Recommended Books: Discussion

Oh, horror of horrors. LAURA hasn't read all of Beelzebub's Tales?? :scared: That's really funny. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get through, though I do notice that there are some quite funny parts. I was beginning to think I had some kind of undisclosed learning disability. I started on it about 3-4 weeks ago and I'm at about page 200. I was really feeling conflicted about my lack of progress but I figure I'll get through it when I get through it. In the meanwhile there's lots of other sources I can benefit from as well.

Thanks for sharing that. ;)

Tigersoap said:
and I suppose reading it in something else than my mother tongue does not help either.

Now that you mention it, while I was reading it, I noticed that the sentence structure was closer to that of my mother tongue and so I somehow switched off from an English mindset while reading it, which helped.

The concept of 'different way of thinking' among speakers of different languages is difficult to describe to someone who only speaks one language, it's something you have to experience. I have contemplated this phenomenon a LOT. I consciously make a switch in my mind when I speak English, and I don't mean vocabulary and sentence structure, it's something which I'm having great difficulty describing. I don't mean cultural switch either. It's something else. I once heard someone say that the Americans have particle thinking and Russians have wave thinking, and I understood it, because of my own experience with this.

Can't remember in which EU country you were again, Austria I think, but maybe you can give this a shot, since my mother tongue is from European decent. Gurdjieff's way of thinking might be closer to his mother tongue, which might be closer to your mother tongue than to English. I hope this post doesn't sound Greek, no pun intended.

Has anyone else experienced this? It really is difficult to describe and I'm struggling to think of an example.

EDIT: People whom I have known who stutter, when they switch from one language to the other, they don't stutter anymore, and to me there's a link between this and what I have tried to explain above.

I have Beelzebub on CD and it is a lot easier to follow when it's on my iPod for some reason. That's a good alternative for anyone having trouble with the book.

E said:
The concept of 'different way of thinking' among speakers of different languages is difficult to describe to someone who only speaks one language, it's something you have to experience. I have contemplated this phenomenon a LOT. I consciously make a switch in my mind when I speak English, and I don't mean vocabulary and sentence structure, it's something which I'm having great difficulty describing. I don't mean cultural switch either. It's something else. I once heard someone say that the Americans have particle thinking and Russians have wave thinking, and I understood it, because of my own experience with this.
Can't remember in which EU country you were again, Austria I think, but maybe you can give this a shot, since my mother tongue is from European decent. Gurdjieff's way of thinking might be closer to his mother tongue, which might be closer to your mother tongue than to English. I hope this post doesn't sound Greek, no pun intended.

Has anyone else experienced this? It really is difficult to describe and I'm struggling to think of an example.

The language certainly has an influence on the way we think.

I haven't looked far and this article on the sott came up :How the Brain Learns to Read Can Depend on the Language

with intitle:language in the search bar from the sott news page there are others article refering to the subject.

I think I may understand what you're trying to explain, it's like having two different sets of words tied to concept, emotions and so on and they don't necessarily have the same impact in one language or the other, at least that's how I understand it.

It's scary but my wife and I we came up with this English-French pidgin that is really difficult to stop and it is leading to difficulties in speaking french because its the english word that comes out first, or we just mix up the two languages and invent new words. :/
We are talking almost like your regular Jean-Claude Vandamme now :|

Oh and I am from Belgium, speaking french...kinda.

chachachick said:
Oh, horror of horrors. LAURA hasn't read all of Beelzebub's Tales?? :scared: That's really funny. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get through, though I do notice that there are some quite funny parts. I was beginning to think I had some kind of undisclosed learning disability. I started on it about 3-4 weeks ago and I'm at about page 200. I was really feeling conflicted about my lack of progress but I figure I'll get through it when I get through it. In the meanwhile there's lots of other sources I can benefit from as well.

Thanks for sharing that. ;)

I just want ya'll to know that everything isn't exactly for everybody. Some things are easier for one person to read and difficult for another. That's why I wrote the Wave and brought in so many different things and repeated stuff. I would write one chapter, then I get ten emails from people who didn't quite get it. So, I would dig some more, and come at it in a different way.

Now, if I had a lot of TIME available, I would sit myself down and read Beelzebub. And I DO pick it up now and again and read a random part... and I understand what Gurjdieff was trying to do, but with the Cs explaining a lot of things that are very similar to what Gurdjieff was writing about, I just don't think I need to agonize over it.

There are QFS members who have read it more than once and quote it and have a good grasp of it and I learn from them. And of course, as I mentioned, Ark has read it more than once... so if a person really can't grok it, don't feel stupid!

Tigersoap said:
Oh and I am from Belgium, speaking french...kinda.

And I thought you were from Gotham City :D.
So were you reading in english or french?
I`m still curious to read the book in german and wondered how different it would be.
Since the german ed. is horribly expensive I`ve read "Madame & Company`s ;) wiseacred"
version... gulp.

Laura said:
... so if a person really can't grok it, don't feel stupid!

I already feel a bit less stupid :lol:

Pinkerton said:
I have Beelzebub on CD and it is a lot easier to follow when it's on my iPod for some reason. That's a good alternative for anyone having trouble with the book.

Wow, stunning idea. Any idea where to source the audio book version from?

Flashgordonv said:
Pinkerton said:

Here's one:
_http://triadbooks.sectorlink.org/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=0919608167

And another, from Abebooks.com: http://tinyurl.com/dlu7vo - both very good prices. On Amazon it's selling for almost $150 :shock:

Pinkerton said:
I have Beelzebub on CD

There are actually two audio-versions.
The one quoted is from William Welch. Less known is the CD from 2007,
recorded by then 100 (!) year old Margaret Flinsch, who I believe
was a Gurdjieff pupil. I listened to a recording sample a month
or so ago (one can hear her fake teeth ;)) - I thought it was
quite charming. Unfortunately I couldn`t find the audio-sample-link again!

PS: _http://dolmenmeadoweditions.com/Catalogue-Flinsch-BTTHG.htm
maybe it was this site + they don`t have the sample anymore?

Flashgordonv said:
Pinkerton said:

Definitely a great idea. Since I've already bought the book though, I'm considering reading out loud and recording myself. Then listening to it a second time afterwards. Therefore if Gurdjieff recommends reading each book thrice, I only have to do it twice! ;D

E said:
[...]
Gurdjieff's way of thinking might be closer to his mother tongue, which might be closer to your mother tongue than to English. I hope this post doesn't sound Greek, no pun intended.

It also helped my reading of Beelzebub's Tales to be familiar with more than one language.

There are some thoughts on which language Beelzebub’s Tales were written in:
The text of Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson emerged over a period of time as the result of a set of processes which are closer to the oral tradition of story-telling than to the contemporary notion of a writer sitting down to write his text from beginning to end. Although we do not have an exact record of the many steps through which the Tales came into being we do know that there there were a variety of languages, translations, alterations in response to readings, and a continual process of translation, not only from from other languages into English, but also re-translations from English back into other languages, (some of these processes are mentioned in the notes below). Thus there cannot be said to have been any 'original' version of the Tales from which the final English language version sprung.

I am grateful to Paul Beekman Taylor who gave me much additional information about the processes that led to the 1950 published version of the Tales and which I have incorporated in what follows. Gurdjieff wrote brief notes from which he gave extended dictations, so even if we had the notes they would not give an 'original' text. He destroyed all the notes. Olga de Hartmann says that she took down all of the Tales from Gurdjieff in Russian, but there is no evidence for this and there is evidence to the contrary. Gurdjieff also dictated to Lilly Galumnian in Armenian. When Gurdjieff was in cafes writing notes from which to dictate, he wrote in several different languages, and he never minded mixing languages together.
[...]

And less detailed:
_http://www.gurdjieff.org/beelzebub.htm said:
Originally written in Russian and Armenian, it has twice been translated into English:
This page also mentions a number of reviews and commentaries.

To assist the reading there is a guide:
_http://www.traditionalstudiespress.com/GuideAndIndex.html said:
Guide and Index to “Beelzebub’s Tales to His Grandson”, 2nd edition

The Guide and Index is a reference work which is invaluable for any intensive study of Gurdjieff’s major published work. This second edition of the Guide and Index has been revised and expanded so that it can also be used with either the original 1950 edition of Beelzebub’s Tales or with the 1992 edition (currently out-of-print) which is a revised translation with entirely different page numbers. The Guide and Index can be used with any reprint of the 1950 edition including the currently available 1999 Penguin/Arkana paperback. The Guide and Index also includes:

• the original Russian spelling for all of Gurdjieff’s
uniquely created words
• a suggested pronunciation for these and other words
• editorial notes on words from Eastern cultures and languages which may be unfamiliar to the average Western reader
It is not so cheap though, 60 $ plus shipping.

There is a CD pronunciation guide to the difficult words: _http://www.traditionalstudiespress.com/Pronunciation.html and a Russian version of Beelzebub’s Tales: _http://www.traditionalstudiespress.com/BeelzebubsTalesCD_RU.html

It appears these people take if for granted that the ''uniquely created words'' were all in Russian, but what if Sophia Wellbeloved is right in what she is saying about the 'original language' of Beelzebub's Tales. Not knowing at the time of reading about this controversy over the original language, my limited Russian actually did help.

Other notes about the book: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beelzebub%27s_Tales_to_His_Grandson

Laura said:
I just want ya'll to know that everything isn't exactly for everybody. Some things are easier for one person to read and difficult for another. That's why I wrote the Wave and brought in so many different things and repeated stuff. I would write one chapter, then I get ten emails from people who didn't quite get it. So, I would dig some more, and come at it in a different way.
[…]
and I understand what Gurjdieff was trying to do, but with the Cs explaining a lot of things that are very similar to what Gurdjieff was writing about, I just don't think I need to agonize over it.
[…]
Indeed, and if one compares the impact of reading the Secret History of the World, the Wave Series, the High Strangeness book with the aims that G. put before himself as a writer, those aims appear to be well covered by Laura:

G. I. Gurdjieff in the introduction to Beelzebub’s Tales to his Grandson/An Objectively Impartial Criticism of the Life of Man about the means and purposes of the “All and Everything” series said:
[…]
All written according to entirely new principles of logical reasoning and strictly directed towards the solution of the following three cardinal problems:

FIRST SERIES: To destroy, mercilessly, without any compromises whatsoever, in the mentation and feeling of the reader, the beliefs and views, by centuries rooted in him, about everything existing in the world.
SECOND SERIES: To acquaint the reader with the material required for a new creation and to prove the soundness and good quality of it.
THIRD SERIES: To assist the arising, in the mentation and in the feelings of the reader, of a veritable, non-fantastic representation not of that illusory world which he now perceives, but of the world existing in reality.
And in his last series he writes:
G. I.Gurdjieff in “Life is Real Only When ‘I Am’” page 26 said:
[…]until this time the aim of my inner world had been concentrated only on my one unconquerable desire to investigate from all sides, and to understand, the exact significance and purpose of the life of man.
Gurdjieff in “Life is Real Only When ‘I Am’” page 27 said:
This other newly arisen aim of my inner world was summed up in this: that I must discover, at all costs, some manner or means for destroying in people the predilection for suggestibility which causes them to fall easily under the influence of “mass hypnosis”

This does not mean that I do not think it is good to read Beelzebub’s Tales, it was for me. And how was that? Before beginning the first read and not knowing or having any study aid, I went through the book and wrote ALL Beelzebub’s odd terms down, so as not to become irritated, frustrated or upset by encountering them later on. Then I began reading, while making notes of the terms that interested me, sort of like creating an index, to see how G. evolved his ideas. I kept on developing this throughout the three reads as my interest grew, which of course slowed the reading tremendously, since a term I skipped the first time would interest me the second time and then I would be going back to see where I had first seen it etc. After reading Beelzebub’s Tales three times there are many things and concepts I still do not understand. To be fully understood, I guess they need above all more Being within.

This question of Being also means for me that there will be people, who have never read or heard Beelzebub from cover to cover, but who nevertheless will grasp its essence better than others who have read it a number of times.

When Gurdjieff insisted on people reading three times he had in mind:
G. I. Gurdjieff in the Friendly Advice from Beelzebub's Tales said:
[...]Only then will you be able to count upon forming your own impartial judgment, proper to yourself alone, on my writings. And only then can my hope be actualized that according to your understanding you will obtain the specific benefit for yourself which I anticipate, and which I wish for you with all my being.

From this I gather that everything else equal, if one puts more work into the book the book can give more to the reader. And does that not also hold for a good many other books, whether on mathematics, physics, linguistics, history, psychology, religion, ethics, philosophy, art or fiction? And what if one read the SHOTW or The Wave three times?

When Laura writes “that everything isn't exactly for everybody”, this goes, in my honest opinion, for other books on the reading list as well. Having most of them, I know some of them are and will be read much less intensively than Beelzebub’s Tales, while there will be books I shall need for further understanding and clarification, which are not on the list.

Thorbion said:
This question of Being also means for me that there will be people, who have never read or heard Beelzebub from cover to cover,
but who nevertheless will grasp its essence better than others who have read it a number of times.

While I have no idea inhowfar future readings of the book will deepen my understanding, i strongly feel that you are right in your assessment.

Thorbion said:
When Laura writes “that everything isn't exactly for everybody”, this goes, in my honest opinion, for other books on the reading list as well. Having most of them,
I know some of them are and will be read much less intensively than Beelzebub’s Tales, while there will be books I shall need for further understanding and clarification, which are not on the list.

I absolutely agree! The same could probably be applied to the suggested sequence in which said books should be read. If I knew I would suffer from amnesia soon, I`d suggest to myself to read
the recommended books in a different order more approbriate to my mentality and "pre-existing knowledge"( or better stated, lack of).

Sophia Wellbeloved said:
He destroyed all the notes.

Why doesn`t that surprise me?
As an aside, I`m just right now wondering if she might be behind "John Henderson"?

thorbiorn said:
When Laura writes “that everything isn't exactly for everybody”, this goes, in my honest opinion, for other books on the reading list as well. Having most of them, I know some of them are and will be read much less intensively than Beelzebub’s Tales, while there will be books I shall need for further understanding and clarification, which are not on the list.

That's a slippery slope, there, thorbiorn (and nemo).  Usually, that which we avoid reading is exactly what will do us the most good. Never underestimate the power of 'IT'  - or the ability for your predator (programs) to overestimate yourself -  and to find meaning in a statement Laura makes that has very little to do with the point she was making.  The student does not - and cannot - design the school - and doing only what IT likes will ensure you never get out of the starting gate.

Back
Top Bottom