Raised Terror threat in Uk...Apparently

Here we go!

Considering you can swim the channel, i am only slightly concerned. Though i'm not the best swimmer, i'll invest in an inflatable rubber ring just in case.

So we have, the coordination of world powers, due to the imagined/contrived terror threat - thus far: USA + UK + Australia. And Cameron's 'new powers' will be to seal the island off like a prison on lockdown. I expected as much.

Twitter:

@JLLLOW · 4h

Britain and Australia are mirroring each other's counterterrorism legislation: permanent powers, incitement, travel
_http://t.co/ZM3cfh0SQe

@corbettreport
Kerry: 'airstrikes alone' will not defeat 'genocidal' #ISIS militants; we need "world coalition" -

_http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/30/john-kerry-global-coalition-isis-iraq-syria-nato …

@JLLLOW · 4h

David Cameron Announces New Powers To Revoke Passports
_http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/29/david-cameron-terrorism-passports_n_5736490.html …

David Cameron Announces New Powers To Revoke Passports As Terror Threat Level Raised

PA/The Huffington Post
Posted: 29/08/2014 15:30 BST Updated: 29/08/2014 16:59 BST

David Cameron has announced new laws to crack down on terror suspects as he warned that extremism in Iraq and Syria poses a greater danger to Britain than al Qaida.

As the terrorist threat to the UK was raised from substantial to severe, the prime minister said legislation would be introduced so it was easier to seize jihadists' passports.

"What we are facing in Iraq now with Isil (Islamic State) is a greater threat to our security than we have seen before," he told a press conference in Downing Street.

Cameron said the intelligence and security services believed that at least 500 Britons had gone to fight in Syria and potentially Iraq.

Although he stressed that the Government had already taken steps to counter the threat of jihadists returning to commit atrocities, he said it had become clear that there was still a need to fill "gaps in our armoury".

He will be making a statement to Parliament on Monday, giving details. Cameron said the Taliban had harboured and facilitated al Qaida terrorism, but IS was effectively a state run by terrorists.

"We could be facing a terrorist state on the shores of the Mediterranean and bordering a Nato member," he added.

The gruesome murder of US journalist James Foley was "clear evidence - not that any more was needed - that this is not some far off (problem), thousands of miles away, that we can ignore".

Mr Cameron said: "In Afghanistan the Taliban were prepared to play host to al Qaeda, the terrorist organisation. With IS we are facing a terrorist organisation not being hosted in a country but seeking to establish and then violently expand its own terrorist state.

"With designs on expanding to Jordan, Lebanon, right up to the Turkish border, we could be facing a terrorist state on the shores of the Mediterranean and bordering a Nato member."

The statement came as the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) raised the threat level from substantial amid fears over British jihadists returning from Iraq and Syria to carry out atrocities.

The change means a terrorist attack is considered "highly likely", although Home Secretary Theresa May stressed there was no specific intelligence.

"The increase in the threat level is related to developments in Syria and Iraq where terrorist groups are planning attacks against the West," Mrs May said. "Some of those plots are likely to involve foreign fighters who have travelled there from the UK and Europe to take part in those conflicts."

Speculation is mounting that the Government could bow to pressure for terrorism investigation and prevention measures (Tpims) to be beefed up. There have been calls for powers to impose "internal exile" on suspects, a key part of the old control orders regime, to be restored.

Mr Cameron said: "My first priority as Prime Minister is to make sure we do everything possible to keep our people safe...

"The ambition to create an extremist caliphate in the heart of Iraq and Syria is a threat to our own security here in the UK.

"The terrorist threat was not created by the Iraq war 10 years ago. it existed even before the horrific attacks on 9/11, themselves some time before the war.

"This threat cannot be solved simply by dealing with perceived grievances over Western foreign policy. Nor can it be dealt with by addressing poverty, dictatorship or instability in the region - as important as these things are.

"The root cause of this threat to our security is quite clear. It is a poisonous ideology of Islamist extremism that is condemned by all faiths and faith leaders."

Mr Cameron is set to push for more coordinated European action to track jihadists at a summit in Brussels this weekend.

The UK wants to revive a directive that would enable police and security services across the EU to share passenger records.

National leaders have signed off the arrangements - but they have stalled in the European Parliament after MEPs expressed concern about civil liberties and privacy.

Mr Cameron said the Government was taking a "tough, intelligent, patient and comprehensive approach" to the issues.

He stressed that there had already been significant steps, including making it easier to seize passports of suspected British jihadists, and emergency legislation to make communications data available to police and security services was "already delivering results".

But he warned that combating the extremist ideology would take "years and probably decades".

He also insisted that military action should not be ruled out completely - saying that "learning the lessons of the past does not mean there is not a place for our military".

Highlighting the danger of jihadists returning to Britain, Mr Cameron said the "scale of this threat is growing".

"I said very clearly last week that there would be no knee-jerk response," he said. "But we have to listen carefully to the security and intelligence officers who do so much every day to keep us safe."

He added: "It is becoming clear that there are some gaps in our armoury, and we need to strengthen them.

"We need to do more to stop people travelling, to stop those who do go from returning, and to deal decisively with those who are already here.

"I will be making a statement in the House of Commons on Monday.

"This will include further steps to stop people travelling, with new legislation that will make it easier to take people's passports away."

They are right that we sholud wary of extremists. They are called the Government.
I fear that these Draconian powers will authorise measures I have no doubt that they would take anyway.

I don't understand people. The government tell them: be aware!!! very soon we will have a terrorist attack!!!! Very soon and we are sure of that!!!

Then, how come people are not asking: how come you spend millions of millions of millions of pounds or euros and you are un-able to stop a future terrorist attack???? Are we protected or not mister government incompetent that is laughing in my face. Do I look like an idiot? :mad: Specially in UK where you have cameras everywhere. :shock:

People are so concentrated on their Iphones, or the TV or anything else... So I think that people are so zombie that yes, they will do a false flag to make people "react". Fear is a food for the PTB.

Re: Raised Terror threat in Uk...Apparantly

11 missing airplanes in Libya
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2741428/Officials-warn-ELEVEN-missing-airplanes-Libya-used-carry-terrorist-attack-9-11-anniversary.html

Most other links appear to be variations on the same anonymous report linked back to the washington beacon. Very very skeptical about this since the quoted reporter for al Jezerra doesn't come up in search on the site, nor does the story of the missing planes.
There are reports of the takeover of the airport at tripoli. Lots of damage, including planes, but also some shots of planes that didn't look very damaged.
http://www.aljazeera.com/video/middleeast/2014/09/armed-fighters-take-over-libyan-capital-20149282533667602.html

Missing planes don't seem to have the same news oomph they did not so long ago :/
Apologies I can't search further tonight - very late here. I will try again tomorrow.

Who knew the government that has presided over more mass unemployment, cancer patients being told they are fit to work then dying days later, homelessness and rickets in poor children, cared so much!

Not forgetting the countless fire stations which have closed due to lack of council funding, the replacing of police with PCSO's, the fact that if you are robbed the police often don't investigate, and so on..

As well as the centralising of any services has lead to outright collapse in whichever departments it has been implemented.. see the Department of social security and housing benefits and tax credits, now called universal credit, which launched too late, has been rolled out in a only a few places, and those that have, have been pretty poor resulting in people not being paid, ie left without a penny, and told to wait days/weeks whilst it gets sorted. And they have to go the food banks which are now visited by 500,000+ families/people.

So what's going on?
Emergency services 'will have to be integrated', warns Theresa May

Alan Travis, home affairs editor
theguardian.com, Wednesday 3 September 2014 06.01 BST

Home secretary also talks of urgent need to combat new trends in crime, such as remote car theft and smartphone theft

[...]

In a speech in London on Wednesday, May is to warn that the still-large deficit and record stock of debt means that the need for police reform will not end with next year's general election.

The home secretary will tell the Reform thinktank that radical changes in the use of police time are needed if deeper savings are to be found. These might include a drastic reduction in the use of stop and search and an improvement in the care of people with mental health problems, as well as wider criminal justice reform.

[they're speculating that they may stop harassing the minorities which make up the bulk of their arrests? is this to then say "we stopped and it GOT WORSE" ?]
[...]
She says that officials have been working to understand what lies behind the 62% fall in crime recorded by the official crime survey since 1995.
[and yet even with the drop in crime, they're changing their tactics?]

The home secretary says the most obvious and pressing example of the new opportunities for crime was that presented by new technology, and believes the need to develop responses to it is urgent.

May is to cite the example of car thefts in London, a third of which no longer involve taking the owner's keys: "Instead car thieves might break into a car and programme a new electronic key. They might use sophisticated devices to 'grab' the security coding when the owner uses their key so they can use it themselves. And there have been reports that they could even use 'malware' to commandeer vehicle systems via satellites and issue remote control demands to unlock doors, disable alarms and start engines," the text of her speech, released in advance, says.

She says this knowledge can be used to work with the motor industry to improve the resilience of new cars.
[ala breitbart?]

May also highlights a new trend among criminal gangs targeting concerts and festivals to steal smartphones on a massive scale so that they can be sent abroad, reactivated and sold. She says the Home Office is working with industry to find new ways of preventing the reactivation of phones overseas in order to kill this developing criminal market.

The home secretary says this type of crime prevention work is only in its infancy, but that a deeper understanding of the drivers of crime is needed if the huge demand on police time is to be reduced.

To me, this sounds like subterfuge to legislate the centralisation and control of public services; perhaps to quell any further scandals, as well as the ability to 'permit' councils to charge more for services; and more control of peoples electronics, ie. their whole lives.

Just a reminder of how prominent a puppet Theresa May Home Secretary is, and what she is capable of - oh, and the utter hypocrisy of 'securing the borders'
(from 2011)

Theresa May: I won't resign over UK Border Agency row

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15632423

Home Secretary Theresa May: ''The pilot that I authorised did not in any way put border security at risk''

Home Secretary Theresa May has told MPs she will not resign over revelations that UK border checks were relaxed over a four month period.

She said UK Border Force boss Brodie Clark must take responsibility for his "unauthorised actions".

Mrs May allowed some checks on European travellers to be relaxed but says Mr Clark went further in scaling back checks, without her approval.

Labour say it is "shocking" she cannot say how many airports relaxed checks.

Back
Top Bottom