Paul Dienach - Sleeping sickness time traveller?

Approaching Infinity

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I just heard of this story, and I'm surprised I had never come across it before. After seeing a short documentary on YT about Roswell that was published recently, I subscribed to the channel. As I result, I got this video recommended to me by The Holy Algorithm:

Here's a translation of his diary, with a summary description:

In 1921, Paul Amadeus Dienach, a Swiss-Austrian teacher with fragile health, falls into a one-year-long coma. During this time, his consciousness slides into the future and enters the body of another man in 3906 A.D.

When Dienach awakens from his coma, he finds himself back in 1922. Knowing that he doesn't have much time left, he writes a diary, recording whatever he could remember from his amazing experience: the mankind’s history in the forthcoming centuries, from the nightmare of overpopulation and World Wars up until the world-changing globalisation, the radical new administration system, the colony on Mars and the next human evolutionary stage. Without any close friends and relatives to entrust, he doesn't say a word to anyone out of fear of being branded a lunatic.

Before he dies, he hands his diary to his favourite student, George Papachatzis, later prominent Professor of Law and Rector of Panteion University of Greece. The diary circulates as hidden knowledge amongst high ranking masons in the lodges of Athens. In 1972, professor Papachatzis, despite an intense dispute, decides to publish Dienach’s diary in Greek.

Paul Dienach was not an author, poet, or professional writer. Rather, he was an ordinary man who kept a journal, never with the expectation that it would be published.

This unique and controversial book, a universal legacy, is now carefully edited, translated and available to everyone.

This is the history of our future! We deliver it to you.
I was only familiar with the sleeping sickness epidemic through Sandman. Didn't even realize it was a real thing.

In the winter of 1916–1917, a "new" illness suddenly appeared in Vienna and other cities, and rapidly spread world-wide over the next three years. Earlier reports appeared throughout Europe as early as the winter of 1915–1916, but communication about the disease was slow and chaotic, given the varied manifestation of symptoms and difficulties disseminating information in wartime;[32] it was officially recognized as its own disease in 1917.[25] Some authors define the span of the outbreak as being from 1918 to 1930.[33]

Neurologist Constantin von Economo published a paper in April 1917 describing some of the cases he encountered in the winter months of 1916–1917.[15] These patients, despite varying diagnoses, had a similar pattern of symptoms which led von Economo to suggest a novel disease, which he called Encephalitis Lethargica.[15] In France, physician Jean-René Cruchet was experiencing something similar, and he published his findings within a few days of von Economo.[15]After these two, many more reports began being released about the disease, starting in Europe before moving around the globe.[25]

Until Constantin von Economo identified a unique pattern of damage among the brains of deceased patients and introduced the unifying name encephalitis lethargica, reports of the protean disease came in under a range of names: botulism, toxic ophthalmoplegia, epidemic stupor, epidemic lethargic encephalitis, acute polioencephalitis, Heine-Medin disease, bulbar paralysis, hystero-epilepsy, acute dementia, and sometimes just "an obscure disease with cerebral symptoms."[32] Just 10 days before von Economo's breakthrough in Vienna, Jean-René Cruchet described 40 cases of "subacute encephalomyelitis" in France.[32]

The number of people infected during the ten years of the pandemic is unknown, but it is estimated that more than 1 million people contracted the disease, which directly caused more than 500,000 deaths.[7][8][9] Encephalitis lethargica assumed its most virulent form between October 1918 and January 1919.

In the United States the epidemic peaked from 1920 to 1924.[33] It is estimated that as many as one million people were diagnosed with Encephalitis Lethargica during the epidemic period.[25]

The pandemic disappeared in 1927, as abruptly and mysteriously as it first appeared.[32] The great encephalitis pandemic coincided with the 1918 influenza pandemic, and it is likely that the influenza virus potentiated the effects of the causative agent of the encephalitis or lowered resistance to it in a catastrophic way.[32]

Aftermath​

Many surviving patients of the 1915–1926 pandemic seemed to make a complete recovery and return to their normal lives. However, the majority of survivors subsequently developed neurological or psychiatric disorders, often after years or decades of seemingly perfect health. Post-encephalitic syndromes varied widely: sometimes they proceeded rapidly, leading to profound disability or death; sometimes very slowly; sometimes they progressed to a certain point and then stayed at this point for years or decades; and sometimes, following their initial onslaught, they remitted and disappeared.[34] It is also known to cause postencephalitic parkinsonism (PEP).[15] Though often thought of as a disease of the past, it is still seen in occasional cases today.[14]

I once briefly mentioned his book in a post somewhere. I first encountered it before there was an English translation through a YT video from a Greek reader explaining the main ideas. I was hooked by the mention of the "200", as in Gurdjieff's "200 conscious beings", and devoured it when it came out circa 2015. At the time I put together some quotes and a description but ended up never posting them. I'm looking through the files to see what I can salvage.

edit:
This is the original video that got me interested in the book.

Last edited:
Here is the main part of what I had collected. Apparently I began editing it at some point with the intention of replying to a quote by Pierre.
===

Which makes me wonder, although it might sound crazy, can focused consciousness of, say 200 collinear individuals, contribute the rise of FRV of our planet?

Some years ago I read a book that contains the idea of 200 individuals whose work eventually changes the future of humanity into a spiritual direction.

I was actually drawn to the book because years before I had heard a Greek speaker mention the "200" in a video (at the time there was no English translation), which obviously reminded me of Gurdjieff's "200 conscious beings".

It is allegedly the diary of a man who spent a year in the future while in a coma. My impression was that the author is truthful in that he is simply recounting what he experienced, real or imaginary.

The author, a Swiss-Austrian language teacher named Paul Amadeus Dienach suffered from encephalitis lethargica and entered into a year long coma in 1922 while teaching in Athens. During his coma he lived another life in the body of another man (Andreas Northam), but with his own consciousness, in the year 3096 AD. When he woke up from the coma he wrote a detailed diary about his experiences in the future.

Dienach died from tuberculosis in 1924 but first he gave his notes to his student, George Papachatzis, who translated them from German to Greek over a 14 year period. The book was kept under wraps in a mason lodge until the 70s, when it was published twice in Greek as Pages from a Diary and then The Valley of the Roses. The English translation is from 2015, titled Chronicles from the Future and edited by Achilleas Sirigos.

Being Dienach/Northam's diary, there's a lot about his romantic interest, the new friends he made and sightseeing, a lot of sightseeing. The more interesting comments about history, society, technology and spirituality are interspersed throughout the book.

To give a rough notion of the future he describes, the whole world lives in a technologically, morally and spiritually advanced universal commonwealth, a Global State of Law and Order where all speak the same language, a mix of English and Scandinavian. There is no criminality and nothing seems to be mandatory, everyone just behaves, do their duties and get along out of their own free will. People work for two years after finishing their studies and then can do whatever they want as institutions and technology provide for their needs. They live in extraordinary megacities.

The descriptions of the buildings and technology he sees and marvels at are sometimes reminiscent of descriptions of cities in 5D.

People relate in a much more benevolent way but are very much human, relationships don't always work out, some people just enjoy the good life while others dedicate their life to research and creative pursuits.

Dienach/Northam doesn't see that future as a perfect utopia. For instance, he dislikes the way children are educated to be afraid of our "prehistoric" times (1914 is considered the beginning of a new dark age) and he thinks the people of that future are too naive, that they could be easily taken advantage of.

I stop and observe their codes of behaviour. As Stefan explained to me, in this new world people are not strangers to each other. You talk to people you have never met open-heartedly, as if they are old friends; and they, in return, respond in the exact same way. They all have the same kind and relaxed attitude, the same naivety in their manners, the same benevolence, the same tact, the same warm camaraderie, as if they had all together attended a big, universal college in their childhood.
I talked to him about the wild scenes that they show to the children, scenes of war and of all the other incidents that had taken place before the Eldere, making them cringe in horror, and I told him that it was both unfair and unnecessary to traumatise children with such images.

Through books, discussions and technology akin to 3D screens and virtual reality he learns about the history that led to such a future, including overpopulation, racial and nuclear war.

“What happened to the ancient civilisations of Asia, you hypocrites?”That’s what I should ask them! On the Reigen-Swage I saw that only until the mid-24th century of our own chronology were there still some “yellow pockets” scattered here and therein the vast territory of Asia, which is now inhabited by the French, Anglo-Saxons, Slavs and Latinos. I also saw that at the same time on the “black continent” it was tremendously rare for one to encounter any blacks.

Fate was very cruel to these races and quite ironic as well, because while they had just ceased to be slaves and were emancipated politically in autonomous territories, the brutal attitude of their “old colonial oppressor”, who had meanwhile panicked by the “nightmare of the number,” returned to haunt them for another 150 years. The earth must have witnessed horrid atrocities of inhumanity after the 21st century, which lasted for hundreds of years. Ultimately, the black and yellow races, as well as all other races of Asia, paid the price with the termination of their own history on earth.
The fact that almost the entire globe is flooded with white people doesn’t surprise me as much as the fact that they’ve found the way for all these people to live and prosper to such an unexpected degree! That I could have sworn was impossible!

Most interesting is that there is a worldwide acknowledgement of metaphysical/spiritual reality through direct experience.

In their timeline, the 200 were the founders of the Valley of the Roses, a place dedicated to spiritual evolution and the cultivation of inner life. 488 years later a man named Alexis Volky is the first to see the Great Reality and survive. Chaos ensues as this new capacity, or antenna, spreads throughout the population. Things eventually calm down and humanity is forever changed. This marks the beginning of a new era and a new type of human.

This Great Reality they call the Samith, and this new capacity or antenna, an extension of the mind, they call Nibelvirch or Oversyn.

I've collected below quotes from different parts of the book that deal with these events and their consequences. The $ are just line number references from the converted file.

$1698 THE ESSENCE OF SAMITH AND “DIRECT KNOWLEDGE”
We were sitting far enough from other people that no one could hear us. Stefan kept silent for a minute, staring far into the open sea. He looked moved but he carried on. “We saw it and that explains the, unknown to the older generations, feeling of immense happiness that has filled our hearts since then. We saw it thanks to the Nibelvirch—the supreme Virch—after thousands of tormenting doubts, many tears, many moments of moral weakness and despair, and after being prepared for centuries by the Valley of the Roses. And you cannot say that Alexis Volky was some demi-god who was the only one that possessed and could convey all this wonderful direct knowledge. He was a mere mortal like the rest of us; only, before him, the Oversyn was something unknown to the world. He was the first one to withstand the ‘new vibration’ that had proven fatal to many others; he was the first survivor.”

Doctor Diseny started heading towards us right after Stefan had given his word that the next day he would bring me some books about the Nibelvirch, the Samith, Alexis Volky and the Oversyn. Oh God… I couldn’t believe all the incredible things I had just heard…

$1898 INFINITY, AFTERLIFE AND THE ORIGINS OF THE ETERNAL IMPULSE TO DO GOOD

14-X Again

(Late at night)

From yesterday's conversation with Stefan I saw why these people are concerned with the major “historic” cases of the least famous and low-profile altruist: unknown people who did not go down in history, such as convicts serving long sentences, who changed their inner world, or random parents with stories of incredible acts of sacrifice. People here believe that, although such acts haven’t been registered in the collective memory of mankind through history, once recorded, they are equally as important as any famous act and that they haven’t been lost.

Stefan told me that they had known about the sanctity of human suffering since the era of Christianity and that the Nibelvirch had simply helped them realise how significant this moral value was. I asked him his opinion of Christianity and he told me that it was a very comforting religion that worthily stood in for direct knowledge for thousands of years. His words made me feel very good and boosted my faith that had begun to falter with everything that I have seen since I woke up here.

“Not that we have now grasped the meaning of life. On the contrary; but even the fact that we know how indescribably great the reality objectively is, and the fact that we know it exists for everyone, sooner or later, is enough to free us and grant us salvation. The time-space continuum, you see, is not exactly as imagined by human perception. Infinity and the ever-present are one and the same. Objective reality is multi-dimensional. Numbers, matter, the spirit, individuals, ideas or infinity do not exist separately, but all together. If we could penetrate the true meaning of each of the aspects of the Samith, the Great Reality, then we would also feel God. We would be able to understand the purpose, texture and meaning of life. We would acquire a wisdom superior to that of humans. But that just can’t happen, my friend… Direct knowledge, the Nibelvirch, showed us that the physical universe, creation, God, infinity and all these notions, are mere aspects, mere sides of the Great Reality. And there is a multitude of other sides, inconceivable to humans.”

According to Stefan, after the Nibelvirch, man's attempt to reduce all phenomena of the world and life to a single "principle" has remarkably decreased. Now people see many aspects of reality as components of the Samith. He kept reiterating that only a small part of it can be sensed by our antennas. That’s as far as our “knowledge capabilities” go. “I know, my good friend, and you understand how much more difficult that makes my life. My own antennas are even smaller than yours”, I thought to myself.

I was, however, encouraged by the view that in the Great Reality nothing goes to waste and nothing is ever lost. Even if everything else is destroyed, our spirit will find a way to manifest itself—probably somewhere else—but what matters is that it will. Today, it is argued that the purpose of life is clearly the self-cultivation of the spirit— particularly for our species and for life on our planet—and that’s as far as humans can go. As Jaeger told me, man’s life purpose should be the steady upward course towards an increasingly spiritual culture. People will never understand the larger purposes of life, no matter what they do.

The big difference is that, nowadays, the anonymous hero, the martyr of everyday life is never forgotten and that’s because they understood the sanctity of human suffering: the acts of love for your fellow man, forgiveness, patience, sensitivity, compassion and self-sacrifice bring the person one step closer to the divine. In their eyes, inner man is a whole new world. And that’s because they believe that the real world lacks the secret of the almost symmetrical composition of the individual and the universe, the microcosm and the macrocosm, the aspect, that is, of the natural world, which is also one aspect of the Samith.

All this was not completely unfamiliar to me. I was surprised, though, by the fact that Stefan was talking in a way as if he weren’t another simple person like everyone else, but as if he were standing on the other side, on the side of the laws of creation. Anna inadvertently came to mind again, the memory of our last meeting on the hill with the windflowers.

“Stefan, it has happened to me before, in my normal life, to hear a person speaking the way you speak, as if standing higher on the human scale than the rest of us.”

He replied, almost offended, that he wasn’t speaking from a position of superiority, but it was just that the human standards were higher and more enlightened now than in my days. I fell silent…

“It’s alright. You don’t have to say anything if you do not wish to. What was the name of this “precursor” that you came across? If we go to the Valley you may see their statue along with the others.”

“No, no, she wasn’t famous... She was nothing but a noble existence that died young and unknown.”

This time we both stopped talking. Stefan was the first to break the silence. “Why are you so surprised by the way I think? After all that we have seen, how could we possibly think in the same old way that you did? Now we have a tangible reason to keep our soul more serene.”

I couldn’t help myself and said, “You mentioned before that nothing is ever lost. Did you see that too or is it just an assumption? What difference does it make for me how big reality is if I’m no longer here to see it? Tell me, Stefan, what did you see about the afterlife? Is there a better world beyond this one?”

“That’s how it used to be divided and defined, I know: the past, the present and the future. But we do not divide it like that anymore. Now we know that life is one as is the world; one entity, one essence. Reality is fluid and the environment of our life, including us, is a small subdivision of the Samith. Reality is everything, and nothing that exists in it can ever be lost; and this certainty, as I told you, this inclusion in the Samith, is sufficient to keep us away from all the pain and past doubts.”

He talked to me about the voluntary return to organic life, to fight again, to gain new experiences, to be challenged, to love, to hurt, to give ourselves unconditionally, to learn to do good, not because we have to but because we want to, because of an internal impulse.
With all this as our tools and guardians, we can accomplish our mission and shorten the road to our godlike destination. “To some extent, we create our own destiny,” he said verbatim, much like a theosophist of our time. He also talked to me about “the barrier of oblivion”, which isolates this life from the knowledge and recollection of former ones. He then asked me how it is possible to not have heard, in our time, any teachings or interpretations that even vaguely resembled the principles of Volkic knowledge. I told him that there were a few similar views and ideas on the subject, but they were relatively tentative and too weak to be heard outside of certain intellectual circles.

He respectfully spoke of the great figures of the past, whom he described as “precursors”. He mentioned the names of Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Jesus, several Eastern figures I do not remember, Plotinus, St. Augustine and Origen, Bacon, Descartes, Spinoza and Kant. From the 19th century he spoke of Engels and Kierkegaard, who are now considered among the greatest. Beyond that, he said the era of one-sided technological prosperity that followed and lasted for about five hundred years, created a climate that was not conducive to the emergence of great spiritual figures and teachings. The next names he mentioned were of some great intellectual minds of the Valley of the Roses and especially Chillerin from the Aidersen Institute.

I asked him again about the major differences between the new and the old knowledge—if what we had in our time could be called knowledge.

“The first difference,” he replied, “is the spreading of knowledge. The Volkic perception of the major issues of life and of the world is not only localised in the intelligentsia or certain ethnicities. The people of today are impregnated with this knowledge and they believe in it so much that it has become part of their everyday life.”

The truth is that I have observed several times that, even in their daily occupations, these people often incorporated principles from Volkic knowledge in a way that showed deep understanding.

“Then,” he continued, “it has to do with the way knowledge is transmitted. Thanks to the Nibelvirch we have access to direct knowledge, which is free of any external teachings. And last but not least, compared to the reality that revealed itself to us through the Oversyn, all that had been said in the past by the formerly great mystics of religion about disappearing in our own spirit and becoming aligned with the divine seemed like children’s words to us. We still honour them, of course, because they are the spiritual heritage of our ancestors. They had been alleviating human suffering until the Nibelvirch. Direct knowledge had to come for the comparison to be made and for the tremendous difference to show. Only the comparison to what really exists out there could demonstrate their childish naivety, and it did. But now, all this is only of historical significance.

Stefan stopped speaking for a few minutes, as if he were trying to remember what he had seen or read, trying to put his thoughts in order.

“That’s how everything revealed itself. And that explains that horrific hit of the Roisvirch that, if you saw it all at once without being prepared, it scared you to pieces and which, at first, was fatal to thousands of unprepared human hearts. This sudden and impetuous torrent of such unprecedented spiritual happiness was more that the human soul could endure. They say that older generations could not imagine and believe how much objectivity there is in what we call ‘spiritual worlds’. Back then, we thought that if the human race did not exist on Earth, then beauty, art, religion, poetry, philosophy and other moral values wouldn’t exist either.

He stressed again how metaphysical the spiritual sciences ultimately proved to be. “Just as the man watching the dust and stones could not imagine the true composition and structure of matter, so too the spiritual world is merged with the material world in a transcendent way. It’s just that our mind is too finite to comprehend it and our sensors are faulty. But this does not mean that it doesn’t exist.

He stopped talking again and concentrated on his thoughts. “Nibelvirch’s arrival brought to mind something similar that had happened in the past, concerning the awareness of the natural world. Two thousand years ago, around your own twentieth century, there was a boom in the natural sciences and their technical applications, a huge, unprecedented leap forward, within a very short period of time. One after another came the inventions, human knowledge was significantly upgraded and somehow the borders of the natural world expanded to an incredible extent. In a few decades’ time they came to understand that the earth was, in fact, a nothing in the middle of nowhere, instead of the centre of the universe as they had previously believed. Something similar happened with Volky—though not only regarding the natural world—and then we realised that the truth was completely different from the way theological tradition and the exact sciences presented it.”

I sat and watched him and thought about how much faith these people have in them, how much they believe, not in our time’s narrow-minded, absolute way but, instead, with an absolute certainty that what they’ve seen is right. I asked him whether he believed that people would have managed in some other way to obtain the knowledge they now have, without the Nibelvirch. He said that he seriously doubted it. He claimed that the gap between the knowledge of the past and that of the present was huge and the human mind couldn’t cover the distance by itself. But even if somebody managed to see it or learn about it and then tried to convince other people, they would find it impossible to believe. They would first have to break free from the selfish, anthropocentric mentality that clouded their judgment; and this mentality was very difficult to escape from.

“But how was it possible,” he wondered, “for men to believe that they and their planet, a dot in the universe, were the centre of everything? That they were ‘chosen’ by destiny among trillions of other stars, of other dots? Was it so hard to believe that, under any law of probability, there might be other major centres of intelligent life elsewhere, and that organic life and the famous ‘law of adaptation’ could exist in a million other worlds, older but more evolved both from a biological and an ethical perspective?”

“And how can this incredible greatness tolerate all this filth and injustice within it?” I asked.

“Precisely because it’s so big, it easily accepts such pettiness. The worst human evil doesn’t stand a chance before this blizzard of wonderfulness, trust me. Not to mention that this part, of sorrow and pain, directly related to our finite biological fate, gives us an element of reality, without which we would be incomplete.”

He then took some time to explain to me that, in the time of the first Nibelvirch and the Roisvirch that followed in the world, Volky himself stood up and raised his voice along with the other great men of the era, because they had faith in the desirability and necessity of this progressive form of existence, and their words, full of peace and hope, managed to calm down the crazed crowds and stop the stampedes and the onslaught of collective suicides.

But in no way could I comprehend and accept what he was telling me. It was inconceivable: how can something so extremely wonderful have a part of it steeped in pettiness, ugliness and evil, and still remain flawless?

He asked me if I had had a chance to read Tinersen’s book and I told him the truth: that I hadn’t. It was one of the books he had recently given me and I hadn’t managed to read it. The only thing I knew about this book was that it was approximately from the MCC century and that it was one of the hundreds of simplified and popularised books of Volkic Knowledge.

Once I replied negatively he started telling me an imaginary story, a kind of parable from the book. He told it simply so that I would understand it. And the story went like this:

Millions of small beings are born and die in a closed, dark, dirty place. This place, which for us humans is nothing other than the inside of a flute, is for these little creatures their whole world, their entire universe, their natural habitat and they don’t imagine that there might be something else outside of it. Suppose now that they are endowed with an element of intellect and are aware of the ugliness and darkness of their world. Their very brief lives—about seventeen human minutes—flow monotonously, generation after generation; it is a constricted life of endless boredom.

Every now and then, however, some extremely distant echoes of a harmony, which they never could have imagined existed, reach their weak sense organs. And in surprise, the small creatures wonder where such wonderful harmonies could be coming from.

With the passage of time, some of these creatures, their “spiritual leaders”, managed to see and feel that their dark prison was not everything and that their world was something minimal compared to the ‘whole’ that existed. Very few of these creatures saw and understood this at first and the rest of them considered the few crazy. But in the end, the existence of other worlds and realities became common knowledge and became a shared faith. These tiny little creatures finally realised that what really exists, objective reality, was far bigger than their dark world.

And according to Stefan, this is the most important point of the parable: “You explain to them that their natural environment is only a part of this Great Reality, this great harmony, and that it’s even essential for its completion,” writes Tinersen, “but it is impossible for them to believe it. They argue that there is nothing wonderful about this bit they live and this place they live it in and that it couldn’t possibly be part of such incredible beauty since it would spoil it.” These tiny creatures were unable to understand the meaning, purpose and mission of a life that is committed to the whole.

I’m thinking that these people have either reached a whole new level of knowledge and spirituality or they are in desperate need of a cure for their childlike gullibility. Nevertheless, I understand the joy and the incredible spiritual happiness that fills these people’s lives. As Stefan reminds me all the time: “We don’t just believe in it; we’ve seen it!”

Oh, how I envy them! How I wish that the Nibelvirch would come to me as well! Although I think that, no matter how strong my faith, I wouldn’t be able to keep that happiness pure and unadulterated in the face of this reality full of suffering.

This is only a small part of what Stefan told me that night. The fatigue and the late hour forced me to stop. Stefan was very patient with me and didn’t leave until a quarter to midnight. After he left I sank into my armchair. Once again, I had much to ponder; and once again, late at night, I got up and resumed writing…

$1986 THE WORK OF THE AIDERSEN INSTITUTE AND THE SUPERIOR INNER LIFE AS A PATHWAY TO HUMAN EVOLUTION

If I’m not mistaken, the theories and principles that spring from the Valley of the Roses, the wondrous Rosernes Dal, bear the stamp of a newfound spirituality, unprecedented in the entire modern civilisation, a stamp of superiority compared to those of their previous cultural peak. Especially the Aidersen Institute, also located in their spiritual capital, has global prestige and a unique influence throughout the world.

Remarkable progress in the human intellect had also been made in previous times by previous generations. However, none of them can compare to the major leap forward that the Aidersen Institute made regarding the spiritual and intellectual path of our species. Up until then, for thousands of years, all the historical achievements were in relation to the psycho-spiritual abilities of a certain type of man. That’s why, until the last years of the Eldere (their old era) the spiritual journey of man moved more or less along the same lines. From our intellectuals to their own, such as Runerborg from the Valley of the Roses, Lorffe Esterling of Aidersen and more importantly Chillerin, the greatest, by far, of the Aidersen institute, our species had not changed. Human intellect, despite the different “schools” and views, had always headed in the same direction, a direction which was defined by the bio-capacity of our species—our biological fate.

The great accomplishment of the Aidersen Institute was that it opened up new perspectives for intellectual human history and, after long preparation, endowed mankind with a new “antenna”, thus taking a decisive step towards the transformation of the old type of human being into a new, intellectually superior version.

It didn’t create a superhuman, of course, but it did give us a significantly “advanced human being”.
Thanks to the Aidersen Institute, Homo sapiens gave way to Homo Occidentalis Novus, the current "enlightened man" of the Nojere, the New Era(the Nojere started in 3382, on the 6th of September according to our calendar, which is when Volky survived the Nibelvirch. When the ascendance of Volkic Knowledge was complete circa 3430 AD, this day was labelled the “start of a new era in history”).

The Great Men of the Valley had said it from the very beginning of the Valley’s establishment, the very first centuries of its operation in the middle of the Eldere: the superior human being is not going to be given to us by the computers or the brains of technology. We can’t expect anything from the lifeless devices. If such an evolution ever occurs, they said, it won’t be due to or by means of technological progress. If humankind ever succeeds in surpassing its very nature, that can only be done through our inner cultivation. Only this could ever make us capable of experiencing a superior inner life. {{ This was allegedly written in 1922! }}

The noble and well-intentioned aspirations of these first great men were limited to this realisation. That’s as far as their ambitions went. They couldn’t see that there are vast realities, separate and unrelated to the human-inspired religions, worldviews, ideologies and discoveries; they had no idea about them. The new era, the Nojere, showed everyone that it wasn’t reasonable to consider man as a “small, earthly God”. True reality would exist regardless of the contribution of our own species.

I asked him if what we thought back in my day, that is, that in accordance to the anthropocentric version, humans, and more specifically their spirit, are the only species that regards both themselves and the entire universe as an object of observation. Everything else that exists in the natural world, whether animate or inanimate, is always the object of observation and never the subject.

“Do you not even acknowledge this?” I asked.

“Yes, we do. But the current philosophy considers this truth applicable only in the context of our planet, which, as you may have realised, is something minimal compared to the inhabited planets of cosmic space.”

So what do the Aidersians argue? They argue that true objective reality exists independently of the sensory capabilities of each species. Its existence became known to the people of Nojere thanks to the Nibelvirch when they felt direct knowledge coming not from the outside anymore, but from within, if we are to believe Jaeger, Stefan and the rest. Therefore, the Samith proved to have this indescribable greatness described in the Volkic preaching. Thus, the Oversyn, the “new antenna”, was acquired, and everything that seemed transcendental before, had now been proven to be within the grasp of human capabilities. The scope of the cognitive capabilities of humans expanded, something that allowed the Homo Occidentalis Novus to see the Samith and accept its existence.

As for the element of spirituality, it doesn’t only exist within humans. It is the wonderful fruit of long-term biological evolution, unrelated to natural forces. The acquisition of this element of spiritual entity is what unites millions of intelligent, rational and emotional beings in the universe. It’s what unites the gifted, by destiny, species that are separated by astronomical distances from one another and which, biologically speaking, differ enormously from one another due to the natural environments in which each developed over millions of years.

Thanks to this element of spirituality, these thinking species, including ours, escape the confines of the nature that surround them and, with the passage of time, gradually enter into other, higher stages of development.

They gave me an incredible description of our species in the depths of time; I felt as if the whole history of humankind flashed before my eyes like a film. At first, they said, we were a simple part of the fauna of this planet. Once we eradicated most of our animalistic instincts, inner life and external culture began to develop. This is when the self-consciousness that now separates us from “the rest of the fauna” made its appearance.

After several stages of biological and spiritual development, humankind began to be possessed by an intense feeling of living in a foreign environment, by an inner need to find answers to its origins, a need that proved to be the source of man’s greatest cultural and intellectual achievements. This thirst of the soul manifested itself through worshipping of invisible forces, capturing the secrets and laws of the physical world, depicting ideal beauty, imposing a moral order that regulates social life and through allowing justice, humanity, liberty and equality to prevail. They argue that the concepts of good defeating evil and morality defeating immorality are innate in humans. And the reason why people suffered was exactly because none of these “innate laws” was kept or respected. That’s why people so impulsively pursued the worldly forms of the Samith; in the finite environment people lived, they dreamed of the infinite...

And when the Nibelvirch came, everyone understood why. Everyone understood where all this nostalgia and faith in something much greater and brighter stemmed from. It explained all the struggle and sacrifices of thousands of people for purposes that had no practical usefulness for them whatsoever. In a nutshell, as I understood it, the source of all spiritual cultures in the history of the earth is none other than the metaphysical, human suffering, the deepest bitterness of the human soul caused by the absence of the Samith in our world. That’s how all the human achievements are interpreted nowadays: as efforts to overcome the barriers of physical nature and redeem the “real people” from this suffocating environment.

$3550 THE NIGHT OF THE “GRETLYS” (the Grand Light)

The events of the September that changed humanity and history

3-VI

That same evening Stefan told me, “From now on, don’t go to Lain’s for history classes any more. In order to be able to deeply experience and appreciate the dawn of the Nojere you need isolation, concentration and meditation. Make sure you revise all that you’ve learnt when you’re alone.”

I talked to him about the wild scenes that they show to the children, scenes of war and of all the other incidents that had taken place before the Eldere, making them cringe in horror, and I told him that it was both unfair and unnecessary to traumatise children with such images.

“War is not coming back,” I said. “Fifteen centuries have passed since the beginning of your historic era and this is the best guarantee that it will not come back! Times have definitively changed; war is something prehistoric!”

5-VI

Today I have dedicated myself and my day to meditating devoutly and attentively upon all the great things that my eyes were worthy of seeing last night. I’ve told everybody that I want to be alone all day. Never in my life have I felt such an excitement, or rather, such awe and holy thrill. Now I’m by myself, locked in my room, remembering it all and I praise God for giving me the opportunity to witness them in this life.

There are moments when I feel the need to fall on my knees and pray. Last night, around midnight, I found myself watching on the Reigen-Swage the great days of 986 (3382 AD) and couldn’t believe my fate that gave me, an insignificant worm of the 20th century, the unbelievable chance to see the dawn of the Nojere come alive before my eyes! I saw the holy deaths of that September in the Valley, Alexis Volky before me in the midst of the Great Moment, the torrent of the Roisvirch that followed and all the major incidents that shortly thereafter opened new pages in the history and spiritual life of those times.

I sit in my armchair, thinking about all that with tear-filled eyes, full of gratitude.

I wonder what power could ever be so powerful as to shed such an unearthly light on those white faces! What was that exquisite thing that those people saw in their last moment on this earth that was so inaccessible to our eyes? They say that all those men and women who suffered the “sacred blows from the unbearable light” those first six days in the Valley of the Roses were beings of significant inner beauty and nobility. Who could have imagined that even their outward appearance would have been beautified, as if all the magnificence of their souls had suddenly spilled over to their faces? And almost all faces there were young. I looked at them one by one. Something like ecstasy and triumph was drawn on each of them. Why do today’s people say that they succumbed? I witnessed quite the opposite: every single person there looked as if they had been transformed into the personification of victory, as if they had suddenly been called upon by God!

After all the sudden deaths in the beginning, nothing foreshadowed the glorious things that the future held. Life in the pre-Roisvirch Valley flowed peacefully and institutions were increasing and flourishing but, no matter how satisfactory the fruits of long-term reflection and meditation and the findings of thousands of institutes and research centres were, it had never crossed anyone’s mind that such an incredible intellectual achievement would ever be a possibility. Even though almost five centuries of self-cultivation and inner development of the intellect and the personality—through many generations of fine anchorites—were about to be completed, it still seemed like a miracle!

And the era did not seem to conceal any particular Messianic needs, nor were there any preconditions in the world for the emergence of this kind of group psychology. On the contrary: people lived happily in every corner of the world around that time, with security, law and order, political organisation and stability, sufficiency of goods and comforts, and with moral and psychological balance.

The incredible boom in literature, arts and intellect, which were engraved in people’s minds as “the golden age of intellectual and spiritual culture”, had only just happened a century ago, in their great 9th century. People still breathed that fresh air of the great and newfound period of prosperity and had incorporated all its creations into their own lives. Anything but a crisis of morals and collective distress prevailed in the world.

And yet, in the midst of such a completely balanced and genial atmosphere, one of the first days of September, the outside world suddenly discovered that peculiar incidents were taking place in the Valley, incidents whose importance could not be explained, but which would, however, go down in history as earth-shattering—if it was, in fact, proven that their content and meaning was actually what many big names of the Valley believed them to be.

Thirty-six hours before the Gretlys and the survival of Alexis Volky, four similar incidents occurred outside the Valley of the Roses, in locations far away from each other: one in Lesley Gate, one in the Balearic and two in the North Sea. People turned to God then and began to pray in groups, leaving all of their other jobs and responsibilities!

That reminded me of the times when, every now and then, the approaching of a comet threatened to destroy life as we knew it and everyone sought solace in religion. But this time it was not the fear of death that caused this anxiety in people around the globe. A secret hope had arisen, a hope for some sort of an imminent enlightenment, the discovery of a great secret, completely distinct from the natural world, which was the object of study for the exact sciences.

Nobody could tell what really happened then. Did it have anything to do with what some wise men later claimed, namely, that some unknown, but at the same time friendly superhuman beings from far, far away, had shed their beneficial light over our land? Nobody could say with certainty. Most people didn’t want to accept in any way the existence of such external and alien spiritual forces, limiting themselves to commemorating the “200” and repeating the names of Miliotkin, Joel Letonen and Gunnar Nelbarn, the leaders of the first anchorites, the pioneers and settlers who, 486 years ago, were the initiators and founders of the Valley of Roses. They say that the Aidersen Institute “took over” from the descendants of the “200”.

During the nights that followed, most of the people throughout the world stayed awake. The bells constantly tolled, calling people to prepare for what was coming.

Inside the Valley now, multitudes of people spent days and nights in the parks and squares of the immense campuses of the Aidersen Institute. In fact, not only were they not giving up, as fatigue must have worn them down, but the crowds were only growing in size after the Gretlys from September 7 and onwards. For more than 250 years now, this famous institute with the global reputation has been the only one to provide moral and emotional support to the people of a time when the masses were resting in the bliss of ignorance and considered the thirst for metaphysical quest a tyranny, a thirst that in earlier times was considered an honour and a privilege of only a few, handpicked spiritual figures.

Billions of people around the world had put their spiritual hopes in the great wise men who were housed in that glorious city – the Institute. There, in the Aidersen Institute, among the high ceilings of the large central palace, in the auditoriums, next to the semi-circular cluster of statues and accompanied by the venerable figures of the old tradition, those of Pythagoras, Plotinus and Kant, that of Blaise Pascal, Socrates, Plato and Maeterlinck, of Riset, Gustavsen, Rasmathy, Plioskin and so many others, the great Chillerin had spent most of his life, entering the Aidersen as an apprentice from a very young age in the early 9th century, there, in those auditoriums, where he later taught…

Chillerin himself believed that regardless of the finite nature of human knowledge, humans had neither tried hard enough, nor had they selected the right methodology for knowledge acquisition in the past. He didn’t have anything specific to say yet, but he did have faith in people’s ability to resolve the great mysteries of the world, despite the imperfection of the mind and senses, and he believed that the day when they would finally arrive wasn’t far away.

Whilst thinking about all this, I’m now watching on the Reigen-Swage the Aidersen Institute, staying alert during those long nights, with thousands of people surrounding it on their knees, keeping a vigil all over the campus, waiting for their spiritual leaders—Chillerin’s great grandchildren—to emerge with an answer, an explanation of what was going on, but in vain, for they were not yet in a position to give any.

Inside the vast hall: a crowd of sleepless, overworked and upset wise men, dressed in the official Aidersian garment with the blue stripe on it, the stoat and the insignia. The whole Aidersen was in a state of confusion and distress and plenty of other people from smaller yet related institutes kept arriving, even from the other side of the Valley! The meetings were continuous and successive but without any positive result so far. Even the wise men of the Aidersen themselves were waiting to be informed about what had just happened from those coming from outside.

Yes! Things have finally started to become clearer now and many of them speak of some sort of an incredible reward. The emergence of a new, unprecedented Virch had now vaguely become the centre of discussion and the name of the elder Alexis Volky, their old peer who had definitively left the Aidersen Institute several years ago and had gone to become a monk, was whispered in the circles of the wise men with much respect over the next few days. No one had made contact with him yet. The only thing they had done is to make the selection of the ambassadors that would be sent to him. They did not even know where exactly in the vast Valley lay the secret retreat where the venerable Elder had withdrawn after “what he saw”, spending his days and nights fasting, meditating and praying.

While the crowds waited in devoutness outside, inside, the wise men with their gaze lowered before the busts of their predecessors, the Lorffes and Ilectors, and with their faces buried in countless piles of miniature books that contained the crystallisation of the all the intellect of the entire human history, carried on discussing and deliberating feverishly. But still no results…

5-VI

(Late at night)

“But God chose what is foolish in the world
to shame the wise”

The Nibelvirches had begun to multiply and become more frequent both in the Valley of the Roses and in distant countries, and almost none were fatal after the survival of Alexis Volky. His cry of ecstasy and his subsequent peaceful sermon, which, as the days went by, encouraged other triumphant voices and individual spirits to speak up. But the crowds only recognised and trusted the Aidersen Institute. That’s what they had learned to respect and listen to through a long tradition passed from father to child and that’s where they had laid the hopes of centuries! But the Aidersen remained silent and cautious. And it would stay that way for weeks to come.

6-VI

Nowadays the entire holy place is unfenced. I saw it in the Swage. A simple string of white marble, sculpted into small rectangular rings, shields it from careless missteps. Even a child could jump over it if one wanted to. But no one crosses.

How many times had Jaeger and Stefan talked to me about this place and with how much emotion! I clearly see Volky’s student Mary-Lea sitting on the stairs at the feet of the great Master, hurt, and now destined for the Beyond, away from the ugliness of this life. You can see her crying with joy. She doesn’t hide her face; she keeps her head up instead, as if in the midst of ecstasy and inspiration.

You see the old man standing upright and motionless, with his head up, staring at the vast state. It looks like a white vision. The ecstasy, the awe and the “holy horror” of the first moments are engraved on his face and have left a trace of light, a glow beyond description on it. He is no longer trembling and you can clearly see how he is now, a master of his own emotion. He knows there is no reason to boast; it just happened that out of all people, he proved to be the most prepared. That’s all… He’s just another one of us, with the exception that he was able to withstand this “sudden stroke of light”, because for him it wasn’t so sudden. The “exquisite divine spark” had hit on real rock this time!

Always upright and stiff, he looks towards the horizon while a tear rolls down his pale, ascetic face. I wonder what he’s thinking… Is he seeing the dawn of the new spiritual day down there on the horizon? Or is he thinking about the past and pondering the incredible outcome of the history of mankind?

You see, he had spent his whole life in the Aidersen Institute since he was a young child. He had had made the dreams of his ancestors and Chillerin’s promise his own, and he cared for them deeply…
$3626

$3658 THE JUDGEMENT OF THE AIDERSEN INSTITUTE

A new beginning

On one of the last days of September—when it was finally clear that facts had spoken for themselves—the Aidersen Institute broke its silence. The Institute with the unique global prestige reminded people how, about fourteen thousand years ago, man had managed to become a small God in study of the physical world and the relevant technical applications and, for the first time ever, created a star through the processes of “fusion and division”. What was happening now was as “divine” as that scientific and technological breakthrough that had occurred back then, only now it concerned every aspect of life! Again like a small god, man was finally able to tear away the veil of the “Big Secret” and see what was behind it.

What followed? We already know. It was meant for this generation to realise the dream of thousands of years and generations ago and for man to climb high up on the top of the Valley and finally “see”. They said that Alexis Volky was the first “chosen one” but that hundreds of others followed the year after, and thousands more the year after that. And that’s how now people know. They don’t just believe anymore; they’ve seen it, they know!

“The Nibelvirch had to come,” said Arald, another Aidersian, a month later, “in order for the true quality, content and meaning of the other Birches to clearly show and shine!”

After people realised what had just happened, some praised God for having been born in this era and being part of this holy generation and others praised Volky for having endured so much and having paved the way for the rest of humanity..

In the beginning and for a considerable period of time, people from all over the world had neglected their jobs and had almost completely given up on all worldly matters and concerns. They were still unable to handle what had happened; they just didn’t know how yet.

$3678 MASS SUICIDES AND THE PURPOSE OF LIFE

9-VI

Over the coming months Volky and the other great men of the Aidersen felt the need to stop once and for all the “mass exodus” that followed, because they found themselves in front of hundreds and then thousands of cases of people whose motive for life had subsided and what had now replaced it was a new impulse, that of “desertion” and “escape”, which most often manifested itself in people as a consequence of the Nibelvirch.

This new impulse had emerged together with the incredible feelings of happiness, spiritual peace, a kind of divine joy and a nearly “Socratic” conciliation with death but it had also brought with it a disregard for all worldly things, which now felt insignificant to people, foreign and unworthy peoples’ concern.

What they could not handle was not the daily routine, the realities and the small joys and sorrows of life; it was that all their dreams, loves, loved ones that were no longer by their side, the happiest moments of their lives, things that they used to think of as mere memories, had now been condensed into an incredible force that had come back to haunt them.

There came days in 986 and 987 (3382 and 3383 AD) when the spiritual leadership of the planet was seriously concerned whether this “early psychological and spiritual maturity”, this leap in biological evolution and spiritual progress, had come at a good time, and whether the Valley’s centuries-long project would have unpleasant consequences as well. Almost everyone had proven far from being prepared, even the Ilectors, with the only exception of a few hundred imperturbable elders, followers of Volky.

Creation, with wise foresight, had successfully hidden its secrets from man, with great zeal and for thousands of years. They recalled that the first two centuries of the Valley many of them were against this enormous spiritual task and strongly insisted on putting an end to the special effort to achieve an advanced spiritual culture and create an intellectually superior man. In short, they wanted to say: This is how things are and they are fine the way they are; let them evolve at their own pace and don’t rush them because God knows what any action that accelerates the natural process may awaken…

The solution they came up with in order to stop the “mass exodus” was to highlight the purposefulness and necessity of every stage in human life on earth, including the one they were going through at the time. They convinced people that even that tough phase was a small but essential part of the Samith and it was their duty to go through that too. They told them that “we all come to this life with a purpose: to love much and give a piece of ourselves to others, even if that causes us pain, to be thirsty for the beautiful and the true, to get to know the worldly wonders of nature and help the weakest creatures, and to leave this life when our time comes and not before like deserters.

They stressed that what they saw should in no case be linked to the termination of life on earth. On the contrary. They told them that the purpose is for life to go on and take an upward course, each time getting one step closer to perfection, to the truth! “If we become extinct, how is this upward course going to continue? Will you deprive the next generations of your own species of the chance to one day compare themselves to our generation and feel as proud of their progress as we feel today, compared to our ancestors? We are the indispensable link between the past and the future. We are the present and we must not be lost!”

Alongside this argument, commands were given by the Valley for immediate plans that would result in an even better organisation of society, a society that would give its members new life incentives. Major infrastructural projects were initiated, research for new inventions was announced, new institutions were established and better associations were created almost in all areas of social life. Even pan-European music festivals were organised, which served as a distraction, stimulating people’s interest in life again.

10-VI

All this persistent campaign resulted in a considerable mitigation of the aforementioned escape impulse and in a decrease in the numbers of such incidents. As it was expected, they failed to completely eliminate them during the first year. In fact the Aidersen later said: “It is very difficult to keep those who are dying of thirst from running straight towards a well when one appears before them.”

They were right. Because what did people have until then? What did they live on? They lived on little drops of water that evaporated very quickly. However, despite the difficulties faced the following year, the problem gradually subsided until it was completely eliminated. It didn’t happen all at once—it couldn’t have—but step by step. The world returned to a normal pace of life, but everyone had kept deep inside their soul the memory of what was later to be characterised as “the most important moment of the spiritual progress of mankind.”

By that time, of course, all of their questions had been resolved and everything had an explanation: the “sense of living in a foreign land”, the “thirst for the eternal”, the “feeling of deprivation”. The Nibelvirch had shown people where it all came from.

11-VI

From the early 987 and up until now, the Valley has been studying the classics with a new, unprecedented zeal. Everything has acquired a new meaning: from Socrates and Plato to Confucius, Siddhartha Gautama and Jesus. Even the conception of infinity, the incorruptible, the contrast between the present and eternity had become subject to re-evaluation. No one spoke of the “struggle of man against his fate” anymore. No one spoke of the “conflict between the individual and the world” either.

In fact, about the suicides of past times they now say that their cause was neither the “pain of love” nor the “excessive sensitivity.” The reason was “the sacred thirst of soul and the longing for the Samith.”

$4454 THE VOLKIES - The story of the first “200” and the early years of Alexis Volky

16-VII

This morning we found ourselves in Nayatana again and later in the Pantheon, more or less in the same places as yesterday. After going down an anonymous pebblestone street, we ended up in the long paths of Labejona and the orangery. Everything has been preserved exactly as it was 525 ago, in the exact same state and in the exact same place. This is where Alexis Volky walked around as a child.

The first Volkies were of Slavic origin. In fact, their great ancestor was among the “200” who founded the Valley. Much later, after the year 700, three of Volky’s direct ancestors married French and Scandinavian women hence the mixed origins.

Initially those first Polish and Ukrainian families were settled in another region, in the northern outskirts of the Valley, but according to history books, after the 6th century (circa 3000 AD), they moved to this area. They were pious, frugal, kind and enlightened people, who dedicated themselves mostly to fruit growing and crafts and in their free time lived a practically monastic life and in many cases ascetic, with a strong inclination towards spiritual meditation and reflection. They lived like that for hundreds of years; their lifestyle became a family tradition that was passed down from generation to generation.

Here in the Valley you will encounter many famous names that date back to the 6th century and have a long tradition in meditation and inner life cultivation, hence the dynasties of the Chillerins, the Volkies, the Royalsens, the Borges and many others that have passed through the Aidersen Institute. They could probably be paralleled to our own Curie and Strauss dynasties of the 19th and early 20th century.

Throughout his adolescence, Alexis used to choose his extracurricular books by himself. He was inclined towards spiritual communication; he was seeking some sort of “companionship” with the spiritual treasures of the past that had preceded him and thus escaped him. Those wise men “spoke” to him, but the adolescent weighed their words very carefully; he didn’t agree with everything they had to say…

$4492
In 927, shortly before noon on New Year’s Eve, while Alexis [Volky] was taking a walk with his father Eugene among the orange trees, and they were reviewing their year, the young man said, among other things, that he believed in a “possible identification of the path of knowledge and the path of love” and he talked about “a point where they converge, a point lost in the abstraction of nature and creation, something that the human mind cannot grasp.” The proud father listened with rapture and a secret anticipation arose in him…
And the truth is that, between the ages of 19 and 22, Alexis seemed to be one of those fine souls who depart this life too soon to get where they truly belong faster. And yet this did not happen. He was not meant to die young. He was meant to grow old and grey and give to the people that he so much loved the greatest spiritual gift in the history of humanity!

“He was neither a God nor a prophet,” said Stefan, “and yet he was the chosen one to see things divine and eternal and show them to his equals.” And he continued, “He didn’t prophesise the future, but he did see and show the things that always have and always will remain unchanged and untouched since the beginning of time and he proved to people just how much they had overestimated not only the findings of science, but also the spiritual potential of their ‘antennas’. He saw, not with his physical eyes, but with the eyes of his heart, and taught in such a way that nobody ever asked for evidence or doubted him. Because what he showed people, what he taught them, was one of these things that can’t be proven empirically, like God or love… In order for someone to understand it, a whole different path must be taken and a whole different level of faith must be attained…”

I recall what Lain told me one day: “The further people remove themselves from such values, the harder it becomes for them to one day find a way to comprehend them. If you forget it, it will forget you.”

From what I understood, the path that leads to the understanding of these things has to do with the inner evolution of our biological species. It is a path that was completely inexistent in my era—the era of one-sided science and technology—a path that could have only been paved by those insightful and visionary men and women of the Aidersen Institute, which is exactly what happened, around the year 790 of their chronology.

The chronological table presented at the end of the book.

CHRONOLOGICAL TABLE

2204 AD: Colonization of Mars (the colony thrives for sixty years before it is totally destroyed killing twenty million people)

2309 AD: Medium scale nuclear war destroys most of Europe except Scandinavian and Baltic countries

2320 AD-2350 AD: Repopulation of Europe. Peaceful settlement of Northern populations to Mediterranean Sea

2394 AD: Final European Constituent Assembly

2395 AD: Final World Constituent Assembly

2396 AD (YEAR 1): Official Establishment of the “Retsstat” (a world nation with law and order). End of “Prehistory” and beginning of “Historical Era”. Year ONE of the new chronology. The first 986 years (2396 AD-3382 AD) was the ancient period of history (gammel epoke). From 3382 AD, when the Volkic preaching was of global consensus, begins the new era and the new man, “Homo Occidentalis Novus”, succeeds Homo Sapiens.

2596 AD (YEAR 200): The top scientists from around the world are now the new world leaders, responsible for all global governmental actions. At the beginning they were given the order by politicians with global influence, like John Terring.

2823ad (YEAR 427): Leader Torhild asks symbolically if there is an adequacy (in fact, total global adequacy) in the “distributions” of every industrial good. There is adequacy, now every person has what he needs.

2846 AD (YEAR 450): The city of Norfor begins operating as a Global Spiritual Life Centre

2894 AD (YEAR 498): The “Beginning of the 200 Hundred” and the building of Rosernes Dal (Valley of Roses)

3000 AD (7th Century): The New Renaissance in spiritual Values.

3100 AD (8th Century): The Renaissance goes on.

3126 AD (YEAR 730): Establishment of the Aidersen Institute at Rosernes Dal

3200 AD (9th Century): The “Golden Age” for arts and spiritual achievements.

3226 AD (YEAR 830): Aloisius Nilson predicts the upcoming rise of the “Spiritual Civilisation”

3253 AD (YEAR 857): The greatest poet of all, Larsen, dies and passes to immortality…

3256 AD (YEAR 860): Valmandel’s Oratorium “Praying between the Golden Spheres of the Stars” is heard for the first time. It is the best piece of ever written.

3273 AD (YEAR 876): Architect Alicia Neville finishes her masterpiece: the “Temple of Peace and Love” at Rosernes Dal

3307 AD (YEAR 911): Birth of Alexis Volky.

3382 AD (YEAR 986): On 6th of our September Alexis Volky is hit by the “Nibelvirch” and survives. Instant Enlightenment. A new “antenna” of perception is added to the human brain thanks to Nibelvirch. It is called: “Oversynssans” (supervision). This day (our 6th of September) was later announced as the first day of the NEW ERA (Ny Epoke).

3392 AD (YEAR 996): Alexis Volky dies at the age of 86.

3396 AD (YEAR 1000): Crisis of the Volkic preaching

3410 AD (YEAR 1014): Ruthemir’s masterpiece “Glorifying Service” is played for the first time

3546 AD (YEAR 1050): Final prevalence of the Volkic Ideal as “consensus gentium”.

3482 AD (YEAR 1086): The first Blue Roses (roses that physically radiate blue light). The masterpiece of gardening by Costia Rodulof.

3600 AD (13th Century): Tinersen and his “parables”.

3905 AD -3906 AD (YEAR 1509 and 1510): Andreas Northam writes his “Diary Pages”. He will have vivid memories of pre-existence for a period of twelve months, before he dies at the age of 29.

Although now out of order with former posts, I also found some quotes from the preface but they lacked context. Since it is not too long, here it is in its enterity divided into two posts.

TRANSLATOR’S PREFACE TO THE FIRST EDITION (1972) OF THE VALLEY OF THE ROSES

(Pre-introductory and Critical Note, a kind of Preface, to Dienach’s published remnants. It was written six years prior to the first edition of The Valley of the Roses [1972]).

Dienach’s “Chronicles From The Future” (“Pages from a Diary” was the original title of the first edition) offers the essence of the cultural development of Western Europeans in the distant future. More specifically, here, right after Dienach’s “First” and “Second Diary”, the continuation of Western civilization’s history, from the 21st century onwards, is illustrated over a long period of time. Outwardly, however, these prophetic manuscripts are very simple in form: they appear to be passages of travel fiction, a time travel to the countries of our continent, to those distant future times, a panoramic view of social and spiritual life, within that distant future cultural development—pieces of a vivid and real life as seen and known by the author, who hereby narrates it as a traveller-narrator. It was, he says, his own fate that his life be bound, as he writes, with one of the rarest meta-psychic and spiritualistic phenomena. It was thanks to this that he managed to experience all he describes.

Paul Amadeus Dienach left neither a name nor, most probably, the slightest publication in his homeland. In autumn 1922, he arrived from central Europe in Athens and later on, in winter, started tutoring students of limited financial means in foreign languages, namely French and German for a small fee. Having spent, as he said, his childhood in one of the various districts of Zurich, where his parents had settled after his birth, he went on to spend his adolescence in a village, close to this big cultural hub of Germanic-speaking countries. Afterwards, he pursued humanistic studies, with a particular flair for history of civilisation and classical studies.

In 1906, he briefly worked as a teacher, in a private school most likely, perhaps in one of the towns surrounding Zurich. Being of weak and delicate constitution—he had the appearance of an intellectual—he travelled, though rarely and as much as he could afford, to the West and South. Of his travels to Paris and Rome, I gather he has written about it somewhere in his manuscripts.

I remember his deep affection for his mother, who appears to have been a saintly woman from all that he told me and, above all, a wonderful mother. When I met him, she had already passed away.

As he was leaving the manuscripts in my care, he had called me “his most appreciated one in his small circle of students” and I remember him using the phrase “my young friend”. It is nothing but obvious that feelings of loneliness and desolation flooded his soul at the time of writing the note. None of his family was left. At some other point, he had told me: “He who has not experienced isolation cannot know its meaning.”

He passed away, I gather, in the Athenian suburb of Maroussi or perhaps on his way back to his homeland, through Italy, in some town of our neighbouring peninsula, most probably during the first six months of 1924, after suffering an attack of tuberculosis, which manifested in Athens and did not last but a few months. Over the course of my twelve recent summer trips to Zurich, from 1952 to 1966, I did not manage to locate his relatives or other traces of the Dienach family. Maybe, however, he has distant relatives of the new generation on the outskirts. It could be, nevertheless, that the young anti-Hitler reserve officer of the German Occupation army was right—I shall write about his version further down, at the end of this pre-introductory note—that my teacher “suffered from the complex of his people’s guilt” of the imperial era. In this last case, one would search in vain outside the German ethnicity to find him based on a “borrowed” surname.

Had Paul Amadeus happened to be born in the Indies, he would have expressed himself without a second thought. He would have talked, even as early as 1922, about his two lives, the self-cognisance of the ego, the reminiscences of incomparable richness, his other existence, which had developed in such different periods. However, Dienach was born a European, a Central European in fact, the offspring of a highly educated German-speaking Swiss man and his Salzburgian exceptional mother. He was always careful with his words, cautious not to let slip things that went beyond rationality and scientific, cognitive thinking. He strongly believed, all the same, in a spiritual element of an undefined nature in man, which eludes the law of biological decay, surpassing the barriers of time and space. He believed this was true not only for our own biological species, at least in the finest cases of individuals, but also in a variety of superior species of beings endowed with thought, language and feelings, with emotional wealth he meant to say, on millions of planets, unknown to us for the time being. It is thanks to this, Dienach says, that cultivated man, individuality enriched with values of inner culture, rises above confined and cruel biological fate. It is thanks to this element, which could be, as he said, much different from the one-sided view of the soul-unit of religious faith or other established spiritual preachings and convictions, that free spirit continues to exist unfettered by the law of biological evolution and decay. Regarding the course of the individual’s spiritual being, the time-space continuum is not an obstacle—he saw it and he lived it—as he writes in his manuscripts.

“It was only in the field of celestial mechanics and generally of research of the natural universe that we humans managed to become Copernicans,” I remember him telling me when he talked to me about the course of the human spirit through the centuries. “Our entire philosophy and our worldview continue to be Ptolemaic: geocentric and anthropocentric.”

He would often speak of the triple blinders of time, space and biological species—the finite, that is, cognitive sensors, inherent spiritual abilities and knowledge potential of the human-receiver—which prevent us from acquiring a superior perception and view of the world and life. At the same time, he believed—something quite astounding given the times—in the possibility of a future expansion of the limits of the worlds of existing things, the worlds of Being.

He often talked about a majority of spiritual civilisations and a parallel upward course of myriads of biological species within the cosmos, of myriads of species of rational beings existing on a large number of golden celestial spheres, about a progress and evolution of a moral rather than a technological nature. He would not concede that our planet is the only inhabited celestial body or that our biological species is unique, the crown of Creation. He disapproved of excessive technological development and the forms of techno-economic societies, considering them of secondary importance, and believed that what mainly served the great purposes of Creation was the elevation by means of noble pain, abnegation, kindness, love, self-sacrifice—inner cultivation in general.

However, he had never talked about the rare fate of his private life—so much rarer in our European, geographical and intellectual sphere. Neither had he told me much about the content of his manuscripts, which he had decided to send me upon leaving. He had given me quite a few pages and I had read them while he was still alive, causing me to experience an indescribable thirst to read these manuscripts. Nonetheless, when he spoke, the many wonderful things he talked about seemed to be his deepest beliefs, but not experiences he had truly lived.

Up to the day I lost track of him, I recall that he did not strike me as a type of mystic, endowed with elements of the exceptional or the supernatural. He appeared to be a very cautious, careful and reserved Western European, a restless philosophical spirit of the 20th century, like the “next century’s Faust”, but without the latter’s versatile education; Dienach seemed to be a simple educator, who had, however, burning questions, with that longing of the heart that honours the human race. He possessed an irresistible longing in an age of materialism and pragmatism, which the final decades of the 19th century had passed down to the first decades of the 20th. It was perhaps in this intellectual clime, where he was born, raised and became a man, in this exact context of intellect and scientific perception of the world where his education lay. It was perhaps precisely to this that he owed his great hesitance and cautiousness about even hinting at anything that lay beyond what was established, what was accepted on the basis of rationality or facts of the positive sciences.

Ever since the day the handwritten translation of his manuscripts resurfaced, his distant remembrance returned unintentionally and insistently occupied my thoughts. This time, I took the final decision to have them published as soon as I saw them emerge from the old drawer one morning while looking for something else. Among them, I also discovered with some excitement some favourite yellowed letters and a notebook with notes from when I used to study along with other students whom I remember fondly.

A strange thing happened to me with Dienach: in those days of old, he was for me just an acquaintance of a few months. My carefree spirit at the time and, besides, the big age difference would not allow for a bond to develop between us worthy of being called friendship. But the more years went by, the more I realised that, when leaving for Italy in 1924—going there to die—Dienach had bequeathed a huge part of his soul to me. Thus, my spiritual connection with him flourished upon his death. A simple earlier acquaintance with this man of unique and unprecedented personal fate in life slowly became compassion and friendship over time.

As I later understood, he had formed the impression that from our entire group, a lively bunch of young students, I had somehow treated him better. The truth is I found him less boring that the rest did and, besides, I had set my mind on learning a foreign language at the time. Therefore, it is not strange that we happened to spend entire evenings together talking about all sorts of things. I shall always remember that cautiousness in his words as I mentioned before, even though he liked to exchange views with me—more than with the rest—on various philosophical and historical issues.

During the first years after his death, every time I read his manuscripts—I had since started translating them as best as I could and that was the case from 1926 to 1940—I would always say to myself: “Look, Dienach was set on writing literature. He attempted to portray a mentally ill character and by inventing a myth, a plot, he found the way to write his own ideas on all sorts of things.”

At the time, I was infused with scepticism, something very common for students of my time. I refused to believe anything defying the accepted laws of nature. I actually remember finding that religiousness flooding Dienach’s thinking, evident in the pages of his Diary, somehow exaggerated. As time went by, I realised how little we humans know of these laws and how thoughtless it would be to entirely exclude phenomena regarding psychological functions that defy the ordinary, rare as they may be.

But even more so, the more years went by, the better I pondered on some incidents from the time of my acquaintance with Dienach, some of his reserved words, which only now could truly interpret. In this way, my conviction that all these manuscripts written by a dead man, the sad man with the deep-set eyes who seemed so tedious to the rest of us—as one companion of ours had said not entirely unfairly one day—was actually his Diary. I have now come to believe that this man, who was probably not highly educated or intelligent, this practically unemployed man in his final years, who was neither a craftsman of language, as is evident from his manuscripts (futile were the translator’s efforts to simplify the style in some cases, without betraying the meaning; to present the phrase less presumptuous and not so brightly coloured and ornate with all kinds of adjectives—as Dienach was given to waxing lyrical quite often, which he actually admits somewhere in his manuscripts), nor had professed having any other job in his homeland, apart from teaching, did not write of figments of his own imagination and nor could he have all those things he wrote about within him. He did nothing but narrate what happened in his life and what was meant for him to see and live by a strange turn of events.

One more thing: Dienach did not invent a mentally ill character, but was ill himself, even before the attack of tuberculosis, I mean to say. He was an aloof and whiny hypochondriac, to say the least—notice his never-ending complaining in his writings—and hypersensitive almost to a pathological degree. He did not wish to speak of his two past illnesses (in 1917 and 1921-1922). Still, I recall him vaguely telling me at some point that “lethargic sleep is not an enigma for science anymore” and that “this reaction of the neuro-psychological system, this defence mechanism can be beneficial at times when neural cells are overcharged. It contributes to regulating their alternating current flow and protects them from impending collapse”. In either case, had it not been for his illness, he would not have encountered such fate in his life, which nowadays astounds us.

Who, indeed, could have predicted that this man’s illness would take such an incredible and unique turn? Much has been said about the unknown powers hidden within the human soul. It is true that we are unaware of thousands of things that exist and that thousands of things happen around us about which we are clueless. Nevertheless, who would ever speak of such potential of the human psychodynamics that resembles a miracle? Of course, this does not mean every emotionally overloaded psychological state bears such incredible potential, as was Dienach’s case. However, certain similar states—few among the many—may appear to lead to such parapsychic (or metapsychic) wanderings, as was the case of the spirit of these manuscripts’ author.

I recall that in 1923 we only saw Dienach as a man whose life was crushed by incurable sadness. Back in those days, the phrase “some great love affair” would frivolously come to our smiling and slightly sarcastic lips. Indeed, the writings in his “First Notebook” show that he was a man who had failed at his job and ended up being good at nothing in life due to his morbid predisposition of the incurable romantic and his unfortunate love affair (See e.g. Dec. 6, 1918 [First Edition]: I was telling myself to be strong, pull myself together and go out—but I couldn’t. Jan 17, 1919 [First Edition]: I feel guilty towards my mother, etc.). That exaggerated purple prose and those repetitions here and there, along with quite a few redundancies, retained by the translator, as well as that excessive sentimentality are everywhere to be found in his manuscripts.

It is true, however, that every time he was not absent-minded or lost in his never-ending daydreaming, it was interesting to talk to him. He would often like to ask us about our studies. In fact, during one of our conversations, he told us that he had also pursued history and classical studies in his homeland when he was young, but a few years later, an illness forced him to permanently leave his job.

Another time, when someone asked him about his choice to come and live in Greece, he told us, revising his first strange answer that he did it “for reasons of nostalgia”, that he came motivated, as many others, by love for this renowned city.

“And besides,” he added with that hesitance in his voice—the same voice he used every time he had doubts whether his words would come across as right and rational—“I had this wish to see a place that lives two lives, divided by twenty entire centuries.”

The fact that a kind of nostalgia was dogging him once again here in Greece as well was evident to anyone spending time with him. As every ailing person, he would also blame the place and the climate. In fact, I believe that this man, who felt at times, as we would say about him then, that “life was too short for him” wherever he went, he could not manage to get these thoughts out of his head: “Where could the exit be?” In the end, he had stopped teaching and spent, as we found out afterwards, the final months of his life in a somewhat dismal financial situation.

He was not interested in material needs. Instead, he was tormented by the thought of dying young—as it finally came to be before he had turned thirty-eight— and that he would not have enough time to write, as only he knew how, the history of European culture, which was his lifelong dream. “In two volumes,” he would fervently say. He was convinced he could. The only thing lacking was time. When I asked him about how he would divide the historical periods and he told me that the first volume would reach up to our great 19thcentury, he felt my puzzlement at that moment. He immediately hinted, hesitantly and vaguely, that he had his own personal methodological convictions and that the second volume would be more of a critical work. However, it was obvious there was something more to this. It was only when the Diary reached my hands and I started reading it that I realised that Dienach intended to reach up to spring 3906 in that second volume. He had been hiding this from me during our conversations. How bright his face was, I recall, how bright… Every single time I bring that moment to mind, I feel the faith that kindled and inspired him stronger—the conviction that he knew all that came later and that he could narrate it—if only, he said, he had been given health and available time by fate. He had the courage to do so. “There are,” he said, “occasions, very rare, to be honest, when we already know what the future holds for us. We have so many incidents where forward knowledge clearly manifested itself.”

Last night (The “Pre-introductory and Critical Note” was written in 1966), I was once again skimming through the pages of the translated version of the Diary and my mind went back to him. Many old things have since been lost, but I had never forgotten that I had these manuscripts in my possession. In fact, the more the years went by and the carelessness of youth faded, the more the thought of them would haunt me with pangs of guilt.

I have pondered on their publication for a long time. Not only for reasons of the natural respect on behalf of a student towards the memory of his old teacher, but also due to the latter’s very rare case. It was thanks to the unprecedented fate of his private life that Dienach was lucky enough to be aware of many of the things that would occur many years hence—via the science of the space age—accessible to the wise and, in fact, via the methods of scientific research which natural sciences hold dear.

Many will say: “Is it possible for cases of such detailed memories of pre-existence to occur in the middle of Europe?” However, one should ask the following: “Why have people with such living memories of a previous existence only appeared in the East Indies?” The prevalence of materialism in the European lifestyle has reached exaggeration and positivism has infused the spirit of the European man to the extent of unbearable one-sidedness. The more you let go of these things, the more they do too.

Nowadays, the name Dienach is still unknown. It is natural to be absent from every index of writers, every encyclopaedia. However, there will come a day when he shall be an honoured and glorified name. The distant descendants of modern Western Europeans shall utter it with respect. There will come a time when one shall see all things he so thoroughly describes in his texts come true in Europe. He so vividly portrays them because he has seen them with his own two eyes. He has actually lived all that he narrates.

Just like the night they brought me the manuscripts, so it was two days ago, that I read until nightfall. Just like that time, I did not wish to turn the lights on. Just like that time, I thought I would suddenly see the figure of my distant friend in the still of the night, appearing between the two window panes that shone milky white in the darkness, as milky white as I remember my friend’s complexion from those times of old…

For all those who do not wish to hear anything about parapsychology, extra-sensory perception and cases of metapsychic phenomena, for those who do not accept anything beyond the limits of scientific thinking and data, Dienach did not see and live his writings, but invented them. He envisioned, that is, the course of future cultural developments of our species and more specifically the white race and as a matter of fact—daring to courageously and lastingly address—for a rather considerable period of time. Besides, he recorded his own convictions in each field of philosophical thinking (especially moral and cognitive-theoretic convictions), his own metaphysical beliefs.

According to this view, Dienach had put his own thoughts in the mouths of his heroes (Jaeger, Silvia, Lain, Cornelius, Stefan, Astrucci, Hilda, Syld and so on) of a rather novel narration. This, however, is hardly believable by anyone who had the chance to meet Dienach in person and was aware that he was not some exceptional genius and that his level of education was not so unique. This Central European, and he alone, assigns such a sublime meaning and such exceptional content to the world and life that he not only beautifies life, but he also even exceeds the conceptions of ancient Greek classical education and humanistic tradition, which does not, however, correspond to anything inexistence.

If one accepts the more rationalistic of the two explanations, one must say that Dienach’s texts are pages of applied futuristic sociology and an optimistic perspective in metaphysics. Some of the writer’s convictions are quite characteristic. We present them directly below.

Dienach does not foster the slightest appreciation for human cognitive abilities. He even considers a priori perceptions of the mind, for instance, time, space and classifications, too narrowly human. He says that the succession of time periods, yesterday, today, tomorrow, and even the concept of space are what is apparent. They appear to us in this form because they correspond to the perception sensors of human-receivers, to their mental capacities, that is, to their cognitive potential, intellect and rationality. The objective reality of time eludes us. It may very well not be our familiar linear time, with the sequence that we consider rational, with its rational flow, but deep down be an everlasting present. Similar is the case with space. It is impossible for man to perceive anything existing beyond three-dimensional space. There are, however, huge realities, which are included in this notion. For example, the dimension of depth eludes us. According to Dienach, underlying Kant’s simple moral demands of practical reason are excellent and unperceived realities, quite real, even though they are not accessible to human intellect. The new faculties, which the Homo Occidentalis Novus managed to acquire, added, as Stephan would tell Dienach, an endless ontological depth to reality, where the once moral demands of the old cognitive-theoretical version are included.

Objective ontological reality suffers no harm—it is just we that are incapable of perceiving it—because the perception sensors, the mind, human reason happens to be finite and imperfect. An objective being suffers no harm because the entire cognitive and psychic human structure, the entire rational organisation, happens to be weak by nature. In exactly the same way, for instance, ultraviolet and infrared rays suffer no harm regarding their objective existence and reality because the perception abilities of the human vision sensors happen to be inadequate.

He disapproves of the rise of rationality to an almighty cognitive power. He does not agree that human intellect is the only safe origin of spiritual life or that the cognitive function is the highest or that only what is acceptable by means of rational proof is related to ontological reality.

Regarding all science, if one excludes mathematics, as he says, Dienach has doubts about whether it gives us the real, objective picture of the natural universe. He stresses its fluid nature and speaks not of one natural science that is the most objectively valid—as it was believed in the 19th century—but of many subjective natural sciences, one for each different period. He considers the achievements of physics very useful to our empirical knowledge, their technical applications in the various fields of natural sciences and to the progress of material culture, but not to the knowledge of the true nature of beings. Fate has not provided us with the key to perceiving their objectivity. Our knowledge of all this is too human by definition. The proper knowledge of actual Being goes beyond our potential. As was the above mentioned case of the colour rays in the solar spectrum, such is the case here as well with the perception of the natural universe: for the living beings that humans are, senses are tools within nature, but also barriers. Our mental capacities, our knowledge potential, intellect, rationality, are tools within the worlds of existing things for the biological species of rational beings to which we belong, but they are also obstacles.

Dienach considers even the distinction between physics and metaphysics entirely human. It is the sensory perception of this particular biological species and its finite cognitive potential that limit them. We no longer live, he says, in the times of Aristoteles, Descartes or Kant, the times of worshipping human intellect and reason, as if these were something unattainable, unique and incomparable. The distinction human intellect has made between physics and metaphysics are subjective (for humans), but not objective. It is impossible, he says, to perceive how much reality (a reality of incredible grandeur and superb beauty), how much ontological validity may underlie all that we have become used to calling “spiritual worlds” a long time ago. The correct definition of this term is, according to Dienach, neither that which has no real ontological substance nor that which only exists in our spirit, but that whose objective existence and nature human-receivers lack the ability to perceive.

For thousands of years we believed humans to be the only species of living beings to have a higher spiritual life, inner cultivation, inner culture and a free spiritual personality. This erroneous conception of our uniqueness is, according to Dienach, the main reason we consider human cognitive abilities such as intellect and reason so satisfactory—almost infallible according to intellectuals and positivists. He says that this is the main reason we consider the human mind to be omniscient and rationalism to be absolutely valid and we say that if something truly exists, then it is impossible for our intellect not to perceive it.

The level man occupies among myriads of species of intellectual and rational beings is, Dienach says, quite superior. However, man is not the Crown of Creation unless, of course, we limit ourselves to the spiritual and intellectual life of our planet. All humanistic tradition, religious faith, the Greco-Roman spirit and Renaissance had, our author says, passed down to our Western Civilization the unshakable conviction that man is the spiritual centre of the universe. Our whole thinking is egocentric, anthropomorphic and geocentric. Myriads of different biological species are higher than our level and myriads of others are lower. In fact, the utterance “the heavens declare the glory of God” has, he says, meaning and content incomparably broader and higher than the one intended by those expressing it and generally by what people thought at those times. Positivists, intellectuals, empiricists, rationalists and critical philosophers are all mistaken, he says, in considering human perception sensors of imperfect and finite potential to be infallible. They are also wrong to hold that nothing exists apart from what is given and tested by the intellect, rationality and experience. A higher, truly higher, view of the world and life is not feasible, Dienach writes, as long as we continue to look at things exclusively from the human point of view, our own perspective and in light of our own mental capacity.

Another point worth noting in Dienach’s writings is his belief (he saw, he says, and knows) that the cognitive abilities of many other biological species provide an equally subjective image for all that exists—though much more perfect and complete than ours—even if these species are on a higher level than us in the scale of the myriads of species of rational beings. The finite element, he says, is inherent to the inevitable fate of organic matter, no matter how endowed the latter is with the divine spark beyond certain stages of its spiritual development and biological evolution. When the spirit comes to embrace matter, you cannot, he says, ever find perfection. There is no perfection in any of those creatures that are superior to us, in any of their functions corresponding to what we are used to calling ‘mind’, ‘reason’ and psychic-intellectual functions. They are also burdened by the fate of understanding only the apparent facets of reality, he says. In other words, they also have their own worldview, which they supposedly consider real due to their limited ability of ontological perception; in the same way, we have our own physical-scientific worldview, which we owe to Copernicus, Kepler, Newton, Einstein, Max Planck, Werner Heisenberg and the rest of our wise personages.

The most wondrous thing he writes about is that actual Being exists, the deeper essence of Being, that is, the objective and no longer the apparent reality. This Being exists beyond the thousands of subjective images in the field of ontology and generally in the sphere of knowledge and beyond all kinds of perceptions, which vary incredibly on those myriads of inhabited spheres and in the incredible breadth of time periods spanning millions of centuries. They vary, he says, depending on the level of the species of logical beings and even on the particular stage of their biological and spiritual development along with the various developmental stages of their psychic-spiritual functions. Human language cannot express this inconceivably large ontological reality, of course. Dienach, however, employs a term: the Samith. He actually believes that this term is not conventional, but it is a specific word of a peculiar language of the wise of those distant future times he discusses.

Let us suppose that one of the superior species of rational living beings somewhere in cosmic space could ever grasp the entire true nature of this objective ontological reality, its essence, its structure, its entire ontological content. Then, he says, we would immediately solve all the big and unknown problems of the world, a small part of which constitutes, also here on our Earth, an objective of our metaphysical pain, an object, that is, of unbearable spiritual thirst, of irresistible nostalgia of spirit and soul. These problems are the natural universe in its objective nature, the existence of God, the beginning and the end of beings, the deep mystery of life and its purpose, all sorts of teleological opinions, eternity and infinity. Moreover, the thousands of questions in metaphysics, the origins and the destination of people as well as their place in the entirety of Being, everything we hopelessly strive to understand, everything inconceivable but existing, of ontological substance, no matter how much it eludes the abilities of human intellect and the perception sensors of rationalism.

Dienach believes that it is feasible for superior living beings to have knowledge, not of the Samith’s essence, of course, which is impossible, but at least of its evident existence. He even says this could be feasible by people, though in the very distant future, upon long-lasting self-cultivation of the psychic-spiritual abilities of our species and an evolutionary course of a more moral nature.

This knowledge of Samith’s existence would suffice, according to Dienach, to put an end to man’s metaphysical angst and save the human spirit from the eternal fate of pain and doubt. Despite its inaccessible essence, the all-so-clear knowledge of the existence of that large ontological reality, which objectively exists, could not come to the chosen ones among us, to those whom fate would have given the divine grace of actually witnessing its existence. It could not come but in connection with that meaning of incredible and inconceivable grandeur and with the feeling of hyper- cosmic beauty it encompasses.

“Do not take these last words with their human meaning,” Dienach writes in some footnotes. “Alas,” he says, “upon hearing the word ‘grandeur’, we think of space, of range. The same applies for hyper-cosmic beauty, which is something beyond the limits of human psychic tolerance to great aesthetic joy and superb spiritual happiness and besides, something entirely inaccessible to the poor and finite perception potential of human aesthetic consciousness. Maybe, however, it is an unintentional foretelling. Maybe it is a distant reflection of it, which had once feebly shone in Goethe’s or Beethoven’s dreams and in those of other masters of artistic creation and philosophical thinking during the heyday of the European civilisation.

I recall Dienach writing somewhere else in his manuscripts, which were later lost, about Kant’s distinction between the beautiful (for example, in the great and immortal works of artistic creation and the perception of beauty by the cultivated lover of the arts) and the sublime (for example, at the sight of the starry dome and at the perception of the sublime by the sensitive religious person of advanced inner cultivation and rich spiritual culture). I also recall Dienach writing further down about Kant’s observation that the former causes deep aesthetic stirring while the latter brings about a sense of wonder and profound religiousness as well as a feeling of awe and veneration.

I remember Dienach not admitting to such a distinction, but, on the contrary, giving a single explanation for all this: he writes somewhere that an unbearable thirst of the soul pushes us towards these concepts. The Samith, however, is, deep down, the object of our nostalgia. Lacking it, we resort to all those things that give our spiritual world the impression of its worldly forms. They somehow grant us—though temporarily—some salvation from the unquenched thirst for the Samith within our own ambience of life. That is all we have in the cruel fate of our world.

Besides, Dienach continues, this need for salvation is the reason religions were established in the first place. Men feel that life is impossible without a religious feeling. This salvation is also pursued by artistic, and generally, creation in its various forms (composition of symphonic music, lyrical poetry, visual arts, treasures of the spirit in general). The same reason led to the construction, through the millennia, of an entire spiritual edifice of meritocratic convictions and high ideals (such as humanism, love, justice, altruism, freedom, education, and the spiritual urge towards moral completion). This need for salvation is the reason men became capable of expressing sublime moral demands to their Creator and suffering, fighting, sacrificing themselves, dying—without an ulterior motive, in the spirit of voluntary sacrifice—for high emotional and moral values. All this to quench, as much as possible—even temporarily—that unsatisfied, sacred thirst of the spirit and soul. The deepest reason, the true origins of the entire civilisation throughout history is this unrelenting spiritual tendency, this urge for salvation from the pain from the lack of the Samith, unconscious though we may be of it.

According to Dienach, the enlightened and worthy thinker should thus actually address the problem of the origins of civilisation. All that has ever been taught about it is, as he writes, superficial. Instead of considering the ever-evolving course of civilisation an expression of people’s strife and tendency to return to God, from whom they have been separated by sin (Gianbattista Vico), the essence of people’s social life (Auguste Comte), an outcome of the competition among social classes of conflicting financial interests (Karl Marx), the manifestation of biological evolution by means of youth and decline (Oswald Spengler), the fruit of older suppressed and repressed sexual desires, which return transformed and idealised and are externalised indifferent forms upon long-lasting unknowing processing in the depths of the subconscious (Sigmund Freud) or, finally, the manifestation of a tendency towards domination, supremacy and distinction, for the sake of reacting to the feeling of inferiority and weakness during childhood (Adler and other proponents of individual psychology), it is better, he says, to admit the deeper, truer reason. Even if Carl Jung, Dienach writes elsewhere, searches for the origins and the cause of works of civilisation in the vast richness of noble and high inclinations and tendencies encompassed in that hidden area of the psychic organism, man’s subconscious, it does not explain enough regarding the origins of this richness. They are not only hereditary features and refined instincts. This may also be the case, but these features are “absolutely secondary”. This interpretation lacks depth. Without the Samith, without the sacred thirst of the spirit and soul and our nostalgia for it, there could be no noble urges of the man’s soul towards things that are desirable, undiscovered, impossible and inexistent—inexistent and impossible in our meagre ambience of life—towards eternity, infinity, the divine, perfection and ideal beauty. Neither would the great acts of moral beauty exist, nor the attraction to sacrifice or anything beyond reason, to the beautiful, sublime, unexpressed and divine.

Dienach later talks about man’s future efforts to make a leap forward in the process of evolution, a gain of millennia in the long psycho-spiritual and moral maturity in a way to accelerate, as much as possible, the ability of acquiring direct knowledge. Men shall be able to do this when they have overcome this stage of technical-economic civilisation and once satisfied and satiated with the cultural achievements thereof, they shall turn to pursuits that are more spiritual. Dienach writes that if he understood correctly, the evolution of the intuition and second sight of the old times from their past embryonic state shall generate the acquisition of this new human spiritual ability. The new cognitive potential, the new experience, which shall render the knowledge of the Samith crystal clear—despite the inaccessibility of its essence—and shall also give that feeling of the incredible and inconceivable grandeur and hyper-cosmic superb beauty that is connected to It.

This astute species is restless, he writes somewhere. After its insane achievements in the technical universe, it suddenly enters new paths. It puts its hand to artificial development, reinforcement and activation of extremely old abilities, which had been lying dormant in the deepest parts of the psychic organism. It aspires to see this elusive secret light of no cognitive processing become evident, stable and conscious. What was once considered transcendent (In all his texts, Dienach uses the word transcendent in the meaning of metaphysical and hyper-cosmic. Throughout his manuscripts, Dienach calls transcendent the high realities, which stand above man’s perception sensors while fate has not given man knowledge thereof. The 18th and 19th centuries had doubted whether they corresponded to something existing. Dienach thought of them as realities in connection with the great metaphysical problems. He stresses the validity of their ontological substance.), what was true but inconceivable, real (existing) but unthinkable and inexpressible, our species wants to make them the object of evident knowledge here and now. Since intellect and reason have been proven unsuitable (he means to say insufficient) for this, this new, astute species acquires new cognitive potential (he means new perception sensors).

One of the main reasons Dienach was so hesitant to reveal himself to his friends at least and did not wish, as long as he lived, to have his manuscripts published, was the new terms, the neologisms he had to use at the time of his writing.(Generally, new words are one of Dienach’s greatest obstacles in expressing himself. He had found himself, he says, before thousands of new terms of another age of superior spiritual life, before thousands of new verbal expressions of a richer language, which was the linguistic instrument of a civilisation superior to our 20th century one. In many cases, he had to use these new words in their original form. However, he prefers using a periphrastic wording by means of our words where it is possible. Thus, for instance, the great rooms of teaching [5 of VI], the unions of willed competences [30 of VI], the office partners [14 of VI], the partners of herds, the service, the boulevards of the settlement [26 of VI], etc. constitute a German periphrastic rendition of the original one-word term. The same applies for the ambiance of this life, which intends to express the opposite of the concept of life after death or the opposite to the transcending course of the individual’s spiritual entity after biological death. The same applies for the peripheral far rooms of domes [20 of VII] and the established officials [Gretwirchaarsdag of September 6 for us] and many others.) The Nibelvirch, which attributes man’s acquisition of that new superior spiritual ability, above intellect and rationalism, that new perception sensor (knowledge potential) cannot, he says, be expressed in any of our languages by any term. Intuition and second sight are simplistic compared to it. Besides, hyper-vision very much reminds us of one of our own material (of the experience) senses. Still, that distant future age that Dienach’s manuscripts refer to frequently employs the term Oversyn or Supersyn as near synonyms to the Nibelvirch or actually as its outcome. Elsewhere it uses the terms direct knowledge, direct view and experience beyond reason interchangeably.

Preface continued...

Vain were the attempts of an acquaintance of his to tell him that he was not right to be so hesitant. Besides, concept was unknown as a verbal term before Socrates and idea was never uttered as a word before Plato. In vain. He could not bear, he said, the thought of comparing himself to men of such gigantic stature.

Either way, Dienach writes that the Nibelvirch inaugurates a brand new stage in the evolution of the spiritual life of the human race. This new superior spiritual ability and knowledge potential is, he says, a frontier, a limit separating the Homo sapiens’ life, which lasted millennia, from the dawning of a new life for the enlightened man, the Homo Occidentalis Novus. Besides, he writes that he heard it said that anatomic variations had been observed in the main connective brain centres afterwards.

The entire multi-millennial age of articulated speech, intellect, ability to reflect, all these cognitive functions, with the passage from naive faith to knowledge and positive sciences and even with the entire content of the affect, the emotional and co native urges and with all that psychic richness, is, Dienach says, a single age: Stage B. Regarding Stage A, he says that particular stage is reserved for the early, primitive man, whose senses and instincts were the only content of his mental life). From the Nibelvirch onwards, Stage C dawns. It is an element which is added to the so far psycho-spiritual functions, which is not just new, but also superior in merit. None of the previous ones can compare to this, to direct enlightenment, even though they were a sine qua non condition of the latter in terms of continuity. This new element—the possibility of direct view thanks to the Nibelvirch—did not come to demolish, reduce or weaken older mental functions. It came to add to them. It came to complement the entire cognitive human structure with something else, something more powerful.

One of the most characteristic of Dienach’s observations was that only once Stage C dawned did the right explanation and the deeper meaning of thousands of things during the previous stage become evident and only in this way did they receive proper interpretation. During Stage C, man became conscious of the deeper meaning of all those earlier things. These were the noble emotional urges, the high ideals, religious awe, the unbearable need of the soul of the greats for artistic creation in its highest expression, the inner need for justice, even if it concerned others and not oneself. Other noble sentiments were deep and true love and the attraction to voluntary sacrifice, the thirst for the final justification of virtue and the lofty longing for immortality, the ever misunderstood—as a base concern for mortality—spiritual inclination for a lease of life, that tendency to overcome the barriers of our biological fate and, generally, an entire universe of high moral and spiritual values. In one word, they were the most solemn and sacred ideals of the human soul. It was made clear that all those were nothing but diversiform manifestations of an unknown thirst of the spirit and soul, an ever unappeased nostalgia. It was only thanks to the Nibelvirch that it became possible for men to see its most profound object (the Samith), to gain, that is, knowledge of what lies beyond the worldly manifestations of its apparent directions (the a posteriori interpretation, as he writes).

This thirst of the spirit and soul is the origins of the entire civilisation. He says that the higher the level of the moral and psycho-spiritual civilisation on a given sphere (inhabited planet) during a specific age, the more intense and noble shall the thirst of the soul be. In other words, it is the unknown spiritual and moral pain for the colossal difference—in beauty and grandeur—between the ambience of life and the Samith; between the apparent, that is, and the large ontological reality, which is multidimensional, and objectively existent.

One of the basic common features and common points between our biological species and the thousands of other species of rational living beings on myriads of celestial spheres is, according to Dienach, this common deepest cause for every sublime spiritual offering and generally for every creative inspiration for cultural achievements. Such is the unquenchable thirst of the spirit and soul, the nostalgia for the Samith even if we do not always feel it, even if it is not a conscious yearning.

Beyond a certain stage of evolution “of the psychic and spiritual life” this deepest cause starts, he says, to appear imperative, invincible and unappeased. The forms of organic matter may greatly vary compared to ours, depending on the terms governing the appearance and the ascent of life to those very distant spheres. If these terms, however, have actually happened to meet with the “divine spark”, if they encompass something to which we owe our intellect, rationalism and emotion, then they cannot but approach our species in everything pertaining to the higher spiritual realms. Something similar to our own unquenchable thirst for research and knowledge shall exist, something similar to our own “worries of the heart”, something similar to our unbearable inclination towards the indestructible and eternal, the inherent warm emotional attraction towards a supreme existence of unknown nature and with our honest faith in “higher powers”, something similar to our own great artist’s imperative inner voice, the inevitable psychic urge to give the ideal of beauty a visible form, to grant the work a lease of life, beyond the model’s biological decay, to defeat time and the law of decay. Dienach concludes that the deepest, radical cause of all those civilisations and their historical realisations is common; it is the thirst of spirit and soul for the Samith.

For Dienach, this common feature has, apart from the primary importance of the common cause and also the common purpose, the importance of time duration and even validity (Geltung) in the vast cosmos. He writes that every species’ mission on every inhabited sphere and the task assigned by fate is to erect the spiritual structure of its civilisation as beautifully, perfectly, highly and completely as possible. This common trait has greater importance than the historical cultural achievements themselves. Civilisations, he says, come and go. However, their deepest origins remain eternal and unalterable.

The great aesthetic civilisation of Classical antiquity, the thousands of statues and temples in Athens and Corinth, the high level of common aesthetic consciousness of those times in ancient Greece, which created man’s inner need to live in such an ambience of beauty, came and went. However, the cause remains. The thirst of that soul, the nostalgia for the Samith, shall create, he says, something new—never entirely the same, something new with original elements. This is actually the case with the new great miracle of creation in symphonic musical compositions in central Europe during the 19th century, which is the worthy equivalent of the Greek miracle of the Classical Age.

Discoveries regarding the laws that govern the natural universe come one after the other and the ever new celestial mechanics prove the teachings of each previous version mistaken. However, the cause remains. It is the thirst of the spirit and soul, the nostalgia for the Samith, which is manifested in this field in the form of that longing for research, which honours our species. It is the spiritual yearning and invincible inclination to learn something more each time and discover something more correct regarding the great secret that surrounds us, to extract nature’s secrets, to diagnose the laws that govern natural phenomena.

Religions, with their doctrines, the stories of their sacred history, their teachings and their rituals of worship, come, go and vary depending on the places, spheres and times. However, their deepest cause remains. In this field, the cause in question is manifested via the feeling of religiousness. This is an unbearable need of the soul for both our humanity and for every deserving species of rational and emotional living beings on other inhabited planets.

The specific forms often assumed by high ideals, the eternal moral values and values of spiritual life, come and go. However, their deepest cause remains. Their effect on our spiritual world does not depend on each ephemeral form. The cause never varies. The inner need is always as intense, the feeling of worship, the frenzy and the competitive tendency are always as intense and the same applies for the force of spiritual longing and unbridled enthusiasm. No price seems high enough for their sake, regardless of the particular form each of those great ideals assumes every time.

This profound cause—the only thing that does not change—is, according to Dienach, the thirst of the spirit and soul for the Samith. He considers the latter similar to the Kantian “das Ding an sich” as a verbal expression. Regarding its essence, he considers it the objective Existent in its entirety, the whole of Being at its deepest essence, regardless of finite cognitive abilities, knowledge potential, which the various species of biological beings share on the millions of the celestial inhabited spheres. In other words, he considers it the all-existing ontological reality, which is multi-dimensional and of objective substance.

Reinforcing and activating all these inherent human spiritual abilities, once done extensively and for a sufficient amount of time (faithful and persistent self-cultivation for thousands of years), could, according to Dienach, exercise decisive influence on the forms of spiritual life and generally the cultural life for very long periods of time. It could also gradually form a peculiar civilisation, which would leave, one would say, its own distinct mark. That distant future age of civilisation that he narrates—which he saw and lived for those of us who believe him—has its own individual nuance due to the very deep influence of the Aidersen Institute, the Nibelvirch and the Volkic spiritual preaching, the Volkic teaching, as he narrates in his manuscripts, along with a variety of other factors, which he reports as an eye witness in his Diary. The same is true in the years before our existence, starting from ancient history: every single age of civilisation has its own character, which matches its cultural identity. This is also largely due to the very intense and deep cultivation of certain human spiritual and intellectual abilities.

For instance, the ancient Chinese civilisation, monolithic and isolated, was mainly characterised by its excessive devotedness to tradition. The Egyptian civilisation of the time of the Pharaohs and high priests had focused on life after death. The ancient Jewish civilisation, as well as the later Islamic one, was of evident religious nature. The Greek civilisation of classical antiquity centred on the worship of natural beauty and was infused with unparalleled spiritual elements, thanks to the Socratic teaching of self-discipline, morality, virtue, mutual respect and the incomparable principles and convictions of the Platonic Ideal. It was a civilisation with a sense of proportion and beauty, an artistic and aesthetic civilisation above all.

The civilisation of the Italian Renaissance had certain characteristic features such as the revival of classical texts, the thirst for free thinking, the elevation of aesthetic consciousness and artistic creation using themes principally taken from the Christian tradition. The 19th century German civilisation created an entire universe of harmony and, besides, brought Europe an unprecedented development and acme in scientific thought and philosophical thinking.

Generally, within the millennial turnings of the wheel of history, various tendencies prevail. At times, it is rationalism, the materialistic ideas and the mentality of research, observation and experimentation on behalf of natural sciences—the almightiness of the laboratory. At others, it is aesthetic consciousness, the sense of beauty, the development, that is, of the sense of good taste. In other moments in history, it is the conquests of the technical universe, the comforts and the mass production of standardised industrial products (the popularisation of the application of inventions, the material abundance of means and the democratisation of comforts). Then, some other times, it is fanaticism, intolerance and the ideological prejudice against spiritual or political preachings or even religious past ones. Finally, there are times when it is intellectualism in thought and in every other expression of social life.

A possible one-sided reinforcement of cognitive functions—only of the mind and not of the emotion—could, Dienach somewhere says, create a materially almighty race, in the course of millennia, of incredible technological achievements, of a remarkable progress in natural sciences and their technical applications. However, such one-sided progress would generate a barbaric race in terms of inner cultivation, with no gentleness of mores, with no inner culture, with a massive void regarding the soul, moral values and emotions.

The opposite paths lead elsewhere: for instance, the age of Romanticism in Western Europe gave a major voice to emotions during the first three or four decades of the 19th century. They were the principal motivation of creative inspiration, not only in literature, lyrical poetry, painting or sculpture, but also in musical composition, philosophical thinking and metaphysics. Moreover, they motivated the course of political life, the convictions based on merit, the trends of ideas, the start of social reforms, enthusiasm, high ideals, the morals and in social life, in general, in almost every sphere of cultural activity. Spontaneity and sentiment drove artistic creators and poets to produce works of unparalleled aesthetic inspiration, with the element of the marvellous and the mythical and they also made them disapprove and shake off the old “rules of technique”. Vis-à-vis the established logical forms, in every field of creation, affect prevailed throughout those times. The surrounding material reality was being put aside and ignored, yielding to emotion and imagination. The perception of life and the world beyond reason prevailed everywhere, on every sphere of the known and in every field of achievement.

Dienach also makes the case of other spiritual courses and directions. For instance, Western man has shown complete disdain for the profound mysticism of the East. Based on the latter, the Hindus, for example, had developed their own peculiar primeval spiritual civilisation up until the 19th century. Within a life which was materially frugal and a strictly agricultural economy, disapproving of every attempt for social climbing and ignoring all the achievements of science and technology, these deeply philosophical religious tribes had focused their attention on Brahma and his teachings. At the same time, they strove to embrace and realise the fusion of man’s individuality with the spirit of everything, the identification of the human soul with the One and everything.

He also says that the intensive and somehow one-sided cultivation of human psychodynamics, once done extensively and for a considerable amount of time, could form an entire civilisation of another form of its own individual mark. This cultivation can be done by means of telepathy, reading and transferring thoughts, foreknowledge and foretelling of future events, perception beyond senses, invocation of spirits, and so on, within a spiritual ambience that would be very different from ours, within a beatified ambience of social co-existence. One would there observe a noticeable fall in the positive sciences and rationality as well as in pragmatic judgement and materialistic life in general along with faith in data perceived by the five senses, in the experience of material and real life around us.

Either way, Dienach disapproves of any one-sidedness in the course of civilisation. He condemns, that is, any exaggeration in any exclusive and one-sided direction, which would result in the weakening of certain fields of human abilities. The truly high purposes of culture, the teleological opinions which hold most merit, are connected to a parallel, balanced, harmonious and almost equilateral cultivation and development of the best human abilities and the worthiest tendencies, according to this version. His perspective embraces, as much as possible, the prevalence of higher ideals, the experience of unparalleled spiritual and emotional treasures encompassed within the real and deeper spirit of Christianity and the realisation of humanism and freedom in social life, among the peoples of the world. In fact, Dienach considers these two last ideals, humanism and freedom, the highest one could find in the system of moral values formed within our Western civilisation by classical education, humanism and Christian tradition with their marvellous union, their incomparable marriage.

During the four years of the German Occupation in Greece—all Dienach’s manuscripts were still available up until the events of December 1944 and the days when I found shelter in a friend’s home, in Thisseos Street, on Christmas Eve 1944—four people had read the original two “Diaries” and the Diary with the Chronicles From The Future: they were the respectable Greek Macedonian friend and colleague, highly educated, whose favourite occupation was, as I can recall from then, his involvement in the Masonic and theosophical movement—he ranked high in Freemasonry; a theology professor from the Greek island of Tinos, who was quite renowned in his time; and two German friends of the latter, father and son. The father was a history professor of liberal ideas while the son was a young reserve officer of the Occupation army with great aversion towards the Hitlerites, which he did not hesitate to share with me.

Each one of them had kept Dienach’s actual manuscripts for several weeks and months and had read them to the end. However, their impressions of the manuscripts varied.

The German history professor told me, upon returning the manuscripts, that Dienach was not a simple professor of mediocre education, as I thought at the time. He was, he says, a great personality of the Western European spirit, a true spiritual leader of the white race, a prophet inspired by God, inspired by the love and thirst to contribute to the survival of the Western civilisation. He also added that Dienach foretells the Yellow Peril and the terrible wars of the 23rd century and calls upon Europeans to be infused with the need of a single national consciousness and a pan-European political community. In the case of Dienach, the German historian told me, the time succession between theorists and pragmatists is repeated as it had occurred in both great revolutions: the French one of 1789 and the Russian one of 1917. Twentieth century Dienach stands, he says, before the great fighters of the following centuries, before the European political leaders and the warlords of the 23rd century as their ideological and theoretical forerunner. In other words, he is what Voltaire, Rousseau, Montesquieu, the Encyclopaedists and other 18th-century thinkers more or less were before the orators of constituent national assemblies and the military leaders of the bourgeoisie during the last ten years of the 18th century in France.

“You Greeks have the term ‘teacher of the nation’,” he said. “So, Dienach was a true teacher of the nation, but with a different meaning from yours, a much broader one: a meaning regarding the ethnological, territorial and mostly cultural scope of the Western European spirit.”

However, I remember the German professor being on a different train of thought on another day:

“In Dienach’s texts one can distinguish two opposing ideological tendencies. On the one hand, the voice of the 19th century onwards, the centuries of a materialistic view of the world and life, the centuries of technocracy. On the other hand, there is the voice of the Nojere as Dienach would call it (3382 AD). This former’s motto is that the proper pragmatic viewing of life, the world and scientific thinking succeeded the immature time period of naive faith. Our 19th century,” he says, “introduced us to science and put an end to the ‘theological prejudices’ of past times. Research methods in natural sciences led us to the knowledge of things as they truly are. It also showed the true nature of man (a biochemical laboratory of marvellous hereditary mental abilities) and the world (the natural universe with its material elements, with matter-energy and the powers they encompass as well as the laws of celestial mechanics). It also became evident that men, prompted by the fear of death and the bitter realisation of their ephemeral biological fate, created religions, God, the Beyond, the distinction between bad and good as well as life after death as a justification of virtue.

The Nojere (986 of the ‘new chronology’) proves these things to be faulty. They are, he says, on a merely human scale. They are only what the finite cognitive potential of human-recipients has the ability to perceive. It is only what is perceived by this particular biological species on this grain of sand of the divine strand, which encompasses countless inhabited spheres. The conviction of this ‘new age’ is that the ontological reality, as objectively existing, is entirely different. It has such a hyper-cosmic and superb beauty and such a cognitively impenetrable and ‘unlikely’ grandeur that it finds something very different before it—another ‘side’ of it; only a simpler one. It is the natural universe and life in its entirety along with whatever falls under our cognitive abilities: the senses, the intellect, rationality etc. Before it, all that was said by the greatest religions in their dogmas, the most ‘undoubtable’ truths in natural sciences—via the method of ‘scientific’ research—and the highest cosmic-theoretical conceptions as well as the most valued expressions in metaphysical faith all seem naive and childish. This reality is ‘something inconceivably big’.”

The German historian’s son was of a different opinion:

“Dienach’s main idea was to continue the love story with his dead beloved,” he told me. “This intense thirst of his soul was what made him write the Diary. This secret longing for such a possibility, his deeply human burning heartache breathed into him the desire to narrate all that. Using his pen, he gave his constrained human biological fate the time extension that real life would deny. All this happened in order to write the continuation of the ongoing story of a great love, which was prematurely terminated, and to pursue it. He did not actually live his writings. It is all ‘made up by himself’, artificial and imaginary. Dienach is an ‘incurable romantic’, ‘a poet with quite a few delusions’ and in fact ‘a psychologically ailing individual who lives inside ‘his own’ reality.”

The young anti-Hitler reserve officer of the German Occupation army later asked me to swear that those manuscripts were authentic and that Dienach had actually existed. I did so with pleasure, since I knew it well enough to be true. I tried to figure out his character: the content of the Diary had excited him, literally overwhelmed him. Anyone could speak with him freely. He was an honest humanist and not that ideologically distant from us Greeks.

“He doesn’t exist anymore,” he told me later on in the conversation, “but how wonderful it is that his mode of thinking has survived through these manuscripts…”

He confessed to me that many sections of the Diary had brought tears to his eyes.

“Are you sure that only his mother was Austrian?” he later asked me. “My personal opinion is that his father was also Austrian and that he had participated in World War I. He had nothing to do with Zurich and it will be pointless for you to search there when Europe is at peace. He was Austrian and a Catholic and he had experienced the terror of the 1914 War.”

At first, he showed me in the “First Notebook” the words written about Father Jacob that he “had gone out for a walk with three Protestant priests on August 14, 1922”. Then he showed me another phrase of the Diary Pages at the end of the 12th—VII: “How happy would I be had I been relieved of every feeling of disgust and shame, away from the smell of mustard gas,” he says where I have now put the title-header on the pages “The Valley of the Roses” (original title of the First Edition) in my translation.

“He was a Catholic and his father was German or Austrian,” my interlocutor continued. He had a guilt complex, which could not be justified in his individual case. It is highly likely he had participated in the war. He was hypersensitive. He suffered from “the complex of his people’s guilt” of the imperial era. He literally writes anti-war literature in many parts of his texts. He was not Swiss. He had kept his real self secret from you and most probably his real name. He did this while trying to “find students” because he knew that half the Athenians of that time—in 1922 and 1923—were sympathisers of the Entente Powers.”

The university professor from the Greek island of Tinos and an outstanding man of intellect of those times found the Diary’s central meaning elsewhere.

“What is most essential in Dienach’s manuscripts,” he said, “is his perspective that an incredibly great and beautiful solution to the great metaphysical problems shall be found after a long, long time. These problems are the problems of the world, God, the origins, the course and the end purposes of men, the beginning and the end of beings. This shall be an incredible interpretation to the deep mystery of life, a brilliant answer to all those great questions that have taunted man as a thinker in the most noble and valued of individual and group cases. It would be so great an explanation that the human mind ‘cannot perceive its grandeur and exquisite beauty for the time being’. He believes that there will be a time when what happened with the field of celestial mechanics and the natural universe in general at the beginning of the 20th century shall also happen in the field of a more universal worldview. In other words, true, ontological reality will prove to transcend to an incredible degree the highest dreams of the human spirit and the boldest expectations of the human heart. Dienach envisions that what people will once know about these issues shall be superior in terms of grandeur and beauty to what we know today, even more superior than the scientific knowledge of the beginnings of the 20th century of the issues of the natural universe in comparison with the times before Eudoxus, Aristoteles, Aristarchus, Hipparchus and Archimedes.”

I remember him telling me on another day:

“Dienach reminds me of William James (William James, an American thinker, 1842-1910), Renan, Huxley and other thinkers of the central and Western Europe of the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, who feared that Christianity no longer satisfies—namely in its dogmatism—an increasing number of the modern educated people of the Western world. Christian doctrines have more and more difficulty, the aforementioned thinkers say, staying in touch with what is already known of existence, as this is revealed to us by the course of the world and the development of knowledge during these last two centuries. From then on, their roads part. These crypto-materialistic thinkers have the tendency to replace religion with an infinite admiration towards science and even towards evolutionary humanism. They also hold that religions that place themselves ‘above worldly matters’ speak of things that do not exist and that it is high time the West adopted a religion taking the course and direction towards the fullest possible development of man’s spiritual and moral abilities, towards the harmonious and fullest realisation of the highest and most beautiful predispositions and worthy tendencies. Dienach is of the opposite mind. He does not only believe that there are realities that are characterised as ‘metaphysical’ and ‘otherworldly’ by man. He also believes that what ‘objectively exists’ is of a grandeur and beauty which is inconceivable by the human-receivers. It also stands higher and escapes (‘exceeds’) all that was said so far by the greatest religions, the most valued philosophical teachings, the most ambitious cosmic-theoretical conceptions and, generally, the highest spiritual preachings on this planet throughout the history of the human spirit. Dienach envisions a great new spiritual preaching, Volkic Knowledge as he calls it. The latter shall be a spiritual teaching of unprecedented level, excellent and wondrous, which tends to replace the already known accepted dogmas of Christianity and its theological basis in the ontological field with a broader, higher and more universal view of the world, life and every sphere of existence. This shall be done without offending the established values of the Christian tradition and its incomparable moral teachings in the slightest.”

My educated Greek Macedonian theosophist and respectable friend was of another, totally different, opinion.

“I am totally convinced,” he told me upon returning the manuscripts to me “that the Diary has not been written by Dienach in Athens in 1923-1924. It has been written in northern Italy and other European regions in 3905 and 3906 by Andreas Northam. He was its real author. Dienach’s personality and life are a simple ‘strong memory of pre-existence’, which occupied for many months, almost a year, Andreas Northam’s thoughts, emotional world and generally his spirit and his whole thinking. Dienach is ‘a simple copyist from memory’. He did nothing but write ‘for a second time’ in 1923-1924 what was written by Andreas Northam ‘for the first time” in 3905 and the following year. The temporal antinomy is clearly set on the human scale, so this whole story seems incredible from the start. One may say that I am being irrational. However, this antinomy in the flow of time only exists for human standards, for human perception potential, only for human standards, which can only understand the meaning of aligned time with yesterday, today and tomorrow. Extremely rare are the cases when the human spirit overcomes the obstacles, transcends human standards and acquires means of perception beyond the senses, telepathy, clairvoyance and a great number of things beyond the ‘established’ kinds of psychic potential. Time may very well actually be—in its objective nature—different from our own human perceptions thereof, which are subjective and anthropomorphic.”

The Greek Macedonian theosophist had obviously worded the above thoughts in impeccable purist Greek (since he was infused with this linguistic tradition). I, however, transcribe them here in the vernacular, since it is the variant of this entire pre-introductory and critical note. He was assisted in reading the manuscripts by a young German-speaking reader, a relative or a friend of his—a student of the pedagogical academy or an archaeologist if I remember correctly. He was the only one among the four not to have mastered Dienach’s mother tongue. He had not read the entire manuscript, he said. Nevertheless, he talked to me about them. He believed that only the “First Diary” and the “Second Diary” were actually written by Dienach himself. He attributes the Diary with the Chronicles From the Future to Northam. Regarding Northam, he also believed that at the age of twenty-eight he was meant to be—upon some very serious injury, which had temporarily led to his clinical death—Paul Dienach’s reincarnation, which is, he says, “a totally rare case of reincarnation since it occurred in a European region of our own sphere.”

I remember that in one of our meetings this theosophist and Mason and respectable friend formulated the thought that all those who had happened to meet Dienach in person and then read his Diary would have made. The thought that the author of these texts bore in mind the same facts, the same things, the same incidents, the same “material” in a word, on which the future historians shall work after a very long time. The difference is that the latter shall give this material the form of historical research and historiography and their methodology shall be totally different. Here, Dienach handles that same material as a traveller-narrator and assigns it the external form of “travel fiction” of a somewhat literary nature in the wording of the text and with that embellishment which was so familiar to his mentality and did not fit with the usual style of our times. I remember my respectable friend added that the most interesting element underlying these texts is the retrograde perspective of times not too far from us now (the 21st and the 22nd centuries) that can be adopted by someone recording historical impressions in those very distant years in the future.

George M. Papachatzis

August 1966

Wikipedia said:
However, the majority of survivors subsequently developed neurological or psychiatric disorders, often after years or decades of seemingly perfect health.
Fascinating story, @Approaching Infinity! The reincarnation aspect made me wonder if perhaps Andreas Northam was actually Dienach's future self, and with both selves suffering a neurological condition, it created a rare sort of "psychic alignment" that allowed Northam's "past" consciousness to inhabit his future body while his future body recovered? Then once both bodies had sufficiently recovered, psychic regulation was restored, and Dienach "fell asleep" and woke up in his usual body, presumably as Northam regained consciousness in the future?

From the description, it sounds like Northam inhabited a 4D STO future, which Dienach might have "translated" into 3D as best he could, so some or many of the details, especially the timing, might be incorrect or out of context, but the "Nibelvirch" does quite sound like a symbolic representation of the Wave!

And if this is the case, you'd have to high five your past self for connecting you up with your soul mate while you were laid out in a coma! 😄

Jokes aside, this all seems like one more thing designed to create confusion and conformism.

Yes, I share your view.

There is quite a number of youtube videos on the Dienach story. I recently saw one of them(but cannot remember which one). The youtuber tried hard to trace the origin of Dienach in Switzerland and came up empty. It is quite likely that Dienach is/was a mere fictional person.

There is quite a number of youtube videos on the Dienach story. I recently saw one of them(but cannot remember which one). The youtuber tried hard to trace the origin of Dienach in Switzerland and came up empty. It is quite likely that Dienach is/was a mere fictional person.
That looks like a distinct possibility. A cursory search doesn't turn up much at all about Dienach, but it looks like there aren't any records of him, based on what little there is. So it looks like it could have been essentially a sci-fi novel presented as "real." Regardless of Dienach, though, the sleeping sickness is might be the real mystery here!

Yes, I share your view.

The student who was entrusted with the manuscript, and later translated it, gave this as a possibility.
George Papahatzis tried to track down information about Dienach, by visiting Zurich twelve times between 1952 and 1966. He could not find a single trace of him, nor any relatives, neighbors, or friends. Dienach, who is thought to have fought with the Germans during World War I, probably never gave his real name in Greece, a country that had fought against the Germans.
FWIW...

Back
Top Bottom