Some thoughts on the creative process.

SlipNet

The Living Force
I've had an eventful week. As I noted on my post in the "How are you feeling?" thread, I've recovered sporadically from an odd mini psychosis related event earlier in the week. The last few days have taught me a bit about myself. Some parts are shifty, and have peculiar ways and methods devoted to earning my attention. Some do this in a hyperactive manner, as happened to me on Tuesday night, it was awful, I got no sleep. The following morning was heavy and melancholy, as I drank a black coffee and slowly smoked a cig. I was bummed out and dog-tired. Anyway, off the cuff I decided as it was a bright sunny morning I'd go for a walk into town and do some Christmas shopping. A winter walk to clear the mind. It worked a treat, and when I came back I had some fresh insight into the creative energies that manifest within me.

I decided that I'd take a break this month from work-related stuff, just follow my fave channels on Gaza stuff would be enough, and I'd devote some energy to jamming on my Yamaha CS and CP keyboards, and maybe even learn how to basic program my old drum machine. As is probably obvious to anyone who's ever read my posts, I'm a big music enthusiast. From hard rock, prog, psychedelic, jazz rock, folk, fusion, drum n' bass, funk and soul and reggae too,, I cover a lot of ground. So having surmised that I wasn't having enough fun I decided to spend the evening jamming, just to see if I had anything to express that was being restricted in my intense period of news reading, just following the crisis in Gaza. Turned out there was loads of strange emotions, some cathartic jamming was the order of the day earlier on this evening. I jammed a 25 minute piece employing clavinet, fender rhodes, wurlitzer and piano, to surprising effect. I also used a lot of effects such as wah-wah, phaser and delay, and added a ton of reverb as I reached my crescendo. A bit of a shame that I didn't record it actually. It's the most I've come up with this year, I've been mainly focused on writing this year, although my output has slowed of late. A different part of me gets to have some fun and input when I turn to the old keyboards, and from now I intend to jam daily for the rest of this month, and my birthday and Christmas are looming too. I might as well just chill and enjoy myself for a change, I've been very serious and intense since Oct 7th. I'm not working a job at the moment so I've got plenty of time on my hands.

I've noticed that in the different artistic disciplines that notably different i's and parts of the brain become active, depending upon what it is I'm doing. When I write, it's all about the right hemisphere with me. I don't know if that's common, but then I am a recovering schizophrenic of almost 20 years. When I draw or paint, then it's a combination of the two sides. When I play music it's both sides too, with more internal chatter also, and I can very swiftly go into trance-like states when drawing or playing music. I think that's why my mind has been playing tricks on me this week. Some little i's were being starved of expression, and generally I wasn't happy. My mood has improved since jamming earlier on, and thankfully I've managed to remember and consolidate the decent riffs I came up with during the session, and which effects units I'd used. Very handy to have a good memory!:-) I've also been listening to Adrian Utley talking about music in depth today on YT. He's the guitarist and sometimes synth player from the UK trip-hop outfit Portishead. A very talented guy, and an engaging speaker, his knowledge and enthusiasm comes across very well in the interview I link below. He inspires me to continue experimenting, but also to just enjoy going with the flow of the creative process. I hope some of the music fans among you find some value in what he has to say. He's one intelligent dude, and totally focused on his one discipline, completely single-minded.

In closing I just thought I'd ask you all how do you find the creative process manifests for you, and how many of you experience moments of multiple little i manias like I suffered on Tuesday night? I'm just glad I came through the episode unscathed, and now am back happy jamming on my CP. It's been a really weird and unstable week, hopefully things will get better and more coherent from here. Here's the Utley interview, and thanks for reading my latest offering from a kind of "Bizarro World".:cool2:

Last edited:
Just to provide a contextual insight into the creative process behind Portishead, here's the groove man and main creator of the band Geoff Barrow in a 1hr interview. Different kind of vibe to Utley, more restless and questing maybe, and not so into the whole music gear thing. Still a very interesting interview with a genuine bloke and a singular talent. With the addition of singer Beth Gibbons, they went on to fuse hip hop, soul and dark, edgy electronica to a startling effect. Definitely one of the most innovative bands of the 90s.

good on ya mate, being creative is definitely something that helps me navigate this crazy world of ours. In fact I think it's so cathartic that those of who have the "calling" actually need it to stay sane, or so my kinesiologist has told me.

As far as how the creative process goes for me, and I said this on a radio interview many many years ago, when asked the same question, for me it's like channeling, the creative idea comes down from the universe and through me with all my biases and experiences and I colour it with my soul. It's amazing when you just let go of pre conceived notions and just ket it flow what comes out.

cheers for the interviews, love Portishead, Dummy is such an amazing album!

looking forward to hearing some of your tunes soon!!

good on ya mate, being creative is definitely something that helps me navigate this crazy world of ours. In fact I think it's so cathartic that those of who have the "calling" actually need it to stay sane, or so my kinesiologist has told me.

As far as how the creative process goes for me, and I said this on a radio interview many many years ago, when asked the same question, for me it's like channeling, the creative idea comes down from the universe and through me with all my biases and experiences and I colour it with my soul. It's amazing when you just let go of pre conceived notions and just ket it flow what comes out.

cheers for the interviews, love Portishead, Dummy is such an amazing album!

looking forward to hearing some of your tunes soon!!

That's fantastic to learn. I don't think I'm ever actually channelling but then I do go into trance-like phases, so who knows what's going on during those moments? Going with the flow is what comes to mind with me too. Often before, when I approached my CP I'd feel slightly inhibited, because I was still a total noobie, yet I listened to the likes of Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea. Like I'd ever scale those lofty heights, lol?:lol: But that was at the exact moment today when I thought of Miles Davis' advice to his band when he recorded "Bitches Brew"; he told them that "mistakes don't matter, do not fear them". Each duff note can be the springboard to a new and crafty riff, it keeps you on your toes. It's part of why I love the fusion bands of the 1970s, they were utterly fearless, endlessly inventive, keen improvisationally, and amazing technically. A part of me wants to learn how to now make basslines on my CS. Along with getting the hang of my old Korg drum machine. What I realised today is that I had a whole long repertoire going round in my head, and I was anxiously trying to lay as much down as I could onto the CP in the jam session. I guess I have to learn how to become a genuine Cosmic Transducer of Finer Energies. Sounds like a solid ambition! As for Portishead, well they grew out of humble beginnings and they became this amazing baroque "thing", utterly unique but also effortlessly classic. I love them too."Dummy" is a work of genius with real subtle moments. Less is More is definitely their watchword.

On the possibilities of recording, I'm currently researching Tascam 4/8 track recording units, they're not too pricey and look to be fairly intuitive to use. I'll continue jamming this month and see if I can make a purchase in the New Year. The music I'm currently playing is swampy, loads of echo and reverb and occasional wah-wah sections. I don't hide the fact that I'm mainly jamming my own take on 70s Fusion bands, but because I'm a Neophyte I can take chances, make mistakes, and thus learn something new. I'm also working on making my left hand dexterity more sophisticated on the keyboards. I want to be able to provide my own bass notes when in full flow without blunders. My right hand is more nimble at the moment, so I've got plenty of practising to do that's for sure. Thanks for your well-reasoned response, it's a pleasure to take a break from the unremitting grimness of 3d STS reality. As you say, Art is how we nourish our souls in times of trouble and despair. As I find further interviews with artists I love, I'll start archiving them here on this thread. I can think of a good dozen right off the top of my head, but that will have to wait for a later post. I tend to like Artists more when they pass their savoir-fair on to the new generation, it just seems to me to be a just thing to do which continues to provide the incentive for further growth.

That's fantastic to learn. I don't think I'm ever actually channelling but then I do go into trance-like phases, so who knows what's going on during those moments?

Well, it's not that same as what Laura does, to be sure, but I think it comes from a higher plane, whether it's your higher self, the universe, or even Thors Pantheon, or more likely a combination, I think the key is that we be humble, as in, we understand that this gift is a combination of "divine inspiration" and the melding of our 3D emotions and energy, so I guess you could say it's a blending of densities to some extent!? IMO

Going with the flow is what comes to mind with me too. Often before, when I approached my CP I'd feel slightly inhibited, because I was still a total noobie
Absolutely, I would also add, that for me, I talk to my genie (or muse if you like) haha, the original idea came from somewhere on the forum, sorry can't remember where, but the idea is that the creative genie is in the room with you, so you ask for inspiration and let it flow. Again, I think this is about understanding that we transmute what comes through is and are grateful for our "team" of inspirers, thus to some extent removing ego and allowing us to be free to express what ever needs to be expressed, both for ourselves and whomever may listen to it.

And yes totally, Miles is on the money with that idea, there are no rules if you are approaching being creative with joy and gratefulness!

I guess I have to learn how to become a genuine Cosmic Transducer of Finer Energies. Sounds like a solid ambition!
I might say here that you already are!! You just need to embrace it ;)

On the possibilities of recording, I'm currently researching Tascam 4/8 track recording units, they're not too pricey and look to be fairly intuitive to use. I'll continue jamming this month and see if I can make a purchase in the New Year.

haha I started my recordng journey many years ago on a tascam 4 track! Not sure if you have considered this, but how do you feel about getting an audio interface for your computer and some recording software? TBH I have found it game changing, it opens up massive worlds of sound and tracking possibilities. Once when I did an audio engineering course, it was all analogue tape machines and massive amounts of outboard gear, that cost 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars, now, with a my mac studio, Logic pro, a midi keyboard (i also have a midi pickup on my gibson guitar) I can literally create ANYTHING!

Thanks for your well-reasoned response, it's a pleasure to take a break from the unremitting grimness of 3d STS reality. As you say, Art is how we nourish our souls in times of trouble and despair.

My pleasure, and I agree, I think it's also a way to process all these negative 3D things, even if it's subconscious, thats why not all music is happy, sometimes we need to vent, and IMO.

As I find further interviews with artists I love, I'll start archiving them here on this thread
Yeah awesome, always happy to watch inspiring things like that!! cheers!!

Not sure if you're a Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) fan, but he has given some great interviews on creativity and his process.

I might say here that you already are!! You just need to embrace it ;)

That's definitely my aim anyway!:lol: Doesn't matter how long it takes, love the journey, not the destination.

haha I started my recordng journey many years ago on a tascam 4 track! Not sure if you have considered this, but how do you feel about getting an audio interface for your computer and some recording software? TBH I have found it game changing, it opens up massive worlds of sound and tracking possibilities. Once when I did an audio engineering course, it was all analogue tape machines and massive amounts of outboard gear, that cost 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars, now, with a my mac studio, Logic pro, a midi keyboard (i also have a midi pickup on my gibson guitar) I can literally create ANYTHING!

I'd need to buy a new PC if I wanted to use a DAW set-up sadly, my old laptop I currently use is a wheezy old unit, and is slow and ponderous to use with little disk space available. I think a little 4 track jobbie will start me off just fine. I do need to buy a new PC though, it's just a lot of cash to outlay. Maybe in the New Year?

That's awesome to know you've got complete creative freedom. To paint sonically across such a vast canvas must be pretty inspiring. I'm keen to keep my thing a little scuzzy and deliberately Lo-Fi, if you know what I mean? I like that feeling where you can almost hear the dust on the equipment. For under a hundred quid I can get hold of a means of capturing my jams for posterity, and that sounds like a workable plan for now. It's given me a real shot in the arm doing this, it's energised me considerably and looks like it'll prove to be a very enjoyable enterprise.

Also, feel free to post further interviews that you find to be interesting, the more the merrier on that front. Come one come all to the grand creative ball. I'll be sure to add a couple more over the next few days, I know I've found a whole slew of Genesis ones that are essential listening for creatives. I'll add them in a moment.

These are the Genesis interviews that are an absolute goldmine for prog fans. All the principle players are featured here, except for ex-vocalist Peter Gabriel, an Artist I much admire. These long form chats provide a unique glimpse into the dynamics of a successful working band unit. Well worth a watch IMHO. Enjoy if you can spare the time.

Another selection, this time from Pink Floyd, the 4 main guys from the classic band lineup featured here. Such a shame that Waters and Gilmour can't stand the sight of each other. A good selection of chats here, the one with Gilmour is laconic, the one with Waters is lucid, and the one with Wright is endearing. he comes across as a sensitive soul. Nick Mason is a shrewd character too.

Also I'd recommend director John Edgington's YT channel, he's the guy behind these and the Genesis interviews. He asks intelligent questions and then just sits back and lets the star take the floor and opine at will. Great stuff on Floyd in these interviews. RIP Richard Wright and Syd Barrett, gone but never forgotten. A wise, world weary band who could channel the frustrations inherent in the human condition. Makes me want to listen to "Animals"!:-) Reader be forewarned: the list of interviews I plan to list here on this archive is pretty huge, but they're all fascinating. I hope to make an artistic contribution in this small way.

As for documenting my love of fusion, these are a couple of decent features on Weather Report (an amazing wigged out, bass throbbing jazz rock behemoth), and special note for keys man Joe Zawinul. They took jazz fusion to places no-one had been to before. I still recall the first time I heard the track "Mysterious Traveller", the bass line gripped me for days on end, a proper ear worm! I'll include it below for good measure. Thank God for music is all I can say today, it's providing me with a safe way to vent at a very unsettling time.

I'd need to buy a new PC if I wanted to use a DAW set-up sadly, my old laptop I currently use is a wheezy old unit, and is slow and ponderous to use with little disk space available. I think a little 4 track jobbie will start me off just fine. I do need to buy a new PC though, it's just a lot of cash to outlay. Maybe in the New Year?

Yeah I get it.. they are not cheap, fingers crossed for the new year!

I'm keen to keep my thing a little scuzzy and deliberately Lo-Fi, if you know what I mean? I like that feeling where you can almost hear the dust on the equipment. For under a hundred quid I can get hold of a means of capturing my jams for posterity, and that sounds like a workable plan for now. It's given me a real shot in the arm doing this, it's energised me considerably and looks like it'll prove to be a very enjoyable enterprise.

Totally understand that, I've actually run some digital recordings back through analogue tapes to get that feel, it's fun to see how it changes it. FWIW there's also a heap of lo-fi and tape saturation plugins now and they're really good too!! ;)

also in case you have never checked out these guys, coz you like prog check out OSI ;)

thanks dude, some awesome stuff here... might take me a while to get through it all but some great creative viewing!! :headbanger::cool2:

No problem, I'm happy to share fascinating creative material at the moment. It's been a while since I really threw myself back into music, about 2 years or so, so I understand that I'm in the "honeymoon" period. I just gotta keep things fresh and improvisational, a serendipitous trip if you will.

I've found producer Rick Rubin's YT channel to be great for rock interviews. I include 2 below. Pete Townsend is a mercurial figure. Very astute and concise as a songwriter. I bought 4 Who albums last week and they were thrilling to listen to. The other interview is with former Led Zeppelin front man Robert Plant. I love Plant, he's a bit of a cult hero to us in Wales as he's very keen on the local culture. He visited one of my old watering holes earlier in the summer, it made the local papers. "Rock Star drinks cider in Solva", lol.:lol: His interest in African rhythms keeps his solo work fresh and inventive. There's never been a better time to be into music, the technological possibilities are now seemingly infinite. the archives of great music documentaries is enormous too. Honestly, I haven't even got started on the list of good music features I could put on here. Enjoy these 2 for now I suppose.

Just to sign off now to make my tea, I found these 2 documentaries on the formative years of The Rolling Stones. Amazing to think that these bunch of working class kids from Dartford would go on to create what they did.

Another interview with Tony Banks of Genesis. He's a man who thrives in collaboration with like minded players.

He was an alcoholic and a pot-head who imbibed lsd regularly, but Jim Morrison had plenty to say about the human condition. I read a biography on him about 5 years back and I was left feeling sad that he didn't have any real social network, just surrounded by users and opportunists on every side. A wise soul who was hurt young in life, if the book I read is to be believed. He sought ultimate transcendence but sailed too close to the sun. The third vid captures their incendiary live repertoire.

Back
Top Bottom