Marine mystery - Out of Place Beachings... Strange

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/states/new_jersey/15369361.htm?source=rss&channel=inquirer_new_jersey

Biologists aren't sure why so many mammals have beached on the Atlantic shoreline in places opposite where they should be found.

By Jacqueline L. Urgo
Inquirer Staff Writer

BRIGANTINE, N.J. - Call it a version of the Peaceable Kingdom gone awry.

Biologists say it is a mystery as to exactly why dozens of marine mammals, some sick and starving, have beached along the mid-Atlantic shoreline this summer in areas opposite where they would normally be found.

Among the latest finds are five hooded seals, all pups about 6 months old that were brought to the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine over the course of the last three weeks. Three were found on New Jersey beaches, one in North Carolina, and one in Virginia.

One emaciated seal was found eating sand. Another, with its protective slick fur almost completely molted, was found parched after its sensitive skin was exposed to the harmful rays of the sun. Yet another, the only female brought in, has been isolated from the others because it may be suffering from a parasitic infection.

The Marine Mammal Stranding Center rarely sees hooded seals, since they are primarily an arctic species, and the center has never rescued any during the summer months, founding director Bob Schoelkopf said.

All summer long, northern bottlenose whales, their usual range in the deep waters of the North Atlantic, have been beaching up and down the East Coast, Schoelkopf said.

Strangest of all may be a manatee, a species usually found in the warm tropical waters off Florida, that was first spotted two weeks ago in the Hudson River in New York. The large creature is apparently now cruising the New England states, having last been seen swimming off Falmouth, Mass., and North Kingstown, R.I.

Cathy A. Beck, a wildlife biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Gainesville, Fla., said it was the northernmost sighting of a manatee ever documented.

Wayward manatee aside, Schoelkopf said his center's main focus now is saving the five baby seals and trying to figure out an ecosystem turned upside down.

"We've never had this rate of strandings in the summer months, and we really have no definitive idea why it's happening," Schoelkopf said. "And why these animals are turning up in all these strange places. It's truly a mystery."

But there are theories.

Whales, dolphins, and other species use sound signals to mate, hunt and communicate with one another.

Some research, conducted by scientists at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts and Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California San Diego, suggests that underwater noise levels generated by the military and from an expanding global shipping trade could be adversely affecting marine life.

Some scientists contend that long-range sonar testing conducted by the Navy off the East Coast may be creating too noisy of an underwater environment, one with unknown effects on marine life, according to Michelle Duval, a senior scientist with Environmental Defense, a nonprofit Washington-based environmental advocacy group.

At a recent hearing sponsored by the North Carolina Coastal Federation, Duval testified against establishing a 500-square-mile sonar range in the Atlantic Ocean 47 miles off Camp Lejeune on the North Carolina coast.

"We're very concerned about this because we think the research is clear that sonar testing can have an adverse impact on the marine environment," Duval said. "As it stands now, the Navy is required to give no warning when these tests are conducted and is not required to take into consideration migration patterns of any species when it conducts these tests."

Navy officials say the studies do not prove that sonar has any long-term effects in marine mammals.

In the meantime, the increase in summertime emergencies has strained conditions at the Brigantine center, one of only a half-dozen such facilities on the East Coast licensed by the federal government to aid stranded marine mammals.

The five seals each day ingest 50 pounds of capelin, a type of smelt found only in northern seas. The center can buy the fish only once a year, in July, and has already used much of the supply it purchased last month and froze to get it through the winter months, a usually busy harbor-seal rescue time.

Schoelkopf estimates that the care will ultimately cost the Marine Mammal Stranding Center about $1,500 per seal.

If they make it, the five seals will be transported by Schoelkopf to Maine, where they will be released into the North Atlantic.

After a milestone was reached this summer of more than 3,000 rescues since the center opened in 1977, and a recovery rate at around 80 percent, Schoelkopf is optimistic about the prognosis of the five seals.
Contact staff writer Jacqueline L. Urgo at 609-823-9629 or jurgo@phillynews.com.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_objectid=17630074&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=tuna-fish-washed-up-on-welsh-beach-name_page.html

Tuna fish washed up on Welsh beach

Aug 26 2006

Molly Watson, Western Mail

EXPERTS were last night trying to discover how a sub-tropical fish ended up on a Welsh beach, providing new evidence of climate change.

In a year where sharks and dolphins have been spotted off the coasts of Wales and giant ocean sunfish seen near Land's End, Welsh waters gained a new marine visitor - a rare yellowfin tuna.

Friends Declan Lapham, 15, and Dai Booth, 14, discovered the 5ft-long 60lb fish washed up at Bury Port on Thursday afternoon.

Dai said, "We were just going down to the beach to fish when we saw something sticking out of the water.

"We pulled it out and it was the biggest fish we'd ever seen. We were shocked to see something like that in Wales.

"It took three of us to carry it up to the fishing shop."

It's thought it is only the second yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) to be found in Wales - one was washed ashore in North Wales in 1972.

The fish are usually found in the balmy waters off the coast of Sri Lanka and Australia and are revered by sushi and sashimi chefs the world over.

Debora Rees, managing director of Swansea Fish, who stored the fish overnight, said, "Initially I didn't think it was a yellowfin tuna - I thought it was just a normal tuna, which is rare in itself for Wales, although not impossible for Cornwall.

"But when we looked at it, it was definitely a yellowfin and I was shocked. What's happening to our waters?

"This is a new species for our waters - dolphins and sharks have always been around, although scarce, but this is incredible, very unusual."

Yellowfin tuna are prized for their meat and can fetch around

It's not only marine life that's out of place. Where I live-in mid-Southern Saskatchewan-about 90 miles north of the international border- bear, cougar, elk, moose, bald eagle, raven sightings are now a common everyday occurence. When I left this area in 1968 the only large wildlife inhabiting this area was white-tail deer.
Interesting subject.

Having just re-read the article on the Signs page about new research turning up more evidence of warming Arctic waters, I was thinking that this may have something to do with the increase in reports of tropical fish, whale and dolphin species being found of the west coast of the UK, and as far north as north western Scotland (my place of birth).

I have heard from sites such as Terradaily that the Thermohaline ciculation of the Gulf Stream and North Atlantic Drift which brings warm weather to Europe has declined (according to reports) by as much as 80%. However I'm now beggining to wonder if this circulation is occuring in spots which are not being monitored for thermohaline circulation, due to the warmer ocean temperatures in the Northern latitudes. My scientific knowledge of how ocean currents work isn't great, but with reports of a seemingly large migration of species from southern latitudes up into more northern points, I can't help but wonder why?

Here's another story I caught a while back on the BBC relating to a deep Atlantic species of Oarfish being caught of Teeside (North Eastern England). This is the third news report on Oarfish catches in northen parts of the Uk I have seen now in the last 3-4 years, and thats not including the other types of tropical fish in the news I have seen reported caught in our now balmy UK waters.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2787785.stm

A female angler from Teesside caught more than she bargained for when she went fishing for mackerel, and landed a huge rare species of deep sea fish.
Val Fletcher, 40, caught the 11ft 7in-long oarfish monster with a standard rod while night fishing with partner Robert Herrings.

The angler, who is 5ft 4in, and weighs eight stone, took 40 minutes to land the fish, which usually prefers lurking deep in the Atlantic.

Ms Fletcher, of Marine Terrace, Skinningrove, said: "It was a real struggle to get it in, and then when we did nobody knew what it was - it looked prehistoric.

"Nobody in the village could identify it. We tied it to a scaffold plank and it was outside my house for two days while people came to have a look at it."

The oarfish, or Regalecus glesne (king of herrings), is the ancient mariner's legendary sea fish.

'A remarkable catch'

They are the longest bony fish in the sea and have a mane-like crest behind a toothless mouth. They can grow up to 30 feet in length and weigh up to a quarter of a ton.

Bemused biologists have no idea why the deep water creature, usually found in the Mediterranean and eastern Atlantic, was living in the relatively shallow North Sea.

The last one seen in the UK was found in 1981 on a beach at Whitby, North Yorkshire.

Marine expert David Whittaker said: "It is a very remarkable catch, and anyone who finds one should really keep it intact."

The fish, however, has already been cut up into pieces.
Here are some more reports I have seen.
Boy Struck By Giant Sunfish of Pembrokeshire Coast (it lept into a fishing vessel?)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4192566.stm

Summer sun brings sunfish shoal
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cornwall/5212392.stm

Group of up to 2,000 Dolphins Baffle experts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4150502.stm

Sunfich and short-snouted seahorse confirm changing climate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/163423.stm

Also if the thermohaline circulation is bottoming out as the reports Ive read have stated, then I would expect to see somewhat of a decrease in the temperatures of the northern waters, but as yet the water seems to be getting warmer and warmer in more northern latitudes. Very interesting.

Stranded pilot whales, out of 27 three are saved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mja-JES7Ig

Published on May 16, 2016
Twenty-seven pilot whales were found in shallow waters near the shores of Baja California, Mexico. According to a Mexican Navy statement, soldiers, environmental ministry agents and local fishermen helped its personnel to save the animals. However, the whales seemed disoriented, and some of them returned to the shore even after being directed to deeper waters.

It seems they can't stay in the water, due to some deep changes in that environment. I wonder where shall we go?

Laura said:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/states/new_jersey/15369361.htm?source=rss&channel=inquirer_new_jersey

[...]

Some research, conducted by scientists at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts and Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California San Diego, suggests that underwater noise levels generated by the military and from an expanding global shipping trade could be adversely affecting marine life.

[...]

Cell Phone Towers, Wi-Fi and all other sundry EM waves blasting at us right now, every day inside the fence here. This is what comes to my mind.

The title of this thread seems appropriate for the article!

Apparently something washed up on a beach in Wales - maybe a whale, according to the comments a porpoise carcass (though it does look really big, they say 11ft with apparently porpoise around 7ft), and other comments say it has been burned. Though speculation asks how it got so far inland, and i wonder why the BBC and Press TV who featured it, as well as Wales Online, couldn't find an expert to comment - i don't know myself.

Also posted is a press tv video which references the above, as well as something similarly unidentified on a beach in Mexico. Even if it is mundane, it's interesting the press they're getting, which may point to an upsurge overall or just people picking up on the weird occurances at the moment.

The remains of a sea creature have washed up on a Welsh beach

10:44, 17 May 2016
Updated 22:38, 17 May 2016
By Wales News

The skeleton was found by a couple out walking with their dog on the beach - now people want to know what it is

1027 shares 10 comments

The couple who found it said they had never found anything this big on the beach
beach-3.jpg

Mystery surrounds the remains of what looks like some sort of sea monster that has washed up on a beach.

Beach-goers have been left baffled after the 11ft long carcass was discovered on Port Talbot's Morfa Beach.

It was first discovered by a couple out walking their dog, but no-one has so far identified what it is.

Beach-goers were left baffled when they found a mystery monster washed up on the seashore
beach.jpg

Melanie Rees, 41, said she and husband, Mike, 47, are used to seeing jellyfish and other small creatures washed up on the sand - but never anything this big.

The mother of two originally thought the huge remains was a piece of driftwood but realised it must have been an animal because she could see 'thousands of flies'.

She has speculated that the mystery creature could have been a whale, and even joked that someone suggested it might have been the remains of a dinosaur.

The large creature's carcass was stumbled upon by a couple walking their dog but no one has been able to identify what it once was

Mrs Rees, from Port Talbot, said: "I couldn't believe how big it was. At first I thought it was a piece of driftwood or a big log as it was so far off the beach.
beach-2.jpg

"But when we got closer, I could see thousands of flies and I knew it had been an animal.

It looked like driftwood at first

"I think it could be a whale, but I'm not sure. I don't think a whale would wash up that far."

She said despite uploading photos of the beast onto social media, no one has been able to help identify her find.

Despite uploading lots of pictures, no-one has been able to explain what it is
beach-4.jpg

Mrs Rees added: "People on Facebook have been hilarious. One has even said it could be a dinosaur, but I'm not so sure."
beach-5.jpg

Melanie with the washed up creature

beach-6.jpg

Remains of huge creature found in Wales

PressTV News Videos

Published on May 18, 2016

https://youtu.be/TjLMLZQfrTU
The remains of a huge dinosaur-like creature washed up on a beach in Wales have left visitors baffled about the huge beast. The creature, which is over three and a half meters long, was discovered in Port Talbot in South Wales. So far, researchers haven't been able to identify it. Earlier this week, another four-meter-long sea monster was found after it was washed up on a tourist beach in Mexico. Scientists are still trying to figure out what the creatures are.

The skull of a colossal sea monster has been extracted from the cliffs of Dorset's Jurassic Coast.
It belongs to a pliosaur, a ferocious marine reptile that terrorised the oceans about 150 million years ago.

The 2m-long fossil is one of the most complete specimens of its type ever discovered and is giving new insights into this ancient predator.

The skull will be featured in a special David Attenborough program on BBC One on New Year's Day.
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06-26-16 Pliosaur discovery Huge sea monster emerges from Dorset cliffs.png

"Oh wow!"
There are gasps as the sheet covering the fossil is pulled back and the skull is revealed for the first time.

It's immediately obvious that this pliosaur is huge and beautifully preserved.

There isn't a specimen anywhere else to match it, believes local palaeontologist Steve Etches.

"It's one of the best fossils I've ever worked on. What makes it unique is it's complete," he tells BBC News.

"The lower jaw and the upper skull are meshed together, as they would be in life. Worldwide, there's hardly any specimens ever found to that level of detail. And if they are, a lot of the bits are missing, whereas this, although it's slightly distorted - it's got every bone present.

Sir David and Steve Etches

Steve Etches shows Sir David Attenborough the snout - the first piece to be found

The skull is longer than most humans are tall, which gives you a sense of how big the creature must have been overall.
You can't help but focus on its 130 teeth, especially those at the front.

Long and razor-sharp, they could kill with a single bite. But look a little closer - if you dare - and the back of each tooth is marked with fine ridges. These would have helped the beast to pierce the flesh and then quickly extract its dagger-like fangs, ready for a rapid second attack.

Tooth

Experiments show the grooves really do aid incision and withdrawal.

The pliosaur was the ultimate killing machine and at 10-12m long, with four powerful flipper-like limbs to propel itself at high speed, it was the apex predator in the ocean.

"The animal would have been so massive that I think it would have been able to prey effectively on anything that was unfortunate enough to be in its space," says Dr Andre Rowe from Bristol University.

"I have no doubt that this was sort of like an underwater T. rex."
Bite force comparison

Meals would have included other reptiles such as its long-necked cousin, the plesiosaur, and the dolphin-like ichthyosaur - and fossil evidence reveals that it would have even feasted on other passing pliosaurs.

How this fossil skull was recovered is extraordinary.

It started with a chance find during a stroll along a beach near Kimmeridge Bay on southern England's famous World Heritage Jurassic Coast.

Steve Etches' friend and fellow fossil enthusiast Phil Jacobs came across the tip of the snout of the pliosaur lying in the shingle. Too heavy to carry, he went to fetch Steve, and the pair rigged a makeshift stretcher to take the fossil fragment to safety.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06-33-46 Pliosaur discovery Huge sea monster emerges from Dorset cliffs.png
But where was the rest of the animal? A drone survey of the towering cliff face pinpointed a likely location. The problem was the only way to excavate it was to abseil down from the top.

Removing fossils from rock is always painstaking, delicate work. But to do this while dangling on ropes from a crumbling cliff, 15m above a beach, requires another order of skill.

The courage, dedication, and the months spent cleaning up the skull, have certainly been worth it. Scientists from across the globe will be clamouring to visit the Dorset fossil to gain fresh insights into how these amazing reptiles lived and dominated their ecosystem.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06-37-51 Pliosaur discovery Huge sea monster emerges from Dorset cliffs.png
Palaeobiologist Prof Emily Rayfield has already examined the large circular openings at the rear of the head. They tell her about the size of the muscles operating the jaws of the pliosaur, and the forces generated as its mouth snapped shut and crushed its prey.

At the top end, this comes out at about 33,000 newtons. For context, the most powerful jaws in living animals are found on saltwater crocodiles, at 16,000 newtons.

"If you can generate a really powerful bite, you can incapacitate your prey; it's less likely to get away. A powerful bite means you're also able to crunch through tissue and bone quite effectively," the Bristol researcher explained.

"As for feeding strategies: crocodiles clamp their jaw shut around something and then twist, to maybe twist a limb off their prey. This is characteristic of animals that have expanded heads at the back, and we see this in the pliosaur."

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06-38-59 Pliosaur discovery Huge sea monster emerges from Dorset cliffs.png

This newly discovered specimen has features that suggest it had some particularly acute, and very useful, senses.

Its snout is dotted with small pits that may have been the site of glands to help it detect changes in water pressure made by prospective prey. And on its head is a hole that would have housed a parietal, or third, eye. Lizards, frogs and some fish alive today have one of these. It's light-sensitive and might have helped in locating other animals, especially when the pliosaur was surfacing from deep, murky waters.

Steve Etches will put the skull on display next year at his museum in Kimmeridge - the Etches Collection.

It has some vertebrae poking out at the back of the head but trailing off after just a few bones. They are a tantalising clue that more of the fossil might still be in the cliff. Steve is keen to finish what he started.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06-51-35 Pliosaur discovery Huge sea monster emerges from Dorset cliffs.png
"I stake my life the rest of the animal is there," he tells BBC News.

"And it really should come out because it's in a very rapidly eroding environment. This part of the cliff line is going back by feet a year. And it won't be very long before the rest of the pliosaur drops out and gets lost. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity."

Additional reporting by Rebecca Morelle and Tony Jolliffe
Attenborough and the Giant Sea Monster will air on BBC One and iPlayer at 20:00 on 1 January - a BBC Studios Natural History Unit production for the BBC and PBS with The WNET Group.

Comment: What does this indicate from the top to the middle of the cliffside

1702274534913.png

Attachments

• 1702272670564.webp
    28 KB · Views: 4
  • 1702274228984.webp
    94.1 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom