Meteorite Explodes Over Russia Injures Hundreds

dant said:
rt said:
Russian scientists have presented an operable national defense program
against threats from outer space that can be built within 10 years’ time.

Do you think we have 10 years when the graph presented
in one of the post/threads [somewhere] shows an [almost]
exponential growth of asteroids/bolides/comets/meteors? :huh:

No, I don't think 10 years is anywhere near the mark considering the rise in the number of fireballs - but I don't know either. If we're due for a close encounter with a really big comet, none of this matters anyway, osit. The 10 years may be driven by the "destruction" part of this program.

LQB said:
No, I don't think 10 years is anywhere near the mark considering the rise in the number of fireballs - but I don't know either. If we're due for a close encounter with a really big comet, none of this matters anyway, osit. The 10 years may be driven by the "destruction" part of this program.

I would have to agree with that.

According to the American Meteor Society alone, from 2005 to 2010 (5 years), the number of incidents has more than doubled. Then from 2010 to 2012 (2 years) it has far more than doubled again.

Unfortunately, I think that in 10 years from now, the world as we know it will be entirely different. And I don't think it's going to be a really nice sight if you catch my drift.

I think that this "defense system" thing is just irrelevant concerning the actual situation.

Everything is converging to a point, OSIS.

My thoughts.

LQB said:
Interesting Russian Space proposal - notice they suggest the (ridiculous) requirement to destroy the object. I assume that is the ground element. What we found was that there was no viable ground sensor worth the cost of playing in the satellite mix (except as a transition element).

I'm sure that US Space Command and other agencies are ramping up studies as we speak.

I am also quite certain that all this competition agenda is just a propaganda - as usual - to calm the public.. And further they go by mentioning big numbers (billions or whatever) they are 'prepared' to invest in comet 'scarecrow', but wouldn't it be nice to get some of that funds - maybe even to present it as SoTT team product/package of decades of research for better "sale... Uh just some nice thoughts :huh:

LQB said:
dant said:

All data provided by C's strongly indicate that there is much lesser time but, on the other hand, there is 30+ days left for daring ones to offer something to Russians (and they have BIG MONEY)... So who knows..? Me-thinks it's worth a shot...

Yozilla D'monster

LQB said:

We don't even need a close encounter with a big comet; all we need to do is enter the part of the stream of comet debris left over from the last giant comet that is still loaded with clumps of boulder and house sized objects. That is exactly what is happening, according to Clube and Napier.

What is also fascinating is the fact that we now have a nice selection of regular comets approaching from elsewhere (other than the established Taurid stream) and I note that there are three new ones discovered in February. The solar system is suddenly getting very busy.

dant said:
rt said:
Russian scientists have presented an operable national defense program
against threats from outer space that can be built within 10 years’ time.

No, they're just saying that to pacify people. Even if they could track every incoming bolide, what then? Are they going to shoot missiles at them? The fireball would have already exploded by the time the missile's rocket boosters are finished warming up for take-off.

I'm doubtful they have any intention of actually building a 'defense program'. Like Lewis pointed out years ago, they decided that it's more expensive to build a comprehensive space hazard program than it is to just let space rocks do their thing, then rebuild afterwards. Remember the Shock Doctrine? Same principle applies here:

http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine/excerpt

In one of his most influential essays, Friedman articulated contemporary capitalism's core tactical nostrum, what I have come to understand as "the shock doctrine". He observed that "only a crisis - actual or perceived - produces real change". When that crisis occurs, the actions taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. Some people stockpile canned goods and water in preparation for major disasters; Friedmanites stockpile free-market ideas. And once a crisis has struck, the University of Chicago professor was convinced that it was crucial to act swiftly, to impose rapid and irreversible change before the crisis-racked society slipped back into the "tyranny of the status quo". A variation on Machiavelli's advice that "injuries" should be inflicted "all at once", this is one of Friedman's most lasting legacies.

I think the psychopaths in power will see this space hazard as a glorious opportunity to remake the world more to their liking.

That's all we are to them: one factor in a cost-benefit equation.

Being psychopaths, of course they don't realise that they will go down with the rest of us.

Kniall said:
I'm doubtful they have any intention of actually building a 'defense program'.

You could say their underground tunnels and bases are a "defense program" of sorts. Intended strictly for themselves of course.

If I recall the transcripts correctly, the C's said these will survive what lies ahead.

Laura said:
LQB said:

We don't even need a close encounter with a big comet; all we need to do is enter the part of the stream of comet debris left over from the last giant comet that is still loaded with clumbs of boulder and house sized objects. That is exactly what is happening, according to Clube and Napier.

What is also fascinating is the fact that we now have a nice selection of regular comets approaching from elsewhere (other than the established Taurid stream) and I note that there are three new ones discovered in February. The solar system is suddenly getting very busy.

Yes, I saw the sott posts of the new comets. A plot of the number of new comets discovered over the past several years might be interesting too.

If the debris stream from past comets is the primary threat, then even a 2-sat LEO constellation of visible spectrum telescopes would vastly improve our probability of detection/track for these larger objects. When I retired, work was being done to develop dual focal planes arrays (in one telescope) for both visible and IR scanning. The problem with IR is that the focal plane must be super-cooled, and the first failure is usually the cooling system. But in this event, the visible payload continues just fine.

It is not widely known that when MIT Lincoln Labs began operating their SBV (space-based visible - 1996 - see link above) telescope experiment (at LEO), it produced so many accurate tracks that the SSN came to rely on it as if it were an operational part of the SSN. Today we can do far better than SBV in all categories of performance - with basically off-the-shelf space-qualified H/W.

In a crash program, you could probably launch a 2-sat LEO constellation for $500M including launch. When I say we produced cost-estimates for these satellite architectures, it included design to the subsystem level, size/weight/power (including sat mechanical design), solar arrays, comm payload, launch costs, and ground processing. The "we" are the designers working with company-sanctioned cost estimators (whose sole job is to estimate cost through system life based on past known costs). This could probably be done in less than a year if the priority were applied.

A more capable system is a 4/8 sat constellation at MEO where you launch 4 sats at a time to MEO. This is higher cost but is partially offset by decommission of the ground-based telescopes (their contribution becomes trivial). In any event the cost is just a drop in the bucket compared to what is spent by the US on all sat programs.

Yozilla said:
I am also quite certain that all this competition agenda is just a propaganda - as usual - to calm the public

Agreed. First they declared that this is a 1-in-every-hundred-years event and indicated that we'll be just fine for another 100 years.
Then this, 'in 10 years, we'll have the defense system needed to protect us' from these sort of things...

'Everything is under control' and/ or 'Keep calm and carry on'...

sitting said:
If I recall the transcripts correctly, the C's said these will survive what lies ahead.

I wouldn't take that as gospel, though. I once read a novel about just that in which some of the survivors still perish later on because they are trapped with no escape route available and dwindling resources (food, water, energy). Basically, you wouldn't want to survive given the conditions under which you would have to live afterwards.

A Glancing Blow: An original novel which tells the story of a worldwide catastrophe involving the near-collision of an errant planet with Earth. The idea is based on similar near-collisions from the 15th and 7th centuries B.C.E., but the novel itself is set in modern times. The story involves both the discovery of Earth's fate, the frantic preparations, and in the second half of the book, the aftermath of the planetary encounter as a small dedicated group attempts to survive in a devastated world.
Written in 1978 - Premiered on Halexandria 20 August 2005.

It can be found and read here: _http://www.halexandria.org/dward596.htm

There's also, among other things, this thread about Survivors (Terry Nation TV Series BBC 1970ties): http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28927.0.html

Kniall said:
Being psychopaths, of course they don't realise that they will go down with the rest of us.

Agreed. An other great example of wishful thinking from their behalf. The C's have discussed this.

Session 22 October 1994 said:
Q: (L) Well, since there is so many of us here, why don't they just move in and take over?

A: That is their intention. That has been their intention for quite some time. They have been traveling back and forth through time as you know it, to set things up so that they can absorb a maximum amount of negative energy with the transference from third level to fourth level that this planet is going to experience, in the hopes that they can overtake you on the fourth level and thereby accomplish several things. 1: retaining their race as a viable species; 2: increasing their numbers; 3: increasing their power; 4: expanding their race throughout the realm of fourth density. To do all of this they have been interfering with events for what you would measure on your calendar as approximately 74 thousand years. And they have been doing so in a completely still state of space time traveling backward and forward at will during this work. Interestingly enough, though, all of this will fail.

Q: (L) How can you be so sure it will fail?

A: Because we see it. We are able to see all, not just what we want to see. Their failing is that they see only what they want to see. In other words, it's the highest manifestation possible of that which you would refer to as wishful thinking. And, wishful thinking represented on the fourth level of density becomes reality for that level. You know how you wishfully think? Well, it isn't quite reality for you because you are on the third level, but if you are on the fourth level and you were to perform the same function, it would indeed be your awareness of reality. Therefore they cannot see what we can see since we serve others as opposed to self, and since we are on sixth level, we can see all that is at all points as is, not as we would want it to be.

So since our 3D psychopaths are sort of entangled by essence to 4D STS forces, perhaps it all reflects in them too.

Palinurus said:
I wouldn't take that as gospel, though. I once read a novel about just that in which some of the survivors still perish later on because they are trapped with no escape route available and dwindling resources (food, water, energy). Basically, you wouldn't want to survive given the conditions under which you would have to live afterwards.

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well although I don't know how well "equipped" they are (resources).

There are comets/meteors but let's remember that we might enter a new ice age afterwards as well. Conditions are going to be very harsh for everyone, even them, osit.

And I don't see psychopaths just sheltering themselves, do nothing and "give us a break", at least, not for very long.

FWIW

19-21, February 2013 noctilucent clouds were observed in The UK, Denmark, Norway and The Netherland. Since these clouds are usually only seen in summer, it is suspected they may be the result of dust deposited in the upper atmosphere by the Chelyabinsk/Chebarkul meteor.

First, two pictures from _http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/muligt_meteorstoev_i_solnedgangen
chelyabinskstoev_tomaxelsen_640.jpg
Photo by Tom Axelsen, Copenhagen area, DK
chelyabinskstoev2_henrikbondo_640.jpg
Photo by Henrik Bondo, DK

Below are some of the links to these and similar observations

_http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=76793&PHPSESSID=t86oearak2sckrq0kk0k91quf0 Taken by Taken by Margaret Hughes on February 19, 2013 @ Askam-in-Furness, Cumbria, England.
_http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=76819 Same as one of the above pictures.
Taken by Tom Axelsen on February 19, 2013 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
The personal site of Tom Axelsen is: _http://grib-stjernerne.dk/ There is a discussion in Danish on the forum of the astronomical society: _http://www.astro-forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=9938&PID=101708
__http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Terry-Parker-Noctilucent-Clouds-2-of-5_1361438465.jpg Taken by Terry Parker Feb. 20, 2013 Overhead Birmingham UK
http://overhodetcom.blogspot.no/2013/02/noctilucent-clouds-in-winter.html
Taken by Julius Jahre Sætre on February 20, 2013 @ Vestfold, Norway approximately 60° North and 10° East.
_http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=76855
Taken by Jan Tromp on February 21, 2013 @ Beverwijk, Netherlands
There is a discussion about the clouds on this site: _http://nlcnet.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=869

The Norwegian gave a link to an article from NASA. NASA says that meteor dust has been linked to NLCs because 3% of the NLC ice particles are formed around meteor dust. NASA also holds that the growing amount of methane is why, NLCs are seen at lower geographic altitudes. This is possible, but also, since more big meteors are observed, it follows more dust should be up there, hence more clouds.
In any case, NLCs seem to be the new need-to-know-type of cloud if one wishes to know what’s up.
The link to the article is _http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/07aug_meteorsmoke/ In the article, there is also a youtube which basically reads out the article and supplements it with pictures and graphic work: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzs9ZOsjF-c
Here are a few quotes:
_http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/07aug_meteorsmoke/ said:
Specks of meteor smoke act as gathering points where water molecules can assemble themselves into ice crystals. The process is called "nucleation."
Nucleation happens all the time in the lower atmosphere. In ordinary clouds, airborne specks of dust and even living microbes can serve as nucleation sites. Tiny ice crystals, drops of water, and snowflakes grow around these particles, falling to Earth if and when they become heavy enough.
Nucleating agents are especially important in the ethereal realm of NLCs. The clouds form at the edge of space where the air pressure is little more than vacuum. The odds of two water molecules meeting is slim, and of sticking together slimmer still.
Meteor smoke helps beat the odds. According AIM data, ice crystals can grow around meteoritic dust to sizes ranging from 20 to 70 nanometers. For comparison, cirrus clouds in the lower atmosphere where water is abundant contain crystals 10 to 100 times larger.
Meteor smoke explains much about NLCs, but a key mystery remains: Why are the clouds brightening and spreading?
In the 19th century, NLCs were confined to high latitudes—places like Canada and Scandinavia. In recent times, however, they have been spotted as far south as Colorado, Utah and Nebraska. The reason, Russell believes, is climate change. One of the greenhouse gases that has become more abundant in Earth's atmosphere since the 19th century is methane. It comes from landfills, natural gas and petroleum systems, agricultural activities, and coal mining.
It turns out that methane boosts NLCs.
[…]
NLC Observing tips: Look west 30 to 60 minutes after sunset when the Sun has dipped 6o to 16o below the horizon. If you see luminous blue-white tendrils spreading across the sky, you've probably spotted a noctilucent cloud. Although noctilucent clouds appear most often at arctic latitudes, they have been sighted in recent years as far south as Colorado, Utah and Nebraska. NLCs are seasonal, appearing most often in late spring and summer. In the northern hemisphere, the best time to look would be between mid-May and the end of August.
Comment: The 30-60 minute gap very much depends on the time of the year. To be exact one can calculate when the sun is between 6 and 16 degrees below the horizon at a given place and at a given time. An easier way is to switch on the star programme on the computer. I have Stellarium for example. There I can turn off the Earth view and then select the azimuthal grid. Thus, I can see where the Sun is and how far it is below the horizon.
By the way the news form NASA seems to be just a reconfirmation of what was suspected/known: Peter Lancaster Brown wrote in Astronomy in Colour, published by Blanford Press London in 1972 with second revised edition from 1975 that: “Micrometeorites […] There is some evidence to suppose that such particles form the nuclei for the formation of noctilucent clouds - p. 97”

The transformation of a large part of the incoming rock to small particles of dust seems to me to be well explained by the video that was posted in this article: http://www.sott.net/article/258695-Russian-meteor-Another-shock-to-the-system

It seems that astronomers 'explained' the origin of this bolide: The Apollo family... :wizard:

_http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23213-russian-meteor-traced-to-apollo-asteroid-family.html

_http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/russian-meteor-analysis-orbit-apollo-asteroid-130226.htm

After seeing the pictures in your post Thorbiorn, later that night I was walking outside and a very similar dust cloud that was lit up by the moon. And I live in the East Coast...

Yozilla said:
It seems that astronomers 'explained' the origin of this bolide: The Apollo family... :wizard:

_http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23213-russian-meteor-traced-to-apollo-asteroid-family.html

_http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/russian-meteor-analysis-orbit-apollo-asteroid-130226.htm

_http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/russian-meteor-analysis-orbit-apollo-asteroid-130226.htm said:
Around 5,200 Apollo asteroids are currently known, the largest being 1866 Sisyphus — a 10 kilometer-wide monster that was discovered in 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1866_Sisyphus said:
This Apollo asteroid will reach apparent magnitude of 10.0 on November 26, 2071 when it will be as close as 0.116 A.U. (17.4 million kilometers) from Earth

Seems they just wanted to make their propaganda more solid and provide it with some credibility?

Nuke said:
Seems they just wanted to make their propaganda more solid and provide it with some credibility?

Of course that ones are obligated to legitimate their paychecks....

Back
Top Bottom