Ocular health

Re: Spending many hours reading from an LCD? Tired eyes?

loreta said:
Anka, you have a dictionary in your Kindle, so this is fantastic. I really don't know about the radiations of a Kindle but there is also radiations from the computer. In Kindle you can choose the format of your letters. And you can bring with you thousand of articles in the little Kindle without the weight of it. But the most important thing is that your eyes are not tired when you read in a Kindle. And that is very, very important.

I understand the advantages you mention. I only prefer to sit at a large table, with notepad and book(s) and at a good distance from all the machines (shaded from electro-smog) and with proper ambient lighting, of course, to eliminate the backlit screen's radiation, and then work in a healthy way and efficiently. That's why the size of a Kindle display would not do for me along with the need for other windows opened at the same time, and using dictionary on the same screen/switching the windows would just exhaust me. It also helps me that i can't bring my set with me anywhere so i keep a stronger focus on the other things needed to be Worked out. But that is only a matter of choice and i am happy to hear from you and other people here that with Kindle you found what you were looking for to get the best out of the electrotechnology for your Work.

loreta said:
By the way, I am not a saleswoman of Kindles.... :P

And i certainly believe you that :)

3D Student said:
loreta said:
So since I have my little Kindle what I do is (from a program from Chrome but I really don't know which one because a friend did the job but I can ask) to go, take the article I want to read and this program puts the article in my Kindle.

That was interesting, so I looked it up. It's called Send to Kindle and will send the article over WiFi to your Kindle from Google Chrome. There is another one called Readability. Here are the links:

Send to Kindle

Readability

Interesting. For people who don't like to be involved with Google:
same seems to exist for Firefox, too:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/sendtokindle/
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/kindle-it/

Loreta, do you have one of these black and white Paperwhite Kindles?
I always thought they do not come with WiFi - just the Kindle Fire, that has an back-lit screen?
And how would the sending work if it doesn't have WiFi?
Is it also possible to send textfiles?

Sorry for all these questions ...

And thanks for this thread, currently I am printing out a lot, but that's not really an option ...

EmmeYa

There are now several generations and kinds of Kindle.

The new Kindle Paperwhite actually does have a back-lit screen.

My version came out before the Paperwhite Kindles, and is still sold as the "Kindle Keyboard 3G". It does have 3G and wireless, and it does not have a back-lit screen. The text appears black on a light-greyish background.

There is also a larger version similar to this, also without a back-lit screen, called the "Kindle DX", but it is not available to some countries.

Screen brightness is low and the room was dark. If you need writing a table lamp can be used. I am using it. Staying more than 10 hours a day at the computer. So far there was no problem.

My Kindle is the regular Kindle, the cheaper, at 79 euros at Amazon. Let me give you a link:

http://www.amazon.es/kindle-ereader-ebook-reader/dp/B007HCCOD0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362665441&sr=8-2

To bring articles in my Kindle you have to have wifi, and Kindle works with wifi when you needed. No wifi no purchase of books or no articles that you can send in your Kindle. I think so. :/

I never try to send text.files. So I don't know if it works.

For me it is really amazing to have a Kindle. I was sure I would never read in a electronic book but I change my mind. Kindle is fantastic because it does not hurt your eyes, that is primordial. I am really unable to read an article in my computer. So usually I printed all what I wanted to read. How much money I spend on paper, my little god. Now this is past. Reading in a Kindle is like reading in a book. One day and you are use to it. Plus you can bring with you all the books you wanted. With dictionary included. ;) You can go to the jungle and be able to read your books in Kindle. No need of wifi to read a book in your electronic little kindle.

What about dioptric glasses with anti-reflective layer? I'm also spending a lot of time in front of LCD monitor and have no problems with eyes, thanks to them.
If i'm by some occasion without my specs, my eye condition is seriously bad.

Thanks, Loreta.
And its the cheapest one, too :)
Its interesting that this more "healthy" one is being replaced with the backlit version...

EmmeYa

The 27-inch GW2760HS monitor, which BenQ introduced last year, will finally be available in April. This new addition to the GW-series has a minimalistic design and flicker-free backlight. The screen is suited for both business and consumer use, and bears a recommended price of €269( £230).The GW2760HS is based on an A-MVA-panel with white leds. BenQ doesn't use digital PWM to regulate the backlight, but instead opts for a more analog way, which should minimize micro-stuttering. The 4 ms gray-to-gray response time should add to the quality of the picture.

The 27-inch monitor offers a 1920x1080 pixel Full HD resolution and has the panel embedded in an 11.5 mm wide glossy frame. BenQ claims that the thin bezels make the GW2760HS perfectly suited for multi-monitor setups. A static contrast of 3000:1 has been specified, while the dynamic contrast is said to be 20,000,000:1. The VA-panel offers bidirectional viewing angles of 178 degrees and the screen has HDMI, DVI-D and D-Sub inputs. BenQ has also implemented 1 W stereo speakers and a headphone jack.

_http://uk.hardware.info/news/34001/27-inch-benq-gw2760hs-with-thin-bezel-and-low-leakage-va-panel

Price is ok. Now waiting for smaller models...

KristinLynne said:
I tried to use this software from the above link and it worked great... for a minute. Somehow it must have had malware attached to it because my computer started acting weird after I installed it... so I had to delete the program and get some help removing the malware from McAfee. FWIW.

I've used f.lux on several computers with no problem. Perhaps you did not download the current version, or downloaded it from a non-trustworthy site? You have to adjust the settings to your own time zone, etc., for it to work properly. I've always used free antivirus software so don't deal with McAfee.

Mrs. Peel said:
KristinLynne said:
I tried to use this software from the above link and it worked great... for a minute. Somehow it must have had malware attached to it because my computer started acting weird after I installed it... so I had to delete the program and get some help removing the malware from McAfee. FWIW.

I've used f.lux on several computers with no problem. Perhaps you did not download the current version, or downloaded it from a non-trustworthy site? You have to adjust the settings to your own time zone, etc., for it to work properly. I've always used free antivirus software so don't deal with McAfee.

I had a similar experience to KristinLynne's one. I downloaded the program last year, it worked fine for that day, and after that my laptop nearly died. I removed lux but, in the end, I had to re install windows all over again through the recovery discs. I now have a functional computer, but which has never been quite the same since then. Well, mind you, my laptop is now 8 and a half years old, and it was already bought refurbished, so I suppose it is also getting "tired".

I would like to get a proper version of lux or any other similar software that wouldn't damage my computer, but I won't do it with this one. It is maybe too old for that and I'm afraid it will die for good.

I spend most of my time at work in front of an LCD screen and eye strain is often a problem for me. Lately I've been experimenting with wearing yellow or amber-tinted sunglasses when sitting in front of the computer and it seems to reduce eye strain quiet well, at least for me.

Found this interview article with a computer eyewear manufacturer about the health dangers of LCD screens _http://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2012/10/08/fighting-back-against-the-health-menace-of-lcd-screens/ (they're not cheap).

According to this manufacturer LCDs can have an impact on melatonin production and sleep :/.

It's possible that f.lux could conflict with other software such as screen savers, but that would not cause an anti-virus program to flag it as malware.

My rule of thumb is don't install anything you don't really need. "Free" screen savers, for example, aren't necessary and are likely to contain spyware of one sort or another.

EmmeYa said:
Thanks, Loreta.
And its the cheapest one, too :)
Its interesting that this more "healthy" one is being replaced with the backlit version...

EmmeYa

You are welcome!

anka said:
Have still not decided what to go for, though. Probably have to spend around €350-400 :cry: to actually get 24inch one with 16:10 ratio which would be most suitable for studying needs (reading multiple texts for cross referencing).

Maybe this? BenQ BL2411PT: http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl2411pt
Price is about €270.
There will be certainly much cheaper 24" from BenQ, but it will be 16:9.

Persej said:
Maybe this? BenQ BL2411PT: http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl2411pt
Price is about €270.

Heureka! That looks like the deal for me. Thanks a bunch, Persej!

Manu said:
I spend most of my time at work in front of an LCD screen and eye strain is often a problem for me. Lately I've been experimenting with wearing yellow or amber-tinted sunglasses when sitting in front of the computer and it seems to reduce eye strain quiet well, at least for me.
Found this interview article with a computer eyewear manufacturer about the health dangers of LCD screens _http://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2012/10/08/fighting-back-against-the-health-menace-of-lcd-screens/ (they're not cheap).
According to this manufacturer LCDs can have an impact on melatonin production and sleep :/.

Yes, an amber tinted glasses or even original BBs can make a big difference for many.
And have you read this Blue Light... thread ?
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,6643.msg222033.html#msg222033

Back
Top Bottom