, we need to develop for others precisely the empathy and understanding we ourselves never received in growing up.

Useful books on the subject include: Overcoming Passive-Aggression; Living with the Passive-Aggressive Man; and Passive-Aggression: A Guide for the Therapist, the Patient and the Victim

© 2008 Leon F. Seltzer, Ph.D. All Rights Reserved.

Some suggested ways to help tame your passive aggression from the psychologytoday website, link is here
_http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200603/tame-your-passive-aggression

Carlin Flora said:
Tame Your Passive-Aggression

Learn your Style: Soap Opera Villain or Unwitting Victim?
If you're a passive-aggressor who knows just what you're doing, you can resolve to change your patterns. If you're unaware of your behavior, on the other hand, you'll likely resist the idea that you're harboring anger. You must practice expressing your emotions, which could be tricky if you've chosen a partner who is particularly uncomfortable with rage—someone who reinforces your deep-seated belief that anger is not acceptable.

Get Over the Need to Please
Practice asserting your true wants and needs. Remember that it is okay to say no to requests, though you may vex others. "You need to stop pleasing other people," says Engel. "Act more from the point of view of what you want to do, instead of what you don't want to do." If you're passive-aggressive, you are often primarily motivated to placate others and avoid conflict, rather than going for what you want.

Tune Into Your Anger
Pay close attention to situations that trigger anger, says Murphy. Acrimony could stem from loneliness, jealousy, sadness or embarrassment. "When you're upset about something, stop playing revenge scenarios in your head. Instead, imagine and then rehearse a more positive way of dealing with the situation head-on."

Fight Fair
Tirades and outbursts don't squelch anger any more than ignoring it does. Resolve your discontent instead by examining the often irrational beliefs that underlie your reactions, such as an assumption that things must always go your way.

When you're in open conflict with another person, focus on articulating your thoughts and understanding his point of view, and not exclusively on winning. Says Murphy, "That works in the Super Bowl, but not in a marriage or at work."

Many thanks to Arwenn for this thread. I've been following this thread for a while now & slowly digesting it. Very powerful & timely, the hard work of positive change can really begin. And a big thanks to all the contributors with their comments & links.

I just came across this test for determining just where one is along the passive-assertive-aggressive scale, after looking at the How Machiavellian are you thread. Not sure how accurate it is, but might be worth a look.

FWIW :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom