Musings on Myth and Morphic Fields

Michael B-C

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I’ve just been carefully re-reading the brilliant article posted on SOTT this week by Neil Maves entitled ‘Epidemic depression as a wake up call to humanity’.

http://www.sott.net/article/295289-Epidemic-depression-as-a-wake-up-call-to-humanity

If you’re reading this Neil, then thank you. What an immensely inspiring piece of work! I strongly recommend that everyone read and digest what he has outlined. Strange how you know something but you don’t fully become conscious of it until someone generously distils a range of thoughts and connections into a visionary format that has immediate and (hopefully) lasting effect on one’s consciousness.

Much of what Neil outlines in the piece will be familiar to many on this forum, being a distillation of the direction of understanding that the work of Laura has been helping us all to grasp. I still thank Neil for putting it into such clear and logical – and yes inspiring - format. It’s indeed a wake up call for anyone who still allows their doubts and psychological foibles to dominate their being instead of grasping the need at this time for collective, conscious action of mind and effort to create a fully operational and effective network in line with the creativity and necessary processes for change and transformation within the Universe.

The C’s have been gently but forcibly pushing (or should I say encouraging or calling) for us to individually take up personal responsibility for becoming fully committed to what this network stands for – to quote Neil:

“Gurdjieff was apt to say in his teachings that 200 conscious beings sharing an aim could change the world. It makes one wonder if the ripple effects from such a network are what the psychopathic elite of the planet really fear and why they are trying so feverishly to create a reality that is so dark that it coerces us to forfeit our will, our power to choose. With the alarm clock of disillusionment ringing so loudly, the only way they can maintain power is to numb us with their nihilistic cacophony. The ability to choose is the greatest superpower of all and should not be forgotten.”

I wanted, however, to raise a thought for comment that struck me to do with the emergence of mythology and archetypes into our distant past and their ongoing role today.

In the article Neil briefly but effectively examines the theories of Richard Sheldrake in his great book ‘The Science Delusion’ in which he posits the importance of what he terms ‘morphogenic fields’ and ‘morphic resonance’ which interact with the material world and transmit and generate movements of ideas. Again to quote from Neil’s article:

“This effect is best summarized by the much publicized '100th monkey' syndrome, where once a critical mass of creatures learns a certain skill, it becomes much easier for others to learn that skill and it can be transmitted, apparently 'psychically', to an unrelated tribe of similar creatures in a distant place. Sheldrake also introduces examples such as the synthesis of crystals, where once crystals have been synthesized in one place, they spontaneously become easier and easier to synthesize under the same conditions elsewhere in the world. He calls this phenomenon 'morphic resonance', whereby a certain structure is introduced to the 'information field', and the more energy and frequency that is put into trying to access that particular form, the more powerful the information field becomes and the easier it manifests into material reality everywhere.”

What this immediately brought to mind was the near universal fundamental uniformity of motifs that lie at the bedrock of most global myths. No matter where you look, if you strip away the obvious additions and superfluous detail influenced by time and place, one finds the same essential themes and structures of expression. Historians and anthropologists have struggled for decades with this baffling issue, with many theories put forward to explain this reflecting two basic point of view – either dissemination via an ancient central source or effective influence via ages of migration and cultural contact.

Of late a third approach has gained traction based on the theory that humans world wide experienced identical (or at least highly inter connected versions of) catastrophic environmental change (e.g. cometary bombardment, interaction with bi-products thereof, and a resulting re-shaping of their world) that so strongly affected them that they were all inspired to create similar stories as vessels to express and mirror what it was they all witnessed, irrespective of where they stood upon the earth. This cosmological view is one I would strongly share, for my own study of world wide myth increasingly convinces me that primal myth is fundamentally (1) cosmic in theme (2) reflective of the above so below philosophy (3) heavily indebted to actual extreme phenomena that took place in an atmospheric and earth based environment completely different to the one we regard as normal. I wouldn’t go so far as to say myths are in some way always about the sky but I would come very close to it!

Having said that, I have long regarded myth to be a multilayered, multi-functioning information source. That is they are structured to contain multiple levels of meaning at one and the same time – both physical and metaphysical – which in their interaction offer the deepest, most resonant source of understanding about the nature of our age old condition. They invite us to journey into these layers – set out rather like those within an onion, or perhaps a labyrinth, with the surface designed to hook into our imaginations and peak our story-minded interest whilst offering layer upon layer of further meaning that one must tease out if one wants to find the richest understanding buried at their heart. All the layers run concurrently and all are valid, but the total meaning is only realised when/if one develops the ability and the tool kit (e.g. wide ranging objective knowledge and discernment) to decode and unpeel all and every level simultaneously. The sum is then truly greater than the individual parts.

That is why I remain wary of the tendency emerging in the catastrophic field of research which simply states ‘the myths are fundamentally about actual events, which when you have cracked the scientific primer, reveal hard facts about something that actually occurred’. This is clearly a key layer to their meaning, and one not that easily identified from just their surface. Hence the ridiculous amount of dead-end academic work in this field that never even gets close to acknowledging the scientific veracity of these bizarre seeming stories. For example if one does not acknowledge the electric universe theory or the resulting understanding of the nature of comets as electrically charged bodies, then the various sun gods and planetary ‘personalities’ will make no sense at all other than as perverse psychological pictures reflective of the naïve ancient mind (an ancient mind by the way that was able to invent maths, science, geometry, writing, art, etc). But the opposite is also perhaps true. If one only looks to the myths as purely sources of scientific, 3rd density reality (albeit radical and forward thinking in nature) then one is equally in danger of missing other, perhaps deeper levels of resonant meaning that are far more metaphysical in nature. Yes the psychoanalytical and new age movements too often turn myth into a vacuous meanders full of psychobabble and wishful thinking as much as academics do with their sun gods, and fertility rites and agricultural seasonal obsessions. But the exoteric is reflective of the esoteric and visa versa. There is, as Neil’s article so poignantly reveals, a deep level of overarching truth that permeates the actions of the universe that is in fact ‘divinely’ motivated. This brings to mind the words of Fulcanelli in ‘The Dwellings of the Philosphers’ regarding Alchemy (perhaps an offshoot – or practical science - relating to myth): “(you) will never learn this sublime science by means of books… that it can only be learned through divine revelations, hence it is called the divine art…”

So when I read Neil’s piece it struck me that the ‘release’ of mythic form into our domain, perhaps via the archetypal realm, was a conscious effect from a higher ‘divine’ realm to inject high level, transformative information into our world. That the original seeds may well have been planted, as with Sheldrake’s crystals, into one place at one time – maybe via a particular group or network of conscious thinkers (much as the Cassiopaeans have done via Laura to generate this network). I have long posited that certain so called ancient mystery schools or shamanically driven groups in the far distant past were the most likely source of the introduction of the mythic form (perhaps from the North?). By the time, post the Atlantean collapse, it entered the re-build civilisations such as Sumeria, Babylonia, Egypt and then on into Greece, much of the original understanding and creative inspiration had been diluted, perverted or lost. But even these societies, driven though they increasingly were by STS urges, were in so many fundamental ways, mythically derived and driven. It was as if the ‘crystal’ had taken root and they could not help but continue the process of dissemination long after the original inspiration had been discarded.

The inexorable move to monotheism and eventually Christianity and then materialistic science signed a final death knell to this process. But the myths have survived, albeit in fractured, Stalinised forms, and they still speak to people today. Like crop circles, they are always morphically in resonance with our DNA and we can’t escape their call.

I have long wondered about a rebirth of mythic form. It seems strange to me that such a force lost its inspiring ability to generate new models of seeing the world – when did anyone last effectively use myth as a means of creative expression that transcended time and place and became universal? Shakespeare springs to mind – his work is fundamentally mythic in form and purpose despite what the Shakespeare industry would have us believe. But beyond ‘him’ (whoever he really was – again I suspect part of a network) I struggle.
Maybe it requires the return of the ‘goddess’ for such an act to occur, for I think it was ‘she’ that was the inspiring origin and the motivational force behind most true myth. Perhaps our mind has been so plastically altered by environmental and cultural influences that we can no longer access the well from which these story impulses originally emerged (I think now of the Arthurian tales of the sacred well guarded by priestesses who were defiled and raped). But maybe such a time will come again. Maybe this network is part of that return to grace. Maybe, once the ‘chaos has come again’, we will see such forms once more burst forth, morphically, to once again inspire and guide us out of dark times.

Any comments anyone or am I off the page here!

Hello Michael BC, I think you have put a lot of effort into your piece and it is worthy of a response: just a couple of things spring to mind, one is that I believe Laura is "peeling back the onion" in her work on Caesar and Paul. That's a whole new rabbit hole to explore.
The other point is that I believe the ancients knew it might come to this: and they have left us clues to trigger our tiny little minds into a modicum of understanding. Clues that remained throughout the ages, such as the pyramids.
A lot of architecture has clues built into it. I just look around the city I live in, and see what appear to be 'sun dials' built into the skyscrapers, and also in ornamental features in parklands.

Perhaps there are other more articulate minds who can give you a more detailed response, but these are just a couple of things that jumped out at me, for what it's worth.

It's funny, because this was going to be a subject for my next article in a roundabout way. I think your last three paragraphs are right on the money regarding the subject. Laura goes into a quite a bit of detail on it in her Psychopathy, Golden Age, and the Sixth Extinction article, and I was going to distill that down to the most relevant points. Check out the attachment.

Attachments

• Extract-Post.docx
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Hi Neil

Thanks for letting me read your very interesting draft article. I'm not sure if a response from me is valuable at all, but here are some thoughts it inspired in me.

The mystery of myth remains deeply hidden, so any musing by 21st century thinkers is automatically opaque. But we have to have a go.

I boil myth down to four basic substrata:
(a) Those dealing with Primal Creation and Cosmology
(b) Those dealing with a Deeply Apprehended Interactions with the various Elementary Forces of Nature and the Environment
(c) Those dealing specifically with Catastrophe & Cyclical Change via Direct Historical Experience
(d) Those emanating from Shamanic, Channeled or PSI Sources, dealing with the Sacred Art of Self and Communal Transformation.

Often multiple elements of the above can be present at the same time in a single ‘myth’. ‘D’ may in fact be the primary source of ‘A’ and the deeper levels of ‘B’. There is suggestion of transference of information from actual direct ‘person-to-person’ contact with beings of higher levels, although again this may merely be a mythic/symbolic representation of ‘D’. I suspect ‘C’ is the newest layer of most of the myths we now have, particularly in terms of their trying to comprehend what had gone wrong with the world that ‘A,B, & D’ had hitherto sustained. ‘A’ is in many ways the most mysterious, as its source and meaning in time and space is illusive, if it relates to such a locality at all. The Electric Universe theory offers some potential solutions to some common elements along with quantum physics, but much is still incomprehensible. It hints at a lost scientific knowledge dating way, way back that we are only now beginning to fathom. But then again perhaps essential myth was their science…

Myth would appear to have multiple purposes – e.g. scientific, collective memory retention, activated apprehension, illustration, provocation, learning, etc … and yes entertainment! ‘Learning is fun!’

I don’t see the mythic form as a lesser form of knowledge than the intellectual or scientific. I think in reality it represents the closest we have ever come to to a full spectrum brain activity, in that it seeks to express through a single form all experience and knowledge. True science should be that of course, and perhaps that is what myth is – true science. But our science, and even the work of this forum, is very much a product of our age – as you point out, in the last gasps of the Iron Age/epoch, one that has shrunken and warped our capacity. We are children of Iron and our brains and abilities represent that fate. Our science is highly degraded. And so, perhaps is our idea of what science actually is.

The C’s have alluded to the fact that changes in the past to our environment and to our perceptions have hampered our current grasp on reality. The veil has been, in some ways, at its thickest in our time. I see evidence for significant changes in brain function, particularly the open field connection between left and right hemispheres that is part of mythic knowledge (perhaps best expressed as the ideal Hermaphrodite and the Sacred twins - Gemini - male and female in the original form - the left and right brain, the earth bound and the cosmically aligned) that appears to have closed off as a universal or dominant human attribute by about 3,200bc (a process of darkening that had been going on perhaps since the introduction of agriculture and high gluten intake, etc) and which was further erased by the systematic hunting down of the ‘gifted’ throughout the Christian era.

Essentially the transmitter/receiver no longer functioned on open channel and was, step by step, losing its ability to ‘see’ the big picture. There have been a number of studies and books written that explore this loss of capability, and it is clear that it is significant. When we talk of our only using a tiny part of our brain capacity what this really means is we only now have access to a tiny part of our interactive mind capacity (as you no doubt know up to 90% of the brain can be removed and full superficial functioning maintained). Many of the essential threads and elements in myth come from a time when human mind functions were more in tune and more receptive. And hence perhaps more accurate and able. Receiving information from the morphogenic field, connecting with alternative sources of knowledge, apprehending (I use that word instead of comprehending as it suggests a fuller level of perception and understanding) the environment around us, holding awareness of sts predation, etc – all these attributes were perhaps more fully tuned and conscious and ‘scientific’. Myths become a vessel for this way of being in a way that plain facts can never achieve.

I was interested by your ordering as per the diagram from Mouravieff in Gnosis. You suggest religion first, then science, then art, then philosophy. I wasn’t clear when you regarded this cycle to exist (were you referring to the medieval to renaissance changes?). Whatever, I was intrigued by your placing of Art as a step after Science. Of course I assume you are thinking of what Gurdjieff referred to as Objective Art, not the current, inherently subjective, dead-end form?

I tend to think Art may come first as an expression of Myth – but then who is ever ‘on first’ as Laura would say! For example, the first and most objective Art we know of is surely the rock paintings and symbolic objects found in the caves in France, dating as far back as 40,000bc (maybe much further) and holding true for 20,000 years (although stages of degeneration of form are evident in that period). Does this art predate or post date science? Most, I suspect, would think it predates yet it is possible of course, when one looks at the cycles, that it is in fact the work of survivors from a high culture that fell during one or other global catastrophe. That it is the art of scientists so to speak! The quality and substantive depth of the draftsmanship was not to be matched again (although this view is only based on the limited evidence to hand) until the high renaissance. The attempt to create the illusion of moving figures is like a form of Augmented Reality generation. It does beg the question why they painted animals not what they had lost from their world, but perhaps they were the children of children of survivors and they we working with what life had left them with – survival! – but at the same time had the skill base of their near ancestors. I am open to this but I am not fully convinced; the shamanic aspect of this art is of paramount importance, and they are far from being representations of the hunt for their own sake.

I would still place myth, art and science in the same objective arena as being expressions of the same source – full spectrum knowledge coming via direct contact with the morphic fields, whether via an intermediary or from ancient shamanic practices whereby information was brought back from shamanic ‘flight’. Add to this dream capacity and psi and you have the ability to fully form knowledge directly from the field but which arrives in our domain as coded, archetypal story. I think of crop circles and their symbolic forms - Reiki for the planet - as one of the few examples of a coded language of ‘other’ that still communicates directly with our density. There must have been a time when this was taken as a given – and the stories and myths followed suit as being the language of such a knowledge filled world.

This is why I would not immediately agree when you see knowledge turning to myth once science or higher education is wiped out by cyclical change. Maybe myth is the prompt, the means by which science is first manifested in our realm. Rather like a cosmic ‘thought experiment’!

Fwiw

Michael BC said:
I don’t see the mythic form as a lesser form of knowledge than the intellectual or scientific. I think in reality it represents the closest we have ever come to to a full spectrum brain activity, in that it seeks to express through a single form all experience and knowledge. True science should be that of course, and perhaps that is what myth is – true science. But our science, and even the work of this forum, is very much a product of our age – as you point out, in the last gasps of the Iron Age/epoch, one that has shrunken and warped our capacity. We are children of Iron and our brains and abilities represent that fate. Our science is highly degraded. And so, perhaps is our idea of what science actually is.

The C’s have alluded to the fact that changes in the past to our environment and to our perceptions have hampered our current grasp on reality. The veil has been, in some ways, at its thickest in our time. I see evidence for significant changes in brain function, particularly the open field connection between left and right hemispheres that is part of mythic knowledge (perhaps best expressed as the ideal Hermaphrodite and the Sacred twins - Gemini - male and female in the original form - the left and right brain, the earth bound and the cosmically aligned) that appears to have closed off as a universal or dominant human attribute by about 3,200bc (a process of darkening that had been going on perhaps since the introduction of agriculture and high gluten intake, etc) and which was further erased by the systematic hunting down of the ‘gifted’ throughout the Christian era.

I was interested by your ordering as per the diagram from Mouravieff in Gnosis. You suggest religion first, then science, then art, then philosophy. I wasn’t clear when you regarded this cycle to exist (were you referring to the medieval to renaissance changes?). Whatever, I was intrigued by your placing of Art as a step after Science. Of course I assume you are thinking of what Gurdjieff referred to as Objective Art, not the current, inherently subjective, dead-end form?
I think this all has to do with what is sometimes referred to here as "murdering the feminine." The "feminine" force functions through creativity and spontaneity, not so much logic and deduction. As Gurdjieff and Mouravieff both point out, education is purely an intellectual center exercise and is aimed almost solely at developing the rigidly analytical "masculine" force. In the sense that "science" is understood in our present part of the cycle, it is a product of lower intellectual center, and when one strips away all the explanations, is no more than a collection of mathematical formalisms. It reminds me of what Gurdjieff said of western religion, that the traditions are "dead," there is nothing living left in them. Science, as defined in the diagram, is dead in the same way because it doesn't have any connection left to the creative/inspirational feminine principle to give it any higher aim or broader scope than learning equations which can be used to build better machines so that we can all ascend to the transhumanist cyborg nirvana. I think the Cassiopaeans touched on it here:
session980725 said:
Q: (L) Well, how subtle can it be? I mean, 'hello folks, you know the words munch, crunch, yum yum???'
A: It is not all that way, and you know it! Most are not eaten, just manipulated. Knowledge protects in the most amazing ways. Mathematics are "taught' in your realm in such a way that only a
select few will learn. And mathematics is the language of all creation. For example, advanced math studies, such as algebra, provide the keys to unlocking the doors between the matter and
antimatter universes. Suggest those present who still need to, learn algebra.
This suggests to me that an alternate method of teaching can be employed where the creative mind can be engaged in learning mathematics so that the theorems can be "felt," instead of simply seen and memorized. In the same vein, I think science can be learned in a similar way where the discipline carries a certain level of Being instead of merely abstract academic Knowledge. I think the expression of the creative Being principle creates a science that is more than just a collection of equations, even if mathematics is still the root of everything. In fact, I think your example of crop circles is a concrete manifestation of this idea. I think this is why Mouravieff places art after science, once it becomes infused with Being, it loses its rigidity and allows for a different form of expression in objective art.

As for the timeframe this all occurred in, the religious cycle in Mouravieff's diagram probably started after the fall of Atanltis, but there were pockets where the knowledge survived and was occasionally revived, creating little localized subcycles. I think the ancient Greek poets and philosophers existed in one of these subcycles, but I think it's clear that what they were writing about was already ancient history where most of the knowledge had already been lost and they were just recovering fragments. The monotheistic religions put an end to this subcycle, but things were already greatly decayed under the influence of a larger cycle. These subcycles exist in an overall larger world cycle, and you could say that each wedge in the Yuga diagram, from the smallest to the largest experiences at least three parts of Mouravieff's circle at some point, and these circles operate at different scales simultaneously. It all kind of depends on the scale of the particular cycle you're looking at, where you want to place the timing; cycles within cycles. Nevertheless, I do think that we moved into the science phase in the 1500s and this subcycle happened to align with many other cycles. If Laura's position of our current time is correct, we exist in Iron Yuga of the Iron Great Year of the Iron Era. Basically, all of the cycles have lined up to produce the most negative environment possible. Perhaps since the Wave is here now, the tiniest cycles are starting to move back toward the Golden Age, and eventually enough energy will build to move the whole epochal cycle into it.
Michael BC said:
I would still place myth, art and science in the same objective arena as being expressions of the same source – full spectrum knowledge coming via direct contact with the morphic fields, whether via an intermediary or from ancient shamanic practices whereby information was brought back from shamanic ‘flight’. Add to this dream capacity and psi and you have the ability to fully form knowledge directly from the field but which arrives in our domain as coded, archetypal story. I think of crop circles and their symbolic forms - Reiki for the planet - as one of the few examples of a coded language of ‘other’ that still communicates directly with our density. There must have been a time when this was taken as a given – and the stories and myths followed suit as being the language of such a knowledge filled world.

This is why I would not immediately agree when you see knowledge turning to myth once science or higher education is wiped out by cyclical change. Maybe myth is the prompt, the means by which science is first manifested in our realm. Rather like a cosmic ‘thought experiment’!
I have always been fascinated with all of the tales of "magic" occurring in ancient myths. The Cassiopaeans say that the megalith builders could levitate huge stones by singing to them. Now, I think if I saw this, I would certainly be tempted to think that's its magical. However, I know that the sound waves must somehow create some sort of resonance with the crystals in the rock, that when modulated against a certain cosmic background can create some sort of field where the rocks can be directed at will. Suddenly, this isn't so mythical anymore even though I still don't really know how to explain it. I wonder how many things like that could be explained on a more or less scientific basis, taking into account that the science that these ancients had wasn't the strictly materialistic version of it we have today.

I agree with you that myth is a prompt, I actually don't really see how someone could articulate their understandings of these higher shamanic realms to a general audience without planting seeds in the form of a myth. Also, summarizing the knowledge in the form of a story, if cleverly designed, is a way to engage that creative half of the brain and make it more real than abstract academic instruction. Here I wonder if you get a bunch of Shamans together to "talk shop," if the mythic form is preserved or it becomes more technical. Does the myth a society creates have the same fundamental value as the technical knowledge that it has? It is an interesting question and I don't really know the answer. I can see where it could be a valid and useful way of pulling things out of the information field that are a bit beyond your understanding, but may not always be so.

I know that I really enjoyed reading Greek mythology in school, it was amazing how something older than the bible was actually more interesting than most modern fiction. The way the ancient poets sprinkled the occasional archetypal ideal in there I think is what makes it so stimulating, if you respond to such subtleties. However, I read it mainly for entertainment, and while it did put certain, what I'd call higher ideas in my head, the ideas that are sort of sublimely conveyed in stories such as The Odyssey really didn't become too clear until I started reading the material on the Cassiopaean website, which has a much more technical perspective on things.

Back
Top Bottom