Pregnancy diet linked to children’s mental development and intelligence

H-KQGE

Dagobah Resident
I don't know what to make of this one. Are they saying that they didn't know that what the mother puts into her body can effect the development of the child? Weird.

http://health.india.com/news/pregnancy-diet-linked-to-childrens-mental-development-and-intelligence/

A new study has found that what you eat during your pregnancy can have a significant impact on the mental development of your child. Researchers looked at the effect of, B-vitamins, folic acid, breast milk versus formula milk, iron, iodine and omega-3 fatty acids, on the cognitive, emotional and behavioural development of children from before birth to age nine.

Professor Cristina Campoy, who led the project, said that short term studies seem unable to detect the real influence of nutrition in early life, asserting that ‘NUTRIMENTHE was designed to be a long-term study, as the brain takes a long time to mature, and early deficiencies may have far-reaching effects. So, early nutrition is most important.

Many other factors can affect mental performance in children including; the parent’s educational level, socio-economic status of the parents, age of the parents and, as discovered by NUTRIMENTHE, the genetic background of the mother and child. This can influence how certain nutrients are processed and transferred during pregnancy and breastfeeding and in turn, affect mental performance.

Cristina Campoy said that it is important to try to have good nutrition during pregnancy and in the early life of the child and to include breastfeeding if possible, as such ‘good nutrition’ can have a positive effect on mental performance later in childhood.

I don't get why they thought that the long term effects of early childhood nutrition would be seen in the short-term studies, especially as they're talking about brain development. Apparently eating ghee doesn't help lubricate the birth canal to make things easier. :huh:

The statements in the article do sound self-evident. The aim of the actual study is likely more complex, as it involves creating a large database of health data on Indian youngsters, from which more information can eventually be mined. Also, there seems to be a genuine need for basic health education in the community, which the study will help provide. Overall, it is "local news".

Hildegarda said:
The statements in the article do sound self-evident. The aim of the actual study is likely more complex, as it involves creating a large database of health data on Indian youngsters, from which more information can eventually be mined. Also, there seems to be a genuine need for basic health education in the community, which the study will help provide. Overall, it is "local news".

All true. I've come across a few of these articles from India in the last few days (i'm sure the SOTT editors saw them) but not as seemingly self-evident as this one. I probably should have put one of those forward instead but i had a lot of other articles to wade through. This (thinking on what you've said triggered the memory) seems to be another part of the database that they're creating for general health education, which i read in one piece that actually said database building. Thanks for clearing that up.

Humorously, I wonder if there is a distinct segment of the study that follows the beneficial effects of chocolate on the diet of mothers and children?

Here's Why You Should Avoid Acetaminophen Use During Pregnancy​

Story at a glance:
  • Although most consumers believe that over-the-counter medications are safe and effective, recent data offers more evidence that acetaminophen during pregnancy increases your child's risk of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
  • Using acetaminophen during pregnancy can also increase your child's risk of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Acetaminophen is found in over 600 medications that are commonly consumed, making it easy to cross the line between a safe dose and a harmful one
  • Data show that children who are exposed to acetaminophen after birth to reduce fever and discomfort after vaccination may also have an increased risk of autistic disorder
  • I believe it's important to stay away from as many potential toxins as possible to protect the health of your child. Besides steering clear of alcohol, street drugs and unnecessary prescription drugs, consider avoiding plastic children's toys, using glass for food and beverage storage, installing a whole-house water filter, using only natural cleaning products and toiletries, and avoiding any products with "fragrance"

Attachments

• avoid-acetaminophen-use-during-pregnancy-pdf.pdf
    175.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Data show that children who are exposed to acetaminophen after birth to reduce fever and discomfort after vaccination may also have an increased risk of autistic disorder
Interesting how the author(s) 'diverted' the reader's attention from the vaxx to relief seeking drug for the vaxx side-effects as a potential cause also for the autism, which has been linked (more and more) to the vaxx themselves.

Back
Top Bottom