Rice Milk (Gluten and Sugar Free)

Laura said:
I have to say that it was a blow to have rice taken away from me... I don't eat it a lot (because it did tend to bother me, but I thought it was the carbs), but it was nice now and again. And so was a little rice milk with cocoa and xylitol.

So, basically, those of us who are really sensitive are left with buckwheat, quinoa, meat and veggies. So, what did I do?

Last night I made Southern Fried chicken thickly coated with blini batter and well-seasoned buckwheat flour, deep fried in duck fat! And then, pepper gravy... and we had mashed sweet potatoes and green beans sauteed with garlic and onions. Afterwards, a buckwheat vanilla cake and assorted fruit sorbets!

It doesn't matter if I only have three things I can eat, they are going to be combined in different ways, cooked in different ways, and nobody is going to tell me that a gluten/dairy free diet can't be delicious and satisfying!!!!

All right that does, we (the unimaginative) need a cookbook! :lol:

Wonder if I can sell all those bags of brown rice I stockpiled on Ebay? ;D

Mrs. Peel said:
All right that does, we (the unimaginative) need a cookbook! :lol:

Wonder if I can sell all those bags of brown rice I stockpiled on Ebay? ;D

I'm gonna do better than that - I'll make more cooking videos. We've just been nuts around here with the magazine, organizing for the conference, handling EE and FOTCM stuff, etc. We have to keep pushing so we can get over this barrier where we have more work than we can really handle to the other side where we can afford more help!

Yeah, sell the brown rice on ebay.

[quote author=Laura]
I'm gonna do better than that - I'll make more cooking videos. We've just been nuts around here with the magazine, organizing for the conference, handling EE and FOTCM stuff, etc. We have to keep pushing so we can get over this barrier where we have more work than we can really handle to the other side where we can afford more help!
[/quote]

Maybe you can write the scrips for the videos and someone else, who has time and diction, can do it. I can't, it will end up being comedy; but I can help with other things.

edit: maybe something like a channel where people can subscribe and talk and ask for advice.

andi said:
[quote author=Laura]

Maybe you can write the scrips for the videos and someone else, who has time and diction, can do it. I can't, it will end up being comedy; but I can help with other things.

edit: maybe something like a channel where people can subscribe and talk and ask for advice.
[/quote]

Andi, what we need most right now is help on Sott since many of the sott editors have now taken up working on the print magazine.

Laura said:
I have good news and bad news and a question.

The bad news first: it seems that, in addition to lectins, rice has gluten.

The good news: now we can all save money by not eating rice or drinking rice milk!

The question: what do we use as a substitute?

Oh dear......another one.

I have to say though, that that does explain some things. My diet was already good before I started on the Ultra Simple Diet for this second time (or so I thought). I've been doing it for 3 weeks now, and found it very strange to have had strong detox symptoms on day 3. Because during the first time on the diet I hadn't cut out grains or legumes, which I did now, I assumed they were the cause.

What is interesting is that over the first few days I had an incredible craving for grains, specifically for rice. Before this last diet I drank rice milk every day with rice protein, had rice crackers as snacks, and ate brown rice very often....So, I was not totally surprised to find myself wishing to have rice after cutting it out, but, on the other hand, the strong craving feeling didn't feel right. It felt a bit over the top...I haven't tested rice yet, but now I'm curious as to how I will react.
After reading this I don't intend to integrate it on my diet, but I do wish to try it out to see how my body reacts.

Will also be looking at the suggestions for pumpkin and hemp milk, I absolutely love hemp seeds, but it's another ting I haven't yet tested. Thanks for the suggestions for alternatives everyone, it was very useful :)

This is sooooo disappointing -- but good to know. Although I've been cutting down recently, I still eat a lot of rice. I mentioned on the DMSO thread several days ago that I still have a few stubborn skin problems hanging on after eliminating all the bad stuff and treating it in all the ways I know how, and I wonder if this is the reason why. Only one way to find out -- time to put my gloves on and figure out how to do things without rice from now on :rolleyes: Thanks Laura and Psyche for sharing this.

Laura said:
I have to say that it was a blow to have rice taken away from me... I don't eat it a lot (because it did tend to bother me, but I thought it was the carbs), but it was nice now and again. And so was a little rice milk with cocoa and xylitol.

So, basically, those of us who are really sensitive are left with buckwheat, quinoa, meat and veggies. So, what did I do?

Last night I made Southern Fried chicken thickly coated with blini batter and well-seasoned buckwheat flour, deep fried in duck fat! And then, pepper gravy... and we had mashed sweet potatoes and green beans sauteed with garlic and onions. Afterwards, a buckwheat vanilla cake and assorted fruit sorbets!

It doesn't matter if I only have three things I can eat, they are going to be combined in different ways, cooked in different ways, and nobody is going to tell me that a gluten/dairy free diet can't be delicious and satisfying!!!!

This actually made my mouth water. :lol:

I have white rice with sweet potato when the IBS rears up. I'll have to look into the enteric coated probiotics. Those are hard to find in my area, but I'll ask the local organic folks about them. Not having rice will be another blow to enjoying dining out with Hubby. He loves to try different ethnic foods.

We'll see what he thinks of this new challenge....he's quite into baking things. ;)

What about Oat Milk? Do we have an updated list we can look at of what we shouldn't be eating/drinking. i.e all rice must be avoided?

Laura said:
I have good news and bad news and a question.

The bad news first: it seems that, in addition to lectins, rice has gluten.

The good news: now we can all save money by not eating rice or drinking rice milk!

The question: what do we use as a substitute?

Well, that is a blow as rice is a very useful and convenient part of my diet. Quinoa is OK for me, buckwheat not that great, but maybe I should check it again. What about millet? It is a grass:

Wikipedia said:
The millets are a group of small-seeded species of cereal crops or grains, widely grown around the world for food and fodder. They do not form a taxonomic group, but rather a functional or agronomic one. Their essential similarities are that they are small-seeded grasses grown in difficult production environments such as those at risk of drought. They have been in cultivation in East Asia for the last 10,000 years.[1]

Wikipedia said:
The protein content in millet is very close to that of wheat; both provide about 11% protein by weight.

Millets are rich in B vitamins, especially niacin, B6 and folic acid, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. Millets contain no gluten, so they are not suitable for raised bread. When combined with wheat, (or xanthan gum for those who have celiac disease), they can be used for raised bread. Alone, they are suited for flatbread.

As none of the millets are closely related to wheat, they are appropriate foods for those with celiac disease or other forms of allergies/intolerance of wheat. However, millets are also a mild thyroid peroxidase inhibitor and probably should not be consumed in great quantities by those with thyroid disease.

Actually, the comment about no gluten in millet may be incorrect.

Gluten-free society said:
”My 6 year old son has severe Celiac Disease. We started by taking him off of all wheat, barley, rye and oats 2 years ago. I knew that white and brown rice were not great as a nutritional substitute, so I started using Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat, Teff, Corn, and Amaranth. My son did improve, but was still rashy and his Adrenal Glands were severely fatigued. We finally found an Endocrinologist willing to take my sons case, and the first thing he said was get him off of all grains immediately! He told me that even the “Ancient Grains” that I had substituted could contain enough gluten to make my son sick. 99% Gluten Free wasn’t good enough, so we made a commitment that day to go Grain Free. Since the first of the year (when we went grain free) we have seen a dramatic improvement. – Laura B

So millet seems a bit dubious.

I eat brown rice for lunch when I'm at work. Not much, only about one quarter to one third of a cup, with no problems that I'm aware of. Last night though I had rice noodles with dinner, which have been perfectly OK for me in the past. The ingredients in the noodles are organic brown rice flour and water. I hadn't eaten rice noodles for some time and so last night was test of sorts. Oh dear! Hot sweats, ringing in my left ear, unable to relax in bed, stomach felt like a lead balloon, and I could only sleep for four hours and then doze fitfully after that with very disturbed dreams, all of which is quite unusual for me. Ugh! The rice noodles are the only thing in last night's meal that I haven't eaten for some time, so they are going in the bin!

RedFox said:
Agreed! Last saturday I got myself a salmon fillet, coated it in buckwheat batter and shallow fried it in coconut oil (deep fried in duck fat sounds much better though!), followed by frying some thinly sliced sweet potatoes. Fish and chips! (it was closer to fish and crisps).

Sounds absolutely delicious! Did you make up just enough batter for the fish, or do you make a batch and keep it in the fridge?

Laura said:

Right on!! :thup:

I have to say, I'm a little skeptical of the idea that rice contains gluten. Both my father and a good friend are celiac and tolerate rice just fine. It's just hard for me to believe that a minuscule amount wheat flour can set off my dad, but he can wolf down tons of rice with no issue. In fact, I work with gluten intolerant individuals regularly and they all show remarkable improvement after removing gluten from their diets even though they continue to eat rice. If it does in fact contain gluten, how can we explain this? Is it a different type of gluten, maybe? Not that I'm doubting what's been said here, but do we have this on good authority? Is it backed up by any hard evidence? The issues with rice people have mentioned here could be explained by lectins, not necessarily gluten.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next issue of TDCM to get the info on this. I'll cut out rice in the meantime to see how things go. This just doesn't seem quite right to me :/

dugdeep said:
I have to say, I'm a little skeptical of the idea that rice contains gluten. Both my father and a good friend are celiac and tolerate rice just fine. It's just hard for me to believe that a minuscule amount wheat flour can set off my dad, but he can wolf down tons of rice with no issue. In fact, I work with gluten intolerant individuals regularly and they all show remarkable improvement after removing gluten from their diets even though they continue to eat rice. If it does in fact contain gluten, how can we explain this? Is it a different type of gluten, maybe? Not that I'm doubting what's been said here, but do we have this on good authority? Is it backed up by any hard evidence? The issues with rice people have mentioned here could be explained by lectins, not necessarily gluten.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next issue of TDCM to get the info on this. I'll cut out rice in the meantime to see how things go. This just doesn't seem quite right to me :/

Yes, I thought the same as well. However, on Dr. Peter Osborne's, glutenfreesociety.org, you can read this:

_http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/genetic-testing-for-gluten-sensitivity/ said:
Unfortunately traditional tests for gluten sensitivity are often incorrect!

Why? They only measure a fraction of how a person’s immune system can react to gluten. Add to the problem that different grains contain different types of gluten. Blood tests only measure the gluten found in wheat (gliadin). The other problem is that people react to gluten in different ways. Some people have immune reactions, some have intestinal problems, some develop psychological problems, some suffer with migraine headaches, psoriasis, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, multiple sclerosis… The list is over 200 diseases long. I can’t even begin to tell you how many patients have come to my office after they were already biopsied or blood tested and told that they did not have gluten intolerance only to find out that their gene DNA tests were positive.

So, it does seem that the issue with gluten is more complex then it initially appeared. Different people will likely react differently to different types of gluten. I'm starting to think that our bodies are really not that prepared to consum grains.
The remarks I found here and there on the forum regarding how our far ancestors ate, seem to indicate a preponderance of animal products with veggies.

Franco said:
What about Oat Milk?

Hi Franco,

Oats have gluten as well.

Endymion said:
RedFox said:
Agreed! Last saturday I got myself a salmon fillet, coated it in buckwheat batter and shallow fried it in coconut oil (deep fried in duck fat sounds much better though!), followed by frying some thinly sliced sweet potatoes. Fish and chips! (it was closer to fish and crisps).
Sounds absolutely delicious! Did you make up just enough batter for the fish, or do you make a batch and keep it in the fridge?

I had run out of pancakes, so cooked some for desert (I always tend to cook pancakes in my frying pan first, followed by the main course...mostly I steam fish in the microwave, but may start pan frying it now). I left enough batter in the jug for 2 to 3 pancakes, and just dipped the fish in it. Put the pan on a slightly lower heat than for the pancakes, put the fish in batter in, and covered the fish with the remaining batter from the jug. It was a bit like a pineapple fritter with all the batter, but I really enjoyed it! I cooked the fish for about 5 minutes each side (may have been too long?), and split it in the middle to check it was cooked.
I cooked the chips last, using a higher heat (slightly hotter than I would for pancakes) and not quite enough coconut oil to cover them, but enough to fry them in. The sweet potato slices will turn pail, then start to brown around the edges a little, this is when you need to flip them (if they are not browning your oil may not be hot enough...don't smoke the oil though!)

dugdeep said:

Yeah, I couldn't find much information on rice containing gluten when I did a search yesterday. The only thing I found was this:

_http://gfkitchen.server101.com/rice.htm

Is Rice Really Gluten Free ?

In the past year there has been a great deal of debate as to whether rice is gluten free or not. The concern with rice is not with the rice
itself, but the coatings that are applied to enriched rice to add vitamins to the grain itself. Rice itself is gluten free, but enriched rice is
rice that has been sprayed with a vitamin coating and some fear that the coating could contain a gluten based grain.
I have been
researching rice and have yet to come across a brand that contains any gluten in the coatings. I have had a difficult time in getting
any particular manufacturer to tell me exactly what is in their enriched rice coating that causes it to stick to the grain. S & W brand did
let me know that the medium they use is cornstarch based, so their product is gluten free; however, this does not tell me that all
manufacturers use this same process across the board.

[...]

So perhaps one has to be careful about finding "gluten free" rice similar to how there are "gluten free" oats, although in the case of rice it is due to the enrichment coating applied to it. Speaking of oats, maybe rice could acquire gluten via the same process that oats does, via cross pollination? I don't know enough about grasses to know exactly how this would work though.

Rice is going to be a tough one for me to give up entirely at the moment, but maybe that's all the more reason to give it up.

[quote author=dugdeep]If it does in fact contain gluten, how can we explain this? Is it a different type of gluten, maybe?[/quote]

[quote author=Wikipedia]Gluten (from Latin gluten "glue") is the composite of two proteins called gliadin and glutenin. These exist, conjoined with starch, in the endosperm of some grass-related grains, notably wheat, rye, and barley. Gliadin and glutenin comprise about 80% of the protein contained in wheat seed...

The stored proteins of maize and rice are sometimes called glutens, but their proteins differ from wheat gluten by lacking gliadin.[/quote]

It appears that celiacs are sensitive to gliadin, so with rice and corn they don’t experience inflammation. That’s not saying it isn’t causing other problems.

Back
Top Bottom