Melatonin

agni said:
Keep in mind that there seems to be a difference in malatonin products of different brands.

Natrol Melatonin: Melatonin (mg) 3, Vit B6 (mg) 10, Calcium (mg) 63

Has very little affect (on me at least). Still can wake up at night, or have problem falling asleep. Dreams are not so often, unless I take at least 6mg. I am wondering if effects of it are lessened due to increased B6 intake, if I am not mistaken B6 dosage is x5 daily serving.

Nature Made Melatonin: Melatonin (mg) 3

Has the best affect. Knocks me out good even if 1.5mg is taken. Not waking up at night and falling asleep fast. Many dreams, but for some reason can't remember any at all (just know that I had them).
I haven't tried "pure" melatonin, but tried these: Bio-Melatonin Complex

10 mg B3 vitamin (niacin)
0,1 mg melatonin

It did not work, thought it is not containing much melatonin at all, it gave me an hard time of insomania, and headache!
I did try this becouse I did not sleep well, or could not fall asleep, only after many hours into the night.
It may have worsen my 'fall asleep' pattern, but i did have hard times sleeping before this so maybe not.
In anycase it did not work, and my hopes to just to 'dose off' failed.

(It could also be all numbering of things, inter-related to perhaps cancer which I may have, disscused in the Freaky Visions thread, or maybe not. It is an possibility.)

I do believe real melatonin works, like I said heven't tried it- but I don't need it, still having sleeping issues but, it's ok-
Basicly I just took some B3 vitamins named Bio-Melatonin Complex, what a joke.

My point is, products namned something, may almost not be anything like what it seems to be. B3 vitamins maybe not be dangerous, but it felt like I were taking poison. When I bought it I thought, damn, 10mg pills of melatonin, what an deal. Then after usage, staring on the back of the package reading the info, I did throw it, directly in to my trash can.

beau said:
Mangopork said:
Nearly everyone in my family takes it and they report the same effects - second-day fatigue, memory loss, lethargy, etc.
Well, I personally know plenty of people who take melatonin and do not suffer from any of the effects above, myself included. I don't think the anecdotal evidence you have given should be enough to so say that melatonin "is one of the worst supplements ever created". That seems like quite the stretch.
I also have to question that melatonin "is one of the worst supplements ever created".

However, interestingly, I suffer the same symptoms as Mangopork. I am constantly tired and this last few days, I am not taking it to sort my sleep patterns out to return to normal. The tabs I have are 3mg Melatonin. I even tried half tabs for a while without success.

Simmi said:
I also have to question that melatonin "is one of the worst supplements ever created".

However, interestingly, I suffer the same symptoms as Mangopork. I am constantly tired and this last few days, I am not taking it to sort my sleep patterns out to return to normal. The tabs I have are 3mg Melatonin. I even tried half tabs for a while without success.
Well there can be physiological differences (maybe blood type?) or even psychological differences that might influence how the body/mind responds to melatonin in different people. Could also be that your mind is creating plenty of it and you simply don't need any more? I'd say if it makes you uncomfortable, then there's no reason to take it. If you've only begun to take it recently you might be in the "adjustment period", but if the uncomfortableness doesn't change, then I see no reason to continue taking it.

DonaldJHunt said:
6mg is quite a large dose for most people.

I take 1mg and have never needed any more. If you feel groggy too long the next day, you are taking too much, IMO.

Young people (teens and twenties) probably don't need any as your body makes its own. That's why teenagers can sleep for 13 hours like logs.
Uhm, I use 10mg pills. Have no adverse effect from it as far as I can tell. It might be selfsuggestion but I dream vivid dreams almost every time I take it, while not so vivid without. I know its a large dose but the pills are "dot-sized" and almost impossible to break up.

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
[If you've only begun to take it recently you might be in the "adjustment period", but if the uncomfortableness doesn't change, then I see no reason to continue taking it.
Can anyone say how long an adjustment period is? I guess it's an individual thing, but I tried only for 1 month now.
I'm not so young any more (approaching 50) so I would have thought I may have needed something like this, but sadly it appears not.

I was speaking to a tibbetan refuge this last few days about meditation, my not being able to sleep for more than 2/3 hours and the constant noise in my head. Since the noise developed recently, about the same time I started the Melatonin and I was not sure the meditation or the Melatonin was part of the cause. He suggested I see a Tibettan doctor or Monk. Yeah, like there is a surgery or a Monastry open daily just around the corner.

In the meantime I wait for the Melatonin work it's way out.

Simmi said:
Can anyone say how long an adjustment period is?
Don't know that one sorry

Simmi said:
I was speaking to a tibbetan refuge this last few days about meditation, my not being able to sleep for more than 2/3 hours and the constant noise in my head.
Well that's interesting. My boss at work sleeps abou 2-3 hours each night also. For someone sleeping this little he's just fine (although he has other problems, I'm not sure if they are related to the little sleep). I suspect that after about 3 days of sleeping only 3 hours per night I'd be a zombie. A few days after that I think my brain/body would just pass out and not wake up till a day later. How long have you been sleeping this little for? Clearly something in your mind/body is somehow ok with this - otherwise I don't think you'd be able to function at all.

Simmi said:
Since the noise developed recently, about the same time I started the Melatonin and I was not sure the meditation or the Melatonin was part of the cause.
Hmm I wonder of this session is the same thing:
C's said:
Q: (P) The rumbling... does everybody have this... the rumbling sound in my head?
A: Vague, but we will answer if "everyone" were to choose to have it, then everyone would have it.
Q: (L) What is it that Patrick perceives as a rumbling in his head. Apparently, when he turns it on, it has a pronounced
effect on his aura.
A: Turn on a radiio between channels, and what do you hear?
Q: (L) Static. (P) Buzzing. More than one channel? (L) What are the channels?
A: That is not the issue. Turn on a radio that has its tuner between channels, and what do you hear???
Q: (L) You hear static. And this would imply that the radio could be tuned.
A: Yes.
Q: (P) And that is what I need to work on?
A: If you wish.
Q: (L) I don't know too many people who can turn this on and off...
A: But you know people whe have it "on" all the time, and always tuned.
As for melatonin possibly having something to do with this, there's the sessions on melatonin:

C's said:
Q: (L) Why should we take the Melatonin?
A: Is mild hallucinogen.
Q: (L) Why do we need this?
A: Keeps exercising psychic abilities and opens paths. Don't be alarmed by vividly erotic dreams.
C's said:
Q: (L) When L*** took the Melatonin the other night, how come he was unable to sleep?
A: Adjusting to the melatonin.
C's said:
Q: (T) I have not been remembering most of my dreams.
A: Try melatonin; avoid any antidepressants. Some have suggested.
C's said:
Q: (L) We were talking earlier about sleeping and dreaming. It seems to me that sleeping cannot be an evolutionary
benefit, because sleeping would not evolve as something beneficial, because when you are asleep, you are completely
vulnerable to any munching monster that passes by. Therefore, it is not conducive to evolution to sleep. And, I think there
is some other reason for this thing we call sleeping. Obviously it is not to rest the brain, because the brain is as active
asleep as when awake. And the bodily functions...
A: Bodies may get munched; souls don't, however!
Q: (L) Okay, yes, but still it makes me think that there is something to this sleeping business that does not meet the eye in
strictly physical terms. Nobody seems to know why we sleep. You made a remark once that dreams were a prime
opportunity for the implanting of negative information and suggestions. This makes me think that we are even more
vulnerable during sleep than previously thought. Are we induced to sleep genetically for the purpose of control by other
density beings? Could you comment?
A: Ask specifics.
Q: (L) Is it essential, in an evolutionary sense, for the human body to sleep?
Q: (L) Why is it that carnivores need more sleep than herbivores, and on down?
A: Physicality, my dear, physicality.
Q: (L) What is it about physicality that necessitates sleep? What are we doing while we are sleeping?
A: Body recharge.
Q: (L) Where is the body being recharged from or what is it being recharged by?
A: Rest.
Q: (L) What is the soul doing while the body is sleeping?
A: Same, it taxes the soul greatly to be embodied.
Q: (L) Is this why, when people suffer sleep deprivation, they go psychotic?
Q: (L) Why are the results of sleep deprivation, psychosis, delirium tremens, and psychedelic drugs and some mystical
states so similar in their expressions and manifestations? What is being seen?
A: Openings.

Q: (L) Well, if doing without sleep provides an opening, what is it an opening to?
A: Density levels 4 and up.
Q: (L) It would seem to me - well, why is this not good?
A: Who said it wasn't?
Q: (L) Well, apparently a lot of people who have psychotic episodes, literally go out of their minds. They can no longer
function in this world. They LOCK them up!
A: Yes...
Q: (L) Why does melatonin induce these openings?
A: Gentle hallucinogen.

Q: (L) SV's mother took it and got all discombobulated with it!
A: Perception is key. If you really "dig" 3rd density, it makes you uncomfortable to see into the higher densities.
Q: (L) Can one use something like this and grow accustomed to the higher densities?
A: Ask Timothy Leary.
Q: (S) It's too late now! He's in 5 D! (L) Ask him for us.
A: We did, and he liked it a lot!
Q: (L) Did all of his use of hallucinogenics make it easier for him to transition?
Q: (L) Where is he now?
A: 5th density.
So it seems that lack of sleep (serious lack of sleep) can create an "opening". Also melatonin can help create an "opening". And then we have this guy Patrick in the first session talking about the noise in his head - maybe that too was an "opening" of some sort, like he had channeling ability or something he just wasn't tuned? That's what it kinda seemed like.

There was some more stuff that may be related:

C's said:
Q: In some of the ancient carvings of the Olmecs, they were always carved with a cleft in their foreheads. Did this
represent an actual physical cleft?
A: Designation in the art work is for "The Nation of the Third Eye."
Q: We have talked about the Nation of the Third Eye before. What is the third eye and how does one activate it?
A: What do you think?
Q: Well, what I think may be erroneous. Is it the pineal gland?
A: May be part of the picture.

Q: Is the third eye something one can use to view their reality?
A: Ditto.
Q: What is the best method for activating it?
A: This is a good one, for example.
Q: Oh, you mean channeling.
So might this pineal gland be related to this "opening" that is induced by sleep deprivation and possibly melatonin, and possibly also the noise in your head that might be part of some opening?

C's said:
Q: (L) Serotonin is a hormone secreted by the Pineal gland and is also secreted in the mid-brain and is related to feelings
of well- being, mood altering, and you suffer from lack of serotonin if you don't get enough sleep. The other day we were
discussing the fact that infants on mother's milk do not produce much waste. Is there any diet that adult humans could eat
that would be assimilated as well?
A: Less, but for no waste, just wait for fourth density.
Ok, so if you don't sleep much, you lack serotonin (at least for people who normally sleep more, but in your case Simmi, maybe 2-3 hours is all your body needs?). So how do all these things connect: Pineal gland, serotonin, melatonin, "openings", channeling, sleep deprivation, psychic abiltities, and the noise in your head? I'm really tired and dense right now, but based on all of the above it seems like a matter of just connecting the dots and understanding the interrelationships. There may be other pieces of the puzzle needed, I'm not sure. But it may help resolve/explain some of what is going on with you.

Hi ScioAgapeOmnis

Yes, I read those parts of the C's transcripts too and never thought it anything at all would happen to me, but it did.

As for the lack of sleep, I slept less having taken Melatonin and felt less stressed for the amount of hours that I kept awake had I not taken it. But I just was not getting enough sleep because although I should have been dead from the neck both ways, it did not feel so bad, but I just felt miserable, continually tired and unable to sleep long. Even when I go to bed, I just lie awake exhausted and memory loss crept in. Even my boss commented last week how tired I looked. He does not normally comment like that. So maybe, I should let my body stabilise again without the Melatonin then, keep a blog on events and doses. 2 or 3 hours is just not enough and whilst taking it, although I can survive on less sleep, I just feel miserable.

From what you say also, then I may indeed, not be taking enough as although I was tired, I did not start to feel sleepy after an hour or so after taking it and I did not experience dreams - well none that I can remember in the few hours I managed to doze off.

The noise in the head is interesting, though I would not describe it as a roar, more like a high pitch and if I concentrate, there seems to be another even higher pitch tone but a little weaker. I had a little tinitus before, but nothing like this and this can be loud sometimes. I was told by my Tibettan contact that this was completely normal and after 53 or so, it should start to go away. Also, I was told that the Buddhist Monks say that this noise is the sound of your soul or your self so to speak. Who can say that it really is related to Melatonin in my case.

What is clear is that I need to redo my research on it and relate it to my own personal findings.

Long live this thread :-)

I have read this thread several times and I have wondered if "brands" of melatonin
might differ from one another? I was going to grab a bottle from a health store, but
my wife stopped at 'Rite Aid and here is what it says on the label:

Center:
- 3 MG - Dietary Supplement
- Rite Aid:
- Melatonin
- 60 tablets
- Associated with Sleep/Wake patterns*

- * This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This product is not labeled to diagnose, treat, cure, or treat any disease.

Left side:
- Keep out of reach of Children. Keep in a cool dry place, tightly closed.
- IMPORTANT: Tamper evident seal under cap. Do not use if printed seal is broken or missing.

Right side:
- Potency of Melatonin verified by GNP procedure #5008. Conforms
to USP <2091> for weight. Meets USP <2040> disinegration.
- Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: 1 tablet
- Each tablet contains: % Daily Value
Vitamin B-6 2mg 100%
(as Pyridoxine Hypochloride)
Melatonin 3mg *

* Daily value not established.

Other Ingredients:
Dicalcium Phosphate
Cellulose
Stearic Acid
Magnesium Stearate

Warnings:
Keep out of the reach of children. Children
and women who are pregnant or nursing a
baby should not use Melatonin. If you are
taking any drug, tell your physician before
using this product. Do not take this product
if you have low blood pressure or any sleep
disorder, or if you are taking a sedative or
anthisamine. Do not use alcohol , drive a
vehicle or operate any machinery while
taking this product. Do not use prior to any
surgery.

Suggested use: Take one tablet before bedtime.

Any red-flags for items listed in: "Other Ingredients"?

there is some evidence melatonin can be used to reduce seizures in dogs

__http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/melatonin.htm

dant said:
I have read this thread several times and I have wondered if "brands" of melatonin
might differ from one another?

I've noticed different brands have different potency, regardless of the dosage. I've taken a 1 mg that knocks me out and a 3 mg that doesn't feel like it really does the job. I think you just have to experiment and find what you like and what works for you. Personally, I prefer the sublinguals by 'Source Naturals' that dissolve under your tongue.

Did anyone else find that their melatonin built up tolerance?

When i got it originally, i used to take it every night more or less, but after a while they did not make me tired anymore or have any lucid dreams.

I stopped taking them and started again and it worked fine.

My girlfriends mom has restless legs while sleeping, she took melatonin for about 2 - 3 weeks or so and it helped with her problem a lot but then slowly it stopped working.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet in the thread.

Other than that overall i could sleep less and wake up less tired in the beginning for sure, that also slowly wore off.

Hi Franco,

What was the dosage level you were taking? It has been my observation that you will have to increase the level over time. I started by taking .75 mg and worked up to 1.5 mg, and then moved to 3 mg a night. As I understand it, one can progress to a level of 6mg a night. Don't take my answer as fact and do your own research on this. I am only relating what I have read and understand to be the proper level or dose.

gwb

In the daytime, I took 1 tablet, and I noted the effects,
it's like being drowsy, and it was kind of hard to stay
awake (of course I stayed home all day). I took a
nap after giving up fighting to say awake after several
hours. I did this test to see what really does on as
one never knows when one takes a pill, just before
going to bed at night. It was an interesting experiment.

From what i remember I started with 1mg and moved to 2mg but i think it is probably different from brand to brand.

Los said:
Personally, I prefer the sublinguals by 'Source Naturals' that dissolve under your tongue.

Hi Los,

I've just checked the Source Naturals website and looked for the further ingredients in their melatonin products. This is because I've realized today that I've been taking melatonin that contains magnesium stearate, which is toxic (check out this thread ).

Source Naturals' melatonin also contains magnesium stearate, at least the pills! Their Melatonin Nutra Spray doesn't contain it; however, it contains soy lecithin instead.

Their Melatonin Liquid Sublingual contains: sorbitol (_www.//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol), natural orange flavor, vegetable glycerin, citric acid, purified water,
propylene glycol (_www.//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol), ethyl alcohol (6%) and potassium benzoate (_www.//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_benzoate).

Thus, this one doesn't contain magnesium stearate, but still there're ingredients which aren't quite 'optimal', so to speak (I'm talking of sorbitol, citric acid, propylene glycol and potassium benzoate - it could however well be that I'm exaggerating my concerns, as my knowledge in chemistry/biochemistry tends towards zero - maybe someone can correct me, if I'm wrong).

Now I just wonder: is there any melatonin brand that's free of toxic substances, does anyone know? I still couldn't find one. What do you guys take?

Back
Top Bottom