Melatonin

s-kur said:
Hi , friends!
I have question:whether caused in somebody melatonin headaches in a frontal lobe? pressing feeling after a dream, for example.
i'm take an 3 mg pills with B-6(Pyridoxine HCL) from Now Foods, and sometimes i have those effect, in case less than 5 hours sleep
gluten-sugar-hi-carbs free diet/
Also, five years ago to me made the diagnosis fronthit(фронтит), an inflammation of frontal bosoms which as a result pressed on a skull/brain? it was cured by means of 2 week courses of antibiotics...
these pains, after reception, are a little similar to what I had during that disease.
Pains from melatonin (or can be not from it) vanish after 3-4 hours of wakefulness.

Hello s-kur. How is your diet? Have you bean through the diet and health section of the forum? specifically http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.0.html and the other highlighted threads.

davey72 said:
s-kur said:
Hi , friends!
I have question:whether caused in somebody melatonin headaches in a frontal lobe? pressing feeling after a dream, for example.
i'm take an 3 mg pills with B-6(Pyridoxine HCL) from Now Foods, and sometimes i have those effect, in case less than 5 hours sleep
gluten-sugar-hi-carbs free diet/
Also, five years ago to me made the diagnosis fronthit(фронтит), an inflammation of frontal bosoms which as a result pressed on a skull/brain? it was cured by means of 2 week courses of antibiotics...
these pains, after reception, are a little similar to what I had during that disease.
Pains from melatonin (or can be not from it) vanish after 3-4 hours of wakefulness.

Hello s-kur. How is your diet? Have you bean through the diet and health section of the forum? specifically http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.0.html and the other highlighted threads.

I adhere to a paleo-diet,
standard breakfast: eggs with bacon, ham or squid.
Dinner:fish cutlets (from custom-made dinners)
Evening:brown rice(or without) with meat or eggs, also i like add cheese.
gluten is excluded in 98%, very seldom I am able to afford a small piece of black bread, but on a gluten at me reaction in the form of an inflammation in a nasopharynx (as the first symptoms of cold). Shugars are excluded as. From vegetables can be only potatoes and carrots.
Also i'd take supplements:
morning:Cal-Mag citrate(Throne Research)+Vit. C as Calcium Ascorbate(Now Foods)+Aloe Vera concentrate(NF) mixed in water
B-100 complex(NF)
Multicomplex "Adam" (NF)
ALA(Jarrow Formulas)
GABA(NF)
Chlorella(NF)
Folic Acid(NF)
Omega-3(NF)
Flax Sees Oil
Evening:
Flax Seed Oil
Multicomplex "Adam" (NF)
ALA(Jarrow Formulas)
GABA(NF)
Omega-3(NF)
Detox Support(NF)
Niacin(NF) now i'm take 1500 mg (started from 500 3 month ago)

Really, perhaps any of components reacts with melatonin and I gain such effect?
But without melatonin a hav't those effects .
or perhaps this residual effect of melatonin and because of small (4-5 hours) quantities of a dream?

s-kur said:
or perhaps this residual effect of melatonin and because of small (4-5 hours) quantities of a dream?

I assume that maybe that's why. I also have pains in the frontal region of the head for this reason, lack of sleep creates a tension there

Lumiere_du_Code said:
s-kur said:

I assume that maybe that's why. I also have pains in the frontal region of the head for this reason, lack of sleep creates a tension there

ok, today i'll research it,I will go to bed a bit earlier.

BTW, whether the effect by electrical equipment as laser printers, for example can be caused? I am
directly in 1-2 meters from three constantly working units during the working day

Actually in Germany melatonin is prohibited. Disclaimer from iHerb:

As a general rule, we recommend that you don't order hormone-type (DHEA, melatonin, etc.) supplements.
iHerb will not be able to refund your account if your order is held or rejected by customs in Germany.

From http://www1.zoll.de/:

Concerning the importation you should be aware that products which are sold freely in other countries may also come under the purview of the German Medicines Act. This could be vitamins in highly measured doses or so called supplementary means of food or naturopathic cures such as Chinese medicinal plants or products containing melatonin.

I'll try http://www.biovea.com/

Greets Altair

davey72 said:
Just curious s-kur if you were able to do an elimination diet?
Good thought, I will check eggs and butter, there is a lot of them in my diet, every day.

Indian J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan;62(1):12-5. doi: 10.4103/0301-4738.126166.
Effects of melatonin on Wi-Fi-induced oxidative stress in lens of rats.
Tök L, Nazıroğlu M, Doğan S, Kahya MC, Tök O.
Author information
Abstract

Introduction: Melatonin has been considered a potent antioxidant that detoxifies a variety of reactive oxygen species in many pathophysiological states of eye. The present study was designed to determine the effects of Wi-Fi exposure on the lens oxidant, antioxidant redox systems, as well as the possible protective effects of melatonin on the lens injury induced by electromagnetic radiation (EMR). Materials and Methods: Thirty-two rats were used in the current study and they were randomly divided into four equal groups as follows: First and second groups were cage-control and sham-control rats. Rats in third group were exposed to Wi-Fi (2.45 GHz) for duration of 60 min/day for 30 days. As in the third group, the fourth group was treated with melatonin. The one-hour exposure to irradiation in second, third and fourth took place at noon each day. Results: Lipid peroxidation levels in the lens were slightly higher in third (Wi-Fi) group than in cage and sham control groups although their concentrations were significantly (P < 0.05) decreased by melatonin supplementation. Glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) activity was significantly (P < 0.05) lower in Wi-Fi group than in cage and sham control groups although GSH-Px (P < 0.01) and reduced glutathione (P < 0.05) values were significantly higher in Wi-Fi + melatonin group than in Wi-Fi group. Conclusions: There are poor oxidative toxic effects of one hour of Wi-Fi exposure on the lens in the animals. However, melatonin supplementation in the lens seems to have protective effects on the oxidant system by modulation of GSH-Px activity.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24492496

J Pineal Res. 2014 Feb 6. doi: 10.1111/jpi.12123. [Epub ahead of print]
Melatonin Alleviates Echis carinatus Venom-induced Toxicities by Modulating Inflammatory Mediators and Oxidative Stress.
Katkar GD, Sundaram MS, Hemshekhar M, Sharma RD, Sebastin Santhosh M, Sunitha K, Rangappa KS, Girish KS, Kemparaju K.
Author information
Abstract

Viper bites cause high morbidity and mortality worldwide and regarded as a neglected tropical disease affecting a large healthy population. Classical antivenin therapy has appreciably reduced the snakebite mortality rate, it apparently fails to tackle viper venom-induced local manifestations that persist even after the administration of anti-venoms. Recently, viper venom-induced oxidative stress and vital organ damage is deemed as yet another reason for concern; these are considered as post-medicated complications of viper bite. Thus, treating viper bite has become a challenge demanding new treatment strategies, auxiliary to antivenin therapy. In the last decade, several studies have reported the use of plant products and clinically approved drugs to neutralize venom-induced pharmacology. However, very few attempts were undertaken to study oxidative stress and vital organ damage. Based on this background, the present study evaluated the protective efficacy of melatonin in Echis carinatus (EC) venom-induced tissue necrosis, oxidative stress and organ toxicity. The results demonstrated that melatonin efficiently alleviated EC venom-induced hemorrhage and myonecrosis. It also mitigated the altered levels of inflammatory mediators and oxidative stress markers of blood components and in liver and kidney homogenates, documented renal and hepatoprotective action of melatonin. The histopathology of skin, muscle, liver and kidney tissues further substantiated the overall protection offered by melatonin against viper bite toxicities. The inability of anti-venoms to block local effects and the fact that melatonin is already a widely used drug promulgating a multitude of therapeutic functionalities, its use in viper bite management is of high interest and should be seriously considered.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24499241

Medulin said:
Indian J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan;62(1):12-5. doi: 10.4103/0301-4738.126166.
Effects of melatonin on Wi-Fi-induced oxidative stress in lens of rats.
Tök L, Nazıroğlu M, Doğan S, Kahya MC, Tök O.
Author information
Abstract

Introduction: Melatonin has been considered a potent antioxidant that detoxifies a variety of reactive oxygen species in many pathophysiological states of eye. The present study was designed to determine the effects of Wi-Fi exposure on the lens oxidant, antioxidant redox systems, as well as the possible protective effects of melatonin on the lens injury induced by electromagnetic radiation (EMR). Materials and Methods: Thirty-two rats were used in the current study and they were randomly divided into four equal groups as follows: First and second groups were cage-control and sham-control rats. Rats in third group were exposed to Wi-Fi (2.45 GHz) for duration of 60 min/day for 30 days. As in the third group, the fourth group was treated with melatonin. The one-hour exposure to irradiation in second, third and fourth took place at noon each day. Results: Lipid peroxidation levels in the lens were slightly higher in third (Wi-Fi) group than in cage and sham control groups although their concentrations were significantly (P < 0.05) decreased by melatonin supplementation. Glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) activity was significantly (P < 0.05) lower in Wi-Fi group than in cage and sham control groups although GSH-Px (P < 0.01) and reduced glutathione (P < 0.05) values were significantly higher in Wi-Fi + melatonin group than in Wi-Fi group. Conclusions: There are poor oxidative toxic effects of one hour of Wi-Fi exposure on the lens in the animals. However, melatonin supplementation in the lens seems to have protective effects on the oxidant system by modulation of GSH-Px activity.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24492496

As i realize, supplement of melatonin influences not only sight, and as processes of deterioration of the health, connected with a stress, toxins and the other things worsening health...
Tnanks for this link, Medulin

I got the book ''Melatonin and Melatonergic Drugs in Clinical Practice'' (Springer). It is really, really good,

9788132208242.jpg

although you may find everything (and ever more) on Pubmed:
_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=melatonin

(It may be too technical for some of you,
but I enjoy reading everything on melatonin,
as expected, since I'm a medical doctor).

6mg is quite a huge amount for most individuals.

I take 1mg and have never required any more. If you experience tired a lengthy time the next day, you are getting too much, IMO.

Young individuals (teens and twenties) probably don't need any as your whole body creates its own. That's why youngsters can rest for 13 time like records.

Hi celliluis, welcome to the forum. We suggest that new members post a little bit about themselves in the Newbies board. Nothing personal needs to be said, just about yourself and how you found the forum. If you are not sure what to write, you can look at what others have posted on the board.

I came across this tweet from
@CaloriesProper May 11

Having a few drinks tonight? Don't forget your blue blockers! "Melatonin inhibits alcohol-induced [leaky gut]..."
it's just a shame i don't binge drink anymore to test it out (really). The findings could be of interest for everybody with gut issues (so everybody).

I understand that 'Therapeutic levels' of melatonin for it's apparent anti-oxidants effect are much higher than the dose we take at night, like 15g??, but i wonder whether we may be giving our digestive tract a boost.

It seems that melatonin has a great many benefits, and that goes some way to explaining why it's not available over the counter in the UK and even my GP preferred i take SSRI's! (i didn't). My doctor friend said it was 'cost related' :evil:

Melatonin inhibits alcohol-induced increases in duodenal mucosal permeability in rats in vivo.
Sommansson A1, Saudi WS, Nylander O, Sjöblom M.
Author information
Abstract

Increased intestinal permeability is often associated with epithelial inflammation, leaky gut, or other pathological conditions in the gastrointestinal tract. We recently found that melatonin decreases basal duodenal mucosal permeability, suggesting a mucosal protective mode of action of this agent. The aim of the present study was to elucidate the effects of melatonin on ethanol-, wine-, and HCl-induced changes of duodenal mucosal paracellular permeability and motility. Rats were anesthetized with thiobarbiturate and a ~30-mm segment of the proximal duodenum was perfused in situ. Effects on duodenal mucosal paracellular permeability, assessed by measuring the blood-to-lumen clearance of ⁵¹Cr-EDTA, motility, and morphology, were investigated. Perfusing the duodenal segment with ethanol (10 or 15% alcohol by volume), red wine, or HCl (25-100 mM) induced concentration-dependent increases in paracellular permeability. Luminal ethanol and wine increased, whereas HCl transiently decreased duodenal motility. Administration of melatonin significantly reduced ethanol- and wine-induced increases in permeability by a mechanism abolished by the nicotinic receptor antagonists hexamethonium (iv) or mecamylamine (luminally). Signs of mucosal injury (edema and beginning of desquamation of the epithelium) in response to ethanol exposure were seen only in a few villi, an effect that was histologically not changed by melatonin. Melatonin did not affect HCl-induced increases in mucosal permeability or decreases in motility. Our results show that melatonin reduces ethanol- and wine-induced increases in duodenal paracellular permeability partly via an enteric inhibitory nicotinic-receptor dependent neural pathway. In addition, melatonin inhibits ethanol-induced increases in duodenal motor activity. These results suggest that melatonin may serve important gastrointestinal barrier functions.

I take not more than 1mg. Otherwise I'm too sleepy after getting up. And mostly EE has replaced for me melatonin because after doing EE I sleep normally as good as after taking melatonin.

My 2 cents :)

Back
Top Bottom