Rocket Stove Mass Heater

monotonic said:
Maybe this topic should be merged with this one:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,30986.msg409791.html#msg409791

[...]

The stove example given at the beginning of this thread contains an insulated burning chamber inside the barrel that allows the fire to get hot enough to burn the smoke particles. Perhaps a gasifier stove would be a less permanent, more portable and flexible version of that idea. Here's a stylish gasifier cookstove:

http://www.stackstoves.com/collection/cookinstack/

Perhaps it's just my internet, yet the link above came with a blocked warning:

Attachments

• Infected.png
    Infected.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 169
Anam Cara said:
I have been interested in rocket stoves (and mass heaters) for some time, and finally purchased a portable one recently, called EzyStove. I like the intelligent, highly efficient design concept of these stoves and enjoy the abundant, free fuel aspect too! :) The day I chose to 'test drive' it was a real miserable, cold, showery day. As most twigs and sticks on the ground were sodden, I cut a couple of dead branches from a spruce tree which was sufficient. The needle-like leaves were ideal tinder and lit first time, and within 5 minutes I could boil a kettle. Every now and again I kept pushing the fuel inside the combustion chamber and cooked bacon and eggs in my frying pan in the equivalent time that it would take on my Coleman petrol stove. I am quite impressed with it :)

It is marketed as "Beautiful design meets outstanding functionality in this high-performance wood-fuelled portable rocket stove" and I think that sums it up quite well. At £75 it seems good value for money. Conventional fuel for cooking may well sky rocket (no pun intended) in the near future, so I think it is a valuable asset to have for my 'preppers kit'.

http://wildstoves.co.uk/rocket-stove-cookers/ezystove-wood-fuelled-camp-stove/

For folks in the US, the biomass stoves from StoveTec looks really good value too!

http://stovetecstore.net/

I know my friend neal (new to the forum) has built these from scratch using cob he may have a few pic's/video's
I can send him the link maybe he might be able to answer some questions.

has anyone looked at waste oil burner's, there very efficient and a fairly easy build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh3cljTTJ2o

I don't see how that can be efficient when most of the heat is being blown out through the flue. I think the furnace in the first post would triumph for efficiency because the output of those huge stone rocket furnaces tends to be room temperature - all the heat goes into the stone or into the room.

However it is useful because it is a way to take advantage of bad oils. I think a small oil burner with a radiator might be efficient. I wonder how the rocket furnace would respond to a steady drip of oil?

Here is a rocket stove that I built, it's for cooking on though.

rocket1.jpg

This is the rough brick form with a two ring stove to the right for smaller pots. No cement was used only cob (clay, sand and straw)

rocket2.jpg

It was built to take a 20ltr pot. I think I left a gap of about two fingers around the outside for the smoke to escape. The three stones are for the pot to sit on, maintaining the gap at the bottom.

rocket3.jpg

It may be clearer in this one

rocket4.jpg

Here it is "plastered" with cob, the cracking is probably due to too much sand in the mix. You finish with a few coats of cow dung which gives it a more or less waterproof surface.

rocket5.jpg

Trying it out for the first time. When lit at first it went off like the afterburner on a jet, you couldn't see flames but you could hear them, they were going pretty high as well which made us worry for all the grass roofs around so we put the yellow windbreaker around and it behaved itself.

Note that the pot is fully submerged. This is an efficient system because the flames heat the bottom of the pot and the heat and smoke heat the sides. Cooking times are very quick and require very little wood. Also working with cob is very pleasing, it must be hardwired into us.

On a side note here is a cob house we were working on at the same time.
cob.jpg

An interior shot.
cob1.jpg

Hope these pictures come out right. I'm a newbie

Edit=Fixed image tags. :)

Thanks for sharing Neal! It looks great! :) Yes, working with cob and other natural materials feels good. The cob house looks fab too :)

The pictures show but they're very small.

I like the recessed surface for the pot. How long does it take to boil a liter of water?

Neal said:
Here is a rocket stove that I built, it's for cooking on though.

[...]

Really looks great, and as monotonic said of the recessed surface, that is a nice touch.

Hello people!
Other materials to build a Rocket Stove Heater Mass is mixing equal parts plaster and sand, a mixture is made and poured, for example, in a mold with the necessary measures, this mixture is proven by my brother, who use it to make a forge to melt aluminum (650 ° C / 1200 ° F).
Possibly also can be used to make bricks.

Back
Top Bottom